• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I only really name systems and planets that I find fun, like planet Gravatino Ballerino, Hyper Cube.
I'm still waiting for a system I can call home and name after Dune. Will probably do that after 'bases' are patched in.

Yeah I will continue giving them fun/cool/befitting names but I thought adding a little code (not long/obvious as i should still sound like a planet name) could be useful. If not for other players then at least for myself (although you have the information in your database apart from the elements I guess).

Eh. The only thing that's relevant from space is what minerals you can find, and if there's green ! items. Thus I go:

(Since my PSN is Articate)
Articus <SomeName> !EmAuNi

Denotes there are ! items, and you can find Emeril, Gold and Nickel. It's also pretty self-explanatory. Flora and fauna aren't relevant, since you can find carbon on non-flora planets, and even zinc and platinum, while other barren worlds don't have that, so it's not really a good indicator.

That's probably more efficient and I will adapt your way of using the element symbol. I was thinking about adding all of the elements but as I don't know if I found all of them I just like to put the one that seems to be the most obvious to find.
But my playstyle is a lot about exploring new worlds so I want to still incorporate that into the code (weather, extreme etc.).
Adding your name is redundant though, it will show you as the one who discovered it anyway.

btw what are ! items? Do you mean pearls and such?

A quick google tells me that people did not seem to have organized an official nomenclature which is surprising. So I will just keep using mine.
If you googled "SolidusDave" and No Man's Sky Planets / Nomenclature / code after finding one of my planets, maybe you end up here and this refined legend can be useful for you:

Example: Shiva C'E0_4xEmP

edit: updated: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215421957&postcount=5301

Shiva = whatever I feel like naming the planet
C = cold (H = hot, R = radiation, T = toxic, N = normal). Note that there are variations within (acidic and alkali rains = both toxic etc.)
' = liquid water present as lakes etc (" = oceans / large parts of the surface covered)
E = added when there is extreme weather (L = low atmosphere)
0 = 0-9 scale for Flora (0 = none)
_ = standard or slightly lacking Sentinel level (- = more aggressive/active, / = hostile, . = none/passive)
4 = 0-9 scale for Fauna
Edit: based on number of animals for 100% divided by 2:
0 = none
1 = 1, 2
2 = 3, 4
3 = 5, 6
4 = 7, 8
5 = 9, 10
6 = 11, 12
7 = 13
8 = 14 (max)
9 = 14 and numerous individuals
x = if there is a very cool/big/unusual animal to see (highly subjective of course and obviously depends on if you have seen it while on there)
Em = Emeril (Element code of the seemingly most abundant non-standard element on the planet, not listed are Fe, Zn, Ti, Hr, Pt, C, Th, Pu)
P = Albumen Pearl (G = Gravitino Ball, V = Vortex Cube, S = Sac Venom, A = AquaSphere)

I chose the symbols so that I don't have to go into the symbols part of the PS4 virtual keyboard and can write the code faster.

Not sure yet about naming star systems. Probably include some of the elements on the planets (I think asteroids are more or less the same everywhere?), the species and the sun color.

TheMan

Okay, this game is annoying me.

I had just come from a moon farming Vortex Cubes when pirates were scanning me. I went to a nearby planet that was close and as I was entering the atmosphere, the pirates entered the atmosphere with me. I tried to fight them all, but there were 7/8 of them and I wasn't cut out for destroying them.

They killed me and instead of spawning in the space station, I spawned on the planet next to my ship. Which is broken. Needing Zinc to repair...on a planet that doesn't have any zinc.

Help?

when in a similar situation, i end up walking around until i find a trading terminal and buy some zinc. That usually takes a while, unfortunately.

EVO

Have fun farming 2.5 mill per stone to buy them back.

I accidentally lost one when transferring ships and now I'm farming to buy it back so I can finish the quest.

I got lucky last night and found a Vortex Cube planet. Made 12 million pretty quickly but I couldn't find anyone selling stones. Woke up this morning and I got lucky again, nearly everyone was selling them :)

Today during a ship search I got a Stackable Vortex Cube. Luckly right after I found a planet just like that. I kid you not, full inventory plus 100 of those was a true treasure.

The game can be hard as fuck but sometimes it cheats itself lol.

Stackable Vortex Cube! Sounds like a bug but one worth getting!

LightInfa

Has anyone else learned any Atlas words yet? I just found a monolith that let me learn one word, but I'm not sure if that was just random or if I found some kind of special monolith.

CaLe

Quick questions:

1) My map was showing an Atlas station a few systems away. Prior to going there, I built a Theta warp drive. I don't see any Atlas station in my map anymore. Is this a problem ?

2) I can't seem to be able to find any new blueprints. The last 40 or so that I discovered were all blueprints I already knew. Does the game only give you more advanced blueprints the closer you get to the center ?

3) How do I set a waypoint on PC ?

Has anyone else learned any Atlas words yet? I just found a monolith that let me learn one word, but I'm not sure if that was just random or if I found some kind of special monolith.

Yeah I learned a few. Not sure what it's for though.

Have any of you encountered NPC ships landing at non-landing pads while on planet?

I just encountered an NPC ship taking off from a patch of land that didn't even have a save waypoint, just a crashed probe/device. It caught me so off guard that I botched landing or turning around in time to see where it was going and follow it. It took a good 8-10 seconds to fully turn and come about (operating the ships in NMS with any kind of finesse seems like a non-starter), but it had vanished. Had to be an NPC ship, right? No way it could have been the other player that's been exploring the same system as me, right?

Does anyone know if the patch fixed the bug where the game says you already know recipes you don't? Running into that for one of the warp drive upgrades killed some of my enthusiasm.

It's not a bug, at least not in the way you think it is. If the game is giving you upgrade blueprints for your exosuit or starship from a multi-tool upgrade dispenser, it's doing that in error and you won't get the blueprint. Those dispensers are only supposed to give out multi-tool upgrades and anything else it "tries" to give you won't work. But the other ways that you can get exosuit and starship blueprints work just fine.

molnizzle

Game crashes for the first time when I'm less than 3,000 light-years from the center. Restart game, now I'm back out 20k away.

Fuck this shit.

mokeyjoe

The pulse engine is critically damaged, and it means the starship won't start, I thought I could just repair the Launch Truster, and then just slowly coast to the Space station but it errors and says the pulse engine is critically damaged. So I have some carite sheets, heridium but I'm just needing 20 Zinc, and on this barren planet there isn't any. I just need to find a trading post or galactic terminal and I'll buy some from the galactic market.

I'll also keep a look out on a broken ship, but I don't want to lose my current ship because I literally just spent a few million on it, did my farming for Vortex Cubes and then this happened

:/

If you swap a ship your old one stays, so you can swap, break down the upgrades for Zinc and swap back.

But I think a trading post is your best bet. They always have some zinc. And if you find a multi platform one you can trade with the aliens as well. Failing that you can farm for minerals and buy their ship.

Or you can find a gravitino ball and name it Wilson.

You have options.

mokeyjoe

Have any of you encountered NPC ships landing at non-landing pads while on planet?

I just encountered an NPC ship taking off from a patch of land that didn't even have a save waypoint, just a crashed probe/device. It caught me so off guard that I botched landing or turning around in time to see where it was going and follow it. It took a good 8-10 seconds to fully turn and come about (operating the ships in NMS with any kind of finesse seems like a non-starter), but it had vanished. Had to be an NPC ship, right? No way it could have been the other player that's been exploring the same system as me, right?

I have never seen that happen. NPC ships always follow trade routes and only land at pads in my experience. Apart from the flyover ones, but I've never seen one land.

Are you on PS4? You could have saved the video, be interesting to see.

TyrantII

Question. Has anyone seen rare elements with the 100% trading markup at a station terminal. I'd thete any reason for me to be hauling a good amount waiting for that, or do rare elements not get those lucky prices and star?

molnizzle

Question. Has anyone seen rare elements with the 100% trading markup at a station terminal. I'd thete any reason for me to be hauling a good amount waiting for that, or do rare elements not get those lucky prices and star?

They get them, but its not worth the inventory space to haul them around hoping for it.

I have never seen that happen. NPC ships always follow trade routes and only land at pads in my experience. Apart from the flyover ones, but I've never seen one land.

Are you on PS4? You could have saved the video, be interesting to see.

I am. I trimmed the video to just that 90 sec bit and am now copying it to USB so I can upload it somewhere and then share the link.

FWIW I never saw it land. It was taking off from the ground and bailing. Still, never seen anything like till now.

Edit: why the hell does it suddenly take so long to copy data from the PS4 to a flash drive? It's only a 65MB clip and it's saying 11 minutes left. D:

No, but for some reason the game let me land on top of another ship at a trading post the other day. XD

Oh yeah. I definitely did that once. The other ship hadn't taken off yet when I finished doing whatever I was doing at that trading post and so when I came back and tried to enter my ship, it brought up whatever Korvax was in the other ship-- but it was still showing my ship as if that was his. I let out a small yelp as I thought some bug had screwed me out of my ride lol

The bug where your ship gets launched into orbit as soon as you take off is a lot more annoying when you're trying to stay on the planet to get the extreme conditions milestones. I basically can't use the ship anymore unless I either give up on the other milestones or start from scratch. Why does this have to be the one goal that isn't cumulative? Sigh.

I don't think it could be another person as the client isn't sending player location data to the server. Very strange though, I've never seen a ship land outside of a pad.

The bug where your ship gets launched into orbit as soon as you take off is a lot more annoying when you're trying to stay on the planet to get the extreme conditions milestones. I basically can't use the ship anymore unless I either give up on the other milestones or start from scratch. Why does this have to be the one goal that isn't cumulative? Sigh.

My survival milestone doesn't reset when I leave planets.... sounds like yet another bug?

Tubobutts

It's not a bug, at least not in the way you think it is. If the game is giving you upgrade blueprints for your exosuit or starship from a multi-tool upgrade dispenser, it's doing that in error and you won't get the blueprint. Those dispensers are only supposed to give out multi-tool upgrades and anything else it "tries" to give you won't work. But the other ways that you can get exosuit and starship blueprints work just fine.
No it was from a terminal in a manufacturing facility. I don't know if that was the only time it happened, but it was one that I noticed cause it was someone I wanted to make.

mokeyjoe

I am. I trimmed the video to just that 90 sec bit and am now copying it to USB so I can upload it somewhere and then share the link.

FWIW I never saw it land. It was taking off from the ground and bailing. Still, never seen anything like till now.

Edit: why the hell does it suddenly take so long to copy data from the PS4 to a flash drive? It's only a 65MB clip and it's saying 11 minutes left. D:

Lol, I copied some photos yesterday and it took 20 mins.

mokeyjoe

No it was from a terminal in a manufacturing facility. I don't know if that was the only time it happened, but it was one that I noticed cause it was someone I wanted to make.

It could still be trying to give you it as multitool stuff. I don't know how the bug 'works' but it does just go away.

Gattsu25

Banned
So...what is that blasted sound effect that keeps playing when I am walking around in the middle of nowhere?

Sorta sounds like when you activate a save point for the first time.

Today during a ship search I got a Stackable Vortex Cube. Luckly right after I found a planet just like that. I kid you not, full inventory plus 100 of those was a true treasure.

The game can be hard as fuck but sometimes it cheats itself lol.
You can keep making the part for the ship and breaking it down to get a bunch of stacks, I had around 450 the other day, now I don't need money anymore.

Does the dupe trick still work post-patch? Thinking of duping my stack of 100 Vortex cubes. Legit farming is gonna take too long to get the 40 million or so I want for a 45+ slot ship.

If you are planning on glitching to get a bigger ship... why not use the Gek Transmission tower glitch?

So...what is that blasted sound effect that keeps playing when I am walking around in the middle of nowhere?

Hmm I don't know, but I often hear a crunching sound like I just got hit, and so I freak out and turn around and nothing's there.

Ghosts on these planets man

Dunno why YT is having a seizure on me right now, but I'm uploading the clip of that NPC ship to Vimeo instead to expedite things. Shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Anyway, I ran into a dry moon full of cacti and, one night, there were meteorite collisions in the distance causing giant explosions.

You saw the things streaking down and impacting? That sounds pretty awesome.

Okay here we go.

https://vimeo.com/179618637

It's 1:20 long. I come up on the ship at 0:15 and you can clearly see it pop up from landing and begin to take off. You then have to suffer through my freaking out and constantly looking around before I finally try and ungracefully turn the ship around. By the time I did they had peace'd out, but I land down at the same spot anyway to show that it's nothing special i.e. no landing pad.

Super weird.

LightInfa

Quick questions:

1) My map was showing an Atlas station a few systems away. Prior to going there, I built a Theta warp drive. I don't see any Atlas station in my map anymore. Is this a problem ?

2) I can't seem to be able to find any new blueprints. The last 40 or so that I discovered were all blueprints I already knew. Does the game only give you more advanced blueprints the closer you get to the center ?

3) How do I set a waypoint on PC ?

Yeah I learned a few. Not sure what it's for though.

I would imagine it translates words that the Atlas interfaces speak but my word didn't show up in any of the dialogue I got.

Patchy

Banned
Found a planet with Korvex cubes absolutely everywhere. Made around 7 million in units in 90 minutes...

Instant 3 star wanted level but the security is too easy in this game anyway. Might spend a week here before heading off into the unknown again.

Still haven't been promoted for the Atlas Pass V2 or V3 yet... Annoying.

Okay here we go.

It's 1:20 long. I come up on the ship at 0:15 and you can clearly see it pop up from landing and begin to take off. You then have to suffer through my freaking out and constantly looking around before I finally try and ungracefully turn the ship around. By the time I did they had peace'd out, but I land down at the same spot anyway to show that it's nothing special i.e. no landing pad.

Super weird.

I've never seen that happen before. The ship looks damaged too (and looks to have a dot like an undiscovered species?). That's wild!

Okay here we go.

Super weird.

Looks like a crashed ship to me, you can see black smoke rising up from it when you do the flyby. Buy yeah it was clearly in the process of leaving the ground. Weird.

Finished the atlas path ... and it's better than i expected. ???

Now i have 10 free slots in my inventory .. and i landed on a new system and i went from 5 mil to 10 mils in 90mins ...
I guess i'm doing better now that i'm not limited by the atlas path ??

I've never seen that happen before. The ship looks damaged too (and looks to have a dot like an undiscovered species?). That's wild!

Holy shit I didn't notice that before. It totally is smoking like a damaged ship. wat. Maybe there are some scripting routines that have NPC ships that are duking it out with each other, have the ability to land anywhere if it enables them to escape/survive?

The white dot that isn't pulsing-- like the one seen in the clip-- appears frequently for structures and maybe other points of interest. Animal life usually has the pulsing around it I think (maybe I got them reversed?).

Holy shit I didn't notice that before. It totally is smoking like a damaged ship. wat. Maybe there are some scripting routines that have NPC ships that are duking it out with each other, have the ability to land anywhere if it enables them to escape/survive?

The white dot that isn't pulsing-- like the one seen in the clip-- appears frequently for structures and maybe other points of interest. Animal life usually has the pulsing around it I think (maybe I got them reversed?).

Yeah, I think you're right about that. Still incredibly weird, I almost wish you had shot it down, hah. What an awful space traveler I am.

My survival milestone doesn't reset when I leave planets.... sounds like yet another bug?

Doesn't it? I read a ton of gamefaqs posts and (I feel like) posts in the OTs saying it did reset once you left a planet. I would love for that to have been a bug that subsequently got fixed, but I don't think it got mentioned in any of the patch notes.

Baalzebup

It still ends up being under the same issue. The game definitely has a thing with trying to give upgrades from sources you are not supposed to get them from and that is the end result. Certain upgrades are clearly gated behind certain sources and if it mistakenly tries to give you one from an "unauthorized" source, it will claim you already have it, even if you don't.
Okay here we go.

Super weird.
Honestly, all I see is the usual ship crash with the location of the crashed ship just glitching out a bit, likely in part due to just being generated just slightly off due to whatever byte-hiccup. Its location moves in response to the angle of the view chancing.

mulac

Finished the atlas path ... and it's better than i expected. ???

Now i have 10 free slots in my inventory .. and i landed on a new system and i went from 5 mil to 10 mils in 90mins ...
I guess i'm doing better now that i'm not limited by the atlas path ??

I'm 2 away from finishing - just warping to systems heading to Anomaly's, stopping to mine materials for Warp Cells...plan on levelling and upgrading everything once completed then resuming journey to the centre...is it worth finishing the Atlas Path or just sell off the 1 stones? Does completing Atlas Path give you any boost or advantage?

Flipyap

Okay here we go.

Super weird.
That's a crashed ship and, sadly, it's not taking off - the game (incorrectly) rearranged its position based on the next detail generation pass. I've seen trees crawling up cliffs in a similar way.

I'm 2 away from finishing - just warping to systems heading to Anomaly's, stopping to mine materials for Warp Cells...plan on levelling and upgrading everything once completed then resuming journey to the centre...is it worth finishing the Atlas Path or just sell off the 1 stones? Does completing Atlas Path give you any boost or advantage?

if you're good with the warp drive fuel ( like if you can wrap to an anomaly with 1 jump for exemple ) , just finish it and be done with it ..

I like some aspects of the atlas path on the META level , but it's not that impressive

But i liked it.

WipedOut

Almost have my Multi-Tool finished. Really digging this model. This setup just melts mounds of emeril.

IMG_1072.jpg

Baalzebup

^^ That is the one thing really still missing from my No Man's Coolness, a really pimping multitool. Having a 24-slot one is ok, but I want to find one that looks cool AND has 24 slots. No luck on that front so far.

That's a crashed ship and, sadly, it's not taking off - the game (incorrectly) rearranged its position based on the next detail generation pass. I've seen trees crawling up cliffs in a similar way.

Ahh balls. You might be right. I can't find the spot again, but the location I took off from is just one waypoint behind my current save spot, so I'm trying to find it again to confirm, but your point is pretty salient given how the game generates terrain.

Hung Wei Lo

Almost have my Multi-Tool finished. Really digging this model. This setup just melts mounds of emeril.

IMG_1072.jpg

been doing the same thing with my ship and multitool as well...for science (to see what'll I'll have to go through when I find "my" ship and a tool that doesn't look like a Destiny reject..

anyhow, curious to see how your exo-suit is set up..

edit: found my first Gravitino ball world and I'm..underwhelmed. Too much running around lol (not like the Vortex cube one I had - they spawned everywhere, albeit underground only...

edit 2: so these "highly aggressive sentinals" ..I'm at 5 stars now and there are no spawns. I guess something big and scary is gunna get me when I'm not expecting it?

Mula

Ahh balls. You might be right. I can't find the spot again, but the location I took off from is just one waypoint behind my current save spot, so I'm trying to find it again to confirm, but your point is pretty salient given how the game generates terrain.

It is a broken Ship moving, i had this quite often on one planet.

Top Bottom