• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Grind Colonial Outposts via Signal Scanners and be prepared to do it for a long time.

This is the worst part of the game for me. I've been staring at locked v2 doors for 40 hours of playtime. Grinding out Colonial Outposts is the worst.

The Atlas Path is half-baked. The fact that it was part of the day one patch says a lot. This game needed another year in the oven.

N° 2048

This is the worst part of the game for me. I've been staring at locked v2 doors for 40 hours of playtime. Grinding out Colonial Outposts is the worst.

The Atlas Path is half-baked. The fact that it was part of the day one patch says a lot. This game needed another year in the oven.

Completely agree. I burnt myself out after 50 hours. Atlas Path + Center is a joke.

TyrantII

Completely agree. I burnt myself out after 50 hours. Atlas Path + Center is a joke.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Sounds like you picked a terrible journey.

I think it needs to be repeated, if you're b-lining it for the end game at the center, you are probably playing this game wrong.

I have no urge to get there quick, and instead I am mapping out my local group fully. Once that's done, I might actually turn my ship around and see If I can reach the edge of the galaxy.

Scrooged

I think it needs to be repeated, if you're b-lining it for the end game at the center, you are probably playing this game wrong.

I have no urge to get there quick, and instead I am mapping out my local group fully. Once that's done, I might actually turn my ship around and see If I can reach the edge of the galaxy.

The journey is filled with the same outposts with the same locked doors, whether you're at the center or the edge of the galaxy.

I don't think it's a spoiler to ask this... how can I find a Space Anomaly again if I'm not on the Atlas Path? I've already found one of them this run.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

I agree totally. There's lots of fun to be had in this game but you'll miss all if it trying to grind your way to something, doesn't matter if it's the centre or an Atlas Pass or whatever. There's actually always something new to see or do, grinding of any kind isn't going to be worthwhile.

However, I have to concede the game doesn't do a great job of communicating this. I can see why people feel like grinding out an 'ending' of some kind is the point of the game when it isn't. The game throws all these locked doors in people faces for example even though grinding for the pass to open them isn't going to be satisfying. It also makes it sound as if reaching the centre is a primary goal despite there being no way to do that but an unsatisfying grind.

So, if you want to have fun in this game I would recommend trying to set your own goals. There really is a lot of really amazing experiences to be had forging your own goals. It's a shame the game doesn't have a great way to communicate that though and can kind of reinforce people's desire to grind out some sort of definitive 'end'.

N° 2048

I wasn't b-lining it. I actually enjoyed the journey alot.

I just said the Atlas Path + Center is a joke and I burnt myself out on this game fast.

Scrooged

Getting a v2 or v3 key should be a valid goal. The implementation of blueprints makes it incredibly frustrating though. Like I said, it's half baked. There are signs everywhere that many systems in the game are simply unfinished. I'd like to believe that they had a more fleshed out Atlas Path experience planned, but had to go with what they had finished at release. It was added as part of the day one patch. It's kinda crazy really.

my prayers were answered, i found a gek planet with full of good stuff in it. specially them vortex cubes, from 800K to 3M in a couple of hours (ive been upgrading stuff along the road)

switched my DLC ship (fucking finally) for a very cheap 24 slot ugly as sin ship. now i just need to find copper to do some serious upgrades in my gear

I'm not even going for the center or the atlas path. I'm just jumping from system to system until I find a planet my character can settle. Then I'm done. :Lol

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Getting a v2 or v3 key should be a valid goal. The implementation of blueprints makes it incredibly frustrating though. Like I said, it's half baked. There are signs everywhere that many systems in the game are simply unfinished. I'd like to believe that they had a more fleshed out Atlas Path experience planned, but had to go with what they had finished at release. It was added as part of the day one patch. It's kinda crazy really.

It's possible there was something lager planned but I'm not sure. I think some of it was not anticipating people grinding this stuff out. They don't do anything amazing so I wonder if they were just supposed to be sort of random, a special surprise to talk about.

Stuff like the bonus for upgrades being connected make people frustrated about not being able to move upgrades, but again, the bonus is small and not meaningful. I think some of these things are supposed to be 'nice if you get it but don't worry if you don't' but people feel like they're missing out if they can't do it so it frustrates them.

From a game design perspective I find this game fascinating, it'll be interesting to see how they respond to players now there are millions of them.

SnowDrops

I got all 3 Atlas Pass blueprints from the
NPCs in the anomaly

Also, I finally found a nice looking, greenish, lush Planet, but it's constantly raining and has freezing cold rainstorms too. Oh well.
I'm still staying here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I got all 3 Atlas Pass blueprints from the
NPCs in the anomaly

Also, I finally found a nice looking, greenish, lush Planet, but it's constantly raining and has freezing cold rainstorms too. Oh well.
I'm still staying here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can I ask
how many times you visited the anomaly?
I actually always wondered if that was the 'proper' way to get them.

Haemi

Do this planets covered in gras exist on the ps4? Never been on a planet with more than some small gras patches.
And why do almost all creatures have to be yellow/light brown/beige?

SnowDrops

Can I ask
how many times you visited the anomaly?
I actually always wondered if that was the 'proper' way to get them.

Must have been atleast 10 to times now. Got v3 for
giving Polo the Data about Extreme Survival 8 Milestone, also Nada has had nothing to tell me (same Dialogue about reaching the center and him going back to the Korvax now) for a while now.

Mashing

Should I dismantle all my good upgrades prior to purchasing a new ship (this would be the 2nd upgrade ship using the guide posted here)?

TyrantII

Do this planets covered in gras exist on the ps4? Never been on a planet with more than some small gras patches.
And why do almost all creatures have to be yellow/light brown/beige?

Sure do. I found a planet that was just blue Grass with the occasional lake at a low point and a red grass planet with mountains, canyons, and rivers

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Must have been atleast 10 to times now. Got v3 for
giving Polo the Data about Extreme Survival 8 Milestone, also Nada has had nothing to tell me (same Dialogue about reaching the center and him going back to the Korvax now) for a while now.

Hmmmm that's interesting. I wonder if that is the correct way to do it.
I did the Atlas path and then they only showed up randomly twice more after that. I actually wish I could've run into them more often but only saw them three times.

After 20 hours I think I've gotta give up. Atlus path got completed, and I don't think I can handle the monotony of random black hole jumps that take me to places not necessarily helpful, all the while my ship keeps breaking and I can't find the materials to fix it. I know I should work to obtain my goals of a bigger ship and fat stacks of cash, but it's just not fun anymore. Might jump in if a patch looks particularly interesting but I'm not holding my breath.

SnowDrops

Hmmmm that's interesting. I wonder if that is the correct way to do it.
I did the Atlas path and then they only showed up randomly twice more after that. I actually wish I could've run into them more often but only saw them three times.

I had them show up every once in a while in random systems, not even being present from the time I arrived there. Sometimes they showed up after I landed on some Planets and explored for a little while.

Also (ending Spoiler)
they still show up in the new galaxy for me, at random times. And Polo still has new dialogue and wants new Data, last thing he asked for was Warping Milestone 10

Septimius

Here's what you find behind v2 and v3 doors:
basically absolutely nothing. It's basically just empty rooms with a couple of green loots sometimes. One certain outpost type actually does have exosuit upgrades behind a v2/3 door, but other than that, I recent having spent that much time getting a completely useless pass

Scrooged

Here's what you find behind v2 and v3 doors:
basically absolutely nothing. It's basically just empty rooms with a couple of green loots sometimes. One certain outpost type actually does have exosuit upgrades behind a v2/3 door, but other than that, I recent having spent that much time getting a completely useless pass

Guess I'll just stop grinding. Thanks.

I kind of expected some super rare and/or bizarre discoveries to start showing up here and on Reddit, but it's really a bummer that it seems that stuff just isn't in the game. I keep going from system to system hoping against hope that I'll stumble upon something interesting, but I think I might be burning out on the game.

Maybe I'll put it down for a while and wait for some updates.

Haunted

Should I dismantle all my good upgrades prior to purchasing a new ship (this would be the 2nd upgrade ship using the guide posted here)?
You should dismantle everything you can't transfer from your old ship or it'll be gone, essentially.

putermcgee

So this weird thing happened to me he other day. I left a space station after about an hour or so of trading, and started flying towards a new planet in the system I've been hanging out in. As I started activating my pulse drive, there were notifications of hostile ships in the area, or approaching. I thought, "good riddance" as I made my way towards my destination. But then the space battle music started up, and my ship's pulse drive deactivated. One pirate was in the area, and I shot it down, but the music kept on, and the screen said there was still one more pirate. The problem was, when I maneuvered around to face it, there was nothing inside the crosshairs but the space station I had left, noting a 1 hour travel time (since I had pulsed out already).

It seems like what happened was that the pirate sequence triggered as I was leaving that area, and the game didn't register the fact that I was in the clear. I faced back towards the planet I was flying to, but it was hours away too. I couldn't activate my pulse drive either, because the game still thought I was near the pirates. After about five minutes of flying back towards the space station, I turned off the game. I wasn't about to sit around with my thumb on the circle button for an hour, so I figured I'd reload the game and start back from the last save point.

Then I reloaded, and realized the last save was back on the space station, BEFORE I had made any of my trades. It's not enough to ruin the experience, but still a frustrating loss of time.

Wonder if it's the patch that will kill the dupe glitch.

vader.jpg

mokeyjoe

Yeah, the Atlas Path basically tells you repeatedly not to go following set objectives. It is, pretty literally, a joke.

As for that last point, I was thinking of doing this myself, but I've never found anyone posting that they actually tried it. How far out can you get?

Top Bottom