• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I finally built my science terminal last night, but when I went to the space station the Korvax science guy had peaced out. I...guess I'll have to go to a different system. You can't land inside NPC freighters unless you help them, right?

Size/height of animals is not really indicative of anything:
Bit hard to see but there's a second creature with those green stegosaurus things on the back behind the brown animal.
The thing is, the game tells me the stegosaurus one is supposed to be 5 m while the one in the foreground is listed as 8 m...even though it's obviously not. I think this the most obvious example as both are from the same "class of creatures".

Perhaps they are measuring the creature length from head to tail, instead of vertically from the ground.

I'm getting a lot of 'candyfloss' coloured cave systems and I'm not keen. Can we have at least a few caves that are dark so I can use this damned torch? I hope it gets adjusted again because I really don't like the 'negative photo' look at the moment.

Yeah the glowy rave look of the caves always felt overdone. Like a little bit of fluorescent stuff is cool, but it is too repetitive. I got a different impression about what the cave systems would be from Sean. I thought they'd be these deep, dark networks but most are fairly shallow. and never really dark. And the only creatures I've seen in there are the ubiquitous crabs and those bouncy blob things. It'd be cool to have some Boss-level creatures down there that you could take on for big rewards.

5taquitos

Yeah the glowy rave look of the caves always felt overdone. Like a little bit of fluorescent stuff is cool, but it is too repetitive. I got a different impression about what the cave systems would be from Sean. I thought they'd be these deep, dark networks but most are fairly shallow. and never really dark. And the only creatures I've seen in there are the ubiquitous crabs and those bouncy blob things. It'd be cool to have some Boss-level creatures down there that you could take on for big rewards.

The whole cave system definitely needs another pass. There's a lot of potential there for encouraging exploring, but absolutely nothing is done with them.

Has anyone made a post outlining all of the changes not addressed in the patch notes?

I noticed that I can't mine Titanium without an Advanced Mining Laser now. How do I get that upgrade? I really didn't want to have to upgrade my multi-tool again as I liked the set up I've got, but it's either delete an upgrade or start the process over again.

Has anyone made a post outlining all of the changes not addressed in the patch notes?

I noticed that I can't mine Titanium without an Advanced Mining Laser now. How do I get that upgrade? I really didn't want to have to upgrade my multi-tool again as I liked the set up I've got, but it's either delete an upgrade or start the process over again.

You need to build a weapon research terminal and hire a Vy'keen weapon engineer. After performing a task for him, he gives you the blueprint for the advanced mining laser.

Can you place a waypoint marker from the start or is that a blueprint? You start with three pieces of tech, but do any of them give you a marker that you can follow?

After playing around with the Life Support on different planets, it certainly looks like the size of the planet effect the system. Although, there are only 3 planets in the system and one moon. But the moon uses 2 arrows while walking and my first planet uses one. And it "seems" easier to jet pack around on the moon, but that might just be me getting a feel back for using it.

So you never know it could be gravity. A 1G planet could use very little while walking or running. But a bigger or smaller planet could use more power to compensate.

If I go into space at a certain distance I can compare the size of planets, but I just know I'll be attacked :D

Survival needs a waypoint system, especially for caves. Burning through your life support trying to find the entrance is brutal. Obviously less important once you get the grenade launcher but you could still get screwed with no way to replenish ammo.

Survival needs a waypoint system, especially for caves. Burning through your life support trying to find the entrance is brutal. Obviously less important once you get the grenade launcher but you could still get screwed with no way to replenish ammo.

But you can build waypoint markers now... or am I misunderstanding what you're wanting?

But you can build waypoint markers now... or am I misunderstanding what you're wanting?

I saw something about beacons, was going to include that in my post, unless that's something else altogether haha. Are they cheap enough to be practical to put down several in a complex cave system?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sean: Please allow us to alter the ships we've bought, and scatter each new piece throughout the galaxy in special containers. Then give us a blueprint for the scanner to help find those containers ... Make it work on 'beeps'!

I'd love this, thanks.

I saw something about beacons, was going to include that in my post, unless that's something else altogether haha. Are they cheap enough to be practical to put down several in a complex cave system?

I don't know offhand, but I think all those new tech items you can build anywhere are fairly cheap. I've never used one, but I believe you can also set the color that they appear as on your radar. I don't know how well they'd work as breadcrumbs inside a cave, so you'll have to let us know. ;) You could always just carve arrows into the rock.

I'm getting a lot of 'candyfloss' coloured cave systems and I'm not keen. Can we have at least a few caves that are dark so I can use this damned torch? I hope it gets adjusted again because I really don't like the 'negative photo' look at the moment.

Same. There's way too much neon color

Cmagus

I don't know if my game is bugged or what but I've exhausted everything I can think of because I cannot return to my base. I keep getting this and I've warped several times and see no main missions that would unlock this anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

KFTznN6.png

somme

I'm wondering if one of the next updates with be a "Land & Sea" pack. We've already seen hints of a buggy.. I imagine there'll be a way to make underwater travel more fun than it is at present.

And yeah it'd be great to be able to customise your ship - and name it! :D

somme

I don't know if my game is bugged or what but I've exhausted everything I can think of because I cannot return to my base. I keep getting this and I've warped several times and see no main missions that would unlock this anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

How many times is "several times"?

Cmagus

How many times is "several times"?

I'm on my 5th warp now, working on 6. I mean if it's more then how many it kind of defeats the purpose if I have to warp an insane amount of times before I can return I'm just skipping stuff now to get back

How can I stop the game from telling me to redeem pre order bonus? The ship it wants to give me I had already redeemed back when the game came out and also used it before upgrading to my current ship.

It's acting as if I'd never redeemed it and by not accepting it it just keeps giving me a pop up every 20 sec.

5taquitos

How can I stop the game from telling me to redeem pre order bonus? The ship it wants to give me I had already redeemed back when the game came out and also used it before upgrading to my current ship.

It's acting as if I'd never redeemed it and by not accepting it it just keeps giving me a pop up every 20 sec.

Can you redeem it again and just not get into it?

somme

I'm on my 5th warp now, working on 6. I mean if it's more then how many it kind of defeats the purpose if I have to warp an insane amount of times before I can return I'm just skipping stuff now to get back

Five warps isn't very many to be honest. I think I've done over 200 so I never got a message like that.

I'm sure you don't have to warp as many as 200 times though. Maybe 10?

Are you saying you've teleported from the space station to your base before, and now it's not finding it?

I'm wondering if one of the next updates with be a "Land & Sea" pack. We've already seen hints of a buggy.. I imagine there'll be a way to make underwater travel more fun than it is at present.

And yeah it'd be great to be able to customise your ship - and name it! :D

Yeah I'd really like a mini-sub or at least get rid of the breathing requirement. Because it's really chill down there (though I'd like more fish), but I can't relax because my oxygen is constantly depleted.

On the ships, I'd just like them to fit the form better. A fighter ship shouldn't be able to hold as much cargo as one of the big ships, but it should be more maneuverable and faster as a tradeoff.

I think the neon cave stuff is just a symptom of the content in general. The same glowy bits seem to be in every cave in the galaxy. I quickly recognize every creature body type I come across, so even if they're different from each other they don't surprise me often. So we need more diversity of base objects that the proc gen can draw from. The animations need to be improved also...it takes some of the immersion and drama away when you see an animal kill another with a headbutt (even though it has claws) and then stand over them as its eating animation.

Cmagus

Five warps isn't very many to be honest. I think I've done over 200 so I never got a message like that.

I'm sure you don't have to warp as many as 200 times though. Maybe 10?

I don't know, I mean I started a new game when the new content came out because I wanted to experience it from scratch but man it just seems a bit ridiculous. I mean I'm finding people I wanna hire but I need to return to build stations for them and my inventory stuff is full. I'll warp a few more times I guess and see what happens.

Are you saying you've teleported from the space station to your base before, and now it's not finding it?
No I haven't been able to return to my base yet.

Allard

I don't know, I mean I started a new game when the new content came out because I wanted to experience it from scratch but man it just seems a bit ridiculous. I mean I'm finding people I wanna hire but I need to return to build stations for them and my inventory stuff is full. I'll warp a few more times I guess and see what happens.

No I haven't been able to return to my base yet.

I had the same message pop up and it went away when I finished the initial quest line that gives you all the blueprints needed to make your own warp cell and ending when you finish the quest that sends you to the first monolith to set you on the path of the atlas or explorer aimlessly, soon after I could warp back to my base.

Cmagus

I had the same message pop up and it went away when I finished the initial quest line that gives you all the blueprints needed to make your own warp cell and ending when you finish the quest that sends you to the first monolith to set you on the path of the atlas or explorer aimlessly, soon after I could warp back to my base.

I just got the atlas quest pop up after my last warp and it looks like it's rouchly10-12 warps in total till then so that may be my issue.

TyrantII

Anyone know of you can build landing pads to attract NPC traders?

How about a store eye droid? Marketplace access at your base?

Anyway to keep from having to run to the station to sell goods?

Anyone know of you can build landing pads to attract NPC traders?

How about a store eye droid? Marketplace access at your base?

Anyway to keep from having to run to the station to sell goods?

According to others in the Foundation thread, apparently yes you can build landing pads (multiple) after you unlock them, and they do attract NPC traders. Not sure if you can build a marketplace interface at your base.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The way they've balanced this game is fantastic. If you're a space explorer you've got the Freighters which are portable base stations, and then you've got your base stations which are suited to those who want to settle down and enjoy the planet for a while. You can now even venture out to the fringes of the galaxy and still just warp back to your very beginnings.

thumbs.png

Cmagus

So finding the atlas monolith solved my issue. I got the mission after a few warps and then it worked. Took about 10 warps so you guys were right, seems like such an odd way to do it though. The thing is this playthrough I wasn't following the atlas path and picking random planets which is probably why I didn't get the mission because once I got back on the atlas path I got it. Anyways thanks for the help.

Tigress

So I made the mistake of redeeming the pre order ship on my survival game before I made the warp drive. Am I screwed for learning how to make suspension fluid without paying for it now unless I want to restart (I'm doing so well now too)? Or did they ever fix that "feature"?

Inviusx

How long did it take you to find a habitable earth like planet to make your base on? Ive traveled to 6 star systems and every planet is either red/purple with a toxic atmosphere or brown/orange with a overheated atmosphere.

Of the 25 or so planets I've been on none of them have been habitable except for the starter planet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Q1: Which tech is more advance, Theta or Tau?

Q2: My ship's shields broke down during combat and I received a couple of hits. Unless I'm mistaken my ships should have more than three health points, correct? If so how can it recover?

Q3: I was under the impression that one of the features of the patch is stacking resources. Yet I'm unable to stack two Korvax cubes stored in my exhaust. Is there a trick or a am I missing something?

c0Zm1c

The larger fleets of starships dropping out of hyperspace looks so cool. I like that they don't all arrive at the same time too, with more catching up just a few seconds later. I hope future updates make them less static, and able to blast asteroids out of the way, instead of glitching through them.

Q1: Which tech is more advance, Theta or Tau? Theta

Q2: My ship's shields broke down during combat and I received a couple of hits. Unless I'm mistaken my ships should have more than three health points, correct? If so how can it recover? I think your "health" replenishes over time, but you must replenish the shield with Iron

Q3: I was under the impression that one of the features of the patch is stacking resources. Yet I'm unable to stack two Korvax cubes stored in my exhaust. Is there a trick or a am I missing something? You can only stack in your ship inventory, not in your suit

Loudninja

Looking around seems the update really put the game in a positive light again.

I am glad since I really do enjoy it,so yeah keep them updates coming.

The larger fleets of starships dropping out of hyperspace looks so cool. I like that they don't all arrive at the same time too, with more catching up just a few seconds later. I hope future updates make them less static, and able to blast asteroids out of the way, instead of glitching through them.

Those dudes need to look at that "turn your console off" thread though, they've got their engines fired up 24/7.

I've spent the last couple of days searching for a good planet to start my base and finally settled for a extreme cold planet. It's a beautiful place, with large deposits of precious metals and very long and deep canyons. Really like the feel of it.
A small tour:

https://youtu.be/6_BLahJiSFk

Looks cool, love the deep canyons and the snowy winds. I just moved my base to a more placid planet and already regretting it because I liked seeing lightning flash on the heat storm planet it used to be on. Also learned that you only get most of your resources back...had to go on an iron hunt to build back my base to the same level.

So now I need to find a science alien, but the one at this system's station has left. Is that the only place to find them? I guess I'll have to warp somewhere else.

GK_Gats

Looks cool, love the deep canyons and the snowy winds. I just moved my base to a more placid planet and already regretting it because I liked seeing lightning flash on the heat storm planet it used to be on. Also learned that you only get most of your resources back...had to go on an iron hunt to build back my base to the same level.

So now I need to find a science alien, but the one at this system's station has left. Is that the only place to find them? I guess I'll have to warp somewhere else.

You can only hire scientists in Korvax systems. I had to warp around 10 times before i could find one, seems like Vy'keen rule the part of the galaxy where i settled.

Top Bottom