• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Muzicfreq

Banned
NoMansSky_Monolith.png

This picture is from their webpage from the press section

POSSIBLE SPOILER VIEW AT OWN RISK
From what we can gather there is 13 galactic maps what you get to by completing each one and continuing onto the next.

The picture here is a portal with roughly what looks like 13 Monoliths and the gigantic one. This looks like possibly a portal/s to the different ones.

Sean always stressed getting to the center of the Universe and never really to the center of the galaxy.

NoMansSky_Monolith.png

From what we can gather there is 13 galactic maps what you get to by completing each one and continuing onto the next.

The picture here is a portal with roughly what looks like 13 Monoliths and the gigantic one. This looks like possibly a portal/s to the different ones.

Sean always stressed getting to the center of the Universe and never really to the center of the galaxy.

I have heard him use galaxy and universe almost like they are interchangeable, which they are not in reality.

Alebrije

I've wasted the last two days looking everywhere on this freaking planet for the last species. I've spent hours underwater, hours in caves, hours looking for birds and even more hours on land and I just can't find it. I'm at the point where I'm turning from peaceful explorer to mass murderer because I get pissed everytime I think I've found something and it's the same animals I've seen hundreds of times. At one point I saw a red dot on my scanner and it was just a variation of an already discovered species. A single tear ran down my cheek.
I keep looking for it because otherwise all these hours would be definitely wasted. And I want those 380,000 Units. What the hell am I missing ?
I won't ever look for all the species again on a planet, that's for sure.

The planet is beautiful, so there's that. But right now I want to burn it into a crisp.

Hate those planets!!! Happened the same and after two days of searching the last animal specie and no success decided to leave it. Arrived to a new one and less than an hour got all the animals.

Barren worlds with less flora are better for animal hunting

Congratulations. How was it to get?

Any suggestions?

I just made it to first Atlas Anomaly and been chilling and mining as I go. Going for the trifecta of Platinum, Centre of the Universe and Complete the Atlas Story

Thanks! Extreme Survivor trophies were the roughest, the rest comes with just progressing the game (although I did cheese the zoology trophy for a couple planets by uploading dead planets).

For the 32 SOLs on a toxic planet just remember that you can't leave the planet, go into orbit of the planet or die. It's a ridiculous requirement as 1 SOL = 15 real world minutes.

I am onto that trifecta as well! I need to get to the Centre and we are done.

Big Nikus

In the "checklist" in the menu, where is the undiscovered animal in the list? What animals are above and below it in the list?

I still havent had a chance to check this, but I believe that list is in a specific order, land, air and sea. So if in the list, the undiscovered animal has a sea animal above and below it, you're most likely missing a sea animal. Same for land and air.

May help you narrow it down.

Yeah I was just thinking about this, and the one I'm missing is between a land and a sea animal. In the other column, it corresponds to a bird. So I'm checking the sky.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
NoMansSky_Monolith.png

Speculation:
If there are a limited number of galaxies and it's only 13, that does line up suspiciously with that structure. It also makes it reasonable for the average player to be capable of "completing" the game by going through just 13 galaxies, once you have an upgraded warp and know how to make a beeline for the center.

For all the stuff that's not in the game, I do tend to think the portal system is planned for activation and use. Maybe the 13 portal hub is designed to allow players to go back to previous galaxies at will. Maybe something will be added to the game that makes each of the 13 galaxies unique in some way, such as a special element that only exists in one galaxy. Like say to power up the giant super portal.

Aenima

Anyone use the railshot adapter for the mining beam?

Yes, you can do all your damage needs with that and ditch the Boltcaster upgrades.
With the railshot instaled, you can also destroy doors from factories using the mining laser.

BizzyBum

I never watched the leak streams, but was it the same way in 1.00? This is just my personal speculation, but I think there are strong hints that they altered the game late in development.

I have a feeling this is true. Personally, I would have wanted this game to be way harder. I feel they made it wayyy more accessible to sell more copies once the game became a crazy hype machine.

Good video explaining this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioaB__ZKLlM

E92 M3

Yes, you can do all your damage needs with that and ditch the Boltcaster upgrades.
With the railshot instaled, you can also destroy doors from factories using the mining laser.

I don't use the boltcaster- just grenades and mining. More importantly, does the railshot allow for quicker mining?

Aenima

I don't use the boltcaster- just grenades and mining. More importantly, does the railshot allow for quicker mining?

No. its for damage only. It destroy a door in seconds. Without the railshot the mining laser cant damage doors. I think it also help boost the damage you do to animals and sentinels. Basically it turn your mining laser into a deadly weapon.

My multitool only have all mining laser upgrades (with the railshot), some grenade upgrades and all scanner upgrades too.

NeoRausch

wow. this planet has albumen pearls, aquaspheres and callium. It's the most dangerous I've been on though.

Wait... Albumen?

Maaaaannnnn! In the beginning of the game I had an already discovered system and and one of the planets was called "albumen" and I wondered why!
Fuck!....:D

My multitool only has the pulse grenade, scanner, visor, one range upgrade. The other 16 slots are filled with the mining beam, railshot adapter, and upgrades.

Fedele

Wait... Albumen?

Maaaaannnnn! In the beginning of the game I had an already discovered system and and one of the planets was called "albumen" and I wondered why!

I'm also naming my resourceful planets according to what they have to offer. I have things like Albumenia, Gravitino Parada etc. If you guys ever see that, STOP BY!

Things that should've been in the game:

1) Base-building. Rudimentary. A place to call "home". A way to mark that on a planet, and a way to mark a planet or find back to that system. Base-building via crafting.

You have a base. It looks like this:

latest

Just because you don't like road trips doesn't mean your grandpa is wrong for living out of an RV. The entire point of the game is travel and exploration; having a stationary base goes completely against that. It's like arguing that Call of Duty needs a mode where you settle your differences through respectful debate. It makes no sense. And spending all your time in a single location will just emphasize the inadequacies in the other areas you mentioned, such as animals having such rudimentary behavior or sentinels being too easy to shake. I just don't get this at all.

RodzTF

Tips on finding a max multi-tool? Mine is currently 18 but keep finding 17 ones.

Do I need to warp to rarer stars to find max tools or do they procedurally progress every time you find an upgrade?

mokeyjoe

Speculation:
If there are a limited number of galaxies and it's only 13, that does line up suspiciously with that structure. It also makes it reasonable for the average player to be capable of "completing" the game by going through just 13 galaxies, once you have an upgraded warp and know how to make a beeline for the center.

For all the stuff that's not in the game, I do tend to think the portal system is planned for activation and use. Maybe the 13 portal hub is designed to allow players to go back to previous galaxies at will. Maybe something will be added to the game that makes each of the 13 galaxies unique in some way, such as a special element that only exists in one galaxy. Like say to power up the giant super portal.

Not really a spoiler but tagged in case:

Maybe the portals are inactive because people are still in the first galaxy. Has anyone tried activating one from the second?

Has anyone found Omega upgrades? The only one I found was for the mining laser. I am guessing they are super rare... and I don't remember where I got it.

So, I've seen a couple of posts about cheesing the extreme survival trophy. How do you actually cheese it? This (along with the trophy for destroying starships) are the ones that will end up taking me the longest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait... Albumen?

I'm also naming my resourceful planets according to what they have to offer. I have things like Albumenia, Gravitino Parada etc. If you guys ever see that, STOP BY!
Have been starting to do this too, yep.

edit: Although I actually named this one after Callium before realizing it also had the other stuff

noomi

NoMansSky_Monolith.png

This is too fucking cool.

I know it's just speculation at this point, but it's amazing to me, and even more amazing how the journey to figure out all these secrets will be revealed :D

Has anyone found Omega upgrades? The only one I found was for the mining laser. I am guessing they are super rare... and I don't remember where I got it.

I don't think anyone has, but I imagine that there is some super secret spoilery way to get these... maybe they aid you in some way to get to where we currently cant?

Aenima

Not really a spoiler but tagged in case:

Maybe the portals are inactive because people are still in the first galaxy. Has anyone tried activating one from the second?

Yes i tried, still not active. Im pretty sure is something they might add in a future update.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Speculation:

This would make sense because it hit me earlier today, what's the point of making all these discoveries if you're just gonna leave them all behind when you reach the center? Each galaxy will never get mapped by more than maybe half a percentage and people in the second galaxy will never see the stuff you discovered and named.

I found a planet with Sac Venom EVERYWHERE last night. Used the scanner and Little Green Question Marks appeared ALL OVER my HUD

I named it planet "SAC VENOM OOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAA" if anyone is in my "neighborhood" and wants to easy money. Help yourself! The entire planet is covered with them in huge densities.

Whenever you grab a couple, 2 Basic Sentinels and 1 Dog Sentinel shows up. You can kill them really fast and then just go farm all the Sac Venom you have room to pick up. Killing the Sentinels gives you Titanium which you can use to repair your suit's deflector shield. So, basically, you'll never die and can farm your ass off all day long. Make millions.

I've been doing farming runs with the Sac Venom and making 500K per space station visit. No duping. No exploiting. No mods or trainers. Just plain old gameplay.

***So, I pretty much "won" the game. My suit is almost maxed out with slots, I can buy any ship I want and my mining laser has no real purpose anymore other than to pick up Plutonium every once in a while to refuel the thrusters.

I literally have no goal left in this game but to finish the Atlas path, which from what I hear,
rewards you with fucking nothing!

BTW - I'm only on my 3rd Solar System. Haven't even gotten to my first Atlas Station yet lol. I have the Warp Fuel and the Hyperdrive to get there, but there's no reason to.

The game has so much potential, but the pacing is a complete disaster. There are TOO MANY Abandoned Pods (Suit slots for cash) and TOO MANY Crashed Ships (Free Ship Slots) on every single planet. Which means, once you figure out which resource to mine in your solar system, you can max out all your gear. You never have to leave your starting planet if it's got just a little bit of everything on it. And if you find a planet like I just found, well shit, the game comes to an abrupt end in only a couple hours of farming.

I think I've been to a total of 10 planets in the 3 systems I've been in thus far, and I'm already bored of scanning and looking at stuff. Scanning is originally a source of income. Now, it's pointless. There's no reason to scan anything once you learn to Buy Low and Sell High, because scanning has huge diminishing returns. So, that part of the game is obsolete to me now.

There's nothing really left to do in No Man's Sky for me that would be a surprise or unique or make me feel accomplished and I'm only 3 systems in. I mean, what monumental event is left? Some cheesy Sci-Fi CGI moment?

Ticks me off how great this game COULD be and how little they put into it.

mokeyjoe

I have a feeling this is true. Personally, I would have wanted this game to be way harder. I feel they made it wayyy more accessible to sell more copies once the game became a crazy hype machine.

Good video explaining this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioaB__ZKLlM

I don't know. There are already people who complain about the opposite. I think having widely varying planets with good reasons to stick it out on extreme planets would be the answer. I'm already finding more extreme places described as things like 'Nuclear wasteland' and I seem to be getting attacked by wildlife much more. One planet I was 200m from my ship but couldn't get to it because the storm was so extreme I had to wait for it to blow over. I don't know if this is a patch thing or just because I'm making headway to the centre now. Still could be tougher I guess, but I need more motivation rather than just seeing the weather and taking off to find somewhere nicer.

My friend had a bug where his ship took off without him, and it actually made it kind of interesting as he had to survive on the planet until he found a landing pad. To be fair it was an easy planet, but some sort of planet based 'quest' system could be nice.

FunkMiller

I stumbled across a planet covered in vortex cubes, with passive security bots.

Emptied my inventory of everything and went collecting. Every time I filled up and went back to the trading point I was selling about 900,000 credits worth. The only issue I ever had was it's a freezing cold planet, so had to top up my exosuit with zinc to keep warm.

Called it Planet Vortex Box (even though they're cubes, I'm an idiot) If anyone ever sees it - fill your boots.

Blunoise

I stumbled across a planet covered in vortex cubes, with passive security bots.

Emptied my inventory of everything and went collecting. Every time I filled up and went back to the trading point I was selling about 900,000 credits worth.

Called it Planet Vortex Box (even though their cubes, I'm an idiot) If anyone ever sees it - fill your boots.
I'm a a vortex planet right now !

Aenima

There's nothing really left to do in No Man's Sky for me that would be a surprise or unique or make me feel accomplished and I'm only 3 systems in. I mean, what monumental event is left? Some cheesy Sci-Fi CGI moment?

Ticks me off how great this game COULD be and how little they put into it.

I reached the center, visited 253 solar systems, and 117 planets, and im still finding stuff that surprises me once in a while.

Maxing out your suit/ship, is just like having your backpack ready and stocked for a exploration trip. The little things and cool stuff you find out during that trip is what makes this game great for me.

NeoRausch

I do not remember where I found it.

Btw, so everyone knows I am not blowing smoke up anyone's ass

13962856_10154025726604234_1698418304978445947_o.jpg

I got something omega.... Have to look up what when I'm back from work though.
But I found it pretty early on in the game.

Edit: nice looking MT! Like that disc design!

TyrantII

Arnt solar systems designated "Galaxies"?

Are we talking about regions? Does getting to the center open up NG+ but in a blank universe? Are we sure about that, just not a different starting point?

I'm so confused.

Are we talking about regions? Does getting to the center open up NG+ but in a blank universe? Are we sure about that, just not a different starting point?

I'm so confused.

If you want to know:

It's an entirely new galaxy from Euclid. It even has its own name - Hilbert

Aenima

Yeah, i have the omega upgrade for the mining laser too. Dont even remember where i got it. Just from the usual blueprints spots i guess. Right now only blueprints i sthink i still dont got are atlas pass v2 and v3 :p

Mindlog

Yup.
Also anyone else upgrade through abandoned ships simultaneously find themselves rolling in credits? I make ~500000 per crashed ship and that's without selling the stacks of 5 Gravitino Balls and dual Dynamic Resonators. I have almost 30 each of those now. I may have enough credits to buy a stripped down 48 slot ship now, but I'm finding some great ships and using those I'd have to rebuild less tech.

Really neat!
Thanks.

Yeah, i have the omega upgrade for the mining laser too. Dont even remember where i got it. Just from the usual blueprints spots i guess. Right now only blueprints i sthink i still dont got are atlas pass v2 and v3 :p
I have v3 and that was pulling teeth going to Manufacturing sites.

I got something omega.... Have to look up what when I'm back from work though.
But I found it pretty early on in the game.

Edit: nice looking MT! Like that disc design!

Thanks! I actually swapped another 24 MT when this one was offered.

I am guessing those very rare and exotic materials are used for all other omega upgrades since I have seen no use for many of them except for selling.

Nice looking MT. Very Railgun like.

I'm so confused.

Solar systems are systems (or star systems). The galaxy is the entirety of EVERYTHING you see when you open your star map. The Universe is all the difference galaxies,
which you warp between by reaching the center (I think; seeing as how I've traveled to 6 different star systems, I'm hardly qualified to speak to that point). So, yeah, NG+ takes place in a new galaxy with a whole bunch of new star systems.

Anyone use the railshot adapter for the mining beam?

yeah, i ditched the weapon module and stuck everything i could afford into the mining beam. i kill sentinels in two seconds and the 3 star sentinel is the one it takes longer though

i mine stuff in a second with the omega mining upgrade i found

TyrantII

Solar systems are systems (or star systems). The galaxy is the entirety of EVERYTHING you see when you open your star map. The Universe is all the difference galaxies,
which you warp between by reaching the center (I think; seeing as how I've traveled to 6 different star systems, I'm hardly qualified to speak to that point). So, yeah, NG+ takes place in a new galaxy with a whole bunch of new star systems.

Well damn. Exploring my local group of star systems just got even more lonely.

Liljagare

Datamining has shown there are 13 named galaxies, the 13th will have the "proper" ending. Read about it over in a steam forum thread that has "vanished". I posted the names earlier in the thread somewhere.. :p

Impulsor

I got my platinum trophy today. Still really far from the center. Kinds don't care anymore.

Still did not manage to find atlas pass v2 and v3.

Any tips?

Datamining has shown there are 13 named galaxies, the 13th will have the "proper" ending. Read about it over in a steam forum thread that has "vanished". I posted the names earlier in the thread somewhere.. :p

I thought data-mining suggested
There are five named and then the rest are using randomly generated names.

Hahs

I am trying to figure out the reason to have a ricochet module for grenades. It seems useless.
Only thing I can think is the times that you enter a derelict post and those man-eating tendril arm thingys are on the ceiling right where you need to be - you can't fire weapons in there, but perhaps with the ricochet perk you can stand outside and shoot it - especially if its around the corner from the door?

Other than that - I agree on the question of usefulness, maybe a future patch will make it more handy - toes crossed!

E92 M3

yeah, i ditched the weapon module and stuck everything i could afford into the mining beam. i kill sentinels in two seconds and the 3 star sentinel is the one it takes longer though

i mine stuff in a second with the omega mining upgrade i found

My current multitool (ignore the one mistake)

CqL_EbuW8AAFai9.jpg

Top Bottom