• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I'm pleasantly surprised with how well this game runs on my old PC.

With a 2011 i5 and a 1GB 560Ti I'm getting a steady 30FPS at 1280x720. That probably doesn't sound impressive, but it's good considering I've been putting off upgrading for a few years now.
It only drops to 25FPS flying over planets as the surface generates in but I can deal with that. It happens on my PS4 version too.

Arguably looks better than the PS4 version for me too since I can turn off all the post processing screen effects for a very clean picture.
I can't recommend the mod for that enough.

I'm worried about my stuff and how it's saved. It may seem stupid to some people but I put great thought and effort into naming systems, planets, flora, fauna and, yes, even landmarks to give both my planets some personal touch and personality. Also to make them feel more homey. Arguably my favorite thing about the game at the moment aside from the vistas.

I also pay attention to upload during a healthy server status. So far not much has been compromised. That said, I've heard people getting their stuff overwriten, some of my waymarks have reverted to default names and the 2-3 systems I've visited that have already been discovered all have default names for everything. Some planets are even discovered but have nothing in their discovery list (flora, fauna, landmarks...). I dunno if they didn't bother or stuff didn't go through.

So I'd be really bummed if something happened to my discoveries.

noomi

Hey is there a tech guide somewhere? I would love to know what ship tech exists and which blueprint I am missing.

Embearded

Just picked up 3
Atlas Stones from the same Atlas station. Is that normal? Flying in and out again once the marker appears.
It's my first Atlas system as I did tons of other stuff before.
If I continue to collect the 10 stones, would that mess up the quest progression like missing out on some story beats?

SPOILERS ABOUT ATLAS STONES.

I don't think so because i've seen traders selling Atlas Stones.So visiting Atlas Interface isn't the only way to get them.

Baalzebup

Hey is there a tech guide somewhere? I would love to know what ship tech exists and which blueprint I am missing.

There are basically Sigma, Tau and Theta upgrades for every piece of ship tech, which include
  • Shield upgrade
  • Phase Beam Damage
  • Phase Beam Heat Management
  • Warp Drive upgrade
  • Pulse Drive upgrade
  • Photon Cannon Damage
  • Photon Cannon Fire-rate
  • Photon Cannon Heat Management
The Pulse Drives Theta upgrade is named The Photonix Drive or something like that. No upgrades for Landing Gear.

I've visited that have already been discovered all have default names for everything. Some planets are even discovered but have nothing in their discovery list (flora, fauna, landmarks...). I dunno if they didn't bother or stuff didn't go through.

So I'd be really bummed if something happened to my discoveries.

Personally, I hardly ever bother naming stuff anymore. So it's possible that other explorers are like me and don't care enough like you do.

Garuda1One

sorry if this has been asked before

is the jetpack upgrade really need to be side by side with the jetpack ? i dont have empty slot beside it

IvanJ

Banned
Personally, I hardly ever bother naming stuff anymore. So it's possible that other explorers are like me and don't care enough like you do.
Yeah, I press square to get cash, but don't really care about names much.
I name my systems "Warp #", just so I can keep track of how many warps it will eventually take me to get to the center. I used to name planets to show their properties, but got bored of it.

sorry if this has been asked before

is the jetpack upgrade really need to be side by side with the jetpack ? i dont have empty slot beside it

No. But it is advised to slot all three upgrades next to each other.

Can you only see later upgrades once you've created the tier before it? I keep getting blueprints for a warp drive (forget which one) that says I've already learned it, but it doesn't show up in the crafting menu at all and I haven't built it. Though I do have another warp drive schematic in there that I also haven't built yet.

I had the same thing happen to me with a life support upgrade as well.

SPOILERS ABOUT ATLAS STONES.

I don't think so because i've seen traders selling Atlas Stones.So visiting Atlas Interface isn't the only way to get them.

Yeah i saw them even in my first system for sale.
But could I just get the
10 stones now via this bug (?) and just bring them to wherever instead of visiting 10 different Atlas systems? Without missing something? Are the Atlas stations always the same or will they trigger new stuff, e.g atlas pass etc

mandiller

I know we have a photo thread, but I just wanted to share this planet I've found. It's a lush world that had a red sky when I landed in darkness and as the sun rose the sky went orange. It was really beautiful to see. I landed, turned off the HUD and started exploring. There are few games have this sort of appeal to me.

i9CM581.jpg

CfNiKYb.jpg

vUPmFUA.jpg

I put more photos of the planet in a gallery

Septimius

Can you only see later upgrades once you've created the tier before it? I keep getting blueprints for a warp drive (forget which one) that says I've already learned it, but it doesn't show up in the crafting menu at all and I haven't built it. Though I do have another warp drive schematic in there that I also haven't built yet.

I just think it's a bug, though it might be what happens with warp drives. You don't have to build the previous one to get the next. It just happens, so just keep at it, and you'll get it :)

So I've maxed out my multi tool and my exosuit slots and filled them with the best technology (just need some omegon to upgrade my jetpack) so it's now ship time. And this is together with constant motion towards the centre of the galaxy. Which is taking aaaagggesssss even when using black holes. A solid day of playing only gets me about 10,000 light years closer, mind you I've been focused on gathering materials so i can install the best technology. I'm still about 150,000 light years from the centre...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What do you do with the exclamation marks in space?

Flew to one, nothing happened, just flew past, turned round came back, same again.

Birathen

What do you do with the exclamation marks in space?

Flew to one, nothing happened, just flew past, turned round came back, same again.

I think those are usually distress calls. Those Big haulers nearby are probably under attack.

Edit: the bandits usually wont attack you unless you fire on them first.

Elandyll

Banned

It took me a while to figure out what was happening, but once installed a Blueprint is removed from the list.
Consider the list as "available to install right now" rather than a list of everything you know.

Baalzebup

It took me a while to figure out what was happening, but once installed a Blueprint is removed from the list.
Consider the list as "available to install right now" rather than a list of everything you know.

You're missing the
but it doesn't show up in the crafting menu at all and I haven't built it.
part.

And what is actually happening is this. Keep going, keep playing. You'll get 'em elsewhere.

noomi

There are basically Sigma, Tau and Theta upgrades for every piece of ship tech, which include
  • Shield upgrade
  • Phase Beam Damage
  • Phase Beam Heat Management
  • Warp Drive upgrade
  • Pulse Drive upgrade
  • Photon Cannon Damage
  • Photon Cannon Fire-rate
  • Photon Cannon Heat Management
The Pulse Drives Theta upgrade is named The Photonix Drive or something like that. No upgrades for Landing Gear.

Thank you so much, saving your post :)

I was mostly curious about the theta pulse drive because I never got it (do have the photonix drive though)

No it was from a terminal in a manufacturing facility. I don't know if that was the only time it happened, but it was one that I noticed cause it was someone I wanted to make.

Very weird... blueprints seem messed up in a lot of different ways. Just last night I started finding blueprints for basic components like Launch Thruster and Life Support that you can't even remove from your exosuit or ship. So I have no idea what's going on.

I somewhat reluctantly tried the game (since I bought the Limited Edition for $68 I almost decided to just return it) and have to say it's pretty good so far. There's obviously a lot of areas that it could be better, but overall it's still quite enjoyable imo. I really hope they continue to support it with updates and DLC.

The best part is my young son is (I believe) mildly autistic and he's loving it. Usually every day he wakes up and wants to play or watch Minecraft. Instead the last couple days have been all NMS. So that alone is worth the $68 to me.

kavanf1

Hi NMS-GAF, I've been lazy and haven't kept up with the thread, but I know early on people were having a very hit and miss experience on the PC version. Does anyone know if things have stabilised to the point where the game can be enjoyed or if I should hold off a bit yet? Or maybe just go for the PS4 version and forget about PC hassles?

Zafir

Hi NMS-GAF, I've been lazy and haven't kept up with the thread, but I know early on people were having a very hit and miss experience on the PC version. Does anyone know if things have stabilised to the point where the game can be enjoyed or if I should hold off a bit yet? Or maybe just go for the PS4 version and forget about PC hassles?

It's kind of hit and miss.

I didn't have many problems on release, but after the latest patch my performance has actually gotten worse. Random stutters, frame rate not being as high as it was(it was 50-60fps before, now it's 30-40).

On the other hand I've seen people who had issues on launch and it seems to be running better for them now.

GeeTeeCee

The planet I found that was filled with Sac Venom is also rich with Vortex Cubes and pillars of Gold.

Looks like I'm staying here a while.

Nameless

Any tips for finding a better looking 48 slotter? At no point while grinding from 34 slots to searching a couple of planets after hitting 48 have I come across a 'fighter' model. Maybe star type factors into ship generation?

Any tips for finding a better looking 48 slotter? At no point while grinding from 34 slots to searching a couple of planets after hitting 48 have I come across a 'fighter' model. Maybe star type factors into ship generation?
Yeah switch star systems for a new roll. You'll get a lot of the same type ships if only only stick to one system; I think their is a limitation to a certain number of ship variations per system

kavanf1

It's kind of hit and miss.

I didn't have many problems on release, but after the latest patch my performance has actually gotten worse. Random stutters, frame rate not being as high as it was(it was 50-60fps before, now it's 30-40).

On the other hand I've seen people who had issues on launch and it seems to be running better for them now.

Thanks, I'll hold off for now. Am going through a bit of a gaming lull at the moment anyway so not desperate to play despite following the game for about three years.

I hope they fix the constant crashing when you go into the options menu. It's such a pain.

There is a way to make sure it doesn't crash. When you hit start, make you sure you wait a second for everything to load before you do anything else.

It crashes when you try to exit out or do something else too quickly before the menu has a chance to load properly.

You can make it crash at will by just pausing and then immediately hitting circle. That seems to be what causes it.

Zafir

Yeah switch star systems for a new roll. You'll get a lot of the same type ships if only only stick to one system; I think their is a limitation to a certain number of ship variations per system
Yeah I think someone threw around the number 10 or so.

It's worth just standing around in the space station looking at what ships come in - since those are the designs which you'll likely find on the planets.

Just gonna reiterate here for people that are having a hard time finding certain resources and components, that you can go to manufacturing plants and operation centers to get formulas to craft them. For example: Suspension fluid, electron vapor, anti matter, etc. Hope this helps cause I'm seeing alot of people in here not knowing what to do or where to go. Also you find these places by using a bypass chip to those orange waypoint beacons and selecting "colonial outpost", if that needs to be said.

Jharp

So if I want to "finish" the game, should I tell the
anomaly
to send me
back to the Atlas path or to a blackhole to get me closer to the galactic core
?

Embearded

Yeah i saw them even in my first system for sale.
But could I just get the
10 stones now via this bug (?) and just bring them to wherever instead of visiting 10 different Atlas systems? Without missing something? Are the Atlas stations always the same or will they trigger new stuff, e.g atlas pass etc

You always get a couple of blueprints and the text is different so there is good reason to go after them.

I won't be playing the game again until they fix major bugs and change critical mechanisms like the galactic waypoint and the blueprint system.

The crafting system is a huge letdown too...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So if I want to "finish" the game, should I tell the
anomaly
to send me
back to the Atlas path or to a blackhole to get me closer to the galactic core
?

Neither are a particularly good way to 'finish' the game in my opinion. Altas path is more of a questline (the game just continues on once it's finished) and the galactic core is more of a motivating goal if you need it. If you want to 'finish' the game in one way I would recommend trying to do all the milestones (platinum trophy on PS4). Otherwise just explore until you feel satisfied.

Top Bottom