• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

So what's the word on the new patch? Anything beyond bug fixes?

I have yet to find a planet that is marked 'Discovered by' tho I feel so alone

Have you started the Atlas Path? I didn't see anyone's presence until I started the Path. The game seems to funnel people through the same star paths. I've seen four different people's discoveries.

It's been kind of annoying to me; almost every system I go to has been discovered by the same person. They never rename the planets. Just discover and move on. So I just skip those systems now.

So what's the word on the new patch? Anything beyond bug fixes?

Have you started the Atlas Path? I didn't see anyone's presence until I started the Path. The game seems to funnel people through the same star paths. I've seen four different people's discoveries.

It's been kind of annoying to me; almost every system I go to has been discovered by the same person. They never rename the planets. Just discover and move on. So I just skip those systems now.

I have not renamed anything but a few tests at first I just do not bother renaming
so my path would look just as you said

nope did the Atlas Path kinda late finished it really fast did not see any discoveries it always says by me and I tend to read the points I warp to they always read Undiscovered before I warp to them

I've found two so far in my travels. They weren't renamed and the player didn't claim the galaxy so I did. Both were by the same player.

"Search for discoveries" on the galactic map.

I just want to reach the center so I thought if I am getting close everyone must be funneled through the same final systems

I know you can't see other players but does that also mean you can't see their ships?

Number45

The ship I'm in isn't my favourite design of those I've seen (I quite like the one that's similar to the Klingon bird of prey) but it's 48 slot and it's manoeuvrability is just amazing near ground level. I've also finally kitted it out with shields and some cannon upgrades and managed to fend off an attack of 5 ships. ^_^

I need to find a planet with gravitino balls both because I need the balls, and because I need a couple of dimensional matrix for the last couple of ship upgrades which I think I can get from the dog sentries?

The game also saw fit to give me stackable vortex cubes and neutrino modules before the patch hits, which is nice. I guess as long as I retain one in my inventory (and they're always stacked) then I should retain the ability to stack those?

But that's precisely what I explained in the rest of my post. It really wouldn't change much, unless they completely change several of the game's fundamental aspects.

A mod could do it easily. If it was made harder to mine resources, then losing those resources would have a significant impact.

For example. Mining one of those large plutonium crystals gives you x100. Yet it takes just 2% of the mining beam's power. That's x5000 plutonium from one charge of just x67. So imagine if you could only get x1 from that crystal. A single charge would give you x50 plutonium. There is even a form of this mechanic in the game, where gold crystals only give you x45, so it's really just a change of values. Even the use of the melee would be brought into more effect. And what if that also damaged you in the process? You'd have your power source (or even just a key component of it) but be weakened getting it, then have the choice of whether or not you'd want to use it fixing your defenses (by mining the required resources). And of course, all this would greatly impact on trading, and you could just buy what you wanted without the cost of mining it.

The only real change in all of that is a piece of code that tells the game to take damage when using the melee. The rest is just changing a value from 100 to 1. (or whatever value is a nice balance...or 0.5...because I'm evil :D)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm a big fan of the game, and it definitely feels unfinished. But I'm not in the "lies" camp or the "ran out of time/money" camp; I'm in the "got so caught up in the technology that they never actually developed a game to pair with it." Everything feels tacked on to the awesome tech demo that is exploring a planet, jumping in your ship, flying off the planet into outer fucking space, flying to ANOTHER GODDAMN PLANET, and repeat forever. That was the narrative that Sean was constantly pushing, and when people began to reasonably assert "that doesn't actually sound like a game," they tacked on some survival mechanics and a series of "missions" that don't feel like they belong in the universe Sean was describing. Because his goal was the tech, not the game on top of it. Part of the reason I enjoy the game so much is because I don't give a fiddler's damn about the missions either; I love the tech demo that lets me fly from planet to planet in a seemingly infinite universe.
This is my view too. I feel the "what do you do?" people ruined it. Hello Games coulda turned it into a better exploration demo. Without all the tacked on stuff, they could have used their time on the exploration. I'd have loved more plant and animal variety. They shoulda ditched NPCs all together and have occasional aged broken ruins on some planets. Some a single building, and others that look like entire cities. I'd have loved the feeling of flying through a galaxy devoid of current civilization. But I'm obviously in the minority.

On the other hand, the way they tacked on "things to do" was really half assed.

This is coming from someone who loves the game.

"Search for discoveries" on the galactic map.

How exactly does this work though? Does it only find a sample of discoveries or does it find every single discovered system in that particular region you are in?

The reason I ask is because a week or so ago I asked the question of what is the best/easiest way to go about finding my previously discovered systems. I wanted to take screenshots of the system information panels in the galactic map so I could have a record of every single system I visit.

I've spent the better part of today doing just that and I've managed to find all but one of my previously discovered systems either through sheer dumb luck or by searching for discoveries in the galatic map. The problem is I can't for the life of me find my 4th system. My 3rd and 5th system are in the same region and I'm almost certain that the 4th should be somewhere there too but I simply cannot find it and searching for discoveries will not find it. In fact it keeps showing me the same handful of systems which are of no use to me.

This is my view too. I feel the "what do you do?" people ruined it. Hello Games coulda turned it into a better exploration demo. Without all the tacked on stuff, they could have used their time on the exploration. I'd have loved more plant and animal variety. They shoulda ditched NPCs all together and have occasional aged broken ruins on some planets. Some a single building, and others that look like entire cities. I'd have loved the feeling of flying through a galaxy devoid of current civilization. But I'm obviously in the minority.

On the other hand, the way they tacked on "things to do" was really half assed.

This is coming from someone who loves the game.

Same feeling here. I adore the exploration in this game. All the other stuff doesn't really add much for me, which is fine—I was excited for this game solely because of the exploration aspect. Although, the crafting system is kinda nice, but I'd really like to see more upgrades to be able to make.

It would be nice if there were at least some systems that didn't have any other intelligent life.

Raist

Banned
How exactly does this work though? Does it only find a sample of discoveries or does it find every single discovered system in that particular region you are in?

The reason I ask is because a week or so ago I asked the question of what is the best/easiest way to go about finding my previously discovered systems. I wanted to take screenshots of the system information panels in the galactic map so I could have a record of every single system I visit.

I've spent the better part of today doing just that and I've managed to find all but one of my previously discovered systems either through sheer dumb luck or by searching for discoveries in the galatic map. The problem is I can't for the life of me find my 4th system. My 3rd and 5th system are in the same region and I'm almost certain that the 4th should be somewhere there too but I simply cannot find it and searching for discoveries will not find it. In fact it keeps showing me the same handful of systems which are of no use to me.

Pretty sure it finds them all. Sometimes it just takes a while

mulac

Going after the Platinum now...I have 10 Journey Milestones in all except the ships destroyed, all species and survival trophies.

Currently been wandering around a (small??) Moon the last 1.5hrs to get my 100% discovered up to "6" - searching for that last species before I can move on.

The moon is relatively flat but has heavy rain + loads of underwater caverns but I've discovered (I think) all the water based life.

So now I'm resolved to just wandering around heading to each ? marker then saving, reloading repeat in the hopes that elusive last species appears.

The game is fantastic; i'm super happy with my $80 AUD spent on it but goddamn this searching for species is not made easy or even fair it seems like.

Am I missing something obvious or just doomed to rinse and repeat for the next 5 planets to get this trophy? I do have that image that "helps" figure out where to look but given the past 30min I've been swimming around underground caverns with my visor on max zoon and seen diddly i'm beginning to suspect...

Just release a patch to make discovery easier dammit!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm absolutely certain now that the 4th galaxy is much less colourful and far more dreary compared to the others. I'm fast tracking to 5 in the hope of a better galaxy while occasionally having a look around in case I happen upon a decent planet or two. I just hope it doesn't get progressively darker as you go through the galaxies. A good 70% of the planets you see from space are 'grey'. Without a way of returning (yet), I may end up starting again.

No more item stacking. Holy shit. One of the few quality of life improvements in the game is now gone, though I guess it was always unofficial and potentially on the chopping block.

Three patches from now: "we took out the run/melee/jetpack combo, enjoy crawling about all our massive planets"

No more item stacking. Holy shit. One of the few quality of life improvements in the game is now gone, though I guess it was always unofficial and potentially on the chopping block.

Three patches from now: "we took out the run/melee/jetpack combo, enjoy crawling about all our massive planets"
I thought that was actually official? Don't take that away from me :(

I never did the stacking thing (I never even had the opportunity), and don't really understand what it's for? I get that you end up with different slots with the same element, so you can merge them into the same slot. And that you can drop and drag to refuel things...but is that it?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Stacking gone (unless you already had a stack on the go) KEEP THOSE STACKS.
You can no longer just move the cursor across to dismantle, you have to press on each one.
Framerate in the menu isn't great now but in the game it's the same.
Overall cleaner IQ in the game. Looks like better AA has been used.
I've seen a couple of new animal designs and plants but that could just be placebo

legacyzero

Banned
You can no longer just move the cursor across to dismantle, you have to press on each one.
I've seen a couple of new animal designs but that could just be placebo
Sean did say that a temporal AA was close. Maybe That finally came?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sean did say that a temporal AA was close. Maybe That finally came?

I don't know but it definitely looks cleaner and the generation seems to have improved too. The only oddity is the menu which appears to be a little further away and judders (on my PS4 it does anyway).

Now back to the game to get to my 5th galaxy. The 4th is definitely darker and bleaker. I don't like it. :(

edit:

You land in space stations quicker now.
Space stations are far busier and the turnover is faster.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Well shit.

I've managed to do what some of you have done and lose the Atlas path. Long story short, I lost atlas stones. (I didn't sell them I promise) After buying some of them back and getting the rest at the leftover Atlas interfaces I can no longer find a system with an Atlas interface. I did come across one of the anomalies but Nada didn't offer me the path of the Atlas.

Am I f'd or can I still stumble across an Atlas interface?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well shit.

I've managed to do what some of you have done and lose the Atlas path. Long story short, I lost atlas stones. (I didn't sell them I promise) After buying some of them back and getting the rest at the leftover Atlas interfaces I can no longer find a system with an Atlas interface. I did come across one of the anomalies but Nada didn't offer me the path of the Atlas.

Am I f'd or can I still stumble across an Atlas interface?

Yes, just knock about in a system for a while and the Atlas will appear again. If it doesn't just rinse and repeat. They're quite common.

EndMerit

Finally reached the center.
Just before making the last warp my game crashed. After restarting and actually doing the last warp
and then waking up in the new galaxy, Sentinel drone destroyed my shields and almost killed me while I was stuck in the in-game cutscene
, and if those two things don't sum up all the issues with this game then I don't know what does.

I've seen a couple of new animal designs and plants but that could just be placebo

Well shit, I just used my Dynamic Resonator stack. At least I still have stacks of Carite Sheets, Microdensity Fabric and Gravitino Balls.

Man, they actually made user interface even worse... I think I'm done with this game for a long, long time.

belvedere

Junior Butler
then you either finished the Atlas path, or your game is glitched somehow.

The "last" Atlas interface asked me to handover my stones, I forgot the other dialog questions. I ended up just cancelling the dialog and continuing on as I didn't have all 10 stones yet.

I didn't think this mattered much because after I continued on I found more Atlas interfaces.

Naturally now that I have all 10 stones back I can't find another one.

I'm not seeing any improvements to image quality but the framerate drop punched me in the face. It's horrible now. All I'm doing is moving the camera in this space station's parking garage.

Fess

Interesting.
This could also be placebo. Remember the talk that there were no beaches? (seen in the trailer)
S6UrYlF.jpg

Slay

The "last" Atlas interface asked me to handover my stones, I forgot the other dialog questions. I ended up just cancelling the dialog and continuing on
as I didn't have all 10 stones yet.
Then you've finished the atlas path, you can also confirm that by opening the galactic map, if you can see black hole systems, then you've definitely finished the Atlas path.

Raist

Banned
Interesting.
This could also be placebo. Remember the talk that there were no beaches? (seen in the trailer)
S6UrYlF.jpg

Seen that ages ago.

The "last" Atlas interface asked me to handover my stones, I forgot the other dialog questions. I ended up just cancelling the dialog and continuing on as I didn't have all 10 stones yet.

I didn't think this mattered much because after I continued on I found more Atlas interfaces.

Naturally now that I have all 10 stones back I can't find another one.

Ah. Well it's basically too late. You only have one chance to finish the Atlas Path.

I'm going to be keeping my game on PS4 with version 1.05 until substantial content is released.

I can dupe and stack to my hearts content and explore at my leisure not worrying about making warp cores since I just dupe them.

Sitting on $100 million units and my suit, ship and multi tool are all maxed for slots and upgrades.

The addition of a better AA solution is really the only patched item I care about but it's not worth giving up these tricks. Not to mention the UI bugs that seem to have come about with this newest patch.

I thought that was actually official? Don't take that away from me :(

I never did the stacking thing (I never even had the opportunity), and don't really understand what it's for? I get that you end up with different slots with the same element, so you can merge them into the same slot. And that you can drop and drag to refuel things...but is that it?

It's basically to save inventory space. Before, if you landed on one of those planets with vortex cubes or gravitano balls or whatever, you could collect 100 of them and only use up one inventory slot. Each run you did collecting those items could bag you quite a lot of money. Now, if you don't already have a stack going, you can collect maybe 15-20 tops before you have to find a trade terminal to sell.

It also makes grinding ships that much harder because you'll be less inclined to save components since they take up more room. Every time you find a crashed ship, you'll likely need at least a few components. Before, you could just stack them and be assured you'd be able to repair whatever. Now, you'll have to go get the materials if you don't have the ones on hand to build whatever you need.

I guess this is all fine if you play the game the way Hello Games seems to want you to play: scavenge only what you need, just go sightseeing. But people who want to play that way already can, and people who want to fly the way I did, collecting materials and trying to be prepared for any situation (and also selling s ton of valuables along the way) just got a bit of a roadblock. It also kind of contradicts what Hello Games was saying earlier about easing the inventory crunch in late-game, unless they're working on a more permanent solution that isn't so haphazard to start using.

Damn it, every patch erases my galaxy waypoint(s). I'm warping towards the center but I'm keeping my starting planet marked. Just feels right and if they suddenly would release content like new blueprints etc. I could be relativly quick in a region where star systems and planets have my ID tag to guide me to a specific resource.

Found it again, based on some info I had due to screenshots. Stop. Erasing. It.

Regarding changes: I had beaches before the patch and some of my space stations had an annoyingly fast turnover. I feel like the game looks slightly cleaner but would have to compare with screenshots. Didn't notice a framerate change.
Any changes in animals etc. would make no sense imo. Same with density of outposts and so on. That stuff is in the seed and they can't change it without messing up someone's discoveries.

An actual change is that you can no longer hold square and move the stick to upload discoveries.

I don't mind that they fixed the stacking glitch. Never used it but I'm also one of the people here that actively avoid any glitch or exploit. 20-30 cubes etc. near an outpost will still net you a ton of money. Although I stopped grinding anything anyway because there's no real point to gather millions of units (in a short time). I will also spend a ton on my next ship but as you basically don't need more than 25-30 slot ships I'm in no rush at all.

Does someone know if they fixed Extreme Survival (again)?

BouncyFrag

Any tips for finding Iridium? I'm having a hell of a time finding any in the system I am stuck in...
The large potato asteroids in a planets orbit can have them. The spuds are also good for nickel, copper, aluminum, and sometimess gold iirc.

Z3M0G

I went afk to tend to the baby and got ganked by creatures... died multiple times. Only corpse marker is right at my ship and it is empty. Reloaded oldest save and it is the same.

I think I'm done with this game...

Edit: thank you online save storage!

vix

I'm still going to personally champion every thing needs of be stackable until we get the freighters assuming they're going to even be used for storage.

I feel like I'm being forced to play the game the way they want me to play it and it's frustrating. I can't really be an explorer without storage space, same with being a trader. I can't be a hoarder like I want to be for blueprints down the line like I want to be since I still have a rather small ship.

Top Bottom