• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

just when I settled on the boxy 48 slot ship I paid too much for I find this
CsFuHzKWEAEXcRP.jpg

not really the type I like but it is less boxy

Is it good? I remember it from the Matt Lees video about NMS and I have since put it in my Steam wishlist, I'm just waiting for a sale.

Just had a look at it on Android. Looks interesting. Is it worth checking out?

Out There is great. I definitely see strong parallels to NMS. If you could take the 'gather resources to fix & fuel your ship', learn alien words (on a smaller scale) to help with future encounters, and a perpetual push forward into unknown space, BUT with the caveat being that all of those aspects are essentially condensed into those Choose Your Adventure choices that NMS presents at Monoliths, Factories/Observatories, etc... then you'll have Out There. So in a lot of ways it's super streamlined NMS (with much more of a narrative), or perhaps NMS is a far more blown up version of Out There. It's a great game. Both are. It's also $5 on iOS so it's super inexpensive and plays great on my iPhone/iPad.

lol my ship is so tiny, that's insane. Have you dismantled everything and build them again to get the techs to stack up that nicely or have you had crazy luck when switching ship?

I dismantle to set things up nice

CsF5nHEWIAAUFzb.jpg

I am having trouble with coolants and rapid fire upgrades I wish I could dismantle the shield so can stack the coolant near the weapons

I might try the planet again to see if I can find a better crashed ship

pathos11

Here's an update to my previous post with my map:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215520360&postcount=5624

My new map:

Also, I had the week off so I was able to work on this, the first version of the program I wanted to make:

The program pulls the star system data from memory based on what's selected on the galactic map. I wanted to make it so you could select a previously saved system and hit "Set Waypoint" and it would put it on your galactic map, but I couldn't get it to work. I found where the waypoints were kept in memory, but changing them did nothing. I may dive into that again, but it was a pain and I don't know when I'd have the time.

Came across my first wild Calium just now. The stuff of nightmares...

M08Qnl7CYHwaI.gif

The different versions of these exotic elements are cool. Really like the Gravitino ball 'live' version. Has anyone found a different version of Murrine other than the stacked gold globules?

You and Raist are doing the lord's work. Thank you for the kind of time you're putting into this. A lot of us are very appreciative.

What kind of roadblocks are popping up when you try to have your program set a waypoint?

pathos11

What kind of roadblocks are popping up when you try to have your program set a waypoint?

I found three places in memory where the waypoint data was stored/accessed. But when I changed them in memory, the game never did, no matter if I backed out of the map or not. Possibly I could have saved and exited, but I wanted it would be a quick change thing.

I thought the same thing for a while, but if you consider how much time could have passed since the First Spawn...

After being arrogant, conquering dicks for a while, the Gek evolve to become pacifist, peaceful traders, liked by everyone else in the galaxy.
Geks = Germans.

The Gek thing seems like a rather hamfisted critique of Western European colonization in general.
They're bloodthirsty conquerors who want to destroy everything, so every race they come in contact with has to militarize or be destroyed. Then they change to a lifestyle of peaceful trading and act like the increased militarization of every other race is because they're inferior and not because the Gek were going around killing everything that wouldn't fight back. It's a heavy-handed allegory for all of Western Europe and their colonization of Africa and the Americas. It's effective though, because your immediate assumption is that the Vy'Keen are the aggressive ones, and it's only through learning more of the language and the story that you realize they're just fighting back against genocide.

Number45

Anyone have any tips on identifying crashed ships from the air? Obviously keep an eye out for the smoke and blue flash from the damaged machinery, but anything else? Any other visual or audio cues that I could be missing?

I've been flying around looking for transmission towers and keeping my eye out for crashed ships but I don't know if I've been unlucky and just not flown over any or I'm missing them all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone have any tips on identifying crashed ships from the air? Obviously keep an eye out for the smoke and blue flash from the damaged machinery, but anything else? Any other visual or audio cues that I could be missing?

I've been flying around looking for transmission towers and keeping my eye out for crashed ships but I don't know if I've been unlucky and just not flown over any or I'm missing them all.

You do get occasional crashed ships scattered over the planet but nearly all the crashed ships don't exist until you've used a tower to search for them.

Number45

I was just about to post and say I've never found one without a transmission tower... but I just did. I'm sure people here have said they're finding them frequently though just by searching.

r1chard

You can stack them however you want, they just have to be touching to gain the bonus (the colored highlighted border).
Also there's a slight boost if they touch on multiple sides. So for example the hyperdrive upgrades will let you jump almost an extra 100ly if you stack them well (I have theta under the drive itself, with the other two upgrades on its sides, which lets me do about 1660ly in one jump - if they are just in a line, the max jump is more like 1615ly, and if they're not touching the jump is closer to 1500ly).

HeeHo

Man, can't wait for an actual content-adding update on this game. I haven't touched it since the Platinum.

Although, I could play it just to 'chill out' but I tried that after grinding through all the trophies and immediately felt like 'f this' and stopped. I went through some pretty annoying stuff to get the Atlas stones.

Shaneus

Rad, thanks on the stacking info.

The planet I'm on right now, loaded with vortex cubes, gravi balls, gold and trading outposts... is that worth sharing with people? Where/how do I pass on that information?

I explored 18 star systems so far.
65 planets and 6 moons (all but the first 17 are categorized according to my nomenclature)

Posted in the photo thread some more impressions but just some random stuff I wanted to post here.

I found the First Spawn. Aggressive little bastards :p

Pretending that playable freighters is already there:

Btw I got my first 3 Stars bounty objective. The ship had a bounty of 80,000 but I received 300,000. Might be because it was together with 3 more ships (that were not marked though)?

oh and I was wondering if the size of the suns reflects anything. I noticed the difference for this pseudo-binary star:

Really great work figuring out the coordinates of the universe!
Here are mine: COOP:0813:0082:0103:0084

Number45

So I managed to find another few crashed ships by scouring the surface, but they're not very common - probably doesn't help that the planet I chose to do this on is quite lush. I think I'll just spam the next tower I find and hope for a good amount of transmission towers.

heringer

Guys, I'm not following the NMS scene for a while, but how is the update schedule? Did Sean said anything after the dust settled down?

Number45

Guys, I'm not following the NMS scene for a while, but how is the update schedule? Did Sean said anything after the dust settled down?
What sort of updates? They've been working on fixing the issues, but as of right now we don't have any information on content updates. I would imagine they'll break silence on their plans for those when they've ironed out all of their support issues.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Damn, I only have about 500mb of screenshots, but you're not alone man; I'm only 4 stones into the Atlas path and still have my pre-order ship. Taking it slow so that I actually want to still play when new content and features drop.

it's a game that's so damn easy to screencap. The moon I was on yesterday was gorgeous. Blue grass and red trees, and green/teal water. lol. It was quite lovely. I'm hunting down the final three species on it at the moment, then I'm making my jump to the next Atlas station.

Another thing that I'm enjoying now that I'm "late game," is how much I don't have to fret about much. I'm still hunting for a higher capacity ship, but my exosuit is fully maxed out at 48 slots, and I've installed all of the vital tech (shield upgrades, sprint upgrades, jetpack upgrades), and my multitool is max slots and upgrades, so I don't have to worry so much about resource gathering. Like, I see gold, emeril, heridium, etc, etc, I just stroll on by. I only carry carbon, plutonium, iron, thadium (mainly for my ship), and titanium on me. just 250 each, so they only take up a single suit slot. That leaves the rest of my inventory open for some of the purple resources, and items I'm selling. Not having to forge for resources to craft upgrades for my suit and tool have made things a lot smoother and more enjoyable for me. Now I can just take in the scenery, document my creatures, then move on to the next planet.

I only discover 100% of a planet/moon if the environment is interesting enough to want to spend a few hours on it finding everything. If it's boring or uninteresting, I just move on to the next one.

Combat encounters are also much better now that I have all of my shield and combat upgrades I wanted installed. I'm still hunting for a better ship, but my current one gets the job done. I've still only discovered 3 Atlas stations, and I'm about a jump away from my fourth, but I'm enjoying just wandering planets and taking nice screenshots.

Finding animals in this game is driving me insane.

It can be mind numbingly frustrating if it's the last one till 100%. I've gotten pretty good at finding things now however; the ones that trip me up are always the creatures that only come out at night. Never seen nocturnal aquatic life-- though it wouldn't surprise me if they were out there-- but I often come across at least one asshole stalker/predator that comes out at night only, typically around the same places that have large groups of animals during the day. I've only come across nocturnal flying creatures once, but they were massive and so it was cool to see that. Ultimately, I stopped obsessing over it and really only go for 100% if I get over 80% quickly without really trying, or if there are only like 6 or 8 creatures to find total.

I actually hope that they incorporate this into the design in the future - it's a lot of fun and it makes long periods of on-foot traversal (which I often find myself in the middle of) FAR more bearable.

It'd be great if some of the new updates incorporated new blueprint schematics for you exosuit; things like vastly increased walking speed or jetpack thrust speed as opposed to simply duration. New blueprints of any fucking kind would be welcome at this point.

Number45

It'd be great if some of the new updates incorporated new blueprint schematics for you exosuit; things like vastly increased walking speed or jetpack thrust speed as opposed to simply duration. New blueprints of any fucking kind would be welcome at this point.
Yeah, although being able to move previously installed ones would be useful at that point! Thinking of drawing up my ideal setup for each so that I can get as many bonuses as possible.

Paskil

Got my platinum trophy on Friday. Then I wrapped up flying to the center. I actually had to fly to the center since I lost my atlas path after I got to the end, but didn't have 10 stones. I never came across an option to pickup the path again after that, because by the time I was around 70k from the center, I had enough units to buy 10 atlas stones.

Not a bad game, but I am completely done with it and I got my money's worth at full price (PS4 physical copy). Unless significant changes are made, I have no further reason to play. I can screen grab by achievement screen later, but I think it took something like 300+ warp jumps to get to the center with less than 10 black hole uses.

I'm sure this has been asked already, but how do you upgrade the scan ability in your ship? It has the ring like the other 3 attributes for weapons, health, and hyperdrive, but I've never seen a ship that has an upgraded version.

Yeah, although being able to move previously installed ones would be useful at that point! Thinking of drawing up my ideal setup for each so that I can get as many bonuses as possible.

Agree 100% We definitely need an ability to move around upgrades, even if it's at a cost like 100 plutonium or something.

I'm sure this has been asked already, but how do you upgrade the scan ability in your ship? It has the ring like the other 3 attributes for weapons, health, and hyperdrive, but I've never seen a ship that has an upgraded version.

I've never seen a ship-based scan upgrade either. To that effect I've also never come across a recipe that fits into the "curiosity" category.

Not a bad game, but I am completely done with it and I got my money's worth at full price (PS4 physical copy). Unless significant changes are made, I have no further reason to play.

What kind of additional content, abilities, changes, etc.. do you think would pull you back in-- eventually I mean. I can see how you'd be burnt out on it at this point after getting the plat and moving to the center. Congrats, btw!

somme

I really don't think we should be able to move around upgrades/modules. If you put it in the wrong place there should be some sort of punishment. Though I do think we should be able to dismantle everything, so we can put all the modules where we want.

Number45

I really don't think we should be able to move around upgrades/modules. If you put it in the wrong place there should be some sort of punishment. Though I do think we should be able to dismantle everything, so we can put all the modules where we want.
The game doesn't communicate this to you in any meaningful way from what I can gather (particularly for the one that has a light blue surround), so punishing people for not realising is a little rough. The early materials it really doesn't matter but just finding the materials for some of the later blueprints can be tricky.

If you were able to easily find your way back to a planet that has the resources you need, it wouldn't be a problem. Sucks that I can't favourite a planet (or something like that) and easily plot a warp course to it.

DjRalford

All I need for the platinum is the warping trophies, which I'll get heading to the centre anyway, so I can just mooch now.

I've only got a 38 slot ship but with all 3 stacked upgraded drives getting me 1,600ly a jump and shields / photon max upgrades too I really don't want to part with it.

I can see the argument in a survival game like NMS re: consequences for not paying attention while slotting in upgrades, etc.. and normally I'd probably agree, but I also don't think NMS in particular needs any more mechanics that intentionally antagonize the player. Committing to a slot should have some consequences, I agree, which is why I think some sort of transactional cost of "x amount of some element" be applied if you wish to move pieces around, but I think the wholesale "you're fucked" situation we have currently, especially since some of those things we can't even dismantle (i.e. engines, thrusters, etc..) comes off as unnecessarily aggressive in a game that really has its work cut out for it in terms of generating goodwill going forward.

I must be a million milles away from platinum on this, despite putting in a LOT of time.

The only one I've got left is the last two warping related ones. Which ones are you missing? The ship-fighting milestones racked up the moment I put a decent shield on my ship and upgraded the cannon slightly; words & aliens met will come naturally as well with no real effort; survival trophies out to be much easier post 1.08 patch if time is cumulative; 100% planets tends to be very grindy, but if you commit to tracking all animals down if the list needs 8 or less, it ought to be doable.

Number45

I actually have no idea. My normal approach to trophies is to play the game once as I normally would, and when I've completed it I'll check the trophy list and see if it's worth going for. With this I've been exploring a lot of the time (and getting my storage upgraded) so I've achieved very little. I'm nowhere near what anyone might call the end of the game though so I haven't looked.

*checks*

Yep, 54%. Six bronze, four silver and four gold earned.

EDIT: Looking down the list it's just getting to the highest rank in each milestone. I'll get them all eventually, although avoiding most combat won't have helped!

EDIT: Looking down the list it's just getting to the highest rank in each milestone. I'll get them all eventually, although avoiding most combat won't have helped!

Yeah you ought to get them through natural progression eventually. As far as ship combat goes, ones you get yourself a ship you'll likely stick with for a good long while, invest in upgrading the photon cannons with a +2 or +3 damage and increased fire rate, and a shield upgrade. Then practice by sniping ships flying around on the planet (or strafing them while they're parked!). Downing them counts toward the milestone and will help you feel more comfortable if pirates ever try to jack you.

Top Bottom