• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

BizzyBum

So people have 48 slot ships already? Damn, how was that achieved? Grinding fixing crashed ships? I've just upgraded my exosuit to max capacity, next up will be my multitool - is 24 slots the biggest multi tool you can get? Also, I think that the closer you get to the centre the more chance you have of finding planets with exotic materials on them. I just found a planet that has plentiful murrine on it. Mined 250 (took ages as the weird gold poo thing only gives out 4-5 units per mining) then I forgot to save and the game froze on me when I went back to space and warped to the next system. I'll need to mine the 250 again :-(

Using Gek transmission towers to locate a ton of crashed ships at once is the easiest method. You could do it one at a time in other systems but would take substantially longer depending on how many slots your ship currently has. You can also grind rare mats to make millions for a day or two then buy a 48 slot.

Multi-tool is 24 max, yes. You can grind those by searching for beacons which will take you to outposts which have new tools hanging on the wall, Gek systems excluded.

Septimius

i found there are three diameter planets: 100 km , 150km and 200 km. moon are all 30 km diameter (and go with 200 km planet type)
200 km diameter = 125 000 km² (skyrim and oblivion are 40 km²)

How? If walking around takes 6 hours, it can't be a circumference of 320 km. It would be 10/15/20km. 1,250km^2

Septimius

I think they changed it due to focus testing. Day 1 patch even changed something.

They haven't changed the way system are set up. It's been the same phoney stuff. Perhaps planets rotates, but without an orbit, it's a weak model. If they removed rotation, it was because their HUD is so useless people couldn't find the space station when going off-planet, I bet

Jonbo298

BTW, how do I take screenshots on the PC/Steam. I'm new to PC gaming and I thought it was one of the F keys but those are designated to volume/brightness and whatnot. Help a noob out thanks. :)

F12. Your keyboard should have something like an 'FN' key if it's defaulting to those instead of working like a normal F key.

I'm gonna miss my little ship..

275850_201608200018336mung.png

275850_20160820001918yxu8a.png

iosefe

so after the patch dropped, i acctivated a Multi tool blueprint kiosk and...

it gave me the Jetpack Blueprint, which can't even be used

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wish they maintained the differences in ship sizes in relation to performance as far as maneuverability. Right now its just about slots and aesthetics. I would totally rock a tiny nimble ship with 15 slots and make it work.

Using Gek transmission towers to locate a ton of crashed ships at once is the easiest method. You could do it one at a time in other systems but would take substantially longer depending on how many slots your ship currently has. You can also grind rare mats to make millions for a day or two then buy a 48 slot.

Multi-tool is 24 max, yes. You can grind those by searching for beacons which will take you to outposts which have new tools hanging on the wall, Gek systems excluded.

Thanks!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So the multitool upgrade, it only goes up by a slot or two? I've been waiting for a more substantial jump but I haven't seen any yet.

Septimius

So the multitool upgrade, it only goes up by a slot or two? I've been waiting for a more substantial jump but I haven't seen any yet.

In my experience, most of the time, yes. Better trade progressively up. I stopped caring about the upgrades and got all new multitools for a while. Suddenly I had 24 slots

I wish I could just upgrade slots in my ship. I love the look of mine and it's certainly big enough.

I'm more of a fan of bulky, Serenity/Millennium Falcon-esque ships than anything else and what I have is PERFECT. We'll see if I find something I like.

Mashing

There are certain upgrade pieces that use things like the cubes, and you get half of them (rounded down) back when dismantling them. Due to how it has been set up, likely to guarantee that players aren't so easily robbed of some of the salvage due to not having enough slots, the special articles like the cubes are given in a special stack with a maximum of 100. This allows you to fill out that stack and save a helluva lot of space when farming that particular component.

Possible at least with Neutrino Modules, Dimensional Matrixes, Vortex Cubes, Gravitino Balls, Microdensity Fibres, Carite Sheets and Dynamic Resonators.

Ahh, that's good to know. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Alebrije

Today tried to land on a planet ,just before reach the atmosphere a group of enemies appeared, I tried to escape toward the planet but it seems you are not allowed to do that and forced to fight.

So basically you can not land on a planet while being attacked, can someone confirm this..

Jonbo298

so after the patch dropped, i acctivated a Multi tool blueprint kiosk and...

it gave me the Jetpack Blueprint, which can't even be used

I've had that happen too. Also got blueprints for the exosuit and launch thruster. Part of me hopes that it was activated early and that they're preparing to let us dismantle them so we can optimize slotting.

SnowDrops

Today tried to land on a planet ,just before reach the atmosphere a group of enemies appeared, I tried to escape toward the planet but it seems you are not allowed to do that and forced to fight.

So basically you can not land on a planet while being attacked, can someone confirm this..

As far as I could tell, you're not allowed out of basic "Spacestation is near"-Speeds. (around 200u iirc) But you should still be able to land when you make it to the surface.

You can land on a planet whilst engaged in a fight. However your pulse drive will go offline (jammed by enemies) so unless you're very close to the planet running won't be an option. Just upgrade your shields and make sure you have a plentiful supply of yellow stuff in your inventory to replenish them. At first I was afraid of multiple pirates but they're not a problem now.

Ferr986

My ride!

Only 33 slots but I'm doing fine with it. Have all Hyperdrive upgrades, 2 Pulse engine upgrades, 3 shield upgrades and 4 laser upgrades and 15 slots free for stuff. I have no problems against a 15 ship rescue mission.

I wish I could just upgrade slots in my ship. I love the look of mine and it's certainly big enough.

I'm more of a fan of bulky, Serenity/Millennium Falcon-esque ships than anything else and what I have is PERFECT. We'll see if I find something I like.

All ships can have 48 slots, small or big. It's just a matter of what you currently have.

Alebrije

You can land on a planet whilst engaged in a fight. However your pulse drive will go offline (jammed by enemies) so unless you're very close to the planet running won't be an option. Just upgrade your shields and make sure you have a plentiful supply of yellow stuff in your inventory to replenish them. At first I was afraid of multiple pirates but they're not a problem now.

OK thanks , that is good

SnowDrops

I see you found the gravitino ball plants.

Yup, and it totally unexpectedly turned up in that shot there. I was aligning the view and all of a sudden that thing popped up, I didnt know what it was untill after I took the shots I wanted to take and reenabled the HUD. What a surprise that was. (But I didn't even take the Gravitino, I simply dont need the money)

The solar system thing was a huge kick to the face. I imagined standing on a planet at night, looking up at the stars and saying "I'm going to that one next." As far as I can tell the stars that "rotate" are generic backdrops like the star in the system. Games 30 years ago had rotating planets on computers with the power of a modern day Timex watch.

For a game about exploration they don't give much incentive to do it. There's nothing rare to find on any planet. "Oh I found one of 100 crashed ships on the planet."

The most difficult thing is fiddling with your inventory.

I've got a lot of hours out of the game but at the same time it's been a big letdown compared to how it was talked about (by the devs) and shown, leading up to release.

About the solar system aspect:
From the start they clearly said they were after a Sci fi book cover approach with planets looming large in the skies of each other.
This is incompatible with the realistic solar system approach.
Look at how big Jupiter is in the Earth's sky. It's a bright dot.

If you want a more realistic 'solar system' simulator approach, currently Elite Dangerous is the game you want.

NMS is straight up trying to replicate the vistas you would see on Sci-fi books 30+ years ago. I would argue they have largely succeeded in achieving this goal.

Criticisms about the quiet disappearance of some features that were widely touted earlier in development are fair though (asteroid landings etc). They should have been more upfront about what hadn't made it into the final game.

I also agree that there should have been more rare or unique stuff to find. And more potential variation in buildings etc. Although, in fairness, whether my sampling of around 25 planets is enough to make an authoritative statement is obviously debatable. I still find new things I haven't seen before.

I often think they should have increased the size of the team to help achieve this somewhat. Even another five or six people could have had a huge impact on the amount of things to actually see and possibly resulted in less features being chopped.

Still, I've really enjoyed messing about in NMS. Its been a good stress reliever (apart from the crashes!) and I've clocked up loads of hours.

How? If walking around takes 6 hours, it can't be a circumference of 320 km. It would be 10/15/20km. 1,250km^2
Pathfinding on the walk ETA could be wrong.
It could be telling you a straight line, or following the surface for a short while and then cutting a chord. Or even describing a great circle (though that seems very unlikely).

If quaz51 says he measured something, it's probably a pretty good measurement. That estimate also fits the visual appearance. If half the circumference could be covered in 6 hours, diameter would be very small indeed. Just boosting vertically with the jetpack would reveal the planet's limb.

A ~640km walk to circumnavigate is far smaller than the major planets, but could fall in the dwarf planet range. And it would likely take days to walk around.

I'm a few stations down the Atlas trail.

Weird thing is, there were 2 systems between Atlas station 2 and 3 where another player had been there first and named and claimed the system. It was kind of a weird shock knowing that someone had definitely been there a couple of days before me. Then our trails must have diverged and I was back to lots of unknown systems.

I wish they maintained the differences in ship sizes in relation to performance as far as maneuverability. Right now its just about slots and aesthetics. I would totally rock a tiny nimble ship with 15 slots and make it work.

Agree to an extent, though the Millenium Falcon was pretty maneuverable with its "special modifications" and that felt believable. I do wish ships were realistic in terms of their cargo slots. Right now a fighter the size of an X-Wing can have cargo holds the size of the Falcon. Silly. NMS may be sci-fi, but it should still be grounded in its own set of rules from which players can attach their immersion to.

From the start they clearly said they were after a Sci fi book cover approach with planets looming large in the skies of each other.

If you want a more realistic 'solar system' simulator approach, currently Elite Dangerous is the game you want.

NMS is straight up trying to replicate the vistas you would see on Sci-fi books 30+ years ago. I would argue they have largely succeeded in achieving this goal.

Sean was clear in previews that NMS star systems would act realistically – planets would rotate on their axes and this would cause the day/night cycle, and the planets would orbit around their star. Planets that are closer to their stars will be affected by the heat, and creatures will look different based on that. All of that was taken out of the game, or never existed.

The "big/multiple planets in the sky" problem could've been solved by just giving planets many moons and putting them close to their planets. Distances between realistically-orbiting planets could've been solved by making pulse jumping faster. All of those were solvable problems that didn't need to result in the solution we were given. But that's water under the bridge at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Septimius

Pathfinding on the walk ETA could be wrong.
It could be telling you a straight line, or following the surface for a short while and then cutting a chord. Or even describing a great circle (though that seems very unlikely).

If quaz51 says he measured something, it's probably a pretty good measurement. That estimate also fits the visual appearance. If half the circumference could be covered in 6 hours, diameter would be very small indeed. Just boosting vertically with the jetpack would reveal the planet's limb.

A ~640km walk to circumnavigate is far smaller than the major planets, but could fall in the dwarf planet range. And it would likely take days to walk around.

I don't know quaz51, so I'm not trying to discredit a trusted source. Just wondering how it was measured. Also, if you're say 20 minutes away from something, the curvature starts to play a big part in icon placement. With a 60 hour walk time, something would have to be hours away for that to happen, which isn't very consistent with observations.

Mindlog

Alright, where's the Omegon?
I got giant stacks of it from recycling ship parts.

I knew this was going to happen. I found my first 48 slot ship. Wasn't going to be my forever ship, but I upgraded everything because I thought it would take a while before I found something better.

The very next ship was a mini Tie Fighter with the cockpit style I like.
The very next ship is the cockpit I like in the Bobba Fett configuration.
Probably going to have to upgrade all over again. I've had huge ships, but this might be the one.

Bonus. The F- You lookin at?
The creature pictured is an infant.

Sean was clear in previews that NMS star systems would act realistically – planets would rotate on their axes and this would cause the day/night cycle, and the planets would orbit around their star. Planets that are closer to their stars will be affected by the heat, and creatures will look different based on that. All of that was taken out of the game, or never existed.

The "big/multiple planets in the sky" problem could've been solved by just giving planets many moons and putting them close to their planets. Distances between realistically-orbiting planets could've been solved by making pulse jumping faster. All of those were solvable problems that didn't need to result in the solution we were given. But that's water under the bridge at this point. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Can't disagree with that really and those solutions would have worked to some extent.
I don't think realistic orbital mechanics are essential if you are actually trying to do a Sci fi book cover simulator though. I don't particularly care that they aren't there but I agree they should have been clearer about what had changed from earlier in development.

When Elite Dangerous eventually gets released on PS4 I'll use that for my 'isnt space scientifically amazing' thrills.
To me, they can be two quite separate things, and I'm somewhat glad they are.

You could get those SciFi book covers easily with massive planets with huge moons in a setup that would work with proper physics simulations (and if the SciFi book cover is the goal, where are the ringed planets, like Saturn?). Those skies being possible only in some very rare planets would have the benefit of being something special, that everyone would cherish more than the planet overdose you'll get in any NMS landscape shot.

They also could have developed some photo mode, or a landscape telescope thingy which you could use to see in perspective and totally out of scale, a random solar system, making your vistas this way. This tool could even be more complex, working as some kind of map: you press down for a bit to get the star map view, press it again and you'll see your solar system, and again to zoom down into the current planet - again, out of scale so you can see everything and take some shots.

The inacuratelly simulation of planets, orbits and everything else kicks me in the face every time I see four to five huge planets close to each other, such a let down =/

What's the status on the hyperdrive glitch at this time? Has it been patched?

I am up to the part where they tell me to build fuel cells for it or whatever. Does that mean I have the blueprint and it is safe to use the preorder ship? Or should I spent the 40,000 to buy the materials in the marketplace and fully complete this quest first?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know?

Can't disagree with that really and those solutions would have worked to some extent.
I don't think realistic orbital mechanics are essential if you are actually trying to do a Sci fi book cover simulator though. I don't particularly care that they aren't there but I agree they should have been clearer about what had changed from earlier in development.

Sure, this game was never meant to be Kerbal Space Program, but I expected (and was led to expect) star systems that look like a star system, with planets orbiting the star, and moons orbiting their planets, and planets distributed in some semi-realistic fashion. In other words, to borrow a mantra from DICE, the star systems should have the authenticity of space, if not the realism. Your average Joe and Jane knows what our solar system looks like and expects to see that rendered and mechanically moving in some convincing fashion. I agree that communication was an issue, but that doesn't really resolve the problem with the star systems as they currently exist. I know that you may not care about them, but plenty of us do. I hope that Hello will eventually take another pass at this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mindlog

What's the status on the hyperdrive glitch at this time? Has it been patched?

I am up to the part where they tell me to build fuel cells for it or whatever. Does that mean I have the blueprint and it is safe to use the preorder ship? Or should I spent the 40,000 to buy the materials in the marketplace and fully complete this quest first?

Thanks in advance.
You are going to have to build the fuel cells either way. Just don't put them in the warp drive. That sounds like the same time I picked up my pre-order ship, but I can't say for certain.

I would probably build the cells and continue that quest. until you see the warp drive in your ship just to be certain.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Soooo trees and grass along with zinc plutonium and others can be in cave systems. will post screenshots later.

Also caves you make can be populated with said things

You could get those SciFi book covers easily with massive planets with huge moons in a setup that would work with proper physics simulations (and if the SciFi book cover is the goal, where are the ringed planets, like Saturn?). Those skies being possible only in some very rare planets would have the benefit of being something special, that everyone would cherish more than the planet overdose you'll get in any NMS landscape shot.

They also could have developed some photo mode, or a landscape telescope thingy which you could use to see in perspective and totally out of scale, a random solar system, making your vistas this way. This tool could even be more complex, working as some kind of map: you press down for a bit to get the star map view, press it again and you'll see your solar system, and again to zoom down into the current planet - again, out of scale so you can see everything and take some shots.

The inacuratelly simulation of planets, orbits and everything else kicks me in the face every time I see four to five huge planets close to each other, such a let down =/

If you're that bothered about orbital simulation and honestly feel NMS hasn't really achieved it's aim of a Sci Fi book approach then I think Elite is the game you should be playing.
I never really expected much in the way of scientific realism from NMS and I don't believe it's particularly necessary.
Having the next planet in the system appear as a tiny dot that just takes a little bit longer to jump towards doesn't really add anything to a game that's all about being able to quickly land on varied planets and hop from one to another.
I'm not saying it's bad or it can't work. It does in Elite. That game has a more serious scientific tone though. I just don't see it being a big loss to NMS.

I'd rather they added the planetary rings you mentioned, to he honest, as that would add to the Sci Fi book cover tone.

Criticisms about the quiet disappearance of some features that were widely touted earlier in development are fair though (asteroid landings etc). They should have been more upfront about what hadn't made it into the final game.

I also agree that there should have been more rare or unique stuff to find. And more potential variation in buildings etc. Although, in fairness, whether my sampling of around 25 planets is enough to make an authoritative statement is obviously debatable. I still find new things I haven't seen before.

I often think they should have increased the size of the team to help achieve this somewhat. Even another five or six people could have had a huge impact on the amount of things to actually see and possibly resulted in less features being chopped.

Still, I've really enjoyed messing about in NMS. Its been a good stress reliever (apart from the crashes!) and I've clocked up loads of hours.

Yeah about that.. From The Atlantic article February 18th of this year.

“The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. If there is a day to night cycle, it happens because they are slowly transitioning between a series of different boxes.” The skybox is also a barrier beyond which the player can never pass. The stars are merely points of light. In No Man’s Sky however, every star is a place that you can go. The universe is infinite. The edges extend out into a lifeless abyss that you can plunge into forever.

“With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that. We have people that will fly down from a space station onto a planet and when they fly back up, the station isn't there anymore; the planet has rotated. People have filed that as a bug.”

Ok, so I just found a "Grave" with lots of materials.

Now I know that graves are to recover lost inventory when we die but...I havent died once on this planet!

Bug? Or...hidden...MP...features??

Top Bottom