• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Has anyone managed to get a decent flight stick control scheme mapped out? The controls are so arcade-y that I can't seem to get it down, though I'm a little new to the flight stick game.

OuterLimits

I'm sure that duplicate NPCs havet been more frequent since the patch for me. I don't mind if they have what i need but i swear one of them was following me around the planet in my last session! I know i tipped well by buying Gold at 3% over market but come on, it's a bit needy and annoying after a while :D

Yeah, I have been noticing some duplicates as well.

Also, had anyone been getting crashes again? I had two of them in last 12 hours of play. It seems to have gotten worse for me since 1.8.

Also, had anyone been getting crashes again? I had two of them in last 12 hours of play. It seems to have gotten worse for me since 1.8.

Any consistency as to when it crashes? I haven't had a single crash since 1.05. Prior to that though, it was crashing pretty frequently, especially between 1.04 to 1.05.

Nameless

So are there noticeable visual improvements with the latest patch? Haven't had a chance to fire it up since the update.

I can confirm that Extreme Survival is fixed with 1.7
Landed on a extreme planet and waited until the sols started to increase, went into space, went back and it started where I left of.
To be sure I left the planet again and traveled to another planet and went back, still working.

dM2xuxnJCg4H6.gif

Hello from page 89. And what!? You tell me this now!? :D Although I have enjoyed my time on this freezing cold planet and only have an hour left ;) And it has loads of gold crystals.

OuterLimits

Any consistency as to when it crashes? I haven't had a single crash since 1.05. Prior to that though, it was crashing pretty frequently, especially between 1.04 to 1.05.

Both of them happened when landing on a new planet. About 10 seconds after first exiting the ship. Just walking along and screen freezes. Fortunately the game saved correctly both times before the crash.

Btw, is it my imagination, or is there more variety with the Vykeen and Gek aliens? They don't look like complete copies of each other.

Both of them happened when landing on a new planet. About 10 seconds after first exiting the ship. Just walking along and screen freezes. Fortunately the game saved correctly both times before the crash.

Yeah, exiting the ship was definitely a trigger for some of my crashes but that hasn't happened to me since the 1.05 update. I'd just keep sending in error reports when it happens as that'll help the team sort it eventually (hopefully).

Btw, is it my imagination, or is there more variety with the Vykeen and Gek aliens? They don't look like complete copies of each other.

Do you mean more variety post 1.08 patch? I just encountered my first Vy'keen planet the other day so I haven't seen a ton of them to compare, but the ones I was encountering looked wayyyy different the the ones I saw in screenshots or streams. Gek has some decent variety as well. Seems easier to generate more variety for the Gek and Vy'keen since there's more to work with and it's not just different helmets and "paint jobs" as it is for the Korvax.

Speaking of Gek,
I really like how there are subset of Gek, the SynthiGek. Are there Vy'keen like that as well?
I thought it was a cool narrative thread that isn't really explored, unfortunately.

I'm definitely down for an immersive experience, but I also come to NMS primarily to zone out so my tolerance for immersion breaking things with this game is pretty high. However if NMS had more of a narrative and was more Star Control than MS Flight Simulator 98, I'd probably be a little more peeved at those particular seams showing.

Your suggestion of a HUD overlay on the exosuit is pretty great. I think it's telling that modders haven't really been bringing new content, just tweaks (albeit awesome ones), to NMS thus far. But an inventory HUD overhaul would be a welcome addition (even though I'm on PS4 and will likely never see it, I'd like for it to exist).

Yeah it could be that because I'm doing the main narrative arc of the game (Atlas) right now, so I'm more attuned to immersion. But I guess when someone builds a game world like this, I want it to feel consistent with itself and behave in a somewhat expected way.

For example I think MGSV did a decent job of this – soldiers going to sleep, changing shifts, soldiers responding to missing personnel/equipment, etc. I want to feel like I'm part of a larger society that goes about its business. A couple of aliens sitting in buildings does not equal the kind of Mos Eisley settlements Sean talked about. An NPC who stands behind a bar counter, with no customers, and doesn't even let you order a drink, is not a bar. A group of ships that you can't even talk to on the radio is not a real faction, it's just some anonymous spawned ships that fire weapons at other spawned ships and have no real meaning in the universe.

Yup, I've had two crashes on 1.08, and hadn't had a crash since 1.04. This version definitely feels more buggy.

Minamu

So, uh, SynthiGek are kinda special, aren't they?
Now that I can fully understand them (no fanfare or anything), I found one who apparently was an undercover Korvax?! I can't remember the exact message but he said something along the lines of "disguise is failing, plase give me isotopes" or something, and when I helped him, it said that "his secret is still safe" or similar, something about a secret identity I believe.
Pretty cool :)

Feels kinda strange to have nothing left to do on Gek planets now that I have found all words in their language. It seems like I gathered all upgrades for the suit and multi-tool in less than a week so going to buildings is pretty pointless, except if there's a store front there. Going forward, I think I'll skip out on "exploiting" Carbon usage at vendors for the Korvax and Vykeen and get the words properly, to prolong the game a bit.

Also, not sure if this is common or not, but it seems I've reached the limit on Plaque stories too, the Gek ones have restarted maybe twice now, no idea if I even got to the end. Korvax is also done I think, but I don't recognize their earliest messages so I'm not sure. Kinda sad, I loved going around and finding monoliths and plaques for small cultural details and following along with the backstory.

That said, I'm not done with the game. It's been interesting so far and I've stayed away from the critique news and threads, although i'm familiar with most of the issues. But I don't have the platinum yet and both ship and multi-tool is only at about 20 slots so far, and I still haven't even gotten a Atlas Pass v2 yet :O

somme

I've had no crashes in quite a while. I also don't feel scared to warp or press options which I thought may take months to ween myself off of.

Hoping for more races or blueprints soon, or at least more reasons to talk to NPC's 'cos at the moment I don't really have any. Hoping for less buildings in a later update too.

Still enjoying it though! :D

Raist

Banned
I'll let you in on a little secret about "diversity" of stuff being increased after every patch.

The more you play, the more different stuff you'll likely to see. Amazing, I know :p

Minamu

I had a hard lock today on 1.08 which eventually kicked me out to the PS4 main lobby. I was just happily talking to a random Gek and gathering words when it froze on me. Other than that, it's been pretty stable, even without the patches.

krioto

It may be placebo, but I've managed to 100% three planets since 1.08 - before that - 1 planet.

and I'm very happy that the extreme exposure counter now works.

Was really enjoying the game up until now. Went through a black hole and it damaged some equipment. I think I'm just done looking for things to help repair. I'll be back I just need a long break.
Got my money's worth and liked most of what I played.

I think it's broken again on 1.08 lol

It seems to be working, although I never left the planet just in case. That is, I decided to find a crashed ship for hours...instead of just going down a cave for the hour I needed. I think I may have spent the day flying around the planet without leaving it, only to finish right next to where I started...I spent most of the money I made from the gold I found on suit upgrades...and I didn't even like the ship :D

Minamu

It may be placebo, but I've managed to 100% three planets since 1.08 - before that - 1 planet.

and I'm very happy that the extreme exposure counter now works.
I gave up on scanning planets pretty quickly, because I didn't understand until this weekend that only animals count :lol Sure, you tend to get stuck on 1 or 2 animals but it usually works out with some flying around and looking, in my experience.

torontoml

So I don't get a lot of time to play, therefore I have a question, I've read that if I put similar technology next to each other it compounds or something right. But I can only move elements around, do I really have to dismantle shit and put it back together to get things next to each other? What happens if i build myself into a corner because of limited slots?

Loudninja

So I don't get a lot of time to play, therefore I have a question, I've read that if I put similar technology next to each other it compounds or something right. But I can only move elements around, do I really have to dismantle shit and put it back together to get things next to each other? What happens if i build myself into a corner because of limited slots?
Yeah you have to dismantle them.

For the multi tool if you have beam mining beam upgrades and together they will have a green border.

Yeah, you'll need to dismantle things if you want like upgrades next to one another; it sucks, I know. It does however make the different slot variations on ships and MTs a lot more strategic when picking a new one. As for lining upgrades up, you can tell if they're in "synergy" by a colored outline surrounding them.

juicyb

So I got all the achievements, learned all the words for Gek, Vy'keen and Korvax (not sure about all Atlas words) and did the Atlas story stuff to completion.

Have 20 million in the bank atm and probably just gonna save it until a future update. Mostly been slowly making my way to the center for now.

Has anyone noticed any slight variations when you reach the center and find a new galaxy? That slight variance is one of the few things keeping me going for now. Well, that and pictures haha

Used-ID

I've only found about 450 total words, how do you know when you've learned all the words for a language? Do the knowledge stones start giving you words from another race (stone on a gek world giving you vykeen words)?

Hell, how many words in total are there in the game? Is there a break down of how many words each of the 4 languages have?

sandkiller

So i've been on the same planet for a few hours trying to find the last remaining species when I suddenly see an animal i haven't seen before and my scan shows it with a red dot.

When i rename the species i noticed that it has replaced a previous species on the list
of species to found which means i am still not 100% on that planet. Really frickin' annoying.

screenshots: https://www.scribd.com/document/323224252/NMS-Bug-1-08-PS4

I've only found about 450 total words, how do you know when you've learned all the words for a language? Do the knowledge stones start giving you words from another race (stone on a gek world giving you vykeen words)?

Hell, how many words in total are there in the game? Is there a break down of how many words each of the 4 languages have?

They will literally say (for each language depending on the system) - " learned nothing new".

I think I read there were 1111 words.

Finally found a planet with venom sacs. Except of course I didn't know you got a 3-star for destroying one. The robodog teleported in on a cliff above me, pelting me with laser blasts. Jetpacked up there and took him out, but by that time it the timer was up and I met my first walker. I thought they only came out for 5 stars. I ran away, and ran away, somehow not dying even though the walker tagged me several times.

Finally found a planet with venom sacs. Except of course I didn't know you got a 3-star for destroying one. The robodog teleported in on a cliff above me, pelting me with laser blasts. Jetpacked up there and took him out, but by that time it the timer was up and I met my first walker. I thought they only came out for 5 stars. I ran away, and ran away, somehow not dying even though the walker tagged me several times.

If you 'one-shot' venom sacs you won't get any unwanted attention from the sentinels at all.

somme

So i've been on the same planet for a few hours trying to find the last remaining species when I suddenly see an animal i haven't seen before and my scan shows it with a red dot.

When i rename the species i noticed that it has replaced a previous species on the list
of species to found which means i am still not 100% on that planet. Really frickin' annoying.

screenshots: https://www.scribd.com/document/323224252/NMS-Bug-1-08-PS4

This isn't a bug, as such. There are multiple genders of each creature which can sometimes look quite different. If you don't name them the same thing, the one you name last replaces the first name.

Number45

I'm still having the shittiest luck with new ships. Currently at 28, suit and MT have long been at capacity.

If you 'one-shot' venom sacs you won't get any unwanted attention from the sentinels at all.
Didn't know this. I guess I'll just grenade them in future!

magawolaz

I too found a planet filled with those yesterday
bSIGW0w.jpg

The mining beam didn't trigger sentinels. Maybe depends on the alert level? Or mining beam upgrades?

Got about 20 sacs before heading for the space station. I don't even know what to do with all my money lol.

onken

Finally got to the center. It wasn't *too* bad, I had 53 hours of relative fun with it. Yeah the lack of variety got me down later in the game, the wonky distance physics, the grindy last dash to the end. What was easily most annoying was how it was ALWAYS warp drive theta that broke after a black hole. After it happened a 3rd time almost in a row it was getting ridiculous. Gold isn't too bad but 500 emeril to repair every time? Yeah fuck you, time to reload game. I also never got Atlas pass v2 or 3 for the entire game or a few of the other rarer formulas (vortex cuuuuuuuuuube...) despite always visiting the manufacturing facilities. RNG is all well and good but it does need a guiding hand sometimes.

But still, it can be super pretty to look at. Landing at a crash site, salivating over a new ship was always exciting. Landing on a planet, hitting scan and seeing a ton of exclamation points, awww yeahhh. I do think it's too expensive for what it is but it's not worst game everrrr or anything. I got my hours in but oh boy do I have zero desire to go back.

sandkiller

This isn't a bug, as such. There are multiple genders of each creature which can sometimes look quite different. If you don't name them the same thing, the one you name last replaces the first name.

Even though it shows as a red sot in the scan and they look different ?

El-Suave

I'm closing in on the Platinum trophy but I'm still following the Atlas path and haven't taken the route to the centre even once. Can you complete that "storyline" or is it endless? I feel like I want to make some progress towards the actual destination, but I don't want to abandon the quest if there's an end to it.

I too found a planet filled with those yesterday
bSIGW0w.jpg

The mining beam didn't trigger sentinels. Maybe depends on the alert level? Or mining beam upgrades?

Got about 20 sacs before heading for the space station. I don't even know what to do with all my money lol.

I'm still trying to find a good ship upgrade :/

I've had my first suspected animal scanning glitch last night too. Found a planet with "Abundant" Fauna and a big list of question marks. I've found 15 unique animals, 12 show on the list but it's still saying 93% and a message "All Unique Specimens Found" pops up.

Anyone know if there's a glitch displaying the full animal list when there's lots of animals to find?

Raist

Banned
I'm closing in on the Platinum trophy but I'm still following the Atlas path and haven't taken the route to the centre even once. Can you complete that "storyline" or is it endless? I feel like I want to make some progress towards the actual destination, but I don't want to abandon the quest if there's an end to it.

Yes. You'll need to visit 11 stations to complete it.

Shaneus

So I've finally found the anomaly and now have an atlaspass. First planet I landed on seems to be loaded with warp cubes, gravity balls and gold. Guess I'm mining the shit out of this place then? Stay here as long as I can?

Also, I think the extreme achievement thing applies to anything that's extreme. This planet has extreme drones and I keep getting notifications that I've lasted 1.0 Sol or whatever.

Raist

Banned
So I've finally found the anomaly and now have an atlaspass. First planet I landed on seems to be loaded with warp cubes, gravity balls and gold. Guess I'm mining the shit out of this place then? Stay here as long as I can?

Also, I think the extreme achievement thing applies to anything that's extreme. This planet has extreme drones and I keep getting notifications that I've lasted 1.0 Sol or whatever.

Applies to any planet with stuff highlighted in red in the list (weather etc) when you first land. So yes, that includes sentinels.

Top Bottom