• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Baalzebup

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but every time I encounter a Gek monolith and it says crazy shit about how the Gek will DOMINATE ALL INFERIOR SPECIES, I can't help but think the Vy'keen and Gek models and dialogue were switched around. The Vy'keen are always all interloper this and that, whereas the Gek are super stoked to see me. Can't wrap my head around it each time it happens. Maybe it's because the Gek have a turtle thing going on and look pretty chill.
The Gek First Spawn are noted to have been colossal dicks in the histories of all 3 of the races.

What ship part do you need to fix? I see a lot of copper asteroids in space, even when it's not the dominant metal type but obviously that's no good if you can't get off of the planet.

the Warp Reactor

these Astroids have not been giving copper at all
I died twice looking in space due to Pirates which just cause having to look for 1400 other items to fix my shields

I need to do better against Pirates any tips I suck

Number45

the Warp Reactor

these Astroids have not been giving copper at all
I died twice looking in space due to Pirates which just cause having to look for 1400 other items to fix my shields

I need to do better against Pirates any tips I suck
I'm not the person for those tips. I dismantle everything in the ship and accept defeat if they manage to catch me.

left my ship a long ways away these guys sell copper

Cr_ogVhWcAA5qJy.jpg

I can save here and reload the game and see if I can buy again

edit: 18 Coppers away to escape this dump

I've been stuck on a 1 planet star system because Pirates broke my warp thingy and I can't find enough Copper to fix it - the astroids only have Nickle here

why did they have to fix the duplication trick?

The game ought to feed you what you need to get fixed and leave the system; your best bet would be a trading outpost on planet where you have a number of ships flying in, or the space station, if there is one (I haven't come across a system without one yet though).

Also, if and when you do find a trading terminal or ship merchant selling copper; buy it up, save the game, then close NMS and restart it. All the merchants' stocks will have replenished so you can buy it all up again. Repeat until you have what you need.

I do it because I'm not a fan of the space combat (and because I'm a little short on ship inventory), but it does make repair materials predictable.

Space combat definitely seems binary in that it's either grossly unfair or trivially easy; all dependent on if you've upgraded your ship's shields and photon cannon. It's a shame too, because you never get that gradual skill ramp, that satisfaction of "ok, I've learned the systems and gotten better, so I can see some improvement", it's just "I installed this shield upgrade and cannon upgrade and now just press a button for a'splode things."

Your advice on just breaking stuff down and swapping ships on the regular in order to keep repair materials predictable is pretty clever though. I'll definitely recommend it to a friend that really loathes all things space combat in this game, but enjoys the game as a whole.

Raist

Banned
Soooooo this just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fv_J5SUk50

If you haven't followed the story behind this, you're probably going to wonder why I'm linking a video just showing a warp to some system. Like "cool story bruh, here's a cookie".

Well, a couple of weeks back I started wondering about the string of characters that can be seen when pointing at one of these small beacon things, and if they could mean something. So I did some tests, suspected it was actually a coordinates system and asked here for someone to drop me their current (potential) location.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215368512&postcount=5165

Sooo yep. It does work. You can find your way through the galaxy, you just need the coordinates (and the system's name would also help, although the search function can partly alleviate that).

Took me a while, but that's mainly because TheCochese was pretty much on the "other side" of the galaxy. So that was a ~350,000ly trip, about 1,000 warps. There was some fumbling at the beginning, some detours, some breaks, and it's extremely likely I was far from the optimal route, but it can be done.

Was it worth it? Well, there was no reward, no surprise, no trophy, and even if TheCochese was still in that system (god knows where he is now) I wouldn't have "met" him anyway.
But I guess you don't always need a "tangible" reward for doing something in games. That's why some people like beating Dark Souls blindfolded using their feet with a Guitar Hero controller (I'm barely exaggerating).
Figuring out this "hidden" method, which is likely a "secret" (these numbers weren't put there by accident) was fun and rewarding, and so was the journey at the end of the day.

Anyway, gonna chill in that area for a bit, and then figure out what to do next in No Man's Sky.

Here's a few screens I took along the way.

Landed on a weird planet (Korvax, blue star, 1 planet in system) that was full of Murrine deposits and larger carnivores-- one of them sort of Skeksis-like. Snagged Atlas pass v2 from a Manufacturing Center and think imma move on, but its blue oceans are mighty pretty to look at.

Wildlife at 100% but I didn't upload for the completion bonus-- I already have the Galapagos trophy so now if I 100% a planet I leave it for someone else to collect if they stumble upon the system. 275k units up for grabs if you're in the neighborhood.

NOPER:01BC:0081:0B14:0162

System: Coffee Table
Planet: Ikea Craftsmanship

Sooo yep. It does work. You can find your way through the galaxy, you just need the coordinates (and the system's name would also help, although the search function can partly alleviate that).

tumblr_m3rtyerfhz1qir45xo1_500.gif

Standing. fucking. ovation.

I love hearing about stuff like this and happy your theory proved out in the end. Great shots as well!

If you haven't followed the story behind this, you're probably going to wonder why I'm linking a video just showing a warp to some system. Like "cool story bruh, here's a cookie".

That's amazing. I don't know how you figured that out – someday I will go back and read about it after I've finished the narrative bits – but that's really impressive work. I wish we had the ability to leave messages for other players; would've been great for a moment like this.

somme

That's very cool! Really glad you figured out a pretty huge secret/game mechanic! Now I only wish I understood how it worked! haha

Those parked ships in the air look extremely silly.

I was concerned about that at first, but reasoned that most would simply assume the ships were coming in to land, which is what they spend much of the game doing. You're the only one so far to really see them as a negative, so I'm not in much hurry to change things.

While it's true that I'm moving the ship mesh spawned whenever you exit the cockpit, there are in fact no instances I'm aware of in NMS where the landing gear's even up. Maybe the pirate ships have bespoke models where it's conversely never down, but the properly procedural ships have no articulated parts at all. If you think a ship flying close to the ground with landing gear out is silly, wait till you notice that it's also out during the thirdperson switch into the galactic map.

Correction: There are those science ships with the little legs which unfold, so there is some animation.

legacyzero

Banned

Well, a couple of weeks back I started wondering about the string of characters that can be seen when pointing at one of these small beacon things, and if they could mean something. So I did some tests, suspected it was actually a coordinates system and asked here for someone to drop me their current (potential) location.

Took me a while, but that's mainly because TheCochese was pretty much on the "other side" of the galaxy. So that was a ~350,000ly trip, about 1,000 warps. There was some fumbling at the beginning, some detours, some breaks, and it's extremely likely I was far from the optimal route, but it can be done.

Was it worth it? Well, there was no reward, no surprise, no trophy, and even if TheCochese was still in that system (god knows where he is now) I wouldn't have "met" him anyway.
But I guess you don't always need a "tangible" reward for doing something in games. That's why some people like beating Dark Souls blindfolded using their feet with a Guitar Hero controller (I'm barely exaggerating).
Figuring out this "hidden" method, which is likely a "secret" (these numbers weren't put there by accident) was fun and rewarding, and so was the journey at the end of the day.

Anyway, gonna chill in that area for a bit, and then figure out what to do next in No Man's Sky.

Wait wait wait..

Are you the first to discover this?

And which beacons? The ones you put the chips into? And is that whole code specific to that star system? Or simply just that beacon? And how did yous search it?

Also, do you mind if I use your footage?

Wow, nice! Figure out portals next :p

Spyware

I was concerned about that at first, but reasoned that most would simply assume the ships were coming in to land, which is what they spend much of the game doing. You're the only one so far to really see them as a negative, so I'm not in much hurry to change things.

While it's true that I'm moving the ship mesh spawned whenever you exit the cockpit, there are in fact no instances I'm aware of in NMS where the landing gear's even up. Maybe the pirate ships have bespoke models where it's conversely never down, but the properly procedural ships have no articulated parts at all. If you think a ship flying close to the ground with landing gear out is silly, wait till you notice that it's also out during the thirdperson switch into the galactic map.

Correction: There are those science ships with the little legs which unfold, so there is some animation.
Every type of ship I've seen brings out their landing gear when landing at any type of pad/beacon :S

I get the "it's about to land" idea but it really doesn't look like that to me. Since they are static and since I've been stuck like that in the air/seen people do that by landing on trees, I can't see them as anything else than bugged ships :p

Hmmmm, I'll look into that then. Won't get my hopes up about it being an option for the player's ship, though, what with it never appearing differently during play. Even if I found a way to run the code that triggers the thirdperson switch in space, the landing gear's out even there.

Raist

Banned
Heh, thanks guys.

I gotta say, when after a couple of hours in I stopped just being like "OK, it should be over there" and took a minute to draw that down on a bit of paper and realized it would likely mean I'd have to travel about twice as far as it'd take me to reach the center, I almost gave up.

But then I thought, why stop, it's just one goal like another. Saw some pretty cool stuff on the way, including that neat space battle I posted a couple days ago.

That's amazing. I don't know how you figured that out – someday I will go back and read about it after I've finished the narrative bits – but that's really impressive work. I wish we had the ability to leave messages for other players; would've been great for a moment like this.

It was literally a case of checking a couple of these beacons on the same planet, then on different planets in the same system, then on a handful of different systems. Really nothing crazy at all.

Ho and, I did leave a message alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pziWskPBLr4

Raist

Banned
Wow, nice! Figure out portals next :p

I spent 4h a few of weeks ago travelling back a handful of systems (didn't have any HD upgrades back then) to go back to a portal I had found days before to try one of these silly reddit trolls that were posted here at some point.
All I had to work from was the name of the planet and a vague indication of the portal's location based on 2 screenshots.
That was fun too, but I'm not doing this again :p I seriously doubt portals can be activated for now.

Wait wait wait..

Are you the first to discover this?

And which beacons? The ones you put the chips into? And is that whole code specific to that star system? Or simply just that beacon? And how did yous search it?

Also, do you mind if I use your footage?

I seriously doubt I'm the first. Or at least the only one. Back when I started this crazy trip someone listed some reddit links discussing these codes - I didn't want to "spoil" myself (and mostly I wanted to check if I was right myself too) but I assume it's talked about elsewhere as well anyway.

If you check the video again, after I land on Cochese's planet I check one of these beacons. You'll see the code on there - it's also written in his post I linked, so you can compare both to see they're identical. But yes, these are the Orange laser beam thingies that you can use with a Bypass Chip to scan for buildings etc.

And yeah sure, no worries. Whatever you want to do with it I guess xD.
If you become reach I want 50% tho.

legacyzero

Banned
I spent 4h a few of weeks ago travelling back a handful of systems (didn't have any HD upgrades back then) to go back to a portal I had found days before to try one of these silly reddit trolls that were posted here at some point.
All I had to work from was the name of the planet and a vague indication of the portal's location based on 2 screenshots.
That was fun too, but I'm not doing this again :p I seriously doubt portals can be activated for now.

I seriously doubt I'm the first. Or at least the only one. Back when I started this crazy trip someone listed some reddit links discussing these codes - I didn't want to "spoil" myself (and mostly I wanted to check if I was right myself too) but I assume it's talked about elsewhere as well anyway.

If you check the video again, after I land on Cochese's planet I check one of these beacons. You'll see the code on there - it's also written in his post I linked, so you can compare both to see they're identical. But yes, these are the Orange laser beam thingies that you can use with a Bypass Chip to scan for buildings etc.

And yeah sure, no worries. Whatever you want to do with it I guess xD.
If you become reach I want 50% tho.
Cool.

So that code is specific to the star system then?

Really really impressive. Do you have some kind of write-up as to how this coordinate system works? i.e - How did you know which direction to go in relation to your starting point (or any point along the way) to find that specific system?

And this LOL

Hung Wei Lo

Karma...

So a dozen hours later, i'm still on the same planet looking to 100% it, just because. It's also one of those little mammals poop out vortex cubes in the caves planets, so it gave me something else to do.

I have every species checked off, but am still at 93%. I can't figure out how to "see" the 2nd page of the records (if there is one). Figured I'd take a break from looking for this last asshole creature and find a few monoliths and maybe grab a few vortex cubes as frustration was setting in

Anyhow, today i broke a rule i set for myself not to do any crazy farming, and just play the game as it was meant to be. I went out and searched for a crashed ship to start a vortex cube stack. Once filled, went out and looked for another, and repeated the process. I then decided to break the stacks with some creative inventory management, and began running through caves once i had two 1/100 stacks in my inventory. I wasn't too sure how long I was farming, but my ship was maybe 24:00 "walking" distance away. with 6 stacks i started making my way back, or at the very least find a terminal/beacon thingy to call my ship back. finally came across one when the game froze on me...not once did i save the game. oops.

Raist

Banned
Here's the post where I originally explained the idea.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215338593&postcount=5078

I've just slightly edited to more clearly indicate where the actual spoiler is, and also fix a mistake I made originally, and just realized I never corrected it.

Really really impressive. Do you have some kind of write-up as to how this coordinate system works? i.e - How did you know which direction to go in relation to your starting point (or any point along the way) to find that specific system?

I just used the center as a reference point, went into one "direction" and checked how the number changed on planet compared to the previous one. After I was confident I was going in the right direction, I just occasionally went to one of these beacons to check/adjust. It's all very "sort of kind of" since there's no super easy way to really go in a "straight line" towards your destination.

Cool.

So that code is specific to the star system then?

And this LOL

Yep. All planets in one system will have the same code, bar the first series of numbers which is specific to each beacon (including on the same planet). I don't know if these can be used to pinpoint a location on a planet. I've done some really quick tests and it doesn't seem so. But considering they've hidden that coordinates stuff, maybe that prt of it actually has a pattern too. Maybe it's the next thing I'll try to figure out.

FreDouheret

Neo Member

Beautiful! Very cool!
I'll definitely try this. I'm still very close to my first planet (60h game :p) and I will return to write down these numbers.
And the part that I highlighted: this is exactly what I think about the best times I've ever had playing video game.

You deserve vivids congratulations and a nice pat on the back

Every type of ship I've seen brings out their landing gear when landing at any type of pad/beacon :S

I get the "it's about to land" idea but it really doesn't look like that to me. Since they are static and since I've been stuck like that in the air/seen people do that by landing on trees, I can't see them as anything else than bugged ships :p

For me, the ships add more to the images than they take away. I can easily see them as about to land. And the ones that are far away, you don't see the landing gear so it's fine. Even without the ships, they're still extremely impressive screenshots. Far better than anything I've managed to wrangle from that game, though I didn't put in nearly 165 hours before taking my screenshots either :p

oh that was scary

I was flying my ship low to keep grinding resource and keep my Sols count
I went for a quick bathroom break and when I got back I was nearly off planet

Sold count seems to still be on track not a restart

Can someone point me to a place where I can read about each update to the game up to this point? I believe I read somewhere recently that there have been 7 patches so far..... Thanks!

magawolaz

Raist, you crazy. 1000 jumps? Jesus lol

Well, they are kind of bugged (I think): the ship portraied seems to be the one owned by the player, and since when flying the model is not actually loaded (only the cockpit is rendered, even in free camera mode) I assume he used some kind of mod to add it in.
And since the only time we can see our ship is when we have landed, that explain the landing gear out (and lack of exhaust trails).

magawolaz

And yeah there's something wrong again with the SOL thing... Right after 1.08 I started going for the trophy and I went up to 17.2 SOLs, then I kinda forgot about it: now it doesn't seem to go up anymore.
It probably went back to zero, but fuck man. Seemed to work fine :(

Skeletron

Holy damn. Cool find!

Without spoiling it, is there anything interesting behind the v2 and v3 doors?

Can't speak for v3, but as for v2.... Nnnnnnope lol

I will say that it is nice to not be locked out of anything, but as it stands right now, no need to stress about having the pass. If it pops up, it pops up.

Top Bottom