• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

mokeyjoe

When you hold down your analyzer and you see a white light with a pulse like feature around it. Those are creatures. Its basically detecting there sound I guess.

I've chased some white dots to find nothing but crystals. I only bother looking for the red ones now. I mean unless the animal is invisible the white dots are pointing at something else , I'm sure.

BizzyBum

I'm sorry, but I had to resort to the Gek transmission grind for my 48 slot ship. Doing a crashed ship per transmission would take forever and could be a giant waste of time when the RNG gods could be dicks and give you five in a row that are a slot less and grinding Units is boring, too. I mean yeah, it's technically an exploit but it's still grinding nonetheless. Don't judge me!

Also, I found out a really cool trick if you want a nice looking ship. Once you get to 47 slots, go into a space station and wait around and see what ships come to dock. Apparently each system generates 10 ship designs randomly and only these ships can crash land on the planets. If you see a cool looking ship you can go to a planet and grind crashed ships until you find the one you're looking for and hopefully it's a 48 slotter.

magawolaz

This planet I'm on now has a lot of animals on screen, and I mean a lot.

(shitty PS4 capture) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IIcr5BHT0

(another angle)
wtV6vDv.jpg

Never seen so many before.

Has anyone had the bug where it says you've already learnt blueprints but they don't show up in the inventory?

Is there any workaround or fix for this?

This happened to me today with a Health Boost blueprint (I think that was the name, something about additional health points when you loose the shield, clicked too fast and removed the notification), but it seems other people have encountered this bug as well, like the blueprint is either bugged or its functionality was removed from the game but the description stayed.

BizzyBum

There's also a bug where your game can instantly CTD on certain multi-tool blueprint terminals that hang on the walls. Apparently it's linked to a certain blueprint. Hopefully they patch it soon because if so I want that damn blueprint. lol

DjRalford

This happened to me today with a Health Boost blueprint (I think that was the name, something about additional health points when you loose the shield, clicked too fast and removed the notification), but it seems other people have encountered this bug as well, like the blueprint is either bugged or its functionality was removed from the game but the description stayed.

I had a health one that said I had it from one of those blueprint holders, today I got the same one from a life form and it worked so it seems only the blueprint tubes are bugged

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm trapped in a combat situation where the remaining enemy ships are hours away. Guess I'll try to cruise towards the nearest planet and escape that way... eventually.

There's also a bug where your game can instantly CTD on certain multi-tool blueprint terminals that hang on the walls. Apparently it's linked to a certain blueprint. Hopefully they patch it soon because if so I want that damn blueprint. lol

yeah, I have this issue. It's a couple of theta shield recipes(think toxins and radiation, not sure). Game just crashes to desktop.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This 'one last creature missing but it won't spawn anywhere after two hour search' stuff is really making me mad.

And yeah, there is much more fauna after the latest patch

Minamu

Do you have to scan a planet to 100% for it to register for the scan trophy/ies? I've never gone out of my way to catch anything :/

Baalzebup

I've chased some white dots to find nothing but crystals. I only bother looking for the red ones now. I mean unless the animal is invisible the white dots are pointing at something else , I'm sure.

Nah, the white pulsing dots are lifeforms beyond the draw distance. When you see them, the dots gain color to indicate scanned / not scanned status. It is a feature to help you track down animals in hopes of catching them all. Definitely useful when tracking subterranean life, for example.

Crystals are resources, and show up when making a scan. The analyzer functions have nothing to do with resources.

Septimius

Remember Sean's claims that you could walk for days and days around the "actual planet-sized planets"?

Yeah, they take 6 hours to walk around. If we assume a 5km/h walking pace, it means this planet, which is typically big to my experience, has a circumference of 30 km. That's less than 1000th of earths 44,000 km circumference. Our own moon has 10,000. The two tiny moons og Mars are bigger. Djeeez.

Ill do some more testing cause you might be right and I might just be coming across creatures which I thought was the answer.

Every time I fly into an Anomaly ship, I can't help but think of MST3k, and assume Nada and Polo are trapped there being forced to watch bad movies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man.. didn't even mean to try 100%ing this radioactive planet but I'm down to 1 species. Proving a nightmare to find though. It's so ugly and hard to survive here, lol.

edit: got him

Does seem to be organized like

Land
Sky
Cave
Water

Lorcain

I discovered a nightmare creature last night that looked like its body was the top of a decaying mushroom, with lots of long multi-jointed spider legs sticking out below, and at the end of each leg were long spindly pincers. Its "face" was a crustacean mouth feeder attachment to the "front" of the mushroom. It was awful.

If you come across Nightmare Shroom Spider in your travels, that was my unfortunate discovery. Thankfully creature AI doesn't seem to be that advanced, because I can't imagine being chased by a swarm of those.

mokeyjoe

Remember Sean's claims that you could walk for days and days around the "actual planet-sized planets"?

Yeah, they take 6 hours to walk around. If we assume a 5km/h walking pace, it means this planet, which is typically big to my experience, has a circumference of 30 km. That's less than 1000th of earths 44,000 km circumference. Our own moon has 10,000. The two tiny moons og Mars are bigger. Djeeez.

Did you try it? It should be pretty simple to roughly gauge the size of any planet. If you scan it from space and find a waypoint, then land on the opposite side of the planet, look at the waypoint and see how long it would take to get there on foot.

Given the procedural nature of the game they could theoretically make indefinitely huge planets. But what's the point?

Nah, the white pulsing dots are lifeforms beyond the draw distance. When you see them, the dots gain color to indicate scanned / not scanned status. It is a feature to help you track down animals in hopes of catching them all. Definitely useful when tracking subterranean life, for example.

Wait...they DO change color? This was exactly what I was hoping for them to add to the game in my original post and it's already in the game? I've only ever seen them as white dots that fade when I get into the general area of them. Sometimes I don't really find any life when I get there (or it takes a few seconds for the animals to populate around me). Can anyone else confirm that these distant dots actually show colors other than white?

Septimius

Did you try it? It should be pretty simple to roughly gauge the size of any planet. If you scan it from space and find a waypoint, then land on the opposite side of the planet, look at the waypoint and see how long it would take to get there on foot.

Given the procedural nature of the game they could theoretically make indefinitely huge planets. But what's the point?

That's what I did. It had a 6 hour circumference. At this point it's just another lie.

mishakoz

That's what I did. It had a 6 hour circumference. At this point it's just another lie.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious from the trailers they weren't actually "planet sized". It's weird that he claimed they were.

When you enter atmosphere it only takes a few seconds to reach ground level. On a planet sized planet it would take a few minutes.

cobell

Took me a while to find copper as well. Copper is found on the floating islands in certain planets. She shape is like an obelisk and is floating right above the surface.

You can get copper easily in space. Shoot the large, voxelized asteroids i.e. the ones that break apart in sections like the ore deposits on planets.

I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but each system I visit has the same ship models. The tiny insect leg pods, the ones that look like two tubes strapped together and the tiny compact diamond looking ones.
Maybe I'll jump through a couple black holes and see if that changes it up.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, it was pretty obvious from the trailers they weren't actually "planet sized". It's weird that he claimed they were.

When you enter atmosphere it only takes a few seconds to reach ground level. On a planet sized planet it would take a few minutes.

It takes long enough to get places as it is. The planets are plenty big enough thanks :p

bosseye

Have I hit a blueprint bug? I keep getting blueprints which say 'already known' but I don't because they're not in my list of technology to build. Just got a pulse engine tau upgrade, which was definitely new, but claimed I knew it and it isnt anywhere to be built.

Annoying.

Muzicfreq

Banned
possibly the most irritating thing in this game to me
IS THE AMOUNT OF FUCKING FUEL IT TAKES FOR THE LAUNCH THRUSTERS!
SrC0Jmi.gif

AND THE LANDING!!! ARGH!

The size of the planets means nothing when there's hundreds of drop pods, crashed ships, beacons, outposts etc. all within a football field of each other. Planets could be 30km circumference or 3000km circumference.

Regarding some of the negativity in here: yes, the progression system has major issues when there are buildings everywhere and blueprints given out like candy. There should only be a few POIs per planet, and blueprints should be locked behind a risk-reward system. And the Sentinels should be much tougher on worlds with high-value resources. But it seems like many people saying they are bored are ones who also used exploits, extensive farming, and minmax techniques to quickly max out their equipment. I think some people, perhaps subconsciously, are treating NMS like a MMO. As if there's a deep, deep upgrade system and endless tech trees. There is not. So if you rush to get to the end of that tree, you've taken out one of the gameplay pillars from your experience.

NMS works best when the different gameplay pillars are sampled in balance. A bit of exploration, a bit of collecting, a bit of upgrading, a bit of trading, a bit of combat. Yes, the current upgrade system provides no challenge or tension, but pushing outside the natural balance of the game to grind or exploit bugs only does your own experience harm over the long-term. How many of you who have approached the game as a spreadsheet will be excited to come back in six months when new X, Y, and Z features are put into the game? Will you just come back and grind or exploit some more to get that new huge freighter quickly? If that's fun for you, then more power to you, but I don't think the upgrade system is supposed to be the focus of the game.

While I think Hello wants to change this, the game is currently not deep in mechanics in any of its pillars, and it's easy to look behind the curtain if you push too hard. The game as it stands right now is designed like a road trip: look at the scenery passing by as you drive, stop for gas, stop at a diner, and get back out on the road and wonder what's over the next hill. Enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about how long it'll be until you reach your destination.

I'm skeptical of your inference. I was on a tiny, tiny moon last night (I could practically see its curvature when flying) and had to use pulse boost while flying in the atmosphere for the parent planet to even move in the sky. You should try flying around that planet you're talking about at normal minimum cruise speed.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone had the bug where it says you've already learnt blueprints but they don't show up in the inventory?

There's also a bug where your game can instantly CTD on certain multi-tool blueprint terminals that hang on the walls. Apparently it's linked to a certain blueprint.

I had both of these multiple times before the latest patch. The blueprint I can't get is a Theta level cold protection shield, which is a bit of a downer. The multi-tool upgrade thing was the first time the game ever crashed on me.

Haven't had the multi-tool terminal crash since 1.04, but I haven't came across the shield upgrade again yet.

100% to 70% in one launch

It's 25% for each time you launch, unless you are launching from a landing pad (then it's free). But you don't have it depleting at all during flight, so you could fly around the entire planet on 25% of your fuel, so it's a fair compromise. I'd rather it be that than have it constantly dwindling down with the accompanying warning notifications.

E92 M3

I agree, but why would Sean, less than four months ago, say "You could walk for days and days". It just doesn't make sense to lie about, because it's big enough.

Things change in development and I won't pretend to know what happened. Just look at what changed from 1.02 to 1.03. The game can still change a lot and it will. This is coming from someone that has been a fan since day 1.

Am I disappointed somethings are missing like tornadoes and lightning? Yes, of course, but it can all come in the future.

IvanJ

Banned
possibly the most irritating thing in this game to me
IS THE AMOUNT OF FUCKING FUEL IT TAKES FOR THE LAUNCH THRUSTERS!
SrC0Jmi.gif

AND THE LANDING!!! ARGH!

Oh, come on, at least there is Plutonium all over the place.
They even provide you with a couple of canisters at every point of interest, just so you don't have to worry about taking off, ever.

Baalzebup

Wait...they DO change color? This was exactly what I was hoping for them to add to the game in my original post and it's already in the game? I've only ever seen them as white dots that fade when I get into the general area of them. Sometimes I don't really find any life when I get there (or it takes a few seconds for the animals to populate around me). Can anyone else confirm that these distant dots actually show colors other than white?

The distant dots are always white. By what I mean by "when you see them", I'm referring to when you do actually have a visual contact on the creatures. The white dots are just vague information about the presence of some living creatures in that general direction. Visual contact brings more info.

Green / Red dots are for direct visual contact only.
Have I hit a blueprint bug? I keep getting blueprints which say 'already known' but I don't because they're not in my list of technology to build. Just got a pulse engine tau upgrade, which was definitely new, but claimed I knew it and it isnt anywhere to be built.

Annoying.

I seem to end up quoting myself a lot in NMS threads :p
More like a glitch with the game trying to give you tech that it has actually gated to other events and you were not supposed to get it from whatever you were doing in the first place. I've had plenty of such messages, but I have eventually gotten the same techs from other sources.
So yes, a bug or a glitch, but basically that upgrade has been gated by the game to some other event and you weren't going to get it from there anyway.

The game as it stands right now is designed like a road trip: look at the scenery passing by as you drive, stop for gas, stop at a diner, and get back out on the road and wonder what's over the next hill. Enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about how long it'll be until you reach your destination.

Exactly how I feel about the game. Well said.

Top Bottom