• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Number45

I'm not sure I've ever made a journey through space WITHOUT the pirates doing their thing! My intention is to leave the planet I'm on (the last in the system) with a 48 slot ship at which point I'll go to town on the upgrades.

Paskil

What kind of additional content, abilities, changes, etc.. do you think would pull you back in-- eventually I mean. I can see how you'd be burnt out on it at this point after getting the plat and moving to the center. Congrats, btw!

Thanks, it is actually one of my more satisfying platinum trophies (and my 20th, to boot). One of the biggest disappointments is that I felt disconnected from the experience. I feel like some level of personalization for your character would be great. With that said, I don't actually recall ever seeing my character. I don't mind it being first person, but it would be cool to define the character a bit more. I wish I could have renamed my ship and messed around with the color scheme.

I think adding the ability to create customized spaceships would be a big enough draw for me to at least come back in and mess around with that. It could even be added in a way that would utilize the in game resources.

I really enjoyed some of the story stuff and how they tried to flesh out a narrative for the races. I didn't get very far with the Vy'ks or Korvax, but I really like that the Gek
were basically this reformed race that had once been a blight on the rest of the galaxy/universe. It kind of made me think about the people of Krikkit in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I imagine the Gek were super nice 'people' that thought they were alone in the universe and upon discovering that they were not, went on a murderous spree, subjugating the rest of the races and universe

The game needs more diversity, as well. More abilities and things to improve.

Hung Wei Lo

I really don't think we should be able to move around upgrades/modules. If you put it in the wrong place there should be some sort of punishment. Though I do think we should be able to dismantle everything, so we can put all the modules where we want.

I just want to be able to move the Shields to the far right. Whenever I have to go into the inventory and replenish them, it's a bit of a chore (especially in the heat of the battle) to have to move the cursor a few slots over (PS4 BTW)

BenN

Can any one confirm the bolded part? That's the exact situation I'm in. I really took my time in my first couple of systems. Finally made it to the monolith you are directed to that puts the Atlas path on your star map, went to space to confirm the path was there, and then spent a couple more days exploring that system. By the time I was ready to leave the system, 1.8 was out and no Atlas Path on my star map. I've been warping on the yellow line toward the center since then, hoping to meet Nada and Polo. Should I leave the yellow line? Am I boned?

Finally I can (un) confirm this.

I never visited the first atlas station before my atlas path disappeared, but now after many warps (maybe 15?) to new star systems, Nada & Polo showed up finally and I was able to reconnect to the atlas path.

Tried various paths...only following the yellow center path, or only free roaming but neither seemed to trigger it. Last night was was just warping as far along the center path as I could each time and also randomly free warping, then they showed up.

Anung

Un Rama
I think I've put as much time as I'm willing to. I could maybe grind out the 30 other warps I need but the animal scanning trophy would make me hate this game so I think I'll just leave it.

I think I've put as much time as I'm willing to. I could maybe grind out the 30 other warps I need but the animal scanning trophy would make me hate this game so I think I'll just leave it.

Sounds like another vote for a scanner upgrade that pings out red/undiscovered species from a far distance, like what you get currently telling you that there's "life in this direction", but it's unspecific as to whether it's a known species or new.

somme

Sounds like another vote for a scanner upgrade that pings out red/undiscovered species from a far distance, like what you get currently telling you that there's "life in this direction", but it's unspecific as to whether it's a known species or new.

Yeah it can get annoying sometimes. But I do think it should be made easier through a scanner upgrade.

DjRalford

Finally got the platinum, I've easily got my money's worth in game hours, but until more is added time for a break for me methinks.

Surprised we haven't heard from Hello in a while...about 10 days I think. Radio silence is expected while they're working, but if they're cooking up new features I'd like to know what's coming at least.

Surprised we haven't heard from Hello in a while...about 10 days I think. Radio silence is expected while they're working, but if they're cooking up new features I'd like to know what's coming at least.

I want to hear about it when it's done. Communicating about what they're doing and making hasn't worked out well for them in the past ;-)

Raist

Banned

There's been some activity on the internal branch on Steam in the past couple of days. So I'm expecting an update to hit soon.

Is there any way to know and find exactly where all of your previously discovered systems are in the galactic map? Just before warping to my 11th system, I decided it would probably be a good idea to take a screenshot of the system information that is displayed in the galactic map for my own personal interest and I'd like to do it for my previously discovered systems. I've taken that many screenshots in the game that I'm kind of annoyed I didn't think of it at the start. I doubt that it is possible but you never know. Thanks.

Raist

Banned
Is there any way to know and find exactly where all of your previously discovered systems are in the galactic map? Just before warping to my 11th system, I decided it would probably be a good idea to take a screenshot of the system information that is displayed in the galactic map for my own personal interest and I'd like to do it for my previously discovered systems. I've taken that many screenshots in the game that I'm kind of annoyed I didn't think of it at the start. I doubt that it is possible but you never know. Thanks.

Yes, but the only guaranteed way to do this is if you planned ahead and wrote down the system's coordinates.

Alternatively, use the "scan for discoveries" function on the galactic map, which may allow you to backtrack. It will likely be a bit difficult, and basically impossible if you've used a black hole at any point though.

Edited in :) Glad you guys like it. It's officially my most liked video lol

I think I've figured it out. Sentinel drones are cats. Think about it.

They get really excited and go and fly around when you point your laser at something. They randomly bump into stuff to hilarious effects. And finally, they can randomly become jerks and attack you for no fucking reason whatsoever.

hbkdx12

Question: Is there a possibility to get a multi tool that has substantially more slots than the one you own? I know this is possible with ships but i haven't experienced this as far as multitools go.

Since the beginning of the game i've upgraded my multitool about 3 times and everytime i find a multitool in a building or in conversation it's always exactly 2 slots bigger than what i have. I find this incredibly frustrating because i don't want to give up tech that i have on my current multitool just to have to find the resources all over again to rebuild it on the new multitool for the sake of a few slots. Given that the main and pretty much only gameplay loop for the game is resource gathering, i can understand why you can't just simply transfer your tech from one mutiltool to the next. However, if i do upgrade it, it seems kind of useless to put advanced tech on the multi tool until you find one with maxed slots but then not doing so makes the mining and combat that much more of a chore so it just seems like a really shitty catch 22 going on here.

Also i saw a video saying that you can pin tech recipes so that it stays on you hud and you know what resources you need to gather. Supposedly this is triangle on the PS4 but i've never seen a prompt for it or been able to do it. Is this possible?

somme

At the moment pinning a recipe of reminds you that you need to build something. Not what ingredients you need. Not very useful atm!

hbkdx12

At the moment pinning a recipe of reminds you that you need to build something. Not what ingredients you need. Not very useful atm!

Ah ok, good to know but even then i still can't pin anything. Im assuming this may be because im still in the "tutorial" where its trying to get me to build a warp cell for the hyper drive (which i've already done because i bought antimatter instead of crafting it but the game doesn't seem to recognize this)

The game keeps telling me to build a boltcaster even though i don't want one on my multitool which is a bit frustrating as well.

won't be long before the usual suspects arrive to thread shit, and remind everybody about class action lawsuits, all those lies, and reddit posts... then the gif's will start turning up...

There's no "No Man's Sky" in the thread title, so it should be ok. That's what usually triggers the hate mongers.

Edited in :) Glad you guys like it. It's officially my most liked video lol

Eh, you added in something that should have been in there anyway. That video is still the most hilarious thing I've seen from NMS so far (with a close second being that "Bull fighter" video posted a couple of days ago).

won't be long before the usual suspects arrive to thread shit, and remind everybody about class action lawsuits, all those lies, and reddit posts... then the gif's will start turning up...

I still wonder how many people enjoying the game were those who did not follow the hype during development (like me).

Dredd97

Eh, you added in something that should have been in there anyway. That video is still the most hilarious thing I've seen from NMS so far (with a close second being that "Bull fighter" video posted a couple of days ago).

I still wonder how many people enjoying the game were those who did not follow the hype during development (like me).

Oh I followed the hype, I just managed to keep it in check, sure it has lots of features removed (most of which I'm convinced will be back in at some point) but even with it's supposedly thread bare gaming setup, it's still a compelling title to play..

must be the explorer in me...

I followed it from the beginning and being a massive (old school) sci-fi fan, it had my curiosity from there on out.
The one who kept my hype in check was Greg Miller. From the moment he'd been hands on with the game, he was warning people not to overhype the game. And so I didn't. And it turned out to be even better then I was hoping it to be.

Hoodbury

For those still going for the 100% find all animals on a planet milestone my advice would be if you are stuck looking forever for the last 1 or 2 just leave and go to a new planet and start over.

Getting my first 6 planets 100% was a pain and I hated it most of the time, finding that last 1 or 2 would always take forever and was such a drag.

For getting the milestones 7-10 I decided if I don't get them right away I'm leaving the planet and trying a new one and those 4 I got within 15-20 minutes on the planets I did it on. One of them I 100% the planet within 5 minutes of touching down on the planet, every animal was right by my ship.

There's a lot of planets out there, don't get stuck on one and make it an un-enjoyable experience.

Lol i never saw the tentacle form of the gravitino ball. I was like wtf why is that thing reaching out of the plant ball thing.

@animals: you may want planets with few species (???) and high frequency (abundant etc) so that you don't have to walk around so much.

OuterLimits

Just had my worst crash yet. Most times it immediately goes to an error screen after freezing. This time it locked up completely and I had to unplug the system after a few minutes.

I really feel like 1.8 made it worse. I'm hoping they aren't done with patches yet.

@animals: you may want planets with few species (???) and high frequency (abundant etc) so that you don't have to walk around so much.

The majority of my 100% scanned planets were from those 10 species or less planets. And of those, most didn't have any water on them, which drastically cut down the searching time looking for just the right lake/pond/puddle to find all of the species.

I've put this game down after putting in well over 100 hours and maxing out all milestones. Hoping to come back to it at some point once the content patches start dropping. Assuming those are still coming :/

somme

Some of those V3 rooms look as though they could be used for the creation of ships/weapons/blueprints/bases, etc etc. One I was just in looked like a lab.

Some of the pre-release regulars like me are still here, some disappeared as soon as the game launched. I'm enjoying it for the exploration, and that's about it. I'm putting faith in Hello to improve the other tentpoles of the game. If they never do, and if they never add the few features I feel we were misled about (such as the orbital mechanics), my opinion of the game might end up souring. So for me the jury is still out, but I'm enjoying the exploration right now at least.

Top Bottom