• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Where did you heard this about removing the stacked items?

A Reddit user posted that they were unable to create stacks after dismantling ship tech from abandoned ships with the experimental patch. Another user mentioned that they could still use their current stack and add to it, but they also couldn't create new stacks. Not sure if Hello Games will disable current stacks or not with the official patch.

The best way is not farm Gravitino Balls or Vortex Cubes?

IMO, Farming Vortex Cubes is probably the easiest way to get units as they don't seem to alert the sentinels and they're littered all over the cave floors on planets that have them. I have a 100 stack in both my suit and ship. Each time I cash in both stacks I make a little over 5M units.

I really hope item stacking isn't patched. I would be fine with it if they decided to make it a tech you needed to learn but to outright get rid of it is the wrong choice. All it would accomplish is making it take more time to achieve the same result. The game is already a grind; I really hope they don't make it even more of a chore.

As much as I'm loving this game, it's clear that the difficulty was lowered all in the name of accessibility. The ability to carry more than you could have done and the standout obvious of "You have found a signal from a distance star", when the signal is always coming from the planet you're on - are just two I can think of off the top of my head.

I wish they'd give us a higher difficulty. One where resources were rare, where there is no one but you on the planet and most of all, no ability to upgrade every minute. If you want me to explore, don't give me reasons to stay (other than the beauty, collecting resources and base building). I would be more inclined to travel to a new system if the next upgrade was many light years away.

I actually think we ought to be able to care more than we currently do, but I do agree that having more resource scarcity, as well as having some more impetus to explore beyond our starter planet & system i.e. not being able to kit out your exosuit to the max in the starter system (or planet, or my case). You're also right about those "You have found a signal from a distance star"showing that they scaled back the scope of how far waypoints could be placed on your map; though to the end I feel what we have now is miles better than if I had grabbed a waypoint "from deep within space" from one of the observatories, spent the effort flying there, only for it to be an abandoned facility with a blueprint I already had. Better to get that disappointment out of the way quickly on the same planet you're on. To that end, they should at least change the text displayed so that it reflects the new reality of observatories pointing out waypoints on-planet.

So since the next patch is likely getting rid of stacked items exploit, I'm guessing mining emeril will be one of the best ways to make money? Granted, having a huge amount of open slots will still make getting some of the other items a great idea if close to a trade machine on the planet.

I think even without the stacked items exploit-- which I still haven't had the chance to try out yet-- my go-to for making cash fast is finding a trading post/terminal next to a cave with a bunch of pearls (they spawn in clusters). Just grab one and deal with the sentinels, all the way up till you get that 5th Wanted Level, then just dust the walker and no more sentinels will spawn, leaving you to collect a suit's worth of pearls without worry or triggering more hostiles. Then, once your sufficiently cleared the cave network out, just save, exit, and load your game up again. All the pearls should have reset and you can do it again.

I notice Eurogamer uses the word 'bullish' quite a bit recently...could anyone enlighten me why Yoshida's response would be called bullish? I don't really see it...

Sorry for being a bit off topic. I'm a professional writer, so these kind of things interest me a lot.

I think they're using bullish in the financial sense – when the stock traders are feeling positive about the future of the market, they're considered bullish, and when they're feeling pessimistic they're considered bearish. Looking at the Oxford dictionary, there's a British use of the word meaning "aggressively confident", so that may be why Eurogamer is using it. Yoshida, despite his diss of Sean's marketing technique, was positive about the game and the future of it, so I think 'bullish' is a fair assessment of that.

I think even without the stacked items exploit-- which I still haven't had the chance to try out yet-- my go-to for making cash fast is finding a trading post/terminal next to a cave with a bunch of pearls (they spawn in clusters). Just grab one and deal with the sentinels, all the way up till you get that 5th Wanted Level, then just dust the walker and no more sentinels will spawn, leaving you to collect a suit's worth of pearls without worry or triggering more hostiles. Then, once your sufficiently cleared the cave network out, just save, exit, and load your game up again. All the pearls should have reset and you can do it again.

Your reload trick is another exploit though.

No judgment to how others want to play the game, but I try to just play the game the way that Hello intended me to play it. I'm in no rush to put it down, and without additional objectives most people who max out their stats will get bored and drop it. I'd rather just keep playing slowly and enjoy the improvements as they come.

I agree with the parent poster that the game is way too easy right now. The survival aspects are more annoying than challenging. Even the platinum is (relatively) easy.

mokeyjoe

I agree with the parent poster that the game is way too easy right now. The survival aspects are more annoying than challenging. Even the platinum is (relatively) easy.

Yes. I was thinking about this today. There are various changes that I think could be made to improve what's there.

Pointless 'survival' mechanics should be removed, or made into an actual challenge. For instance - fuel. Asteroids are everywhere so you don't get stranded in space. This is not a survival mechanic as the ubiquity of asteroids removes that. It's just an annoyance, aesthetically and mechanically. If you don't want people to get stranded in space then remove the fuel requirement for the pulse drive - as it currently serves no purpose. Then you can scale back the asteroid soup, and reduce the annoyance of having to refuel over and over. This doesn't diminish the gameplay in any way, as there was never any risk in the first place.

Conversely - the launch thrusters. They take plutonium, which is everywhere. Here you have the same issue - it feels dumb, isn't fun and only serves as an irritant. Here though, you can go the other way - make it harder to find. This encourages exploration and reduces the stupidity of plutonium sticking out of the ground everywhere and increases potential for planet variability. But what if players get stuck and can't find the element? Well what would happen if you ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere in your car? You either hike somewhere to buy fuel or you call for assistance. A simple 'distress call' mechanic, that say, lands a drop pod with a fuel cell somewhere nearby on the planet - with some cost attached (money and perhaps lowering your faction standing) solves this in a far more elegant way.

I'm fine with the idea of not leaving players stranded and having to reload, if that's what they want. But it would be better to either remove them or have a 'get out of trouble 'card, which penalises the player in some way and encourages forward planning or exploration than the approach they currently use which is to introduce survival mechanics and then negate them by making resources omnipresent and over-abundant.

Raist

Banned
No but seriously.

1. Get the Terumin BP
2. Find a space station / NPC buying it for double the price
3. Stock up on Zinc / Platinum / Gold / Emeril
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Filling up 6 ship slots will give you ~2M. Of course, you'll have to spend some time crafting Herox and then Terumin. But I'm pretty sure that's the quickest way to make some cash without using glitches or "tricks" or making a million round trips.

No but seriously.

1. Get the Terumin BP
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Filling up 6 ship slots will give you ~2M. Of course, you'll have to spend some time crafting Herox and then Terumin. But I'm pretty sure that's the quickest way to make some cash without using glitches or "tricks" or making a million round trips.

Welp. Looks like after I pick up some whiskey after work today, this is what I'll be doing.

No but seriously.

1. Get the Terumin BP
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Zinc isn't that easy to find though, certainly not compared to planets that have cave systems filled with hundreds of vortex cubes or the like. It's not like you ever find stockpiles of thousands of units of Zinc; it's just 20 or so per plant. So it's doable, but stockpiling that Zinc is going to take just as much time as stockpiling vortex cubes, if not more. I've been playing for a while so I've got near 1,000 units of Zinc in my cargo; I'll have to try this out. But starting from scratch, I feel like it would still take a super long time to amass a real hefty sum.

Raist

Banned

I've done this before.

It didn't go well. Guess having the PG on full upgrades doesn't help.

Zinc isn't that easy to find though, certainly not compared to planets that have cave systems filled with hundreds of vortex cubes or the like. It's not like you ever find stockpiles of thousands of units of Zinc; it's just 20 or so per plant. So it's doable, but stockpiling that Zinc is going to take just as much time as stockpiling vortex cubes, if not more. I've been playing for a while so I've got near 1,000 units of Zinc in my cargo; I'll have to try this out. But starting from scratch, I feel like it would still take a super long time to amass a real hefty sum.

You can either buy it for cheap if you can't be arsed, but it's not uncommon to find planets with decent amounts of zinc/plat flowers (like 4-5 on average on a single scan) + Gold deposits and Emeril crystals.

mokeyjoe

Given the relative scarcity of zinc I just decided to always collect it and buy it whenever I had the chance. As long as you keep in mind that you always need zinc you should be able to maintain a decent stockpile.

r1chard

Finally bit the bullet and finished the Atlas Path. Had to search around to buy back the 5 stones I'd sold ;-)

And now, after that
non-event
I'm back to just wandering around :)

As someone who has developed a whole lot of games on my own, I recognise in this one that it's just not finished - in fact it's barely started. I can see things like the Atlas Path just not really going anywhere - just ending with a text box - and I see the games that I've made in a rush and not completed, and only had time to whack in that final text box so at least the game doesn't CRASH when you finish quest X. It's been rushed out - most likely because of the publisher - before the devs got the features in that they wanted, and I can sympathise with that a lot. There's a neat technology here, and the thinnest veneer of actual game that they could scrape together at the last minute. Maybe they will be given the opportunity to add more game to it, who knows...

mokeyjoe

Finally bit the bullet and finished the Atlas Path. Had to search around to buy back the 5 stones I'd sold ;-)

And now, after that
non-event
I'm back to just wandering around :)

As someone who has developed a whole lot of games on my own, I recognise in this one that it's just not finished - in fact it's barely started. I can see things like the Atlas Path just not really going anywhere - just ending with a text box - and I see the games that I've made in a rush and not completed, and only had time to whack in that final text box so at least the game doesn't CRASH when you finish quest X. It's been rushed out - most likely because of the publisher - before the devs got the features in that they wanted, and I can sympathise with that a lot. There's a neat technology here, and the thinnest veneer of actual game that they could scrape together at the last minute. Maybe they will be given the opportunity to add more game to it, who knows...

Not sure why you spoilered that, but I agree. Although as far as I know Hello is also the publisher - I imagine the real reason it was released was complete lack of money, as they were self funded and I would guess the sales of Joe Danger had fallen off somewhat... Anyway, I love the tech, and imagining the sorts of game mechanics you could introduce into such a universe is cool, but yeah it's not there yet, there's a real early beta feel.

It was always intended that the game would have regular free updates, and the post on the Hello website confirms this is still the case. If they could fund 3 years of development of this off the back of Joe Danger and it's sequel then they should be good to go for a while from the huge NMS sales. It's definitely unfinished, I can't imagine even the most rabid fan would say otherwise, I think it's just everyone's hope they stick to their guns and finish it (and then some).

I'm not in the 'lies' camp, I'm in the 'ran out of time and money and couldn't finish it' camp - because, as you say, the 'unfinishedness' of the game is so apparent. I certainly think that with further updates and additions, fleshing out what's there, would make a world of difference to the game. I also think gamers are fickle, and will come back to check out the game if significant changes are made, and stick around if they turn out to be worthwhile. I think much of the negative vitriol is partly due to the fact that people wanted the game to be good, and I think deep down many still do. Ultimately, the concept and promise of the game is something people want, and remains so.

There's a lot of work to be done, I think, but I'm intrigued and entertained enough by what is there currently to remain interested in what happens with the game over time. I enjoyed hearing what the Giantbomb guys said about it, as their thoughts echoed mine very closely.

I actually think we ought to be able to care more than we currently do, but I do agree that having more resource scarcity, as well as having some more impetus to explore beyond our starter planet & system i.e. not being able to kit out your exosuit to the max in the starter system (or planet, or my case). You're also right about those "You have found a signal from a distance star"showing that they scaled back the scope of how far waypoints could be placed on your map; though to the end I feel what we have now is miles better than if I had grabbed a waypoint "from deep within space" from one of the observatories, spent the effort flying there, only for it to be an abandoned facility with a blueprint I already had. Better to get that disappointment out of the way quickly on the same planet you're on. To that end, they should at least change the text displayed so that it reflects the new reality of observatories pointing out waypoints on-planet.

It's an easy fix. They should just change it to something you don't have, rather than something random.

And as above, the fuel situation would need to be changed. That goes for everything, not just your ship. Two elements fuel EVERYTHING. What are the other "products" for? Different cells to power your suit and tool...but you don't even need them, to the point where I sell them more than I actually use them. Your shields are a step in the right direction, because at least titanium is a bit more hard to come by than iron. And with iron you can't just fix your suit just like that. It requires some kind of production.

And the exploration of a planet is far too easy, when you can just liftoff and fly about for resources. It should be that you earn that right by walking on foot or finding a landing pad. Add that to the last part, you have a situation where you land and have to find the resources to just make the product. Trapped on a hostile planet having to find the right elements, has more drama than landing to pick up some plutonium.

You don't even need to change anything. Buildings just won't be there. Even if they couldn't touch the amount of resources, they can just reduce the yield on the mining tool. And you'd also have a choice of mining the hell out of something expensive or saving some of it's power to be able to mine resources to fuel the thing in the first place. It's own inbuilt leveler. Making warp cells is where this game really succeeds, because you usually have to create them and from other products. Imagine if it was just, "Create a hyper dive and use plutonium to fuel it", it would be far too easy. I even got to a point where I had too many warp cells and had to stop making them. If that had been plutonium I could have just thrown it away safe in the knowledge I could just pick some more up later.

It's simple. They didn't want people trapped on that first planet, so they gave them everything they needed. I get that, but they could have let people off the hook at the start and then have the game tighten up as they progressed (the more you can carry, the less you can mine). Then every planet doesn't have everything you'll ever need. Suit upgrades make me feel guilty, especially the time I was about to leave a planet and came across 4 in a couple of minutes :D I've even ignored some out of sheer embarrassment.

And it must go without saying, having health, shields and life support is massively excessive. I have never died while on a planet...not even close. Any other game and that would be an arrogant boast, but here it's just common place. I even wonder how far I would need to jump from to die? :D

I'm not in the 'lies' camp, I'm in the 'ran out of time and money and couldn't finish it' camp - because, as you say, the 'unfinishedness' of the game is so apparent. I certainly think that with further updates and additions, fleshing out what's there, would make a world of difference to the game. I also think gamers are fickle, and will come back to check out the game if significant changes are made, and stick around if they turn out to be worthwhile. I think much of the negative vitriol is partly due to the fact that people wanted the game to be good, and I think deep down many still do. Ultimately, the concept and promise of the game is something people want, and remains so.

There's a lot of work to be done, I think, but I'm intrigued and entertained enough by what is there currently to remain interested in what happens with the game over time. I enjoyed hearing what the Giantbomb guys said about it, as their thoughts echoed mine very closely.

I'm a big fan of the game, and it definitely feels unfinished. But I'm not in the "lies" camp or the "ran out of time/money" camp; I'm in the "got so caught up in the technology that they never actually developed a game to pair with it." Everything feels tacked on to the awesome tech demo that is exploring a planet, jumping in your ship, flying off the planet into outer fucking space, flying to ANOTHER GODDAMN PLANET, and repeat forever. That was the narrative that Sean was constantly pushing, and when people began to reasonably assert "that doesn't actually sound like a game," they tacked on some survival mechanics and a series of "missions" that don't feel like they belong in the universe Sean was describing. Because his goal was the tech, not the game on top of it. Part of the reason I enjoy the game so much is because I don't give a fiddler's damn about the missions either; I love the tech demo that lets me fly from planet to planet in a seemingly infinite universe. But I do hope that they can take this Assassin's Creed 1 "repetitive tech demo" experience and craft a sequel with the shine of Assassin's Creed 2. They've got the money to expand their staff tenfold, which should help not just with advances in procedural generation, but improvements to gameplay and story elements that didn't connect. Fingers crossed; even if all they do is add a few thousand more anatomical parts that could be randomly put together to increase the variety of species you come across, that would be magic for those of us that just want to explore a procedural universe without all the nonsense that other games would put us through. But if they can craft a brilliant story along with it? Even better.

On a completely unrelated note, I've had so many planets where I've gotten within one species of completion, but got tired of looking around and jetted off to the next thing. My favorite planet that I've discovered yet (which I'll never find again as that was a few thousand light years in warps ago) had an awesome climate, yellow grass, red trees, low sentinel presence, flora and fauna EVERYWHERE, and I figured, hell, this is perfect, maybe I won't ever leave. Still didn't manage to get all the species. But I landed on a planet yesterday, and found all ten species within literally 5 minutes. Whole bunch of things around my ship, a couple flying species, dove into the water and found a school of jellyfish and a school of penis-eels, and boom, 100%. That's maddening. It was a shitty frostbitten planet too, so I doubt I'll go back, even for the 5 meter tall armored sloths.

I really like this game.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, the game is way too easy and much of this comes from the way too generous shielding. The thing is if they want to make the game super accessible then the game is plenty big enough to have its cake and eat it too.

Minecraft has sandbox and survival modes. You could do a similar thing, you could even do it in game (like choosing a path). There is far too much pandering to the lowest common denominator - but the fact is even the lowest common denominator doesn't stay that way for ever; surely it's the most basic element of gaming 101 that the challenge increases as you play.

As for the fuel. Well the fact that you can craft fuel cells and unstable plasma etc seems to suggest that crafting for fuel was considered but like so many aspects of the game, jettisoned in the rush to release. Same for shielding shards etc. As you point out though, it's almost just a matter of tweaks and balances to make most of this stuff work.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I love the way this game 'ends' but I'm looking forward to finding out how this game really ends.

And Sean, if you decide to add multiplayer and make it more difficult, please put that on the outer reaches of the galaxy so your fans don't have to deal with it. I bought the game you sold me and I don't want it changing. NMS is a way of getting away from all the clutter and clatter of daily life so I don't want it to remind me it exists.

More variety would be nice though, and cut down on those damned geometric shapes and floating islands, they're an eye sore.

mokeyjoe

I love the way this game 'ends' but I'm looking forward to finding out how this game really ends.

And Sean, if you decide to add multiplayer and make it more difficult, please put that on the outer reaches of the galaxy so your fans don't have to deal with it. I bought the game you sold me and I don't want it changing. NMS is a way of getting away from all the clutter and clatter of daily life so I don't want it to remind me it exists.

More variety would be nice though, and cut down on those damned geometric shapes and floating islands, they're an eye sore.

I can understand that, it's why I play it too - but there is so much more potential there it's infuriating. So give people the choice.

I was thinking about this earlier - maybe some sort of career system, with suit and ship modifications to match. Korvax - exploration (like now); Vykeen - survival, combat; Gek - trade, mining.

The paths at the beginning of the game give you a choice of ways to play, that concept exists, but it's half-heartedly executed.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can understand that, it's why I play it too - but there is so much more potential there it's infuriating. So give people the choice.

I was thinking about this earlier - maybe some sort of career system, with suit and ship modifications to match. Korvax - exploration (like now); Vykeen - survival, combat; Gek - trade, mining.

The paths at the beginning of the game give you a choice of ways to play, that concept exists, but it's half-heartedly executed.

As long as it doesn't affect the whole game I'm fine with it but I'm worried those people who keep moaning about no multiplayer will force Sean to change the nature of the game. We went to great length to explain to people there was no multiplayer but lo and behold, 'Sean lied' (let's not start this conversation in here but it drives me crazy that people thought it was).

On another note, I'm starting to worry about the fourth galaxy. I've been playing for hours now, flown from one solar system to the other, gone through dozens of black holes and STILL this galaxy feels so bleak. Dark space everywhere and not a single inviting looking planet yet. I've never gone this long in the other three galaxies without at least one 'Edenish' planet appearing. I do hope I've not hit a 'Demon Seed'.

Galaxy 3 was the best so far.

On the topic of making units, why is it such a priority for many people? I've barely gone out of my way to grind units and I'm carrying around in excess of 30 million. I've got all maxed slots and I'm really struggling to find anything worthwhile to spend it on. So why do people want to grind for something that has next to no use?

After the 2014 VGX trailer, IIRC Sean said in an interview , that going through a portal resulted losing your ship, or something like that. My guess is that they saw early on that this was not working (gameplay wise) and they replaced them with the black holes.

Why are they still in the game? i don't know.

Well, in the game files Portals have events and text choices relating to them. A mod reintroduced the button prompt used to interact with Portals and they worked in a way similar to Monoliths in that you need to answer a question correctly. In their case, they were asking lore questions. So, it was supposed to work this way - ruins teach you the lore and you actually use that lore as a "key" to open portals. It gave a more meaningful incentive to learn about the world for sure.

However, when following these "events" to completion there is a "timewarp" command listed as a reward that simply prompts the "inventory full" message, meaning it doesn't do anything. Whether "timewarp" is just a generic or "fun" name we don't know at this point but some have speculated that they planned on some sort of time travel mechanic that was supposed (or is going) to transport you back to the times of conflict described by the lore, also introducing (which would, again, be lore appropriate) bigger and more meaningful faction mechanics before
the simulation became too predictable (hint hint, trailer style faction battles).

I somehow doubt it but eh. If it was something scrapped in the last moment (which would be why there are still portals in the game) it is suspect why there are little to no mentions of specific mechanics in the files. It's weird for sure. Anyhow, this is how the mod looks if someone hasn't seen it already:

Link

Currently the reward has been set to give out an Atlas Stone and to increase the status with the appropriate faction since "timewarp" doesn't do anything. Also, when you enter your ship it prompts the black hole travel instantly. So, it's the best they can do so far to mimic what could have been intended.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
On the topic of making units, why is it such a priority for many people? I've barely gone out of my way to grind units and I'm carrying around in excess of 30 million. I've got all maxed slots and I'm really struggling to find anything worthwhile to spend it on. So why do people want to grind for something that has next to no use?

Perhaps they want to money to buy the ship they want. I'm quite happy taking my pick from crashed ships, with the bonus of getting spare parts for those black hole jumps and making spare cash. I've got 97m at the moment but it's still not enough. I saw a 46 slotter I liked (got a 48 slotter) but it was 140m.

OuterLimits

I agree with the posters talking about difficulty. I do wish the game was more challenging at times. It definitely feels like the game is constantly holding your hand. Heck, even messages about basic gameplay continue hours after the beginning. Yes game, I know I should hit square to land.

Perhaps a good compromise would be keeping the first galaxy as is, but making the following ones much more challenging. Granted, this probably will of course never happen. Or I realise Sean said things would get crazier and more difficult the closer you get to the center. Obviously that was left on the cutting room floor, along with other features unfortunately.

Reading DukeLongfellow post above is rather depressing as it emphasizes how much potential the game had to be truly great. Such a bummer. The portals and observatories in the game are constant reminders of what could have been.

Yeah the game should have been designed very differently
After the game picks a very friendly planet for you, there should be no handholding after that. The extreme planets and planets with aggressive animals/sentinels are way too easy to deal with. The wanted level itself is, you pretty much have to intentionally increase the level.

But even more important is that they should have forced you to explore as many planets as possible, at least until you gathered enough tech and resources to really start your journey to the Atlas or center.

You can get pretty much everything in your starter system (apart from the stuff they artificially lock you out on obviously) unless it's just a single planet system.

The only stuff you won't find in every star system are the rare elements and you barely need them. In fact, it was easier to just buy the ones you do.
Things should be much more scattered around, I already had almost all blueprints after my second star systems. After that half of the stuff you can find on planets becomes useless to you.

Fess

No judgment to how others want to play the game, but I try to just play the game the way that Hello intended me to play it. I'm in no rush to put it down, and without additional objectives most people who max out their stats will get bored and drop it. I'd rather just keep playing slowly and enjoy the improvements as they come.
Yup that's how I play it too, I'm having tons of fun just exploring the planets, identifying/naming the animals and grinding for smaller upgrades, I'm in no hurry to get to the center of the universe or max out my gear.
4 solar system visited, 60+ hours played.

magawolaz

After the 2014 VGX trailer, IIRC Sean said in an interview , that going through a portal resulted losing your ship, or something like that. My guess is that they saw early on that this was not working (gameplay wise) and they replaced them with the black holes.

Why are they still in the game? i don't know.
idk, I mean, you could always spawn your ship with a bypass chip at outposts.

What I believe happened is they couldn't find a way to store (or load quickly) the assets of another world for a seamless transition - and 30+ seconds loading time ala wormhole seemed a bit silly for a "door".

ITLwxHc.gif

A real shame, because damn if it isn't a cool concept.

OuterLimits

Yeah the game should have been designed very differently
After the game picks a very friendly planet for you, there should be no handholding after that. The extreme planets and planets with aggressive animals/sentinels are way too easy to deal with. The wanted level itself is, you pretty much have to intentionally increase the level.

But even more important is that they should have forced you to explore as many planets as possible, at least until you gathered enough tech and resources to really start your journey to the Atlas or center.

You can get pretty much everything in your starter system (apart from the stuff they artificially lock you out on obviously) unless it's just a single planet system.

The only stuff you won't find in every star system are the rare elements and you barely need them. In fact, it was easier to just buy the ones you do.
Things should be much more scattered around, I already had almost all blueprints after my second star systems. After that half of the stuff you can find on planets becomes useless to you.

Indeed. The pacing in the game is terrible. When first playing, you have no idea how many blueprints exist, so it's not surprising many had quickly learned most of them before leaving the first solar system.

When I restarted the game I decided to limit myself to only learning a blueprint or two on each planet visited. I also limit myself to only visiting a couple facilities and one crashed ship by the transmission tower. If I stumble on a crashed ship while blindly moving around the planet I will check it out though.

Having so many structures on each planet is a bit much. Perhaps they could have used the space stations to help pinpoint buildings on planets in the system or something. They still could have had the simple save areas with the floating trading bots appear frequently on planets to help players, but limit the amount of other buildings. Having NPCs even giving out simple quests would go a long way to adding much needed content.

The foundation of the game is very good in my opinion but it feels very unfinished. The planets are beautiful to look at, but there is really nothing unique for the player to discover besides some animals. Even those are repetitive. You always know you will soon run into an alien structure you have seen countless times on other planets.

Number45

Yeah, the game is way too easy and much of this comes from the way too generous shielding. The thing is if they want to make the game super accessible then the game is plenty big enough to have its cake and eat it too.

Minecraft has sandbox and survival modes. You could do a similar thing, you could even do it in game (like choosing a path). There is far too much pandering to the lowest common denominator - but the fact is even the lowest common denominator doesn't stay that way for ever; surely it's the most basic element of gaming 101 that the challenge increases as you play.

As for the fuel. Well the fact that you can craft fuel cells and unstable plasma etc seems to suggest that crafting for fuel was considered but like so many aspects of the game, jettisoned in the rush to release. Same for shielding shards etc. As you point out though, it's almost just a matter of tweaks and balances to make most of this stuff work.
I don't see why they don't make extreme conditions actually extreme. On a planet with aggressive/frenzied sentinels for example they should reduce numbers but make those encounters legitimately tough... and alter rewards accordingly. Same for extreme conditions, make it so you can't survive more than a certain amount of time without the proper protection or using shelter properly.

EDIT: and if you don't want to deal with those extreme conditions... just lift off again.

Raist

Banned
I also thought about ways of bumping up the difficulty at some point (like not having your personal shield protect you from the environment, just physical damagage) but I think the problem is that it would still be very inconsequential in the end.

Because OK, you die, lose your inventory, and can retrieve it. If you die again, it's lost.
But then... so what?

The system is very Souls-like, but in souls game you have to go towards a defined end point so you will lose a bunch of "progress", and losing a big stack of souls is a pain too, since it takes some time to accumulate, and some of the faster ways to get them are unique events (bosses).

In NMS, even if you lose a bunch of resources, they're everywhere. And there is no "progress" to lose either. So it seems quite tricky to design ways to make the game feel more "difficult" considering what the core principles of it are. I guess one option would be permadeath, but considering the scale of the game that might be a bit... extreme :p

What I'd definitely like to see is a "pro" flying mode, which would essentially be like the low flight mode, and get rid of or seriously tone down the auto-aim.

Crispy

I think they're using bullish in the financial sense – when the stock traders are feeling positive about the future of the market, they're considered bullish, and when they're feeling pessimistic they're considered bearish. Looking at the Oxford dictionary, there's a British use of the word meaning "aggressively confident", so that may be why Eurogamer is using it. Yoshida, despite his diss of Sean's marketing technique, was positive about the game and the future of it, so I think 'bullish' is a fair assessment of that.

Thanks! That makes sense. I think a lot of people could misinterpret the use of the word though, especially non-native speakers.

Shaneus

Did I say I finally got my stackable vortex cube?!? And I just made another one for my ship, so I can carry 200 of the suckers. Woo!

I'd like to see your starship play more of a role instead of being a glorified taxi. It's basically just your mode of transport. There's absolutely no threat while flying around a planet as you simply cannot hit anything, there aren't any flying creatures that attack you from what I've seen and pirates don't seem to visit planets at all. The only threat is the very occasional pirate that may scan you in space but even with only a couple of upgrades they are not a threat at all.

I'd like to see more content in space for that matter. The distress beacons are cool but I've only witnessed a handful of them and they were all over rather quickly. Would be good to be able to accept missions from the space station similar to what you can do in Freelancer by taking on jobs from the bar. I actually don't mind the combat in NMS. It's simple but feels great IMO.

Number45

Hoping to be able to get some stacks going before the patch launches. I don't actually *need* money right now... but it's nice to have a few
hundred
million in reserve just in case.

Minamu

What I found weird is how there are SO many buildings on every planets, and sentient beings all over, and yet, everything is undiscovered. You're exploring undiscovered worlds and yet everywhere you go, there are super-intelligent androids etc, not to mention flying drones. You're never ever the first person, anywhere. Makes sense from a gameplay perspective of course, but not in any other way.

What I found weird is how there are SO many buildings on every planets, and sentient beings all over, and yet, everything is undiscovered. You're exploring undiscovered worlds and yet everywhere you go, there are super-intelligent androids etc, not to mention flying drones. You're never ever the first person, anywhere. Makes sense from a gameplay perspective of course, but not in any other way.

I guess we don't know what <the player> is; perhaps the game doesn't consider the races to be discoverers, in the same way that Western history might credit Columbus with 'discovering' the New World.

That, or the social discovery mechanic is detached from any in-universe lore. I have wondered who exactly would be providing the Units you receive for naming/uploading, and for what purpose...

vix

For me, the one thing that kind of bugs me the most is the stackable issue. I feel like everything should be stackable. Just put limits on it like elements have. How annoying was it to do the atlas path and have to lug around the stones and waste slots for them. To me, it just doesn't make sense to not have stuff stack. Why can't I make a bunch of bypass chips at once? And so on and so forth.

Maybe when the freighter update hits, maybe that will be a storage system, who knows.

Minamu

I guess we don't know what <the player> is; perhaps the game doesn't consider the races to be discoverers, in the same way that Western history might credit Columbus with 'discovering' the New World.

That, or the social discovery mechanic is detached from any in-universe lore. I have wondered who exactly would be providing the Units you receive for naming/uploading, and for what purpose...
So we never find out? My guess is they haven't rally finished that part or never considered it from a design perspective, given the game's overall state of development.

I was under the impression that there is lore connections for the units and animals etc, such as the Atlas thingie I haven't fully explored. I mean, there's lots of talk of simulations etc, I assumed it would be confirmed in one way or another that the universe isn't realy and only exist on a game disc somewhere, aka irl.

I also thought about ways of bumping up the difficulty at some point (like not having your personal shield protect you from the environment, just physical damagage) but I think the problem is that it would still be very inconsequential in the end.

Because OK, you die, lose your inventory, and can retrieve it. If you die again, it's lost.
But then... so what?
That's a key problem. Having a grave is just nonsense. What's the point of dying? If you really did lose everything and died more often, there would actually be a survival element to the game.
But I'm not in the "lies" camp or the "ran out of time/money" camp; I'm in the "got so caught up in the technology that they never actually developed a game to pair with it."
This is basically my view. It would have been like that for most people, even with the things that aren't there. And what things are missing are terribly overhyped and trivial. What would've happened if space battles between massive factions were common place, and you chose sides only to get a message lowering and highering your standing with each faction...? That isn't curing any boredom.

Anyway. After nearly 4 weeks of playing everyday, I got my first crash. And it was in a cave...? Not sure what was taxing the PS4 so much? It just can't like me farming gold :D

Handy Fake

That's a key problem. Having a grave is just nonsense. What's the point of dying? If you really did lose everything and died more often, there would actually be a survival element to the game.This is basically my view. It would have been like that for most people, even with the things that aren't there. And what things are missing are terribly overhyped and trivial. What would've happened if space battles between massive factions were common place, and you chose sides only to get a message lowering and highering your standing with each faction...? That isn't curing any boredom.

Anyway. After nearly 4 weeks of playing everyday, I got my first crash. And it was in a cave...? Not sure what was taxing the PS4 so much? It just can't like me farming gold :D

Instead they should put a crashed ship marker where your grave is and have your inventory in containers. So it another player can find your downed ship and cargo if they use the scanning device in the stations...

Instead they should put a crashed ship marker where your grave is and have your inventory in containers. So it another player can find your downed ship and cargo if they use the scanning device in the stations...

this would have been really cool to find ships with inventory

I have yet to find a planet that is marked 'Discovered by' tho I feel so alone

Raist

Banned
That's a key problem. Having a grave is just nonsense. What's the point of dying? If you really did lose everything and died more often, there would actually be a survival element to the game.This is basically my view. It would have been like that for most people, even with the things that aren't there. And what things are missing are terribly overhyped and trivial. What would've happened if space battles between massive factions were common place, and you chose sides only to get a message lowering and highering your standing with each faction...? That isn't curing any boredom.

But that's precisely what I explained in the rest of my post. It really wouldn't change much, unless they completely change several of the game's fundamental aspects.

Top Bottom