• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

juicyb

Wait, seriously? I was reading about just straight up warping towards the center normally and that would equate to 1500LY traveled without having to worry about shit breaking.

Shaneus

This is where I'm at since yesterday arvo:
Just got blueprints for AtlasPass v1
Landed on a planet with copious amounts of gold, vortex cubes and gravitational balls (or whatever they are)
Just bought a ship with boobs because it had three extra slots than my last ship. Plus, boobs.

And I can't freaking wait to dive back into it. Really loving this game. Really only disliking the slot restrictions, especially on the vortex cubes... can they be stacked?

And I can't freaking wait to dive back into it. Really loving this game. Really only disliking the slot restrictions, especially on the vortex cubes... can they be stacked?

There's a bug/feature where if you dismantle a ship upgrade and it gives you an item you normally are unable to stack e.g. a vortex cube, that you can stack them on that item up to 100. I can't remember which upgrade dismantles to a cube however. Someone else here will chime in shortly I'm sure!

There's a bug/feature where if you dismantle a ship upgrade and it gives you an item you normally are unable to stack e.g. a vortex cube, that you can stack them on that item up to 100. I can't remember which upgrade dismantles to a cube however. Someone else here will chime in shortly I'm sure!

There's also a bug/feature where transmission towers in Gex systems (and only Gex systems, and only on the first patch) will allow you to enter the same equation repeatedly, allowing you to find multiple crashed ships from a single location. Do that to get tons of crash sites on your radar, keep swapping for ships with one more slot than you, and eventually you'll start getting ships with a lot of technology upgrades. Breaking them down before swapping for another ship will give you stackables in lots of things that normally occupy a single slot; carite sheets, microdensity fabric, vortex cubes, neutrino modules, dynamic resonators, dimensional matrices and gravitino balls will all stack to 100/100 rather than 1/1 with this method.

-EDIT- The Vortex Cube specifically stacks from breaking down Beam Impact Theta.

KDR_11k

I wish rain didn't fall perfectly vertically during storm conditions, that really breaks the bad weather immersion...

Yup, Always Grenade those Op Centre Doors :)

I just use my boltcaster that oneshots drones. Dunno why I started using the boltcaster but I'm still looking for those water spheres to give it homing shots. I hate how it moves so much when you move a bit like the Pale Wing's particle cannons in EDF 2.

Guess who just got a new ship last night?? Not me! I swear I'm going to be stuck with this pre-order ship forever. I found a ship last night that was 95% awesome, but just didn't look quite right.

I wish we could just flip through a catalog of procedurally-generated ships and buy whatever we want. I do enjoy seeing a cool new ship land, but trying to find the perfect one this way is frustrating.

EDIT: okay, am I tripping? I swear I've never seen weather conditions when flying around with my ship before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibj_OteJ368

Those have always been there, when flying at low altitudes.

magawolaz

Those have always been there, when flying at low altitudes.
Nope, at least not with snowy weather or acid rain (just found a planet with acid rain, and it clears as soon as I take off).

Probably a bug, or it's just available for simple (non toxic) rain?
There's no performance hit as far as I can tell, it's pretty cool. I remember threads on reddit and Steam forums about the lack of weather when flying

Nope, at least not with snowy weather or acid rain (just found a planet with acid rain, and it clears as soon as I take off).

There's no performance hit as far as I can tell, it's pretty cool. I remember threads on reddit and Steam forums about the lack of weather when flying

Um ...yes? I've seen weather conditions when flying for most hazard types. I think it depends on the severity of the storm.

Number45

I wish rain didn't fall perfectly vertically during storm conditions, that really breaks the bad weather immersion...
Does weather even show when you're in a building looking out, or from the cockpit of your ship?

Um ...yes? I've seen weather conditions when flying for most hazard types. I think it depends on the severity of the storm.
Interesting, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any. PS4 if that makes any difference.

magawolaz

But that wasn't even during a storm.

This is an extreme acid storm, and the weather clears after taking off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPd8p5xqfc
^ I've always experienced this in 60+ hours of playing since day1 -- that's why the weather in the other video stood out to me.

EDIT: oh yeah I'm playing on PS4. Not sure how the situation is on PC.

There's also a bug/feature where transmission towers in Gex systems (and only Gex systems, and only on the first patch) will allow you to enter the same equation repeatedly, allowing you to find multiple crashed ships from a single location. Do that to get tons of crash sites on your radar, keep swapping for ships with one more slot than you, and eventually you'll start getting ships with a lot of technology upgrades. Breaking them down before swapping for another ship will give you stackables in lots of things that normally occupy a single slot; carite sheets, microdensity fabric, vortex cubes, neutrino modules, dynamic resonators, dimensional matrices and gravitino balls will all stack to 100/100 rather than 1/1 with this method.

-EDIT- The Vortex Cube specifically stacks from breaking down Beam Impact Theta.

Pretty sure this was fixed, wasn't it?

KDR_11k

I finally found the Atlas Pass v3 recipe (Korvax OpCenter, the event seemed like they were trying to figure out the travelers or "unknown lifeforms"), never seen the v2. I love how the reward is essentially easy access to suit upgrades when it takes so long to get the Atlas Pass that you likely don't need any further upgrades...

Also I'm glad that I don't care about the looks of my ship or tool.

But that wasn't even during a storm.

This is an extreme acid storm, and the weather clears after taking off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPd8p5xqfc
^ I've always experienced this in 60+ hours of playing since day1 -- that's why the weather in the other video stood out to me.

EDIT: oh yeah I'm playing on PS4. Not sure how the situation is on PC.

I don't think I've ever been in an extreme acid storm, but ice and heat storms definitely persist in-air, at least when you're at a low altitude, or at least that's been my experience. In the early days (probably 1.03) I do remember some storms would just disappear when taking off, but I haven't seen that happen in a long time. I'm on PS4 as well.

I'm not sure about regular incidental weather, like snowfall. I did have rain falling, with the tapping sounds, while flying last night, as in your first video. Sometimes I see hazy clouds in the air when flying, but am never sure if this is part of the general atmosphere of a planet, or a weather pattern.

Raist

Banned
Only noticed now, as these things are pretty rare, but it seems they've fixed/improved the bounty hunting missions. Nice.

magawolaz

I don't think I've ever been in an extreme acid storm, but ice and heat storms definitely persist in-air, at least when you're at a low altitude, or at least that's been my experience. In the early days (probably 1.03) I do remember some storms would just disappear when taking off, but I haven't seen that happen in a long time. I'm on PS4 as well.

I'm not sure about regular incidental weather, like snowfall. I did have rain falling, with the tapping sounds, while flying last night, as in your first video. Sometimes I see hazy clouds in the air when flying, but am never sure if this is part of the general atmosphere of a planet, or a weather pattern.
That's very interesting. I turned off the music and I can indeed hear the rain tapping on the ship, even when flying. Very cool!

So you get weather effects pretty much all the time when flying around a planet?

I've been in every possibile weather condition and they never persisted when taking off.
I tried counting the frames in my video and there's no performance hit as far as I can tell.

That's very interesting. I turned off the music and I can indeed hear the rain tapping on the ship, even when flying. Very cool!

So you get weather effects pretty much all the time when flying around a planet?

I've been in every possibile weather condition and they never persisted when taking off.
I tried counting the frames in my video and there's no performance hit as far as I can tell.

No, I wouldn't say all the time. Of course the non-storm weather effects can be subtle, so I don't always pay attention. But I'd say the majority of ice and heat storms persist in-air for me at low altitude. For some reason I've encountered very few acid planets, and almost no normal rainy planets, so I don't have much data to compare for those weather types.

It is odd that you are not seeing the same thing, and so it might depend on a particular planet's weather variables, or the extremity of the storm. I remember being in an extreme storm on a planet that got down to almost -300C and the winds were whipping about so fiercely it was actually hard to see land features when flying. It'd be cool if those kind of intense visibility reductions happened more often. I also wish they persisted higher in the atmosphere (and when viewing from inside buildings), but there might be performance reasons for that.

The next time I see a storm while flying I'll try to record a video.

magawolaz

No, I wouldn't say all the time. Of course the non-storm weather effects can be subtle, so I don't always pay attention. But I'd say the majority of ice and heat storms persist in-air for me at low altitude. For some reason I've encountered very few acid planets, and almost no normal rainy planets, so I don't have much data to compare for those weather types.

It is odd that you are not seeing the same thing, and so it might depend on a particular planet's weather variables, or the extremity of the storm. I remember being in an extreme storm on a planet that got down to almost -300C and the winds were whipping about so fiercely it was actually hard to see land features when flying. It'd be cool if those kind of intense visibility reductions happened more often. I also wish they persisted higher in the atmosphere (and when viewing from inside buildings), but there might be performance reasons for that.

The next time I see a storm while flying I'll try to record a video.
Thanks, I'll experiment more tomorrow. Very odd indeed, mostly because seeing the weather clearing up every time you take off is really immersion-breaking, and light fog seems doable on PS4.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It seems like I see a new thing everyday, even ship types which I was sure I'd seen them all weeks ago.

I wish I knew how many hours I've put in the game (PS4).

Shoeless

Anyone have any tips for finding all the animals on a planet? I'm surprised to say that I'm still on my original home system because there's one last animal on my list that I absolutely cannot seem to track down. I've spent hours swimming during the day and night, wandering the landscape during the day and night and even just aimlessly exploring caves, and I can't track down this last one. Is it possible that the game is bugged, or am I just having tremendously bad luck?

mokeyjoe

I believe they tweaked the weather while flying thing in a recent patch, increased the altitude or something. I saw some other people commenting on it after a recent update.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Images from my latest photo expedition:

nDH0syX.png

oFfy6YF.png

s8mAEQ9.png

magawolaz

I believe they tweaked the weather while flying thing in a recent patch, increased the altitude or something. I saw some other people commenting on it after a recent update.
Dunno, I visited many planets after the latest patch and never experienced weather while flying (up until yesterday anyway).

I really hope they make it available on all stormy planets: visibility gets low, but maybe they could add better scanners to the ship?

Fired this up last night after a week long break playing BF1.
Feels good man.

Basically I set myself objectives every couple nights when I play whether its mining and selling resources for dough, mining resources for technology installations, exploring planets or doing the Atlas Interface story.

Still enjoying the game quite a lot, just taking it easy to not suffer burn out.
My only question right now is why is nickel so damn hard to find? Need that for a pulse engine upgrade heh.

Raist

Banned
What are those Bounty Hunt missions?

They spawn very rarely. You'll get a warning about it (like the pirates scanning/attacking you thing), and have to take down a ship.
The ship doesn't come for you, but will attack if you get too close.

There's a "difficulty" level (indicated by stars) which as far as I can tell is based on the enemy ship's upgrades. The reward will depend on that level.

Before 1.08 there would be no on-screen indication and I don't know if the ship wouldn't even spawn because in many cases I couldn't see it anywhere. Scanning wouldn't help either. Now its position is indicated on the top of the HUD (on that black ark marker thing, just like landmarks, your ship etc) so it's easier to find.

Top Bottom