• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Uthred

Ticks me off how great this game COULD be and how little they put into it.

The game certainly has its issues, but its not entirely on the game that you farmed hard for hours and upgraded everything on your first planet. Part of being free to do what you want is apparently being free to make the game boring for yourself. Scanning is also not "obsolete" nor is it there as a source of income, its there to catalogue the stuff you see, the income is a (small) bonus. The meat of the game is in seeing whats out there, having fully upgraded gear isnt what I'd consider "winning", but again its the kind of game where you set your own goals so if you feel it is it is.

neoism

ha... left my game open in a building during a radiation storm and fell asleep last night... woke up and I guess my cat must have pushed me out of the buildling, i've died multiple times and all my stuff is gone even on my previous saves, looking like this all happened within 6 minutes last night. no more atlas stones, all the callium I mined... oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

check yo ps+ backup?

ogbg

Has anyone worked out how to remove manual waypoints from the galactic map yet?
Seems like a really odd feature to leave out.

Aenima

Need to be near them and use the scan to remove the white dot.

Using the analyser on a building will place a white dot on it, and using the scaner will remove the white dot.
Everething else u need to visit to remove.

My current multitool (ignore the one mistake)

CqL_EbuW8AAFai9.jpg

damn nice, i really dont have many schemes available for combat and the ones i have i need copper which not matter how hard i try i cant find it

ogbg

The whole waypoint system should be reworked - I truly hope they do it.

Are you limited to three? I don't want to test it myself since I can't seem to remove my current 2. If they were unlimited it would provide a lot more navigational tactics, including a method for retracing your journey should you so wish.

MikeyB

This is the thing that annoys me the most. I'm glad that I only figured out that I couldn't remove star waypoints after I tagged my first system. Now I will always know where I came from.

I cannot figure out how to clear waypoints on planets either. There's nothing like a monolith waypoint three planets back to clutter your HUD.

Using the analyser on a building will place a white dot on it, and using the scaner will remove the white dot.

Wait, so are all white dots structures or monoliths of some kind? I thought they were animal life that were simply out of range :/

ogbg

The ones on the galactic map, not on the planet.

Aenima

The ones on the galactic map, not on the planet.

The ones on galatic map also need to visit to remove. Is dumb design that you cant unmark them. I marked one star to try out the feauture and had to vist it later because the waypoint was annoying me. :p

E92 M3

damn nice, i really dont have many schemes available for combat and the ones i have i need copper which not matter how hard i try i cant find it

Do you prefer grenades or boltcaster? Grenades have a ton more usability. Also, keep in mind that copper floats in the air.

Are you limited to three? I don't want to test it myself since I can't seem to remove my current 2. If they were unlimited it would provide a lot more navigational tactics, including a method for retracing your journey should you so wish.

I think it is 3, but don't quote me on that. I've used only one waypoint so far and it glitched my Atlas Interface waypoint. Now, it's going backwards lol.

I have a 13 slot multi-tool. All I ever find are 12 slot ones. :(

Vykeen systems just shit them out!

Wait, so are all white dots structures or monoliths of some kind? I thought they were animal life that were simply out of range :/

Pulsing white dots are out of range creatures, fixed bullseye-like white dots are scanned buildings. The scanner is fucking useless, they need to fix it yesterday.

Aenima

Yes i guess the white dots are for buildings only. While looking for animals or flora to analyze i always end up marking a building or 2 in the process.

Edit: beaten, so i guess it is also used for distant creatures :p

TheRed

I'm really really loving the game with just a few negatives.

- No matter where you land on a planet there's always outposts/ drop pods and all kinds of other things within 2 minutes in any direction. Really really dampens the whole "undiscovered" planet thing. The only upside I feel to all the outposts is I can save while exploring. I would much rather they allowed me to manual save or be able to call my ship back to me anywhere like in Elite then have outposts littering all the planets that supposedly have never been discovered.

- Sentinels being around you through the entire universe is ridiculous to me. I thought GTA police being on you at a moment's notice was too much and this just takes it to another level of omnipresence and feels like they're there to suck out the fun. Even though they're easy to deal with and mostly will leave you be, just their presence annoys me.

- Planets not rotating and following orbits is disappointing as well as no real sun. With all the grand talk of his game not faking things like everyone else, it's kind of a joke.

- Game should provide more of a challenge when exploring and should require more preparation. Let the player learn from failure. I've never died in this game and I only see it happening maybe in a space battle.

- Ship control is super simple and unengaging. If ships handled differently it would be a huge boon to gameplay variability and fun. Also let us be able to crash and if we do have to repair. Maybe make it not too much resources to repair but at least let it be possible to crash.

Pretty much everything else I love. The nitpicks are what hurt my immersion though. Look forward to what they bring to this game in updates.

The game certainly has its issues, but its not entirely on the game that you farmed hard for hours and upgraded everything on your first planet. Part of being free to do what you want is apparently being free to make the game boring for yourself. Scanning is also not "obsolete" nor is it there as a source of income, its there to catalogue the stuff you see, the income is a (small) bonus. The meat of the game is in seeing whats out there, having fully upgraded gear isnt what I'd consider "winning", but again its the kind of game where you set your own goals so if you feel it is it is.

I do like the sightseeing, but I like it as a compliment to what I'm trying to accomplish. Sightseeing for the sake of sightseeing is meaningless to me after 10 planets. They are all looking the same to me now. I need something to spur me to continue sightseeing now, and it's not there. It has to go hand in hand with some sort of progression and there is no more after maxing your stuff.

Even just looking at stuff has diminishing returns in NMS because everything looks the same now. The animals all use the same AI script, which is basically nothing but walking in circles. Sentinels all look the same. The alien vendors never move around and all look the same. Every single space station or shelter or tower or ruins look the same. The plants are different color patterns of the same models.

I found a
set of ruins last night with a giant gold ball in it. You could push it around. I thought maybe there was a puzzle to it or you could mine it - nope, nothing. Had zero purpose. I tried to push it into some circles, shot it with mining laser, boltcaster, grenades. Pushed it into an animal, pushed it into my ship, made a crater and pushed it in there. Nothing. Just something else to wonder why they didn't do anything with it. There was this one chance for me to get excited about something new, but it was literally nothing. It wound up just making me more disappointed with the lack of ideas put into this game. I rolled it off a cliff into some water and just left it there to do nothing. As it was meant to be I suppose.

I don't even know why I spoiler tagged that, because it's literally nothing. But just in case someone might find that interesting, the "surprise" is persevered? lol

I'll jump a couple more systems ad see if anything happens or I find anything interesting, but my interest is waning really fast.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Total Bisquick made a video well worth the watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG9YLeIB98

Also interesting as it is
Vy'Keen warrior race
Gek are trader yet somehow rule over..everyone? o_O?
Korvax are allied with the Sentinels which are also apparently allied with Atlas and are more for preserving planets

But how can Gek rule the galaxy as traders while the Vy'keen are barbaric warriors?

Also interesting choices later in the galaxy is when visiting Vy'keen posts some are planning attacks or building nukes in wish you have choices.
Either Help them out or warn the Gek which will also increase and decrease your reputations.

E92 M3

I'm really really loving the game with just a few negatives.

- No matter where you land on a planet there's always outposts/ drop pods and all kinds of other things within 2 minutes in any direction. Really really dampens the whole "undiscovered" planet thing. The only upside I feel to all the outposts is I can save while exploring. I would much rather they allowed me to manual save or be able to call my ship back to me anywhere like in Elite then have outposts littering all the planets that supposedly have never been discovered.

- Sentinels being around you through the entire universe is ridiculous to me. I thought GTA police being on you at a moment's notice was too much and this just takes it to another level of omnipresence and feels like they're there to suck out the fun. Even though they're easy to deal with and mostly will leave you be, just their presence annoys me.

- Planets not rotating and following orbits is disappointing as well as no real sun. With all the grand talk of his game not faking things like everyone else, it's kind of a joke.

- Game should provide more of a challenge when exploring and should require more preparation. Let the player learn from failure. I've never died in this game and I only see it happening maybe in a space battle.

- Ship control is super simple and unengaging. If ships handled differently it would be a huge boon to gameplay variability and fun. Also let us be able to crash and if we do have to repair. Maybe make it not too much resources to repair but at least let it be possible to crash.

Pretty much everything else I love. The nitpicks are what hurt my immersion though. Look forward to what they bring to this game in updates.

I think they simplified some things due to focus testing. Don't see another reason to take out planetary rotation.

Kinda bummed about that as well.

mokeyjoe

Has anyone had the bug where it says you've already learnt blueprints but they don't show up in the inventory?

Is there any workaround or fix for this?

Has anyone had the bug where it says you've already learnt blueprints but they don't show up in the inventory?

Did you click the arrows to scroll through your blueprints?

I think there's only 10 showing per "tab" of blueprints and then you have to click arrows on the side to see the next tab of them.

I thought it was broken too, but they are actually there behind other tabs and arrow scrolling.

Mindlog

Total Bisquick made a video well worth the watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG9YLeIB98

Also interesting as it is
But how can Gek rule the galaxy as traders while the Vy'keen are barbaric warriors?
That's explained.
The Gek took advantage of the Vy'keen war on Sentinels. The first-spawn Gek were like the Zerg. They were pretty much unstoppable and enslaved the Korvax. However, the Korvax were patient and the Gek were unable to properly understand the Sentinels/Atlas. As much as the Gek conquered it would always be small compared to S/A. The Gek that were closest to the Korvax began revering Atlas and the first spawn's hold on Gek society was shattered. The Gek dominion became the Gek federation. Dominance over the Korvax became cooperation.

The Vikings(sic whatever) hate the Gek. The Vikings were successful in driving the Sentinels back and for a time they had the freedom they wanted. The first-spawn Gek kept attacking and enslaving everything. The Gek were so oppressive and destructive that the Sentinels returned with overwhelming force to control everything again. The Vikings are preparing for another war vs the Sentinels and the new Gek Federation because the Vikings don't forgive.

Aenima

Got that bug in one of my blueprints (some exosuit blueprint upgrade) After adquiring that same blueprint over and over from other locations it eventually got fixed and i manage to craft the upgrade.

Is the upgrade already installed somewhere? I think they disappear from your blueprint list until you disassemble it from wherever its installed.

Example - Crafted +1 Beam Intensifier will then disappear from your blueprint list. Will reappear if you get a multitool that does not have +1 Beam Intensifier installed.

Or maybe there is a legit bug if thats not what you're seeing :(

mokeyjoe

Did you click the arrows to scroll through your blueprints?

I think there's only 10 showing per "tab" of blueprints and then you have to click and arrows on the side to see the next tab of them.

I thought it was broken too, but they are actually there behind other tabs and arrow scrolling.

Yeah - it's actually my friend's game not mine, I've been trying to suggest things.

His inventory only shows two available blueprints in total - which isn't correct because he's been playing for ages. So you can't scroll through.

Muzicfreq

Banned
That's explained.
The Gek took advantage of the Vy'keen war on Sentinels. The first-spawn Gek were like the Zerg. They were pretty much unstoppable and enslaved the Korvax. However, the Korvax were patient and the Gek were unable to properly understand the Sentinels/Atlas. As much as the Gek conquered it would always be small compared to S/A. The Gek that were closest to the Korvax began revering Atlas and the first spawn's hold on Gek society was shattered. The Gek dominion became the Gek federation. Dominance over the Korvax became cooperation.

The Vikings(sic whatever) hate the Gek. The Vikings were successful in driving the Sentinels back and for a time they had the freedom they wanted. The first-spawn Gek kept attacking and enslaving everything. The Gek were so oppressive and destructive that the Sentinels returned with overwhelming force to control everything again. The Vikings are preparing for another war vs the Sentinels and the new Gek Federation because the Vikings don't forgive.
PyXI3JL.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's weird that some pickups, rare elements, and crafted products aren't used to make any upgrades. There seem to be hints that some might play into the freighter stuff in the future, however.

mokeyjoe

Got that bug in one of my blueprints (some exosuit blueprint upgrade) After adquiring that same blueprint over and over from other locations it eventually got fixed and i manage to craft the upgrade.

Yeah - this seems to be pretty much any blueprint. And it's not showing ones he's already collected either.

Hawk269

Anyone have an issue that when you are on a planet and you hit your thrusters to lift off, at times it bolts you into space? It has been annoying. It does not happen all the time, but it is a pain in the ass when you are trying to explore and you lift off and instantly blasted into space.

E92 M3

Someone on reddit said to press TAB or the Touchpad when you see the blueprint popup on the screen. It is a little workaround.

Haven't tested it myself yet.

Hahs

Yes - I did!

I found out that going to those locations alone doesn't register that you've been there - for the longest I'd hit up those locations but wouldnt go to the beacons - or move to the spot that where the game confirmd that you discovered it.

Do this: just try going back to one of those markers and standing somewhere within the vicinity of the indicator, it should register than go away.

In case of those little white dots on locations - just go back to that spot (you gotta be close to it) and click your scanner.

It took me abot 4 days to figure this out, but now I don't have a screen full of pop-ups

Hope this helps. ;)

noomi

I need someone to point me in the right direction... I don;t want to mess this up....spoiling just in case...

I've been following the objectives for the "Atlas Path". I just got to my 3rd system and the objective pointed me towards some monolith which I went to and spoke with, then it said "Look To The Stars" and so I left the planet and while in space I briefly saw three objectives that said something along the line of "upload discoveries and fix analysis visor?" and my galactic map now shows a new blue waypoint to some anomaly... So I'm not sure if I need to finish these 3 objectives (how?) or just go warp to the space anomaly thing

Aenima

So where to the v2 and v3 atlas passes drop? I read somewhere it was from Operation centers. Anywhere else?
And does the star system you are have any influence in finding them, like yellow stars less chance... blue star bigger chance?
I just found yesterday a rare weapon, and was on a blue star system, so maybe it increases the chances to find rare stuff?

KDR_11k

Yikes, I just bought the game and tried to run it on my PC, very unpleasant input lag and every time I quit the game my screen goes black and I have to hit the power button... Updating my drivers right now, if that doesn't help it gets refunded.

Aenima

I need someone to point me in the right direction... I don;t want to mess this up....spoiling just in case...

I've been following the objectives for the "Atlas Path". I just got to my 3rd system and the objective pointed me towards some monolith which I went to and spoke with, then it said "Look To The Stars" and so I left the planet and while in space I briefly saw three objectives that said something along the line of "upload discoveries and fix analysis visor?" and my galactic map now shows a new blue waypoint to some anomaly... So I'm not sure if I need to finish these 3 objectives (how?) or just go warp to the space anomaly thing

Visit everething marked. If u dont visit it and move too far you cant remove the waypoint and it will be there annoying you all the time :p

noomi

Visit everething marked. If u dont visit it and move too far you cant remove the waypoint and it will be there annoying you all the time :p

Do you mean the
3 objectives that I briefly saw? I'm not sure how to nor do I see any waypoints on my screen :(

Wok

I think only one of these objectives is tied to the monolith, but I don't think it bears any importance with regards to the Path. Worst case scenario, fix the analysis visor (it should be some part of the tutorial that you did not finish) and go to the anomaly.

I really wish there was an upgrade to your local scanner to ping distant dots of life to show if you've already scanned them all or not. Right now you can look around your scanner and see dots in the near distance that (I think) represent areas where wildlife will be, but they only appear as white. How much more helpful would it be if one of those lit up red if it possibly contained an animal you haven't yet scanned? Right now, it is a huge pain in the ass to hunt down the last one or two species on a planet. You also have to upload the full list BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE PLANET or else for some strange reason you cannot do it.

It's just too random as it stands right now. Maybe you should be able to pop into orbit and scan from there to see areas of animal life you may have missed in a very general area, then go down and hunt in that region.

mokeyjoe

Yeah - this seems to be pretty much any blueprint. And it's not showing ones he's already collected either.

As an update, now I got my hands on his game I think my friend is wrong, lol. He has a lot of suit tech installed and when I disassemble it it goes back in his inventory. I think he's just suffered from the bug where it tries to give you the warp reactor as multitool upgrade.

mokeyjoe

I really wish there was an upgrade to your local scanner to ping distant dots of life to show if you've already scanned them all or not. Right now you can look around your scanner and see dots in the near distance that (I think) represent areas where wildlife will be, but they only appear as white. How much more helpful would it be if one of those lit up red if it possibly contained an animal you haven't yet scanned? Right now, it is a huge pain in the ass to hunt down the last one or two species on a planet. You also have to upload the full list BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE PLANET or else for some strange reason you cannot do it.

It's just too random as it stands right now. Maybe you should be able to pop into orbit and scan from there to see areas of animal life you may have missed in a very general area, then go down and hunt in that region.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the white dots just point out plutonium or something.

Matt Frost

Took me a while to find copper as well. Copper is found on the floating islands in certain planets. She shape is like an obelisk and is floating right above the surface.

Top Bottom