• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

sandkiller

From Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/275850/announcements/detail/815536402964769667

Maybe this is patch #3 below?

Patch 2
For patch 2 our focus was on the most reported bugs or crashes. Our aim was to improve stability, and make sure player’s saves are safe in future.

Stuck under the world
It was possible for players to save their game stuck under the terrain, leaving them stuck. This was caused by getting shot down in atmosphere, and their ship reaching ridiculous speeds as it crashed to the planet. This has been resolved.
Whilst it won't happen anymore, if you are currently already stuck under the world, we detect this and do our best to rescue you.

Crash after warping
Occasionally at random the game would lock up after a warp, or return to desktop. This was due to very specific timing in hardware (a threading specific bug) – meaning that unfortunately for some people it was regular, and for others they would never be able to recreate it. This was our most reported crash during gameplay, and has now been resolved.

Game failing to save until you died
If the player died, and then loaded the game ten times without saving, and then died, player progress wouldn’t be saved from then on until you died again. This is fixed now! This was also causing player’s saves to grow in size.

Crash fixes in scanning
Quite a rare crash, but in certain scenarios it was possible to scan from space or on planet and crash the game.

Crash warping inside a freighter
When warping into a battle sometimes the player warped into the inside of a freighter and everything went crazy :(
This is fixed now.

Patch 3
Patch 3 is targeted at our next most common support requests, fixing the next most common crashes, as well as trying to help players who have become stranded or have corrupted their save files.

Stranded in Space Station
If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.

Loading Corrupted Save Files
Some players have corrupted save files, we’ve been working with them to still load saves even if they are corrupted (this can happen for many reasons outside of the games control). This fix has allowed many players to still load their save even if they have become corrupt on PC.

Crash fixes for next three most commonly reported issues:
- As the player gathers a huge amount of discoveries, there was a threading issue that becomes more prevalent the more discoveries you have, and could cause the game to crash.
- If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
- Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).

I fully upgraded my ship last night and ran into about 10 pirate ships. I decided to run for it to a nearby space station, about 1 minute away. They could barely put a dent in my shields, I guess I can stop moving my valuable stuff to my exosuit when I'm traveling between systems now.

Yeah, the Atlas Path basically tells you repeatedly not to go following set objectives. It is, pretty literally, a joke.

As for that last point, I was thinking of doing this myself, but I've never found anyone posting that they actually tried it. How far out can you get?

The end of the Atlas path was too meta for me.
Like they were saying "you're just a character in a video game!"
I'm not sure if the devs were trying to be philosophical or if it was just a joke.

Trojan

Wow the path to the Galaxy center is definitely a grind. I'm barely making a dent so far with my fully upgraded hyperdrives.

So can people confirm that planets get progressively more bizarre the closer you get to the center? I've enjoyed exploring so far but if the procedural generation isn't going to ramp up on my way to the center I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to make it there....

Embearded

Wow the path to the Galaxy center is definitely a grind. I'm barely making a dent so far with my fully upgraded hyperdrives.

So can people confirm that planets get progressively more bizarre the closer you get to the center? I've enjoyed exploring so far but if the procedural generation isn't going to ramp up on my way to the center I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to make it there....

I am 152000 ly away from the center and it's just like my first system.

SnowDrops

I started getting more of the "clearly mathematical" shapes on planets, like huge square rocks with holes in them and these curved tubes etc.

1.05 update for PS4. What's this?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's kinda rude that Sean doesn't bother with patch notes on the PS4. Not everyone is going to go searching on the internet on PC forums where the patch notes actually are.

Haven't seen anything new in Options, so it must be a bugs-only release. Haven't checked out any planets though, just turned it on real quick.

molnizzle

It's the same all the way to the center.
And after.

First CTD happened just now, after 30 hours or so, landed on a cold planet, polygons started to jump around wildly as new terrain was being generated while walking on foot, the game began to crawl while looking at these areas and just stopped for a couple of seconds and crashed.

N° 2048

Same thing over and over and over and over again.

I'm now about 20,000 light years from the center, and I've definitely seen a lot of weird stuff in the past couple days, things I hadn't seen before. But it's hard to tell if that's because I'm getting closer, or just spending less time on each planet, and seeing more planets, with more chances at weird stuff.

The universe is a big place, I figure even if I only see something once on this journey, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been common for someone else, a hundred thousand light years away.

IvanJ

Banned

The only thing that gets progressively more bizarre is my willingness to keep going, if only 3-4 warp jumps every day.
I hope to arrive to the center by New Years...if at all.

Danlord

Just updated to 1.05 quickly to test the patch, it HAS fixed the discoveries bug that caused me to crash. Not done anything else in the game mysef, I'm still stuck on a barren planet with no zinc. I might go hunting for a trading post tonight.

Found my biggest creature so far last night, 7m tall. Was hard to get him to pose anywhere for scale, but he was about the same height as those Mushroom "trees".

968eadc8d3.jpg

Not really a good idea to get on his bad side....

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
since my graphics card is out this week and i've already been more or less hinted at as to what the center of the galaxy holds, i went ahead and spoiled myself on it.

has anyone said what happens when you get to the center of the new galaxy? do you just discover another one? does everyone discover the galaxies in the same order?

Well I was a big dumb idiot last night and tried to AFK for the The Sentinel (Extreme Survival) trophy. Found a planet with frenzied sentinels and then popped into a shelter, but with only two health upgrades for my life support. Thought I could set my alarm and come back in two hours to refill my health and keep going.

GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY? THAT DID NOT WORK.

I woke up in time but my life support had already failed. It respawned me outside the shelter but everything I was carrying is gone (had a full exosuit's worth of stuff) and now two of my jetpack upgrades need to be repaired with elements I know aren't on this planet. ughhhhh I'm so annoyed with myself right now lol

somme

I kinda wish the undiscovered planets didn't have procedurally generated names. But were instead given designations. Like: P4C-555, MB3-211, etc etc.

N° 2048

I kinda wish the undiscovered planets didn't have procedurally generated names. But were instead given designations. Like: P4C-555, MB3-211, etc etc.

"Undiscovered planets."

Have alien buildings/NPCs
Have names already.
Have ships landing in and out before you get there.

Ok, this is something I don't understand.
I was exploring a planet on foot, trying to 100% it, collect some stuff, enjoy the scenery etc.
When I got all the fauna scanned, I uploaded the lot, collected my reward, gave the planet a name and uploaded that as well.
Went back to my ship, which took about 10 minutes, and left the planet. The moment I entered space the game crashed and I lost all the progress I made on the planet (I forgot to save when I was on there).
The part I don't understand: all the stuff I discovered, named and uploaded was gone as well. The planet was reset so to speak. But shouldn't that be set once you've uploaded it? I had a connection all the time I was playing.

spekkeh

Banned
10 hours in I still have ridiculously few inventory slots. Is there a way to upgrade quickly? And how do you upgrade your ship?

Trojan

I am 152000 ly away from the center and it's just like my first system.

It's the same all the way to the center.
And after.

Same thing over and over and over and over again.

I'm now about 20,000 light years from the center, and I've definitely seen a lot of weird stuff in the past couple days, things I hadn't seen before. But it's hard to tell if that's because I'm getting closer, or just spending less time on each planet, and seeing more planets, with more chances at weird stuff.

The universe is a big place, I figure even if I only see something once on this journey, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been common for someone else, a hundred thousand light years away.

The only thing that gets progressively more bizarre is my willingness to keep going, if only 3-4 warp jumps every day.
I hope to arrive to the center by New Years...if at all.

Well that's disappointing! I know there were mentions from interviews that they tweaked the sliders the closet to the galactic core, but it's that's not correct then I'm very likely not going to make it. I love the exploration from this game but traveling to the center is so laughably long that I need some kind of carrot to complete that journey. And from what I'm hearing about the ending, that isn't good motivation!

Trojan

Well I was a big dumb idiot last night and tried to AFK for the The Sentinel (Extreme Survival) trophy. Found a planet with frenzied sentinels and then popped into a shelter, but with only two health upgrades for my life support. Thought I could set my alarm and come back in two hours to refill my health and keep going.

GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY? THAT DID NOT WORK.

I woke up in time but my life support had already failed. It respawned me outside the shelter but everything I was carrying is gone (had a full exosuit's worth of stuff) and now two of my jetpack upgrades need to be repaired with elements I know aren't on this planet. ughhhhh I'm so annoyed with myself right now lol

That trophy requires you to not die the entire time?! That's insane.

I actually died while playing last night to see what happened during a 5-star wanted level (spoiler: they throw multiple walkers at you). I died and then immediately reloaded my previous save, only to find that the gravestone was still there in my save and it doubled my inventory. I sold those 10 extra Atlus stones immediately, I'm sure people already know about this glitch?

Septimius

That trophy requires you to not die the entire time?! That's insane.

I actually died while playing last night to see what happened during a 5-star wanted level (spoiler: they throw multiple walkers at you). I died and then immediately reloaded my previous save, only to find that the gravestone was still there in my save and it doubled my inventory. I sold those 10 extra Atlus stones immediately, I'm sure people already know about this glitch?

That's the dupe glitch.

Wok

I was exploring a planet on foot, trying to 100% it, collect some stuff, enjoy the scenery etc.
When I got all the fauna scanned, I uploaded the lot, collected my reward, gave the planet a name and uploaded that as well.
Went back to my ship, which took about 10 minutes, and left the planet. The moment I entered space the game crashed and I lost all the progress I made on the planet (I forgot to save when I was on there).
The part I don't understand: all the stuff I discovered, named and uploaded was gone as well. The planet was reset so to speak. But shouldn't that be set once you've uploaded it? I had a connection all the time I was playing.

This happens to me all the time. I find it pretty disconcerting so to speak.

tchocky

10 hours in I still have ridiculously few inventory slots. Is there a way to upgrade quickly? And how do you upgrade your ship?

To upgrade your suit you have to find drop pods which you buy an extra slot from the price will increase by 10,000 each time. To find pods use the beacons that require mod chips and search for shelter.

To get more ship slots you either have to buy a new ship at a trading post/space station or find crashed ships. All crashed ships will be either one slot bigger or one slot smaller than what you currently have. Use the beacon and search for shelter if it finds a transmission tower go to that do a puzzle and that will lead you to the ship.

Yibby

Well that's disappointing! I know there were mentions from interviews that they tweaked the sliders the closet to the galactic core, but it's that's not correct then I'm very likely not going to make it. I love the exploration from this game but traveling to the center is so laughably long that I need some kind of carrot to complete that journey. And from what I'm hearing about the ending, that isn't good motivation!

I got the last warp engine upgrade today and i'm still 150k light years from the center. So i have to do another ~106 jumps = 106 warp cores to grind.. yeah i gave up.

IvanJ

Banned

My guess is that it is somewhere in the cloud :) but your local save does not know it. So on your console you reverted to the pre-upload state, but if somebody else visits the planet, they pull info off the server and will see all your discoveries.

My game only crashed twice in most benign places, but I always make it a habit to enter the ship, then exit to save, then re-enter and take off.

I'm going to take a guess and attribute it to you not saving after you "uploaded" your discoveries. Everytime I have seen this and issues where a discovery or planet is immediately renamed by another user, the person that brings it up does not mentioned that they saved after the fact.

Again, this is all antadotal.

My guess is that it is somewhere in the cloud :) but your local save does not know it. So on your console you reverted to the pre-upload state, but if somebody else visits the planet, they pull info off the server and will see all your discoveries.

My game only crashed twice in most benign places, but I always make it a habit to enter the ship, then exit to save, then re-enter and take off.

I do the same based off my assumption. Better safe than sorry.

Count me as one whos giving up. I've seen everything there is to do in the 20 hours I've put in. Incredibly bored and life is too short and backlog too big to spend more time on this. Will come back one day if other stuff gets added.

"Undiscovered planets."

Have names already.
Yeah, and this is what kills the true discovery vibe. All of the planets are already inhabited, are filled with research structures and trading posts and ships and commerce.

N° 2048

18 quintillion planets. Every single one of them colonised.

Yeah, and this is what kills the true discovery vibe. All of the planets are already inhabited, are filled with research structures and trading posts and ships and commerce.

Would be cool if once you discover a planet, you're somehow responsible for setting up communications, trading, building outposts, etc..
Then it starts populating with NPCs/Trade routes...

I'm going to take a guess and attribute it to you not saving after you "uploaded" your discoveries. Everytime I have seen this and issues where a discovery or planet is immediately renamed by another user, the person that brings it up does not mentioned that they saved after the fact.

Again, this is all antadotal.

I'm usually very strict with saving, but I was having a nice stroll on a very nice planet and totally forgot :)

But I still find it odd. The fact I lost all my loot and the credits I got for uploading the 100% I understand, but if I restart the game and get connected to the servers, it should be visible for me as well as other players that I discovered and named the planet shouldn't it?

HeeHo

Count me as one whos giving up. I've seen everything there is to do in the 20 hours I've put in. Incredibly bored and life is too short and backlog too big to spend more time on this. Will come back one day if other stuff gets added.

I say this to myself all the time and I end up coming back every day just to get a fix. The weird thing is that I am oddly comforted by telling myself this because the grind can become a bit much.

I really want new content though. Especially base-building. Even if there is no real function for it yet, I just want to build it up in the mean time.

Would be cool if once you discover a planet, you're somehow responsible for setting up communications, trading, building outposts, etc..
Then it starts populating with NPCs/Trade routes...

Yeah I think base building would be more fun (immersive?) is if one of the payoffs was populating a section of some barren rock with NPC activity like that.

Landford

Banned
"Undiscovered planets."

Have names already.

This right here is what killed all my will to play. Like, in a second. "Why i am naming and discovering planets that already are fully colonized?"

That and the fact there is nothing to discover. If you run a few meters in ANY direction, the game will spawn something for you. Always. In every planet.

Not sure if it's the update or the moon I'm on but the framerate has been more noticeably sluggish since. Flying through within the atmosphere and talking to NPCs especially.

Clauss

So I just
completed the atlas path and birthed a new star. Pretty neat!
Also, I remember seeing folks on here debating
black hole warp distance. I just did my first one and it warped 105454 light years. I tried to screenshot it, but the stupid critical damage alert cleared it before I could press F10
YMMV I suppose.

So are they just not going to release patch notes for PS4?

Seems kinda ridiculous given how many bugs are in this game that we don't even know what these patches are doing.

As far as I know the only patch notes for PS4 were the day one patch notes that were released just before the game released.

I'm very much enjoying the game still but the more I play the more I come across bugs and problems that just ruin the game.

I'm at 48/47/22 currently for my Exo/Ship/Tool, I just need to find that last ship which I like. I keep coming across hideous and ugly ships. Just give me a sexy 48 slot ship!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Keep getting these Atlas orb things, sell or keep?

I found a great planet. Tons of mjming, sacs and drop pods. I met my first big security dude, I jumped in my ship. I'm going to farm this place for a while. I feel like I want to start heading towards the core, the Atlas path seems useless.

I've seen no bugs, just one crash in about 20 hours.

But I still find it odd. The fact I lost all my loot and the credits I got for uploading the 100% I understand, but if I restart the game and get connected to the servers, it should be visible for me as well as other players that I discovered and named the planet shouldn't it?

Probably what happens is:

- names are generated by the algorithms, they aren't stored anywhere.
- when you name something, it gets saved to memory.
- if you save your game, it makes a note that this planet now has a custom name
- when you upload it, it gets saved on the server.
- if you crash without saving, that local note never got saved. this is all that the game looks for (to enable offline support).

The reason it doesn't save locally when you upload is that you could then save any time you want merely by naming something.

This right here is what killed all my will to play. Like, in a second. "Why i am naming and discovering planets that already are fully colonized?"

That and the fact there is nothing to discover. If you run a few meters in ANY direction, the game will spawn something for you. Always. In every planet.

"My ship crashed on this planet...I have to repair all this stuff and there's no outposts anywhere! I've walked for an hour and nothing! I'm so done with this game!!"

I imagine this game was hellish to try to balance.

The naming thing isn't like you're really "discovering" a world, you're just discovering it for your own race. You're like some space dick Christopher Columbus who doesn't care what the natives named everything.
p.s. I do like somme's idea of just using terse scientific names like MB-2832-B as the default names. Otherwise where did the ship's computer get that name? Does the player secretly have the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

mokeyjoe

I have encountered different weather conditions and more aggressive animals. But that might be due to the patch, or just randomness.

Top Bottom