• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Since we're on the topic of Atlas and his
self awareness, the story in this game is so strange and meta it's definitely unique. I'm not talking about its horrible payoffs, just what is there at the moment. The fact that the fictional representations of HG (which is basically what Atlas is) are aware of the imperfections of the simulation, how there are repeating assets "instead of endless variety" (something along those lines said) means HG were themselves quite aware that the game won't end up as intended but ended up acknowledging it in the plot itself. Atlas is the one getting the uploads, Atlas is the one who doesn't know its creation, Atlas is the one who wants more info of what is out there, the same way HG do. In the first day when people started uploading discoveries, Sean literally posted a graph showing the increase and number of them. It's the meta all over again.

I think the future updates and improvements ("expansions") that will (or would) be made would tie directly into the plot and I am sort of intrigued by that. Certainly something I have never seen in this medium (but have heard of in classic sci-fi literature). And I think people would actually appreciate it had the game not been 60$ and falsely advertised. As is, the game would have been a perfect early access 20-30$ game in a world where Sony wasn't involved and a console verison didn't exist. In such a world, such a meta plot would actually solidly pull me in.

EDIT: Added spoilers.

Raist

Banned
Since we're on the topic of Atlas and his
self awareness, the story in this game is so strange and meta it's definitely unique. I'm not talking about its horrible payoffs, just what is there at the moment. The fact that the fictional representations of HG (which is basically what Atlas is) are aware of the imperfections of the simulation, how there are repeating assets "instead of endless variety" (something along those lines said) means HG were themselves quite aware that the game won't end up as intended but ended up acknowledging it in the plot itself. Atlas is the one getting the uploads, Atlas is the one who doesn't know its creation, Atlas is the one who wants more info of what is out there, the same way HG do. In the first day when people started uploading discoveries, Sean literally posted a graph showing the increase and number of them. It's the meta all over again.

I think the future updates and improvements ("expansions") that will (or would) be made would tie directly into the plot and I am sort of intrigued by that. Certainly something I have never seen in this medium (but have heard of in classic sci-fi literature). And I think people would actually appreciate it had the game not been 60$ and falsely advertised. As is, the game would have been a perfect early access 20-30$ game in a world where Sony wasn't involved and a console verison didn't exist. In such a world, such a meta plot would actually solidly pull me in.

EDIT: Added spoilers.

Yep. I've pointed these things out before.

There's also a lot of things that people have flagged as "bad design", but I'd argue that it's realy good design instead. The game is incredibly self-consistent.

Sounds like some increased performance, particularly in the pop-in and framerate department, for PC. Which is nice for players on that platform. Don't know if they new way they're handling pop-in can be translated to the PS4 or if this is likely a PC only improvement.

Also:

Speaking of gameplay, there are a few adjustments on that end too. Instead of holding the E key or lingering on the “upload” button to catalog discoveries quickly, uploads must be made individually just like on PS4.

Is the adjustment that PC players now have to upload discoveries one by one, like on the PS4? Batch uploading would've been the right move, I'd think.

Speaking of which, wish there was a ship type or upgrade that allowed for water landings. I want to explore some of the planets with deeper oceans but the deep points are so far from shore and it's such a slog to park on the shore and then slowly "swim" my way through the ocean. Would rather just park it in the middle and take a quick dive. Might speed up scanning for fish if there are some that are only hanging out in deeper waters.

My problem is more that exploring underwater for any length of time is heavily penalized. The underwater upgrades deplete far faster than any of the hazard upgrades. I just want to chill underwater and swim around for a while, and basically the game doesn't allow me to do that.

Sounds like some increased performance, particularly in the pop-in and framerate department, for PC. Which is nice for players on that platform. Don't know if they new way they're handling pop-in can be translated to the PS4 or if this is likely a PC only improvement.

According to the reddit thread it sounds like they may have implemented or altered multithreading. No idea whether they've offloaded some of the work to the GPU or not. Putting some of the work on the GPU would probably have big improvements, and I'm not sure why they never did this considering the PS4 is so CPU bound. Innes was asked about it in her tech talk, but didn't seem to have any plans to do so at the time.

Regardless, it's good to hear the LOD generation has improved, and hope we see these increases on PS4...

According to that Reddit post, it looks like item stacking is getting patched....

Ugh, why?!?

As if the game isn't grindy enough, they take away the ability to alleviate the slow burn.

My problem is more that exploring underwater for any length of time is heavily penalized. The underwater upgrades deplete far faster than any of the hazard upgrades. I just want to chill underwater and swim around for a while, and basically the game doesn't allow me to do that.

This would also be a welcome development. Both ought to be there, tbh-- to encourage more exploration-- but slower degradation of aeration membranes would be great. As it is however, as long as you have all 3 upgrades as well as a Shielding Sheet recipe (75 Iron), staying underwater is fine given that all bodies of water seem to be teeming with iron sources. More stuff-- even if it's super rare-- worth discovering in oceans would be welcome as well; not just unfortunate waypoints like abandoned facilities and save points, that happened to get seeded there. I also would love to come across a huge undersea creature. I've definitely seen big creatures in my travels-- and huge ones in the air and on land-- but not underwater yet.

According to that Reddit post, it looks like item stacking is getting patched....

That better stay in the experimental stage and never get released in a general manner. Stacking trade items and crafted resources is one of those things the game desperately needs.

mokeyjoe

Ugh, why?!?

As if the game isn't grindy enough, they take away the ability to alleviate the slow burn.

Eh, can't say I've ever felt the need to use it. It's an exploit, may as well patch it out.

Melee boosting in the other hand...

This would also be a welcome development. Both ought to be there, tbh-- to encourage more exploration-- but slower degradation of aeration membranes would be great. As it is however, as long as you have all 3 upgrades as well as a Shielding Sheet recipe (75 Iron), staying underwater is fine given that all bodies of water seem to be teeming with iron sources. More stuff-- even if it's super rare-- worth discovering in oceans would be welcome as well; not just unfortunate waypoints like abandoned facilities and save points, that happened to get seeded there. I also would love to come across a huge undersea creature. I've definitely seen big creatures in my travels-- and huge ones in the air and on land-- but not underwater yet.

Yeah, to be fair I'm not stacking the aeration upgrades right now; I think I just have the theta. But it's more of a game design question – generally you want to put up roadblocks when there's something good behind it. But the oceans really have nothing worth going down to collect; even aquatic life is minimal in my experience. So why penalize what is essentially an area for exploration? It's meditative down there with the swaying plants and just cruising around; I don't want to deal with oxygen warnings when I'm just having a little relaxing swim.

I haven't seen any big aquatic creatures, either; certainly not whale-sized. Shark-sized is the biggest I've encountered.

OuterLimits

I'm not using the stack glitch, but I don't see the harm in keeping it. I certainly hope Sean doesn't disable the melee jetpack trick in future updates, or I may indeed quit the game. Only thing that makes moving around on planets bearable.

Apparently big pillars of stuff can be fully mined when the patch hits. I get the glitch where it stops working in the middle of huge deposits.

Some are saying there is some sort of atmosphere glitch and the predators in water swimming animation is broken, so hopefully that isn't the case.

Eh, can't say I've ever felt the need to use it. It's an exploit, may as well patch it out.

Melee boosting in the other hand...

It's only an exploit insomuch as stacking should have already been added for most if not all items, not just raw elements. Consumables (red background icons) are currently worthless because stacked raw minerals are more useful for the amount of space they take up.

The only thing I could see a reasonable argument for not having stacking (or very small stacks) would be expensive sellables like Vortex Cubes and Faction trinkets.

It's only an exploit insomuch as stacking should have already been added for most if not all items, not just raw elements. Consumables (red background icons) are currently worthless because stacked raw minerals are more useful for the amount of space they take up.

The only thing I could see a reasonable argument for not having stacking (or very small stacks) would be expensive sellables like Vortex Cubes and Faction trinkets.

But the internal game logic for that makes literally no sense. I find a tower of gold that's ten times as massive as my ship, my mining laser turns it into something that fits within a single slot in my ship's inventory. I find 10 gravitino balls that have a combined size smaller than myself, "INVENTORY FULL" (never mind something like a Vy'Keen Dagger... seriously, how big is this knife that my ship can't possibly hold more than a few dozen?). It makes things feel unnecessarily grindy for no reason outside of "we want it to be harder for the player to stretch out the play time," and that's a bad reason for a design choice.

SenkiDala

Who! A pretty weird thing happened! :D

I just got the Platinum trophy for the game, finished the Atlas Path etc (and the game) and I check my trophes and that plat was... My 2001th trophy! I didn't plan that at all I didn't even think about it 1 second!

Well it's nothing I know but... I think the coincidence is pretty funny.

Who! A pretty weird thing happened! :D

I just got the Platinum trophy for the game, finished the Atlas Path etc (and the game) and I check my trophes and that plat was... My 2001th trophy! I didn't plan that at all I didn't even think about it 1 second!

Well it's nothing I know but... I think the coincidence is pretty funny.

Proof that we're living in a simulation and the creators have a sense of humor? That's a fantastic coincidence though! I'd even suggest tweeting it out to HG as I'm sure it'd give them a smile (though I wouldn't expect a response lol)

SenkiDala

Proof that we're living in a simulation and the creators have a sense of humor? That's a fantastic coincidence though! I'd even suggest tweeting it out to HG as I'm sure it'd give them a smile (though I wouldn't expect a response lol)

Ahah I thought about it but I dunno how to prove it... T_T

EDIT: Oh I found! With PSN Profiles!
9gRpVib.jpg
I'll tweet them then. :p

Ahah I thought about it but I dunno how to prove it... T_T

I mean I don't think you need extensive evidence to prove it or anything. I think the anecdote alone would be appreciated for what it is; an acknowledgement to them that you played through all the challenges/milestones they set forth, the culmination of which coincidently gave a nod to a seminal science fiction film m sure they've all seen. It's a pretty dope footnote.

Edit: well, shit. That'll do dandy lol

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
video or it did not count!

can you at least tell me how many warps your first 1 took?

Jesus, man, I'm not counting warps! It would have actually been an hour faster if it hadn't crashed three times and I wasn't so damned unlucky with some of the breakages after warping. Anyway, I'm done now, it really is time to find a peaceful planet to build my home.

Jesus, man, I'm not counting warps! It would have actually been an hour faster if it hadn't crashed three times and I wasn't so damned unlucky with some of the breakages after warping. Anyway, I'm done now, it really is time to find a peaceful planet to build my home.

that's cool I would want to build my home a few galaxies in myself away from all others :p

Is there a best way to organise warp drive upgrades? I have mine in a line worst to best and am getting about 500-600 light years, yet I have seen other players mention getting 1500 light years a jump.

Is there a best way to organise warp drive upgrades? I have mine in a line worst to best and am getting about 500-600 light years, yet I have seen other players mention getting 1500 light years a jump.
That's how i have it and i get 1616 (linear distance). Circle indicator is almost full. Apparently you get more bonus if they share as many sides as possible?
Note that if you use the pathway line that it only goes 1/4 of your max distance. Just go free mode and pick a star further away.

Shaneus

Finally, just found a wreck that gave me a stackable vortex cube! I bet I fuck it up somehow and accidentally sell it.

Happy that I got it before the patch though. And while I'm still on this rad mining planet loaded with cubes, balls, gold and trading posts.

OuterLimits

I have landed on hundreds on planets, but first time I have landed on a moon with hostile species everywhere. Got out of my ship and was immediately getting attacked. Which has happened before, but I had never had so many red dots showing hostile creatures. So I fly off and land at an outpost. I stand on top of my ship and notice red dots everywhere while using the visor. Yep, it's those damn crabs, but I have never seen them with such overwhelming numbers. Plus the sentinels although not aggressive, are in the "regular" category which would make them not very forgiving of killing off the wildlife. Only 6 species on this planet, and I'm guessing most if not all are hostile. . The planet also has constant storms, although not technically an "extreme" planet.

Wish I had better shields so I could go to war on this moon. Honestly, I find that moons can often be more interesting than planets.

I have landed on hundreds on planets, but first time I have landed on a moon with hostile species everywhere. Got out of my ship and was immediately getting attacked. Which has happened before, but I had never had so many red dots showing hostile creatures. So I fly off and land at an outpost. I stand on top of my ship and notice red dots everywhere while using the visor. Yep, it's those damn crabs, but I have never seen them with such overwhelming numbers. Plus the sentinels although not aggressive, are in the "regular" category which would make them not very forgiving of killing off the wildlife. Only 6 species on this planet, and I'm guessing most if not all are hostile. .

Wish I had better shields so I could go to war on this moon. Honestly, I find that moons can often be more interesting than planets.

It's insects/crabs. Isn't it? Had 1 similar planet and I reserved the starship troopers planet names for them :D

Crispy

I notice Eurogamer uses the word 'bullish' quite a bit recently...could anyone enlighten me why Yoshida's response would be called bullish? I don't really see it...

Sorry for being a bit off topic. I'm a professional writer, so these kind of things interest me a lot.

Eurogamer said:
Yoshida was bullish when asked if he thought the experience had harmed the PlayStation brand at all.

"I am super happy with the game actually, and I'm amazed with the sales the game has gotten, so I'm not the right person to judge if it has 'harmed' the PlayStation brand. I personally don't think so. If anything, I am proud that people can play No Man's Sky on PS4 as well as PC."

Number45

Tried to get a HUD-less shot on PS4:

I guess you can't get rid of that space anomaly marker in the screens. Also disappointed to find that it shares to Twitter as JPG when screenshot function is set to PNG - I guess I need to export and upload somewhere for full quality.

Shame PS+ doesn't have a web interface that you can get to your captured photos.

Raist

Banned
Looks like there was another update on the experimental branch on steam.
So, maybe a patch over the week-end on PS4?

Tried to get a HUD-less shot on PS4:
I guess you can't get rid of that space anomaly marker in the screens. Also disappointed to find that it shares to Twitter as JPG when screenshot function is set to PNG - I guess I need to export and upload somewhere for full quality.

Shame PS+ doesn't have a web interface that you can get to your captured photos.

I wish the media server app would allow copying screens directly from PS4 to a computer.
The whole USB transfer thing is a pain.

Loudninja

Looks like there was another update on the experimental branch on steam.
So, maybe a patch over the week-end on PS4?

I wish the media server app would allow copying screens directly from PS4 to a computer.
The whole USB transfer thing is a pain.
Yeah maybe ,cant wait to see.

OuterLimits

So since the next patch is likely getting rid of stacked items exploit, I'm guessing mining emeril will be one of the best ways to make money? Granted, having a huge amount of open slots will still make getting some of the other items a great idea if close to a trade machine on the planet.

As much as I'm loving this game, it's clear that the difficulty was lowered all in the name of accessibility. The ability to carry more than you could have done and the standout obvious of "You have found a signal from a distance star", when the signal is always coming from the planet you're on - are just two I can think of off the top of my head.

I wish they'd give us a higher difficulty. One where resources were rare, where there is no one but you on the planet and most of all, no ability to upgrade every minute. If you want me to explore, don't give me reasons to stay (other than the beauty, collecting resources and base building). I would be more inclined to travel to a new system if the next upgrade was many light years away.

gspec

So since the next patch is likely getting rid of stacked items exploit, I'm guessing mining emeril will be one of the best ways to make money? Granted, having a huge amount of open slots will still make getting some of the other items a great idea if close to a trade machine on the planet.

Where did you heard this about removing the stacked items?

Raist

Banned

Terumin is good money. All alloys are really.

Top Bottom