• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been following the game since it was announced, and throughout its development. Never gave into the hype, still playing the game. I've been playing games for a long time, and I've been burned by a lot of promising titles in the past. Enough to know that sometimes what you see is exactly, 100% what you get. I had watched dozens of hours of No Man's Sky videos and read countless interviews and hands-on previews, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect from the game day one.

I can't say I'm disappointed in the overall package. Just little bits and pieces of design that I hope future updates address and polish. It's a fun game to lose myself in over the weekends, and it insures I haven't burned myself out for when the inevitable feature content starts trickling in. I think Hello Games is very closely looking at the player analytics and seeing how active the game is, how many people refunded the game, etc, and planning out their course of action accordingly. The game is a financial success, but I hope next time people will actually do research on the product they're thinking of consuming, instead of giving in to PR and hype trains.

I mean, I bought Blood Omen 2 and Tomb Raider: Legacy of Darkness, so I think I know a bit about being burned on a poor purchase due to giving in to hype and PR (I still vividly remember the issue of OPM I bought where the developers of Blood Omen said how they had created a living/breathing city, and you could slink through the shadows along city streets and stalk prey and drink their blood. Sigh. It didn't help that the EB Games employee told me how amazing the game was, and I should buy it (turns out he hadn't even played the game. Asshole). So yeah, lesson learned, and since then I've made sure I was 100% sure on if the game was something I'd be interested in before buying. Have yet to be disappointed in many purchases since. Well, Haze was a bummer...

curb

Banned
I was fully on board the hype train but the multiple delays gave me a chance to step back and readjust my expectations. I started to realize that there's no way the game could ever live up to the hype. When it came out, I tried to enjoy it for what it was and not what it wasn't and I've been really happy with it. Sure, I wish some things were different but 30+ hours later, I've had a really great time with it.

I think I'll still play some occasionally, jump to a new system and see if I can find something interesting. I may even hit the center eventually (but that seems unlikely at this rate).

I've been following NMS ever since the reveal on that VGX show.

I've watched every trailer outputted by hello games and sony .. I've enjoyed NMS fully and i'm waiting for more content ..

The game's still on my PS4 , as soon as more content is there , i'll go back to it.

My one and only occupation at the moment is looking for a perfect paradise planet to leave the game at until new content rolls around. Make it my "home base" of sorts. I stay a bit on planets with Vortex cubes, sell 2-3 stacks for some quick money and move the hell on after. Have no real use for money but I build it up if I happen to see a ship I really like that's way above my current inventory range.

gspec

Lol i never saw the tentacle form of the gravitino ball. I was like wtf why is that thing reaching out of the plant ball thing.

@animals: you may want planets with few species (???) and high frequency (abundant etc) so that you don't have to walk around so much.

I am on a planet full of the tentacle Gravitino Balls. It freaked me out thinking it was going to attack or something.

I've been hyped since the Game Awards reveal and I still enjoy the game a lot. I've been taken away from it lately by The Tomorrow Children, but I'm looking forward to going back again soon.

I still wonder how many people enjoying the game were those who did not follow the hype during development (like me).

I followed the hype and I'm enjoying it a great deal. There are things that I wish were done differently, but overall I got almost exactly the game I expected. It's a wonderful exploration "simulator" (albeit in a fantasy way), and that's what I was hoping it would be. I don't want multiplayer, I don't want base-building, I just want to fly between worlds, look at some weird stuff and move on.

My biggest complaint at the moment is that I have a bug that makes it impossible to learn the blueprint for Health Module Tau. I have everything else, but that one will not activate anywhere. It's a marginal annoyance, because I never come close to dying anyway, but still; the completionist in me wants that exosuit fully loaded.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I hate to bring this shit up in this thread, but I found it amusing that the No Man's Sky dropping 90% of it's players after two weeks thread got a bump today, after the information of it being the best selling PS4 game digitally for August. Like, some people are really, truly upset that the game has been a financial success, and that there are people that are genuinely enjoying what the game currently has to offer.

I know Sean Murray said it would be a divisive game, and it certainly is, but some people need to fucking move on already. If the game isn't for you, just let it go and find a game that does interest you. It really isn't that hard a thing to do. It's like it sticks in their craw that they aren't enjoying something that other people are. I hate Call of Duty, but I'm not going to begrudge the people out there that do enjoy the franchise. Not every game is going to be for everybody, and "I don't like thing," doesn't automatically equate to "Thing I don't like is garbage," and honestly, the reverse is true. "I like thing," doesn't automatically equate to "Thing I like is the best thing ever." For me, personally, it's much easier to enjoy the things I enjoy over tearing down the things I don't enjoy.

No Man's Sky has been a commercial success, even if some folks have gotten refunds because it wasn't the game for them.

curb

Banned

It's too late now, the hate train has taken on a life its own. People are regurgitating meme-level responses at this point because the lynch mob has ingrained its opinion on people. Sean Murray is a thief, liar, destroyer of gaming and puppy murderer.

I'm exaggerating (not by much though) but the "hate train" idea is as real as the "hype train" one. A sentiment (positive or negative) can gain momentum online and take on a life of its own and NMS is on the negative end of one.

so tempted to dig her out

CsQz7UsWEAAY4pj.jpg

CsQzpFsW8AADlDd.jpg

yup I had a whole outpost inside a mountain it was raining inside the main room

I had one where an abandoned building had one corner just on the side of a crater, so the entire rest of the building was suspended about 10 feet above the ground. I also had an underwater save point yesterday, and using it glitched me through a wall and into a series of underwater caves that went on for several hundred meters before dead-ending. Fortunately I had a healthy supply of Titanium for my breathing tech and grenades work underwater so I was able to blast my way through to safety. But the terrain glitches are definitely amusing more often than not.

I've been following the game since it was announced, and throughout its development. Never gave into the hype, still playing the game. I've been playing games for a long time, and I've been burned by a lot of promising titles in the past. Enough to know that sometimes what you see is exactly, 100% what you get. I had watched dozens of hours of No Man's Sky videos and read countless interviews and hands-on previews, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect from the game day one.

Yeah, I was fairly realistic, and skeptical about some of the mechanics I saw. There were definitely those who were fully on the hype train, but I think most of us knew what we were getting. And to your point about the hate train, we were dealing with constant shitposters even back then; the launch was like a seven course meal for them.

I knew it was a crafting-heavy survival game and it looked really focused on micromanagement of meters, so I already knew going in that I wasn't real down with that kind of gameplay loop. But the promise of the exploration, and the seamless space/land hijinks, was enough to sell me. And except for the space combat, that's pretty much what I got. I hung my disappointment hat on the 'realistic' star systems, and hope they improve it, but if not oh well. It's totally fair for people to be a bit pissed about the multiplayer, but anyone who bought the game for that feature was bigging up something that was always meant to be small.

I think the game has a lot of potential if they can focus on the right features and make the gameplay feel like it doesn't get old. I'd like the game to get to the point where the combat feels fun on its own, instead of being a means to an end. I know some people enjoy combat, but I think most people would agree it could be improved. But because of the open nature of this game I'm sure everyone has their own wishlist, and not everyone will get what they want out of the future updates.

OuterLimits

I hate to bring this shit up in this thread, but I found it amusing that the No Man's Sky dropping 90% of it's players after two weeks thread got a bump today, after the information of it being the best selling PS4 game digitally for August. Like, some people are really, truly upset that the game has been a financial success, and that there are people that are genuinely enjoying what the game currently has to offer.

I know Sean Murray said it would be a divisive game, and it certainly is, but some people need to fucking move on already. If the game isn't for you, just let it go and find a game that does interest you. It really isn't that hard a thing to do. It's like it sticks in their craw that they aren't enjoying something that other people are. I hate Call of Duty, but I'm not going to begrudge the people out there that do enjoy the franchise. Not every game is going to be for everybody, and "I don't like thing," doesn't automatically equate to "Thing I don't like is garbage," and honestly, the reverse is true. "I like thing," doesn't automatically equate to "Thing I like is the best thing ever." For me, personally, it's much easier to enjoy the things I enjoy over tearing down the things I don't enjoy.

No Man's Sky has been a commercial success, even if some folks have gotten refunds because it wasn't the game for them.

Look, I like the game despite the flaws, but for some reason you want to ignore the fact that Sean shares blame on making promises he didn't follow through on. You don't give multiple interviews, including on Colbert, talking about multiplayer and then even continue to give conflicting statements at release. Yes, things get cut during development, but it seems like many features he talked about aren't in the launch version. Also, the game had(and still does although less) a huge amount of performance issues at release. I have never had a game crash on me like this.

I didn't ask for a refund because I'm enjoying the game despite the many issues and the misleading marketing. However, I'm not going to blame people who are annoyed and asked for a refund. You are blaming the consumer for falling for the hype essentially. You do realize Sean Murray shares blame for igniting the hype with misleading statements? Which is a big reason the game sold so well.

Spyware

I hype in my own way. I never go "OMG this is gonna be the best thing ever!", I'm just hyped to try something out whatever the result may be.
So I was hyped for NMS and pre-ordered it because it looked like a game I would enjoy. And I do, so I still play it.
It's such a great game for relaxation. I have a 10 week old puppy at home and when he's awake he's a little monster that needs constant attention (<3) and when he sleeps I need to wind myself down so I jump into NMS. It's extra good because it starts in just a few seconds and is easy to pause. Perfect puppy owner game :D

Yeah some things are missing and I can see what others might be annoyed and angry about, but I simply don't care. I just judge the game for what it is, I always do because I generally don't trust pre-release info/PR/whatevs, and that works out really well for me.

Shaneus

Jesus, 48m credits? I'm not even at 10.

Still, can't shake the addiction of mining the hell out of a treasure planet. And killing the pesky sentinels that pop up along the way. It's too cathartic.

And I think I'm nowhere near the max amount for my exosuit storage either. Can't remember what I'm on (I wanna say about 35-40ish?).

Multitool:

If you only had 2 slots - which do you think has the best bonus?

A) Sigma + Tau

B) Tau + Theta

C) Theta + Omega

how does it work when your slots are limited do you replace the lower ranked parts for higher ranked ones?

Raist

Banned
Multitool:

A) Sigma + Tau

B) Tau + Theta

C) Theta + Omega

how does it work when your slots are limited do you replace the lower ranked parts for higher ranked ones?

C, obviously.

Guess so. Never ran into limited space issues with the multitool, the boltcaster is useless.

Jesus, 48m credits? I'm not even at 10.

That's why I'm not plunking money down for a ship, I'll salvage one instead. Maybe when they do their freighter update we'll see what the going cost is like and what it offers. I might splurge then.

Multitool:

A) Sigma + Tau

B) Tau + Theta

C) Theta + Omega

It goes Sigma -> Tau -> Theta -> Omega, so Theta + Omega (if one is available) should give the better bonus. barring that, Tau + Theta. At least, that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong someone will correct me shortly lol

C, obviously.

Guess so. Never ran into limited space issues with the multitool, the boltcaster is useless.

haha yeah, my experience as well.

ARGH! I hate it when trying for 100% on a planet you have 1 box left to check mark
you find yourself surrounded by animals with little red dots under them

you scan 2 and they both do not count towards that check mark o_O

got 2 more planets of this shit left lol

C, obviously.

That's why I'm not plunking money down for a ship, I'll salvage one instead. Maybe when they do their freighter update we'll see what the going cost is like and what it offers. I might splurge then.

It goes Sigma -> Tau -> Theta -> Omega, so Theta + Omega (if one is available) should give the better bonus. barring that, Tau + Theta. At least, that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong someone will correct me shortly lol

haha yeah, my experience as well.

oh cool I should delete the Boltcaster then?

that would free up 1 slot lol

Shaneus

C, obviously.

I found that too. I just use whatever that red laser thing is, gives me the best of both worlds for mining and killing shit.

Is +1 the most it goes, or are there upgrades for it?

SomTervo

Look, I like the game despite the flaws, but for some reason you want to ignore the fact that Sean shares blame on making promises he didn't follow through on. You don't give multiple interviews, including on Colbert, talking about multiplayer and then even continue to give conflicting statements at release. Yes, things get cut during development, but it seems like many features he talked about aren't in the launch version. Also, the game had(and still does although less) a huge amount of performance issues at release. I have never had a game crash on me like this.

I didn't ask for a refund because I'm enjoying the game despite the many issues and the misleading marketing. However, I'm not going to blame people who are annoyed and asked for a refund. You are blaming the consumer for falling for the hype essentially. You do realize Sean Murray shares blame for igniting the hype with misleading statements? Which is a big reason the game sold so well.

Well said.

I still like it and they've done a great job in many ways, but when I look back to my posts from May-July waxing lyrical about systems and features Sean had JUST described being DEFINITIVELY in the game, which would have made the game 20x better, that ended up totally missing... I get pretty fucking salty

I need to get back on this game.

I just played it so damned much when it launched that I made myself sick. Something about the FOV I think. It seems like no matter how far I was adjusting it, it still felt super zoomed in.

I very quickly tear through Sentinels much faster with my boltcaster's homing bullets than I ever did with the mining laser - even with the railgun adapter.

Itzcoatl

Neo Member
Finally I can (un) confirm this.

I never visited the first atlas station before my atlas path disappeared, but now after many warps (maybe 15?) to new star systems, Nada & Polo showed up finally and I was able to reconnect to the atlas path.

Tried various paths...only following the yellow center path, or only free roaming but neither seemed to trigger it. Last night was was just warping as far along the center path as I could each time and also randomly free warping, then they showed up.

Thanks for posting. I went ahead and just started blasting toward the core last night and finally found Nada and Polo about a dozen warps in. Now I'm 5 Atlas stations in and very relieved that I didn't miss out.

Also, I've been rocking this portal gun looking multi tool for a few systems now, but I finally found one of those weird organic looking ones. Any opinions?

should I switch, gaf?

Chiming in to say I still enjoy the game. But I've been taking a break as it had a weird grip on me that kept me from sleep. Following that white dot to find that last species was killing me and was tainting my view on the game. Left one planet and found myself in a similar situation right next door.

I'm not sure if a patch made it harder or what but MAN! I already have the trophy but it's my main goal when playing besides taking footage to edit and share.

Shaneus

Also, I've been rocking this portal gun looking multi tool for a few systems now, but I finally found one of those weird organic looking ones. Any opinions?

should I switch, gaf?
I found a pretty organic-looking one quite early on (keep in mind, I'm only on my 8th-ish planet or so), probably should upgrade once I actually find one. Really only ever see it whilst either mining or melee-jumping.

mokeyjoe

Chiming in to say I still enjoy the game. But I've been taking a break as it had a weird grip on me that kept me from sleep. Following that white dot to find that last species was killing me and was tainting my view on the game. Left one planet and found myself in a similar situation right next door.

Lol, me too. There's never a logical place to stop. One more system, one more planet... now it's 5am. Gah.

labx

Banned

Well said.

I still like it and they've done a great job in many ways, but when I look back to my posts from May-July waxing lyrical about systems and features Sean had JUST described being DEFINITIVELY in the game, which would have made the game 20x better, that ended up totally missing... I get pretty fucking salty

One can only hope future updates brings something near what the guy promise. I guess that, would redeem the game sort of, but not the guy.

I think this video is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA21NUasw5A, found it in another post.

Number45

At the moment pinning a recipe of reminds you that you need to build something. Not what ingredients you need. Not very useful atm!
I would prefer pinning a formula, as well as adding it to the list as you hover, actually adds it to a separate pinned/favourites section in the crafting screen.

It'd also be quite cool if the game would allow you to craft an item if you have all of the materials for the child items. So let me craft a warp cell if I have the ingredients for suspension fluid, electron vapour and antimatter. Similarly, if I try to activate a ship terminal and I have materials for a bypass chip... create it!

Most of my issues with the game are actually pretty trivial quality of life things. Like PLEASE let me disable the "shields down" alarm. I'm upgrading ships so I have no intention of repairing it yet.

Number45

There's only ~1200 people playing no man's sky worldwide on Steam at the moment. Is this game for reals dead?
No idea, how does that compare to other similar games. And with NMS itself since launch?

It's not as if it matters to another player right now. You could be the only person on the planet playing it and it wouldn't be any better or worse as a game.

There's only ~1200 people playing no man's sky worldwide on Steam at the moment. Is this game for reals dead?

OMG! And Doom isn't even currently in the top 100! Doom must be for reals dead too!

But who the hell cares?

NMS is still effectively a single player game. You play it, you get what you're going to get out of it (which varies wildly from person to person), and then you move on when you've had your fill. We're almost a month and a half passed a very divisive launch. Most people who played it, whether or not they liked what they played, are very likely done or nearly done with experiencing the content on offer.

Whenever we get that first content patch (assuming we're still getting one), the population may go up again just to check out and see what's new. I doubt it will go up a lot, but it'll probably see a small spike. So I'd say for the small die-hard community the game isn't dead, but we're mostly in a holding pattern to see what's next.

mulac

Till they fix the ability to find animals easily or at least extend visor range and given an indication on where to look...I'm done with this game.

Even after countless hours of playing the game keeps surprising me at times.
Like these fellas for instance.

dWcRCAD9d7jXO.gif

Got the platinum a couple of days ago, but it's surprises like this that make me keep playing.

I'm going to be one of those 1,200 people for a long, long time. I really enjoy just jumping in my ship to fly around and explore the system, the odd dogfight or two and some mining and scanning before moving on. I find it really relaxing and even with 100 hours on the clock i still have only 3 Atlas stones :D

I'm a wandering nomad, a space cowboy out on the interstellar range and i love it.

Top Bottom