• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

My 48 slot ship. I love her and she flies true to the center of the galaxy.

13975492_10154026169614234_7521151164847217352_o.jpg
That's lovely, I want one like that.

Thanks everyone. It took some time to find her. I had bypassed 4 other 48 slot crashed ships and searched 4 hours until I found this one and it was perfect. So if you are about to hit the max ship via the crashed ship method, don't grab the first one you find. Search for the awesome looking one.

GeeTeeCee

I just maxed out the milestone for distance walked, and I'm still only in my third system. I suspect this game is going to take me a long time. Only just cracked a million units too, so I'm on the hunt for a ship better than the starter one.

Quaz51

Remember Sean's claims that you could walk for days and days around the "actual planet-sized planets"?

Yeah, they take 6 hours to walk around. If we assume a 5km/h walking pace, it means this planet, which is typically big to my experience, has a circumference of 30 km. That's less than 1000th of earths 44,000 km circumference. Our own moon has 10,000. The two tiny moons og Mars are bigger. Djeeez.

i found there are three diameter planets: 100 km , 150km and 200 km. moon are all 30 km diameter (and go with 200 km planet type)
200 km diameter = 125 000 km² (skyrim and oblivion are 40 km²)

the more I play this game, the more I get shocked by the missed oportunities.

- solar systems should be physics simulated. It's the main gripe that I have with HG's three years build up.

- you should have some sort of spectroscope. Do you know how scientists know about the composition of a far, far away planet? They use one of these. You should be able to point it into a star/planet and got some idea about what it is made off.

- the exploratory and scientific aspect of being in another planet was greately overlooked. If they created a more compelling experience of exploring another worlds and interacting with its reallities, this could be as huge as Minecraft is among educators.

I mean, 45 minutes into the game and the harsh, ridiculously radioactive planet I was in already was a pretty standard place: I could walk easily because there are blueprints everywhere and I got one that made me radioactive resistant (now I have the level two, which makes storms in radioactive planets - I always land on these for some reason - nothing more than some pretty clouds and particles flowing around)

I'm not advocating for a mindless punitive gameplay, where harsh evironments are unbearable just for the sake of being that way. What I'd like to see is a more sense of "hey, I'm in a radioactive planet, what are the implications beyond the need of a suit upgrade?" I'd like to learn a bit about it and have the tools to make my own solutions, rather than simply gattering some random things in the floor and make a square that takes a space in my scarce inventory.

KDR_11k

Nah, the white pulsing dots are lifeforms beyond the draw distance. When you see them, the dots gain color to indicate scanned / not scanned status. It is a feature to help you track down animals in hopes of catching them all. Definitely useful when tracking subterranean life, for example.

Crystals are resources, and show up when making a scan. The analyzer functions have nothing to do with resources.

I think even distant lifeforms have a red/green dot in their center. White dots are unscanned plants or geology. At least when I followed white dots I found rocks and plants that I hadn't seen before.

Trojan

Do I only need
Atlus Stones
if I take the
Atlus Path and do the new game plus thing?
I've got 9 of 10 of them, but I think I'd rather take
the long journey to the center of the Galaxy. Can I still go there if I don't have 10 Atlus Stones?

Fuck sakeeeeee I have had 3 hard crashes on PS4 in the space of an hour. Just walking about on a planet. Before the latest patch that never happened and I would only get a crash to the ps4 dash about 30% of the time when I warp to a new system. Now the warp crash seems to be fixed but having real issues on the ground. Great!

Hoping it's patched super soon.

Mindlog

Checked how much it would be to buy a new ship comparably equipped to my own.
Found one with 1 less slot.
~122,000,000
I thought I had a lot of credits lol. I'm going to stop scrapping ships that have fewer slots than mine because credits are pretty much useless. Hopefully soon I'll have a 48 slots ship that I can fully upgrade (Warp, Shields Blaster.) After that I'll look for a good looking ship on the ground instead of scrapping everything and buying one.
possibly the most irritating thing in this game to me
IS THE AMOUNT OF FUCKING FUEL IT TAKES FOR THE LAUNCH THRUSTERS!

AND THE LANDING!!! ARGH!
I actively avoided landing at posts because of the longer animation, but they let you take off for free just like pads. I also try to keep just 1 stack of plut on my character and 1 full stack on the ship. Still means I have to look for crystals every few landings.

E92 M3

Most of us who have that size ship likely got it from grinding distress beacons on Gek planets. 48 slot ships are stupid expensive in the current economy.

Haven't even encountered a Gek system yet, but regardless, 33 slots is working for me now. After a max ship, there isn't much to spend on anyways haha.

muteki

- you should have some sort of spectroscope. Do you know how scientists know about the composition of a far, far away planet? They use one of these. You should be able to point it into a star/planet and got some idea about what it is made off.

This is a really great idea. Your scanners when in ship are pretty much useless roll of the dice shit. being able to scan a planet from a distance and getting a graph readout of its composition would be awesome.

Most of us who have that size ship likely got it from grinding distress beacons on Gek planets. 48 slot ships are stupid expensive in the current economy.

Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the gek glitch till after I did the crashed ship grind the regular way.

I skipped over about 5-6 48 slotters till I found this one:

29093721145_63187051da_o.jpg

28472483074_f0355e11af_o.jpg

the more I play this game, the more I get chocked by the missed oportunities.

- solar systems should be physics simulated. It's the main gripe that I have with HG three years build up.

- the exploratory and scientific aspect of being in another planet was greately overlooked. If they created a more compelling experience of exploring another worlds and interacting with its reallities, this could be as huge as Minecraft is among educators.

I mean, 45 minutes into the game and the harsh, ridiculously radioactive planet I was in already was a pretty standard place: I could walk easily because there are blueprints everywhere and I got one that made me radioactive resistant (now I have the level two, which makes storms in radioactive planets - I always land on these for some reason - nothing more than some pretty clouds and particles flowing around)

I'm not advocating for a mindless punitive gameplay, where harsh evironments are unbearable just for the sake of being that way. What I'd like to see is a more sense of "hey, I'm in a radioactive planet, what are the implications beyond the need of a suit upgrade?" I'd like to learn a bit about it and have the tools to make my own solutions, rather than simply gattering some random things in the floor and make a square that takes a space in my scarce inventory.

The solar system thing was a huge kick to the face. I imagined standing on a planet at night, looking up at the stars and saying "I'm going to that one next." As far as I can tell the stars that "rotate" are generic backdrops like the star in the system. Games 30 years ago had rotating planets on computers with the power of a modern day Timex watch.

For a game about exploration they don't give much incentive to do it. There's nothing rare to find on any planet. "Oh I found one of 100 crashed ships on the planet."

The most difficult thing is fiddling with your inventory.

I've got a lot of hours out of the game but at the same time it's been a big letdown compared to how it was talked about (by the devs) and shown, leading up to release.

VARIA

My 48 slot ship. I love her and she flies true to the center of the galaxy.

13975492_10154026169614234_7521151164847217352_o.jpg

That's one sexy ass ship. Reminds me of my second ship (17 slots):

Suq5r4R.png

Oh , how I miss thee. Even had a little unit on the side that looked like R2D2.

BTW, how do I take screenshots on the PC/Steam. I'm new to PC gaming and I thought it was one of the F keys but those are designated to volume/brightness and whatnot. Help a noob out thanks. :)

E92 M3

The solar system thing was a huge kick to the face. I imagined standing on a planet at night, looking up at the stars and saying "I'm going to that one next." As far as I can tell the stars that "rotate" are generic backdrops like the star in the system. Games 30 years ago had rotating planets on computers with the power of a modern day Timex watch.

For a game about exploration they don't give much incentive to do it. There's nothing rare to find on any planet. "Oh I found one of 100 crashed ships on the planet."

The most difficult thing is fiddling with your inventory.

I've got a lot of hours out of the game but at the same time it's been a big letdown compared to how it was talked about (by the devs) and shown, leading up to release.

I think they changed it due to focus testing. Day 1 patch even changed something.

Baalzebup

I think even distant lifeforms have a red/green dot in their center. White dots are unscanned plants or geology. At least when I followed white dots I found rocks and plants that I hadn't seen before.

When they are in the distant "there is something over there" range, they are absolutely and invariably only white. The colors appear upon reaching visual range, or when you've gotten to a certain direction from the buggers, where the distance the color appears at is highly dependent on the lifeform in question. For example, a certain big predatory fish species had the red colored dot out far earlier than the local schools of smaller aquatic creatures, but that one too was initially just one of dem white pulsing dots.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If they created a more compelling experience of exploring another worlds and interacting with its reallities, this could be as huge as Minecraft is among educators.
Minecraft didn't get there on Day 1 either. If the game does well enough and remains a passion-project for Hello Games, let's see where things stand after a few updates.

Haha! Yeah, it was a fine looking ship. It's comforting to know there's similar looking one's that are 48 slots.

I've got a blue 48-slot version of that same ship, but with the Tie-Bomber "wings" on each side. It's pretty dope, think I'll be keeping it for a while.

mokeyjoe

Minecraft didn't get there on Day 1 either. If the game does well enough and remains a passion-project for Hello Games, let's see where things stand after a few updates.

I don't think they have a choice now, lol. Plus they keep saying it's their 'dream game' - it doesn't make sense not to work on it. I think that was behind the recent DLC backpedal - they've kind of realised they're the No Man's Sky company now, and that's their income source for the foreseeable future.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Game becomes way more interesting when you're dealing with extreme planets that contain exotic minerals. Currently traversing an extreme radiated planet and even with radiation protection I have to make sure I have a surplus of shields to energize my radiation shielding.

Also ran into my first space dogfight and got my teeth kicked in due to not fitting my ship with shielding lol sort of a naive space roving geologist that got shown the realities of deep space travel.

Baalzebup

I was initially hoping to score a white version of that type when I arrived to my current system to hunt for that last dreamy 47 --> 48 after I had rejected an unfortunate number of flying potatoes, but I was instead greeted by this beauty. I happily took her in to my life and decked her out to be the baddest one seater in my corner of the Galaxy.

I think it looks pretty damn metal.

And no Gek towers either, though I did dupe some cashmoney to jumpstart my upgrade cycle again after this little debacle. I had gone from 25 to 38 when that went down, and maxed my previously 18 slot multi-tool.

renzollo

Banned
I just maxed out the milestone for distance walked, and I'm still only in my third system. I suspect this game is going to take me a long time. Only just cracked a million units too, so I'm on the hunt for a ship better than the starter one.

If this were GTA V you'd have hella-stamina

I'm so glad they have sleek 48-slot ships, I was worried they'd all only be weird giant space motor homes.

I finally maxed out my suit! Kind of ridiculous that I have a 48 slot suit and a 20-slot ship though so I gotta start looking for bitchin rides soon.

But that's after. First on the list is to warp the fuck out of this already discovered corner of the galaxy so I can explore in peace. Hopefully the current system I'm in has everything I need to build up my warp reactors.

AGoodODST

I hate this planet.

There are these DEADLY weasel-platypus things that just fuck me up. They just come out of nowhere, in a group, drain my shields in seconds and take a thousand shots to die. Forget using a grenade as they will just move like grease lightning and fuck you up.

muteki

I was initially hoping to score a white version of that type when I arrived to my current system to hunt for that last dreamy 47 --> 48 after I had rejected an unfortunate number of flying potatoes, but I was instead greeted by this beauty. I happily took her in to my life and decked her out to be the baddest one seater in my corner of the Galaxy.

I think it looks pretty damn metal.

And no Gek towers either, though I did dupe some cashmoney to jumpstart my upgrade cycle again after this little debacle. I had gone from 25 to 38 when that went down, and maxed my previously 18 slot multi-tool.

Love that. Very Gaplant.

What's the status on the hyperdrive glitch at this time? Has it been patched?

I am up to the part where they tell me to build fuel cells for it or whatever. Does that mean I have the blueprint and it is safe to use the preorder ship? Or should I spent the 40,000 to buy the materials in the marketplace and fully complete this quest first?

Thanks in advance.

Spent over an hour mining Emeril. I nearly had every available slot of my 48 slot suit filled with Emeril; then the game crashed before I could save :mad:

IvanJ

Banned
Do I only need
Atlus Stones
if I take the
Atlus Path and do the new game plus thing?
I've got 9 of 10 of them, but I think I'd rather take
the long journey to the center of the Galaxy. Can I still go there if I don't have 10 Atlus Stones?

Yes, you need 10 stones, then visit the 11th Atlas interface to finish that quest line.
But that does not end the game, you still can continue toward center afterwards.

So people have 48 slot ships already? Damn, how was that achieved? Grinding fixing crashed ships? I've just upgraded my exosuit to max capacity, next up will be my multitool - is 24 slots the biggest multi tool you can get? Also, I think that the closer you get to the centre the more chance you have of finding planets with exotic materials on them. I just found a planet that has plentiful murrine on it. Mined 250 (took ages as the weird gold poo thing only gives out 4-5 units per mining) then I forgot to save and the game froze on me when I went back to space and warped to the next system. I'll need to mine the 250 again :-(

Mashing

Forgive me if this is been posted, but I found a vortex cube planet..
On the ground, sentianls don't care. And I can stack the cubes upto 100 if I make ship tech and then dismantle it. So yeah.

I'm gonna be here for a while. Each stack of 100 is valued at 2,475,000

Huh... what do you mean by that?

Baalzebup

Huh... what do you mean by that?

There are certain upgrade pieces that use things like the cubes, and you get half of them (rounded down) back when dismantling them. Due to how it has been set up, likely to guarantee that players aren't so easily robbed of some of the salvage due to not having enough slots, the special articles like the cubes are given in a special stack with a maximum of 100. This allows you to fill out that stack and save a helluva lot of space when farming that particular component.

Possible at least with Neutrino Modules, Dimensional Matrixes, Vortex Cubes, Gravitino Balls, Microdensity Fibres, Carite Sheets and Dynamic Resonators.

Lettuce

Im after some assistnace.

This is the first time im using ReShade, and im using E3fx shader, ive installed ReShade and copied the E3fx shader files to the Binaries folder. But when i start No Man Sky i get the Reshade text in the top left corner of the screen but it has the following error message......

\No Man Sky\Binaries\ReShader.fx (14, 2): preprocessor warning: could not find application profile, fall back to default

why am i getting this error and how do i fix it please??

Ferr986

Haven't even encountered a Gek system yet, but regardless, 33 slots is working for me now. After a max ship, there isn't much to spend on anyways haha.

Same here. my ship is 33 slots. I like it so I'm not bothering with more slotted ships for now. Maybe if I see another one that I really want...

mokeyjoe

Same here. my ship is 33 slots. I like it so I'm not bothering with more slotted ships for now. Maybe if I see another one that I really want...

Mine is only 25, lol. I don't want to change it, it looks so pretty...

Only 4 free inventory slots after all my upgrades :p

Mine is only 25, lol. I don't want to change it, it looks so pretty...

Only 4 free inventory slots after all my upgrades :p

My issue with the last crashed ship I found was layout. One more slot but since permanent ship pieces can't be rearranged it's probably not worth it.

Top Bottom