• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

somme

I've found some.. interesting things behind V2/3 doors. Not much of use by the time I obtained them but I reckon they'll serve a purpose later down the line.

I've found some.. interesting things behind V2/3 doors. Not much of use by the time I obtained them but I reckon they'll serve a purpose later down the line.

For me it's mostly about seeing what's behind them,
particularly the environmental design. It's like "ohhhh, so that's what you're up to behind door #1."

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I really hope Hello Games makes all these geometric shapes and floating rocks a lot more rare. I see a really beautiful planet and it's completely destroyed by these things. It's aesthetic vandalism! It's like coming across a pylon or a golf course when walking though the Lincolnshire Wolds! And don't be afraid of putting grass on planets with cacti ...

Is there any way to know what race will be in a system before going to said system? I've finished the Gek and Korvax dictionary so I'm wanting to jump to a Vy'keen system next. The last few systems have been the wrong race. I suppose I could just keep jumping until I find one but I don't like leaving systems before I've checked out everything.

Also well done on figuring that out Raist. 1000 jumps... crazy!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Is there any way to know what race will be in a system before going to said system? I've finished the Gek and Korvax dictionary so I'm wanting to jump to a Vy'keen system next. The last few systems have been the wrong race. I suppose I could just keep jumping until I find one but I don't like leaving systems before I've checked out everything.

Also well done on figuring that out Raist. 1000 jumps... crazy!

I think it has something to do with the nebula colour.

Z3M0G

Warp
Station
Upgrade
Warp
Station
Upgrade
Warp
Station
Upgrade
Warp
Atlas
Station
Upgrade
Warp
Station
Upgrade
Warp
Station
Upgrade
Land
Resupply
Warp

Ooof... that's my daily routine for the next while... I hope it will be worth it...

Mario007

So i was playing my save yesterday, I'm only a couple of hours in. I wanted to leave the system i was in and go follow the atlas path as i have been doing when suddenly it was missing from my hyperdrive map. Anyone had the same happen to them?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So i was playing my save yesterday, I'm only a couple of hours in. I wanted to leave the system i was in and go follow the atlas path as i have been doing when suddenly it was missing from my hyperdrive map. Anyone had the same happen to them?

It'll turn up again. Just go to another solar system and knock around for a while. Continue doing that and eventually it will appear.

BenN

My atlas path disappeared a while back now, and even after warping maybe 7 or 8 times (and exploring each system) since then it has yet to reappear.

Are there any reasons the atlas path would disappear permanently?
I'm not even sure I started following it before it disappeared... Maybe went to the first stop along the path at most. Never met Nada & polo.

My atlas path disappeared a while back now, and even after warping maybe 7 or 8 times (and exploring each system) since then it has yet to reappear.

Are there any reasons the atlas path would disappear permanently?
I'm not even sure I started following it before it disappeared... Maybe went to the first stop along the path at most. Never met Nada & polo.
You'll meet nada and polo soon enough.

vix

Is space stations not having an NPC a glitch or a new thing? Of the two I've been in so far tonight, neither have had an NPC waiting for you.

Is space stations not having an NPC a glitch or a new thing? Of the two I've been in so far tonight, neither have had an NPC waiting for you.

Don't know if that's new, but sometimes you get an NPC, sometimes you don't. Seems to be random. I don't think it's a glitch.

Spyware

For me, the ships add more to the images than they take away. I can easily see them as about to land. And the ones that are far away, you don't see the landing gear so it's fine. Even without the ships, they're still extremely impressive screenshots. Far better than anything I've managed to wrangle from that game, though I didn't put in nearly 165 hours before taking my screenshots either :p
Yeah seems I'm the only one bothered by floating ships :p I think the ones with properly parked ships look amazing. The compositions are great, as I said.
But if you have a site completely dedicated to "digital photography", anything else would be weird. ;D

OuterLimits

I think we have way more points then Reddit.

Well done Raist! Very rad that you figured this out

To be fair, one user on Reddit is walking across an entire planet which is cool and written some well done entries about the journey. I believe the person is close to finishing the journey.(hopefully) Great job Raist on figuring that stuff out. Hell of a job.

I do think the game is overall more buggy after the 1.8 patch. I'm getting more crashes again, and while mining a nickel tower(not into the ground either) I suddenly fell through the planet and got stuck.

Also, the Atlas path seems to be very bugged now. It keeps disappearing on me and I have to eventually get reconnected by Nada when I run into them when warping. The problem would be for new players though who have the Atlas path disappear before you get to the first Atlas station. Nada and Polo don't appear until after your first Atlas station visit.

I have also noticed the temps for day and night are sometimes backwards on planets. I'm taking heat damage at 30C during day, but no damage at night and the temp shows 65C. Same happens on cold planets at times as well.

Soooooo this just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fv_J5SUk50

If you haven't followed the story behind this, you're probably going to wonder why I'm linking a video just showing a warp to some system. Like "cool story bruh, here's a cookie".

Well, a couple of weeks back I started wondering about the string of characters that can be seen when pointing at one of these small beacon things, and if they could mean something. So I did some tests, suspected it was actually a coordinates system and asked here for someone to drop me their current (potential) location.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215368512&postcount=5165

Sooo yep. It does work. You can find your way through the galaxy, you just need the coordinates (and the system's name would also help, although the search function can partly alleviate that).

Took me a while, but that's mainly because TheCochese was pretty much on the "other side" of the galaxy. So that was a ~350,000ly trip, about 1,000 warps. There was some fumbling at the beginning, some detours, some breaks, and it's extremely likely I was far from the optimal route, but it can be done.

Was it worth it? Well, there was no reward, no surprise, no trophy, and even if TheCochese was still in that system (god knows where he is now) I wouldn't have "met" him anyway.
But I guess you don't always need a "tangible" reward for doing something in games. That's why some people like beating Dark Souls blindfolded using their feet with a Guitar Hero controller (I'm barely exaggerating).
Figuring out this "hidden" method, which is likely a "secret" (these numbers weren't put there by accident) was fun and rewarding, and so was the journey at the end of the day.

Anyway, gonna chill in that area for a bit, and then figure out what to do next in No Man's Sky.

Here's a few screens I took along the way.

That is awesome, well done man.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does anyone know
how many of the galaxies are actually named properly before they become randomly generated names? If it's 8 then oh boy have I got something.

r1chard

Awww yiss. After finding about 30 crashed ships on this moon I finally found the model I was looking for the whole time (I'd seen it up in the space station). Oh, it is so nice :)
MUtRNhn.jpg
My old ship (foreground) was fun to explore in, but the new one has that really nice fighter canopy with the extra wide view angle, and it goes a little faster too (I think - maybe it just feels like it does :) )

Haunted

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but every time I encounter a Gek monolith and it says crazy shit about how the Gek will DOMINATE ALL INFERIOR SPECIES, I can't help but think the Vy'keen and Gek models and dialogue were switched around. The Vy'keen are always all interloper this and that, whereas the Gek are super stoked to see me. Can't wrap my head around it each time it happens. Maybe it's because the Gek have a turtle thing going on and look pretty chill.
I thought the same thing for a while, but if you consider how much time could have passed since the First Spawn...

After being arrogant, conquering dicks for a while, the Gek evolve to become pacifist, peaceful traders, liked by everyone else in the galaxy.
Geks = Germans.

Haunted

Soooooo this just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fv_J5SUk50

If you haven't followed the story behind this, you're probably going to wonder why I'm linking a video just showing a warp to some system. Like "cool story bruh, here's a cookie".

Well, a couple of weeks back I started wondering about the string of characters that can be seen when pointing at one of these small beacon things, and if they could mean something. So I did some tests, suspected it was actually a coordinates system and asked here for someone to drop me their current (potential) location.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215368512&postcount=5165

Sooo yep. It does work. You can find your way through the galaxy, you just need the coordinates (and the system's name would also help, although the search function can partly alleviate that).

Took me a while, but that's mainly because TheCochese was pretty much on the "other side" of the galaxy. So that was a ~350,000ly trip, about 1,000 warps. There was some fumbling at the beginning, some detours, some breaks, and it's extremely likely I was far from the optimal route, but it can be done.

Was it worth it? Well, there was no reward, no surprise, no trophy, and even if TheCochese was still in that system (god knows where he is now) I wouldn't have "met" him anyway.
But I guess you don't always need a "tangible" reward for doing something in games. That's why some people like beating Dark Souls blindfolded using their feet with a Guitar Hero controller (I'm barely exaggerating).
Figuring out this "hidden" method, which is likely a "secret" (these numbers weren't put there by accident) was fun and rewarding, and so was the journey at the end of the day.

Anyway, gonna chill in that area for a bit, and then figure out what to do next in No Man's Sky.

Here's a few screens I took along the way.
Damn son, that's awesome.

Being the first in the world to figure out the game's hidden coordinate system without any prompts or explanations, making it into your own personal pilgrimage through the universe (and snapping some beautiful pictures along the way), that's just amazing. The game keeps delivering fantastic stories like this.

Love it.

Raist

Banned
^ don't know if I'm the "first in the world", but regardless it was pretty neat to give it a shot. Utterly pointless yet useful, in some ways.

I thought the same thing for a while, but if you consider how much time could have passed since the First Spawn...

After being arrogant, conquering dicks for a while, the Gek evolve to become pacifist, peaceful traders, liked by everyone else in the galaxy.
Geks = Germans.

Nada & Polo = Kohl & Mitterand?

gefallenenehrung20verxdqx5.jpg

Shaneus

Just had a pretty silly bug happen... had the same guy in the same ship pull up next to himself on two different landing pads!

Fess

omg I love this game so much!

Just found a red sun solar system with extreme variations of the nicest kind, green lush planet, red lush planet, snowy lush planets. I wish I was better at taking pics, they all had extreme weather but they look sooo nice in between the storms.

Green lush planet. Looks fantastic, like a sunny tropical island, lots of water too. Sadly zero animals though.
hnxBDH6.jpg

Red grass planet. This planet is possibly the best looking planet I've seen yet. It's like it's autumn all the time, everything is red or orange and there is long swaying grass all over the surface and tiny white flowers like in the pic. Looks great even when it's a storm since everthing moves.
LX253yg.jpg

57 hours so far, and my GOTY

I saw the same tree twice. Preorder cancelled.

:)

I have actually seen mostly barren planets, but I've barely explored (just trying to get my ship to 48 slots then I'm going to relax and enjoy) - but some of those are beautiful.

Green, Blue and Red stars have a higher chance of getting nice/freaky planets, so you'll definitely get to see some good stuff.
And for me personally, the lifeless, barren planets give me more of an old school sci-fi feeling, so I like them as much as the lush planets.
I think the balance between these is just right. If every other planet was full of flora and fauna it wouldn't be special anymore and give that nice feeling of discovery when you land on one.

:)Green, Blue and Red stars have a higher chance of getting nice/freaky planets, so you'll definitely get to see some good stuff.
And for me personally, the lifeless, barren planets give me more of an old school sci-fi feeling, so I like them as much as the lush planets.
I think the balance between these is just right. If every other planet was full of flora and fauna it wouldn't be special anymore and give that nice feeling of discovery when you land on one.

I think the game could use more moon-like moons. Totally lifeless, flat. Not ideal for exploration but I think it would add a lot to the overall character of the universe. As it stands, I think the game's life/desolate balance is off.

somme

I think the game could use more moon-like moons. Totally lifeless, flat. Not ideal for exploration but I think it would add a lot to the overall character of the universe. As it stands, I think the game's life/desolate balance is off.

I've only seen one planet so far that had quite sizeable flat plains. It was a snow-storm hell hole, but beautiful at the same time.

Would definitely like to see flatter moons - if it's even possible to alter that part of the game/

Itzcoatl

Neo Member
Also, the Atlas path seems to be very bugged now. It keeps disappearing on me and I have to eventually get reconnected by Nada when I run into them when warping. The problem would be for new players though who have the Atlas path disappear before you get to the first Atlas station. Nada and Polo don't appear until after your first Atlas station visit.

Can any one confirm the bolded part? That's the exact situation I'm in. I really took my time in my first couple of systems. Finally made it to the monolith you are directed to that puts the Atlas path on your star map, went to space to confirm the path was there, and then spent a couple more days exploring that system. By the time I was ready to leave the system, 1.8 was out and no Atlas Path on my star map. I've been warping on the yellow line toward the center since then, hoping to meet Nada and Polo. Should I leave the yellow line? Am I boned?

Raist

Banned
Meh, I can't figure out the pattern in the first series of characters on the beacon code. If there's any at all. Would be weird for it to be random stuff considering the rest of the code "means" something. But I really can't make any sense of it.

Time to look into something else :p

I fell asleep doing the Sentinel Trophy run woke up outside the shelter I was hiding in with 34 Sols I was at 20 Sols

I guess I got lucky because I died at 34 and not 31 lol

Future

So I finally started playing out there on IOS. And holy shit the games are the same. Almost exactly. Even down to the inventory look, finding crashed ships, repairing parts, language word learning, cubes, center of the galaxy like goal...

Like goddamn

mokeyjoe

I've only seen one planet so far that had quite sizeable flat plains. It was a snow-storm hell hole, but beautiful at the same time.

Would definitely like to see flatter moons - if it's even possible to alter that part of the game/

I did find a moon that was brown and desolate, and mostly flat too, mainly an undulating landscape with a few small peaks. Also, one barren moon that had a white/grey surface and craters. Very Earth-moon-like.

mokeyjoe

So I finally started playing out there on IOS. And holy shit the games are the same. Almost exactly. Even down to the inventory look, finding crashed ships, repairing parts, language word learning, cubes, center of the galaxy like goal...

Like goddamn

Just had a look at it on Android. Looks interesting. Is it worth checking out?

magawolaz

https://youtu.be/3S0yZdc2Tts

Once they start adding new features into the game, I hope this is one area that gets attention. With some more refinement, obviously. I think it looks incredible on foot.
That forest seems a bit extreme, but yeah Big things mod is such a cool concept. There are some nice screenshot in the other thread

Like goddamn
Is it good? I remember it from the Matt Lees video about NMS and I have since put it in my Steam wishlist, I'm just waiting for a sale.

dying a few time while I slept cost me thise Atlas Stones :( all gone
PS4? Download your last save from the cloud! (you already got the SOL trophy anyway)

Well it's either going to be Omega or Photonix. But I don't think there is a warp drive past Theta. At this point anyway.

I've a couple of Omega level upgrades but i'm not sure if there's a 4th level for every component or if it's only the multi-tool.

I'll fire it up in a sec and check.

thank you both

That forest seems a bit extreme, but yeah Big things mod is such a cool concept. There are some nice screenshot in the other thread

Is it good? I remember it from the Matt Lees video about NMS and I have since put it in my Steam wishlist, I'm just waiting for a sale.

PS4? Download your last save from the cloud! (you already got the SOL trophy anyway)
ah too late I have 50 million credits anyway I'll buy them end game

Future

Just had a look at it on Android. Looks interesting. Is it worth checking out?

If you like no mans sky you'll probably like this. It's more survival focused and it's really hard to stay alive. Jumping to planets is always risky as you choose what to spend resources on. It had to be the basis of the design of no mans sky. I mean look at this screen

05.jpg

If you took the actual ship control and shooting out of no mans sky and just focused on jumping to to planets and systems with the same kinda goals, that's Out There. They focus more on random events when you do any of these things as opposed to staying on one planet for a long time. I wish nms had more interesting randomization of planets and "special" encounters when you arrive to systems

Top Bottom