• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Poyunch

So a few days ago I found this awesome ship that I'd fallen in love with. It was so weird looking and most importantly it was a BIG one.

After finding it after a few hours, I decided that was enough and put the game down for a few days.
iKnAhbK.jpg
Tv8jabl.jpg
uV8fjUg.jpg

I come back to No Man's Sky and I immediately see in the distance some "Korvax" ships with large wingspans and immediately I'm like, "Well crap."

I always preferred the "bug" ships to the other designs and I prefer the weird looking ships so I immediately get bummed out that I want a new ship after I spent so long searching for that giant green tanker. I decide to drop my green ship and go on my search for the long winged Korvax ship. The first crashed ship I find is an ugly mess and a part of me is disgusted that I'm leaving my green ship for this.

The only solace I get is that it has a large inventory and I know that there's a better looking ship out there.

After a couple of waypoints that send me to some Towers that don't actually exist and a few run-ins with ugly looking ships that are smaller I begin to regret my decision.

But then I find this beautiful white starfighter. It wasn't what I wanted but I'm ecstatic to pick it up and ditch the monster I was riding currently.

So I decide then and there I'll call it again. I didn't get what I wanted but I got something just as nice. I decide to clean up some markers and find somewhere to sell some excess material. I find a landing post and I see a bunch of more cool ships that I want as well as the original long-winged Korvax ship that made me leave my tanker.

I guess I'm not leaving this planet for a while.

Since this is probably the place I'll get an actual answer, I just wanted to ask, would this game be good for someone with anxiety problems? I have awful anxiety and this game looks like it would be good for a calming game, but I just wanted to ask some of you guys playing it before I take the plunge lol

After so long I find this beautiful white starfighter. It wasn't what I wanted but I'm ecstatic to pick it up and ditch the monster I was riding currently.

eTn8uOx.jpg

Hot damn this is tops. My current all-white ship has more of a BSG Viper look to it but the variations on this one here; the wider nose, the TIE Bomber-like wingtips, etc... are fantastic. I'm at once incredibly jealous but also hopeful that given enough time, I'll also come across something similar.

Since this is probably the place I'll get an actual answer, I just wanted to ask, would this game be good for someone with anxiety problems? I have awful anxiety and this game looks like it would be good for a calming game, but I just wanted to ask some of you guys playing it before I take the plunge lol

In general I'd say yes. Without knowing specifically what causes you anxiety I can't be 100% positive. There aren't many particularly stressful aspects of the game. The space combat can be annoying if you're not equipped to handle it. Going after some of the achievments/trophies can be a hassle. Otherwise any challenges/obstacles the game places in your way are easily gotten around/dealt with.

abbyabs

Hard to answer as some people might not find it relaxing, I find it pretty relaxing and easy to play. You can just fly around and explore If your don't like the planet fly to a new one, but i would not recommend this game to anyone.

The first 10-20 hours is fun then its gets boring and repetitive theirs not much content.

In general I'd say yes. Without knowing specifically what causes you anxiety I can't be 100% positive. There aren't many particularly stressful aspects of the game. The space combat can be annoying if you're not equipped to handle it. Going after some of the achievments/trophies can be a hassle. Otherwise any challenges/obstacles the game places in your way are easily gotten around/dealt with.

Hard to answer as some people might not find it relaxing, I find it pretty relaxing and easy to play. You can just fly around and explore If your don't like the planet fly to a new one, but i would not recommend this game to anyone.

The first 10-20 hours is fun then its gets boring and repetitive theirs not much content.

Cool, thanks guys! i'll probably end up getting it, wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, see what i think of it!

mokeyjoe

Probably perfect for that. It's definitely a relaxing game, with next to no threat. It's basically my go-to veg out game.

Personally I find it even less stressful than something like Flower, which is basically designed to be relaxing. I think because you can do whatever you want at any time - including doing pretty much nothing if you so choose. The only potential stressor are things like pirate attacks. But once you've upgraded your shields and cannons they are trivially easy.

The game has a hefty amount of 'walking simulator' at its core (not a pejorative term to my mind) and can be played very casually. If you want trouble you basically have to look for it.

Handy Fake

I hear you bud.

Oddly enough, I find farming in Path of Exile to be ridiculously relaxing.

Not sure if you have PS4 & PS Plus but I highly recommend playing "Journey" its a very relaxing game not very long but its free.

I actually own that, i kinda forgot i did haha i played through it on ps3, maybe it's time to check it out on ps4

If you want to PM me any specific questions about the game and how it might relate to your anxiety, please feel free.

Ill keep that in mind if i have any questions about the game!! thanks! :D

I hear you bud.

Oddly enough, I find farming in Path of Exile to be ridiculously relaxing.

I was just looking at my game shelf and i was laughing about how all of my games are either horror games or action games lol figured it's time i found something relaxing to pop in when i'm having an anxiety attack

what's the point of the waypoint path if they only go for ca. 1/4 of the distance you can actually jump?

At least it still shows me the general direction of my starting system I guess...
Finished the Atlas quest and now doing some long distance warps for the first time. Might try a black hole for the first time next.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
How long did it take you to get from the second to the third?

I'd say about 70 - 80 hours but I pottered around for quite some time at the beginning. The best way of getting there quickly is to find crashed ships, dismantle them (three should be enough), save everything in your ship and then go for it! Black hole, solar system, black hole, solar system ...

Now back to the game. I've just got a couple more thing to repair.

Mathieran

Banned
So for those of you that have reached second or third galaxies, are you finding any differences in the planets? I'm still pretty far from reaching the second galaxy and I've been tied up with Deus Ex but I'm looking to play this some more once I'm done with my first playthrough of that.

mokeyjoe

So for those of you that have reached second or third galaxies, are you finding any differences in the planets? I'm still pretty far from reaching the second galaxy and I've been tied up with Deus Ex but I'm looking to play this some more once I'm done with my first playthrough of that.

As far as I know all the galaxies are basically more of the same.

You can shoot friendly ships and have it count too.

You can shoot friendly ships and have it count too.

Farm a ton of Metals like, Gold, Emeril and dump them all in your ship storage. Then just head to space and travel around your system. You will get jumped easly. If not warp to another and you will get jumped pretty quickly and you might even find a distress signal which will put you in a fight with 8 or more ships.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It's difficult to say. I'm randomly picking planets from a pool of 18 quintillion here! On my second galaxy I came across different plants and animals but was that just luck or was that by design?

Raven117

60 bucks worth? No. But I have been suffering from anxiety and this game does calm me down (As opposed to Doom, which is awesome, but gets me too riled up).

Mathieran

Banned
It's difficult to say. I'm randomly picking planets from a pool of 18 quintillion here! On my second galaxy I came across different plants and animals but was that just luck or was that by design?

Heh good point. It's definitely anecdotal but I feel like unusual features are becoming more common, and also rare resources seem more likely to occur as I travel closer to the center. I was hoping they would really dial everything up to 11 once you get a couple galaxies in.

Meliora

I just got the third one and have only checked out two planets here. My impression is that there isn't any differences really, more of the same. Still, I'm having fun exploring!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Heh good point. It's definitely anecdotal but I feel like unusual features are becoming more common, and also rare resources seem more likely to occur as I travel closer to the center. I was hoping they would really dial everything up to 11 once you get a couple galaxies in.

Red and Blue planets are good for resources, especially when they have 'pf' after the class.

VARIA

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the game's core philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ymRN6cCd0I

Great insightful review. Poetic even.

"no matter what did or didn't make the release, and no matter what they do or don't add down the line, the game that they shipped carries the spiritual core that they intended. Even looking at the marketing materials I feel like this is, to me at least, obvious. This is part of why I highlight the synergy between title and theme in the video: there was clearly always the intent that the game would be lonely, harkening back to Sean Murray's inspiration during a trip to the high Arctic, even if they'd hoped to make it a bit more active, a bit more busy."
-Folding Ideas

Totally how I feel as well

I'm in the third Galaxy, and while I can say things aren't THAT different, the planets are definitely more interesting more often. The one feature I'm seeing way more are very large caves, both underground and those that completely break up the terrain in interesting ways (lots of overhangs and floating islands).

And animals seem to be coming in larger varieties more often, with some planets having 2 instead of just one large species.

Z3M0G

I still wonder how many people enjoying the game were those who did not follow the hype during development (like me).
I was very vocal about the games shortcomings since long before release, when things were clearly not as people hoped or expected. At release I was away so I saw all the reviews and impressions before even having the chance to pick it up.

I still did and am enjoying it. But it was mostly paid for by trade-in credit. I want to see for myself what is at center and at end of Atlas path.

I have no interest in getting into what is in and not in but more that I have trepidation starting this without knowing if HG plans on like Rebooting the entire game with future updates lll

I have no interest in getting into what is in and not in but more that I have trepidation starting this without knowing if HG plans on like Rebooting the entire game with future updates lll

Oh I don't think you'll see a traditional "reboot" as much as you'll see features or content added in. Whether that constitutes a reboot or not is up to you.

I'd say if you're on the fence now, then wait for a while longer until the first actual new content is added in. That might give you a sense on the direction HG may want to support NMS, and give you a better sense as to whether you want to hop in or not.

Number45

Finally got my ship to 48 slots, though I'm not too keen on the design (it does have decent health). Now I need to decide whether to go for the upgrades or leave it a while to see if I can snag one that I prefer more.

Is the health important on the ships? I assume with upgraded shields it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Is the health important on the ships? I assume with upgraded shields it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

If it's those pirates you're worried about, a single ship upgrade (Theta if you have it) plus some decent cannon upgrades (+2/+3 dmg, +2/3 cooling, rapid fire, etc..) should do you well.

Destroy them all. Make them weep.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm still confused about how interesting things spawn. It seems like many interesting things don't spawn until you use a device to search for them. Ex. crashed ships via transmission towers.

I swore before 1.08 (PS4) I could just fly around and find crashed ships. I can't find them until after using transmission towers these days. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

mokeyjoe

I'm still confused about how interesting things spawn. It seems like many interesting things don't spawn until you use a device to search for them. Ex. crashed ships via transmission towers.

I swore before 1.08 (PS4) I could just fly around and find crashed ships. I can't find them until after using transmission towers these days. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

In 100 hours I never found a crashed ship without using a tower. So I doubt they've changed it.

In 100 hours I never found a crashed ship without using a tower. So I doubt they've changed it.

Definitely 100 hours here as well and I've found my fair share of crashed ships via flying about. In fact my current ship (post 1.08 patch) was picked up that way. It's wayyyyyyy easier to spot them on a planet with no fauna as you won't have anything really distracting you as you scan the ground. I just keep my eye out for the smoke coming up from downed probes/machinery and if I see more than one source of smoke around there I zoom in. A lot of the time it's nothing, but 1 out 10 times it's a ship. Again, doing this on a barren rock makes things a lot more manageable.

Z3M0G

Finished the Atlas path tonight. What does
birthing a new star
do exactly?

It seems I can detect
black holes
on my own... that combined with my upgraded warp drive (which I must stop and repair before I can go any farther...) is making the push to center very satisfying! I hope it makes this go much more quickly... I am only really starting towards center now and Atlas seemed to take me in the opposite direction.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Finished the Atlas path tonight. What does
birthing a new star
do exactly?

It seems I can detect
black holes
on my own... that combined with my upgraded warp drive (which I must stop and repair before I can go any farther...) is making the push to center very satisfying! I hope it makes this go much more quickly... I am only really starting towards center now and Atlas seemed to take me in the opposite direction.

A few tips for you:

1: Spend a few hours dismantling crashed ships and storing the parts
2: Only make 5 warp cells at a time
3: To find towers, go to a planet with no water and reasonably flat terrain.
4: You don't need your ship phasers but repair them anyway because if you don't it increases the chances of breaking something you DO need.

A few tips for you:

4: You don't need your ship phasers but repair them anyway because if you don't it increases the chances of breaking something you DO need.

you can do that? how?

I always feel you have to accept the ship first before you can.... OOH!

you can accept the ship dismantle then choose your old ship right? (since its nearby)

Shaneus

A few tips for you:

When you mention dismantling crashed ships, that involves moving everything from your ship to the other (if necessary), breaking down each component into it's base elements, moving *those* back to your original ship and then heading off?

r1chard

When you mention dismantling crashed ships, that involves moving everything from your ship to the other (if necessary), breaking down each component into it's base elements, moving *those* back to your original ship and then heading off?

No, all the stuff you leave in your original ship stays there and will be there when you swap back.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
you can do that? how?

I always feel you have to accept the ship first before you can.... OOH!

you can accept the ship dismantle then choose your old ship right? (since its nearby)

Park close to the crashed ship. Clear as much room in your suit inventory by moving it to your old ship. Click on new ship, compare and accept. Go back to your old ship (this is why you need to park close by. The icon is now on the new ship). Dismantle everything from the new ship and transfer it over to your suit inventory. Now select your old ship. Compare and accept. Bingo.

Transfer everything from your suit to your ship. Dismantled things stack so keep them for a while as you dismantle more ships. Once you've dismantled enough (making sure you've got enough space to craft 5 warp cells in your suit inventory), you're good to go and can warp through those black holes for quite some time before you have to seek out any other crashed ships.

Those stacked things are also handy for a spot of farming. Just put them at the top or bottom of your inventory to make sure you remember they're stackable. Just to note: Some people say you need two of something in the initial stack for it to work but I've been stacking stuff even though there was only ONE of the dismantled items.

DON'T just pick stuff you need at the moment, keep EVERYTHING you can because you're likely to need it later on.

Top Bottom