• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

https://youtu.be/FRKZ2h-OYxA

Obviously using the infinite jetpack mod, but the fact there's a game engine that lets you do this stuff still seems pretty cool to me.

Haha this is great. Dedication as well considering how long it took you in real time to do all that. Thanks for sharing!

Have you seen those videos of people trying to fly to the star/sun in their system and it eventually glitching the game to hell? Those are pretty gnarly as well.

Shaneus

Cheers guys :)

Still just farming on this one planet for the time being, though. Pretty sure I've spent so long on it literally none of the multitool upgrade stations I come across now have something new, always a tech I already have blueprints for.

r1chard

You need to dismantle the new ship and move the parts over to your suit inventory before you swap back.
That's not true at all. I churned through dozens of crashed ships:

1. accept crashed ship without transferring anything
2. go back to old ship and open the interface to take it
3. trash all the components in the crashed ship and transfer the parts
4. accept the old ship again

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's not true at all. I churned through dozens of crashed ships:

1. accept crashed ship without transferring anything
2. go back to old ship and open the interface to take it
3. trash all the components in the crashed ship and transfer the parts
4. accept the old ship again

Oh, OK, I was just being careful and didn't realise you could do that.

Z3M0G

A few tips for you:

1: Spend a few hours dismantling crashed ships and storing the parts
2: Only make 5 warp cells at a time
3: To find towers, go to a planet with no water and reasonably flat terrain.
4: You don't need your ship phasers but repair them anyway because if you don't it increases the chances of breaking something you DO need.
Thank you. But I'm hoping someone can still answer my top question

mokeyjoe

When you blow up the steel doors on those buildings - did the parts of the door always permanently lie around on the floor? Like they have physics and you can push them around and rock them and stuff? I'd never noticed that before.

Number45

Has anyone bothered with the health or shield boost upgrades for your suit? Not sure if it's necessary, but I guess at higher wanted levels it might end up useful? I've only ever really pissed off the lowbie sentinels and they're obviously no bother to deal with.

Raist

Banned
Has anyone bothered with the health or shield boost upgrades for your suit? Not sure if it's necessary, but I guess at higher wanted levels it might end up useful? I've only ever really pissed off the lowbie sentinels and they're obviously no bother to deal with.

Nah. Completely pointless and a waste of inventory space.

mokeyjoe

Not worth it. Even scrappy looking cow animals do more damage than sentinel lasers.

Number45

That's what I suspected, thanks. I have the life support (not even sure this is necessary), stamina and jetpack boosters installed and that should be enough.

Are higher-level warp drives more likely to appear in crashed ships after you've upgraded your current ship? Starting to think getting all(?) warp upgrades into my 21-slot ship was not the way to go.

Also, has anyone reached the center without cheating? I've barely made a dent from the starting number...

Raist

Banned
Are higher-level warp drives more likely to appear in crashed ships after you've upgraded your current ship? Starting to think getting all(?) warp upgrades into my 21-slot ship was not the way to go.

Yes.

Also, has anyone reached the center without cheating? I've barely made a dent from the starting number...

I've traveled across almost the entire galaxy (just warping, no black holes), so roughly twice the distance to the center.

I've traveled across almost the entire galaxy (just warping, no black holes), so roughly twice the distance to the center.

Wow, respect. I put 24 hours into the game in the first few days of it being out and then dropped off rapidly. It's very neat, though.

I love to play the game and sometimes (when I poo) read trought this and the past OT. But now that I reach the end of this awesome island of peace before I complete the game I'm really sad... please post more! :)

mokeyjoe

I travelled 30k in, then 70k back out. A lot of sideways movement too. If I hadn't been messing around so much I guess I would have been there by now.

What's "cheating"? Black Holes? There are a few people posting regularly here that have made it to the center. Sounds like Gribble's on his 3rd galaxy even.

I personally still have a long way to go. Though I think I may just engage with the Atlas path finally as a form of direction until I see it through, then continue jumping towards the center.

What's "cheating"?

Pretty sure people were talking about having reached the middle of the galaxy on day 1, though perhaps it was just data mining. I managed the Atlas path rather quickly, but just didn't feel like I was getting far in terms of ...directional progress.
(Also yeah I committed the cardinal sin of stepping into the thread without reading much of it, that's on me. Cheers!)

mario_O

Just got a new update (I'm on experimental branch), tried it for a while, and I think terrain is loading faster now.

Pretty sure people were talking about having reached the middle of the galaxy on day 1, though perhaps it was just data mining. I managed the Atlas path rather quickly, but just didn't feel like I was getting far in terms of ...directional progress.

Oh that! Yeah prior to the launch day patch (v1.03) there were people abusing an infinite warp cell exploit and just tearing to the center. I imagine they could have done this post launch as well, as long as they didn't apply the 1.03 patch.

As for making a dent in progress toward the center, I think the last few pages of the this thread have had a few people comment on their particular strategies for relatively quick traversal. Seems like one method would be to scour a planet for a few crashed ships, break down their parts and save what you get, craft a few warp cells, then start hitting black holes.

(Also yeah I committed the cardinal sin of stepping into the thread without reading much of it, that's on me. Cheers!)

hah don't pay that any mind :)

Just got a new update (I'm on experimental branch), tried it for a while, and I think terrain is loading faster now.

Oh man, if that improves things on the PS4 that'd be brilliant. The loading on ore deposits in particular are always confusing to me and making me do double-takes since before they pop in they have a default state that looks more like a monolith from a distance e.g. pyramid shape -> egg shape.

putermcgee

I travelled 30k in, then 70k back out. A lot of sideways movement too. If I hadn't been messing around so much I guess I would have been there by now.
I don't know what it's like on PC, but I think the universe map for plotting a course is so unwieldy that I'd have no idea if I'm heading in, out, sideways, etc. at any given point. Even traveling back to a previous system is an exercise in futility, so I typically just jump to whatever place the cursor lands on.

I don't know what it's like on PC, but I think the universe map for plotting a course is so unwieldy that I'd have no idea if I'm heading in, out, sideways, etc. at any given point. Even traveling back to a previous system is an exercise in futility, so I typically just jump to whatever place the cursor lands on.

Well, generally speaking as long as the "Distance to Center" number keeps ticking down, you're moving closer. Some jumps give you more bang for your warp cell's buck though. Personally, I think if I just wanted to cover ground and not explore a bunch of planets one evening, I'd just craft a ship full of warp cells and start using the path-to-the-center route. A full tank on my hyperdrive may not get me as far as a single black hole, but I also won't have to worry about scouring elements to fix whatever breaks when I exit it.

Hoodbury

Oh man, if that improves things on the PS4 that'd be brilliant. The loading on ore deposits in particular are always confusing to me and making me do double-takes since before they pop in they have a default state that looks more like a monolith from a distance e.g. pyramid shape -> egg shape.

It would be nice if they could make it so ore deposits you already mined don't show up when you look back at them from a distance.

VARIA

Really digging my new ship. It has a Raiden meets Gradius feel to it. It's only 20 slots but this is all I really need. I don't equip Phase beams and I still have some spare space.

u7xj2MJ.jpg

It would be nice if they could make it so ore deposits you already mined don't show up when you look back at them from a distance.

God yes that also bugs the crap out of me on those instances when I'm mining those larger deposits. When it comes to Gold, Emeril, Aluminum however, I usually try and just mine the green crystal deposits to save time.

Really digging my new ship.

u7xj2MJ.jpg

Great shot (and cool ship!). I really like the way it's framed. Would love to have a ship that looked like that on my current planet. Lots of blue ocean with a ton of small, just-above-the-water spits of land that can accommodate a single ship. Would be pretty striking to have a shot of your ship where it looked like it was just sitting atop the water.

Speaking of which, wish there was a ship type or upgrade that allowed for water landings. I want to explore some of the planets with deeper oceans but the deep points are so far from shore and it's such a slog to park on the shore and then slowly "swim" my way through the ocean. Would rather just park it in the middle and take a quick dive. Might speed up scanning for fish if there are some that are only hanging out in deeper waters.

Raist

Banned
Speaking of which, wish there was a ship type or upgrade that allowed for water landings. I want to explore some of the planets with deeper oceans but the deep points are so far from shore and it's such a slog to park on the shore and then slowly "swim" my way through the ocean. Would rather just park it in the middle and take a quick dive. Might speed up scanning for fish if there are some that are only hanging out in deeper waters.

Pro-tip:

Ecco.png

Haemi

Got today the bug where my ship was flying away without me. What i noticed was that i was actually "remote controlling" the ship. I was able to change the direction of the ship by strafing and then after pressing square the ship landed and i was teleported to the ship.
It's a better way to get your ship back than searching for a launchpad.

But maybe it's nothing new for you.

Hah fair enough. Still want water landings though.

Got today the bug where my ship was flying away without me. What i noticed was that i was actually "remote controlling" the ship. I was able to change the direction of the ship by strafing and then after pressing square the ship landed and i was teleported to the ship.
It's a better way to get your ship back than searching for a launchpad.

But maybe it's nothing new for you.

Now that version of the self-flying ship bug I've never seen or heard of. If it ever happens again, and on PS4, maybe try to kick out that footage ? Would love to see that.

Number45

Is it possible to find another 48 slot crashed ship if I'm already at 48 slots?

EDIT: Question answered on my next crashed ship!

Stanng243

Is there any way to search a planet for species without running over the whole thing on PS4? Is there an upgrade or something I'm missing? I have a lot of trouble finding the last species sometimes.

Z3M0G

I don't think there's a way currently to have an accurate count of how many stars are in a given galaxy, and then to see it pip up when Travelers decide to give those 10 stones to Atlas.
This is assuming it literally does what it says. But is there nothing else?

Why am I suddenly able to
locate black holes in the Galactic map easily
? I assume I couldn't always do that... or is that a gift for finishing Atlas as well?

This is assuming it literally does what it says. But is there nothing else?

I think we'll all be better off taking it to mean metaphorically.

Why am I suddenly able to
locate black holes in the Galactic map easily
? I assume I couldn't always do that... or is that a gift for finishing Atlas as well?

Yes, that's how I understand it;
Atlas knows that you know you're in a simulation, and it in turn knows its creation better the more you explore it, so it allows you to get on with it at a faster clip.

Top Bottom