• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Flipyap

edit: found my first Gravitino ball world and I'm..underwhelmed. Too much running around lol (not like the Vortex cube one I had - they spawned everywhere, albeit underground only...
Underground cubes are the best because they don't alert Sentinels. Dig out a hole to a cave system near an outpost and you've got your very own vortex farm.

Man.... Scanning birds really fucking sucks...
You can scan corpses, so feel free to murder them (for science).

muteki

I'm pretty sure I visited the same Atlas Interface in the same system twice and the second time it was like I had never been. Still had words, upgrades, and got another Atlus sphere.

Chabbles

I landed on a planet earlier with some weird ass wildlife. bouncing strawberry pineapple looking things and bouncing land octopus mushroom things. There they were, just bouncing around.

image.jpg

WipedOut

been doing the same thing with my ship and multitool as well...for science (to see what'll I'll have to go through when I find "my" ship and a tool that doesn't look like a Destiny reject..

anyhow, curious to see how your exo-suit is set up..

edit: found my first Gravitino ball world and I'm..underwhelmed. Too much running around lol (not like the Vortex cube one I had - they spawned everywhere, albeit underground only...

edit 2: so these "highly aggressive sentinals" ..I'm at 5 stars now and there are no spawns. I guess something big and scary is gunna get me when I'm not expecting it?

Still don't have the suit completely done yet. At 48 slots but haven't installed all upgrades yet

Hung Wei Lo

Underground cubes are the best because they don't alert Sentinels. Dig out a hole to a cave system near an outpost and you've got your very own vortex farm.

yup. I think my edit got lost last page. I'm at a constant 5 star so I'm picking up these bad boys without any pursuit (plus I get the cool chase-y music) Is this bugged, or am I screwed as soon as I pop up in space (I.E. i should sell on the planet)?

I'm full of edits today yeeesh: at least I got one of those stackable gravatino balls from ship farming..it's making it somewhat bearable!

BizzyBum

Yoo, I just had an awesome idea. I saw a giant looking tiger thing and it was passive so I tried jumping on its back but you clip right through the model. What if we could tame creatures like this and then be able to mount them and ride them around the planet super fast!?

The observatories are a curious thing. The narrative is always that you're receiving a signal from space, and when you pick the right code is says that you've discovered a new world. But then the location is mostly/always? a ruin on the same planet.

I wonder if the observatory was originally meant to point to POIs on other star systems, or to find a new path, and they were repurposed as another local POI finder.

Doesn't it? I read a ton of gamefaqs posts and (I feel like) posts in the OTs saying it did reset once you left a planet. I would love for that to have been a bug that subsequently got fixed, but I don't think it got mentioned in any of the patch notes.

My Journey record currently says "Survived 9.0 sols in extreme conditions. Next milestone in 3.0 sols" I'm not on an extreme planet right now, but I've gotten milestones on different extreme planets. Is that not normal?

elguero

Got my survivalist trophy tonight and boy was it a grind. Best way to cheese it is to chain as many life support upgrades as possible then just post up in a shelter. Should only need to feed materials to your life support every hour or so, just set a timer on your phone to remind you to check your life support status. Be sure to save frequently to avoid lost time due to crashes.

CaLe

Reposting some questions, hoping someone knows the answer to one of them :

1) My map was showing an Atlas station a few systems away. Prior to going there, I built a Theta warp drive. I don't see any Atlas station in my map anymore. Is this a problem ?

2) I can't seem to be able to find any new blueprints. The last 40 or so that I discovered were all blueprints I already knew. Does the game only give you more advanced blueprints the closer you get to the center ?

Baalzebup

My Journey record currently says "Survived 9.0 sols in extreme conditions. Next milestone in 3.0 sols" I'm not on an extreme planet right now, but I've gotten milestones on different extreme planets. Is that not normal?

The basic idea is that the record does not change, as that is literally what it is, your current record, but the actual timer measuring it is reset every time you leave the planet. So to actually reach the next milestone, you would need to spend the full 12 sols to reach it. And to get the full milestone 10, it has to be the full 28 or however many sols it takes to reach it, all in a single session where you don't leave the planet. You can save, even quit the game, but you must not leave the planets lower atmosphere (which is why people curse the glitch that catapults them into orbit when launching the ship.)

pip77

edit 2: so these "highly aggressive sentinals" ..I'm at 5 stars now and there are no spawns. I guess something big and scary is gunna get me when I'm not expecting it?

After you kill all sentinels on 5 stars, I believe they won't respawn on land. When you get to outer space though...............
Their starships try to take you down. It starts with a one star battle against three ships. You destroy them, then the next wave comes, ala 2 stars. When you get to five stars................. you will battle starships and

no_mans_sky_review_spaceship_rocks.jpg

that has turrets on both sides. When I had a 5 star battle, I had the big warship down to turrets on one side then it just disappeared.

The bug where your ship gets launched into orbit as soon as you take off is a lot more annoying when you're trying to stay on the planet to get the extreme conditions milestones. I basically can't use the ship anymore unless I either give up on the other milestones or start from scratch. Why does this have to be the one goal that isn't cumulative? Sigh.

I think getting into your ship resets the counter anyway, at least thats what I read when I did it. I just set my life support to max with upgrades and just found a shelter and just chilled there and did something else. Even set an alarm to check life support :p

Karu

Wait is there a way to reset my save?

I landed in a deep square shaped tube without realising I had no more Plutonium with me and my start fuel being empty. No source within the tube and no chance to get out of there otherwise. My save files are within the tube lol.

What I am supposed to do now? lol...

Baalzebup

I think getting into your ship resets the counter anyway, at least thats what I read when I did it. I just set my life support to max with upgrades and just found a shelter and just chilled there and did something else. Even set an alarm to check life support :p

Definitely didn't reset for me, as I cruised quite long distances between various activities on the planet where I did my extreme survival course with a mix of spelunking, ruins and monoliths hunting and just plain old AFKing in shelters. I was monitoring the time pretty sharply and getting in the ship did stop the clock, but didn't reset it.

I landed in a deep square shaped tube without realising I had no more Plutonium with me and my start fuel being empty. No source within the tube and no chance to get out of there otherwise. My save files are within the tube lol.

Just jetpack out of there, hugging the wall. You get essentially unlimited jetpack when you're pressing up against a really steep surface. It is a built-in guarantee for just such situations. You Can Always Get Out Of There™ (well, aside from getting stuck due to a glitch or another :p)

BizzyBum

Uh, I just had a
black hole warp me about little over a million light years. I might have read it wrong and double checked but right when I was scrambling to take a screenshot the message disappeared. There's no way that's possible, right? If so, the Euclid galaxy is a big ass galaxy. None closer to the center, either. lol

vix

If you're trapped in a hole like that, use your jetpack to get out. As long as you stay pressed against the wall, the jetpack will be infinite. The trip back down might be a little more interesting though.

Edit: beaten to it. :)

Uh, I just had a
black hole warp me about little over a million light years. I might have read it wrong and double checked but right when I was scrambling to take a screenshot the message disappeared. There's no way that's possible, right? If so, the Euclid galaxy is a big ass galaxy. None closer to the center, either. lol

I've warped over 40 times and used multiple black holes and I'm still 150,000 light years from the centre. I think you must have mis read!

Fess

Two solar systems, 5 planets and 2 space stations visited in total - 36 hours played. The game is missing some promised features but omg I sooo don't care, can't even remember the last time I was this hooked on a game.

Septimius

Uh, I just had a

The dustance is bullshit. I've had many million+ ly warps. The most important thing everyone needs to know about black holes is that each jump takes you like 400ly closer to the center. It's not much, but it's something.

Haunted

re: black holes

Aside from being an incredible looking effect, black holes are a disappointment in terms of actually providing meaningful shortcuts to the core. :mad:

Damn, this melee/jump trick with a fully upgraded jetpack is pretty awesome. Helps me cover some nice distance when I'm exploring on foot.
True game changer. Makes on foot traversal actually fun and much more viable. I'm going to be so miffed if they patch that out.

The distance to the centre and using black holes is definitely messed up. I have been through 3 so far and one was over 100k light years jump yet according to the map I had only jumped a tiny amount.

I was even wondering if the distance to the centre counter was some shortened version, like it's actually representing millions or something like that because otherwise it just seems messed up.

Haunted

The distance to the centre and using black holes is definitely messed up. I have been through 3 so far and one was over 100k light years jump yet according to the map I had only jumped a tiny amount.

I was even wondering if the distance to the centre counter was some shortened version, like it's actually representing millions or something like that because otherwise it just seems messed up.
From what I understand, you actually do travel these large distances -
just not in the direction of the core, but more along a concentric axis to make sure your relative distance to the core remains close to where you started.

Which is kinda bullshit and not what I hoped black holes to be at all. ;_;

Orcastar

Just read the comic and short story that came with the special edition. Man, they paint such a cool picture of the game, having to actually fight for survival on a desolate and hostile planet. It's kinda amazing how monotonous and bland the actual game is in comparison. Good thing I didn't read them before playing or I would have been even more disappointed.

noomi

Point your scan visor at a structure, it will highlight it and it'll have a white dot on it. Do it again and it'll remove it.

Woah... nice. Never knew this.

Always wondered how those white dots happened. Thanks.

*edit*

Doesn't remove it though no matter how long I look at the structure....

Vuze

I've been playing the game for two hours now and can only imagine how much more intriguing it would be to have some Minecraft-esque multiplayer. I wonder if some dedicated PC folks are working on a MP mod. Would be amazing to play this with my brother, he'd be totally down for it but has no interest in the current SP-only version of the game.

I enjoy the very different planets but I can't help but feel constantly annoyed by the imposed inventory restrictions. My heart jumped a bit when I discovered one of these drop pods on a toxic planet but it just added one mere slot to my suit <_<

Also something is off regarding character height perception or maybe it's just me. Sometimes I feel like a 50cm tall gnome with a gun triple of my size.

So, I realized I can max out at about 1,600 light years in one warp, using free explore. However, the linear distance to the center only reads as ~500 closer. After the warp that is indeed how much closer I was registered to have gotten. Perhaps not coincidentally, the amount moved forward seems to closely coincide with that max length the run to the center path it lays out if you were to go all the way.

Is this a bug, or a deliberate attempt by the game to force the player to take black holes? It's extremely demoralizing to have to hope for random anomaly pops after a warp just to ask for black holes, to warp again, then get a thousand or so closer, when I can allegedly hop 1600 at once. And of course repeat the process of hoping for a random anomaly pop plus deal with repairs on rare materials. Until this gets some sort of fix/enhancement I'm going to finish maxing out my milestones and hope for atlus passes 2 and 3.
Uh, I just had a
That seems bugged and I've seen anything from 250k to 1.3M. Considering each jump in actuality only puts you ~1000-1500 closer (based on the numbers on the warp map) I have no idea where that number comes from.

Nameless

Starting to realise this game takes a lot of design queues from the film Oblivion with Tom Cruise.

The outposts

The Sentinels

drone.jpg

Even the Atlas stations bare a resemblance to the Tet

latest

4c060a79b641071954d277856f0fd8f6.jpg

just saying...

wow nice catch. Even versions of those ships are in the game. Might actually rewatch Oblivion which I never thought I'd say.

Seiniyta

Being 112 hours in with the PC version (yes..I know)

Does anyone feel there aren't enough planets that have long stretches of more flatter terrain? That the planets have too many small hils/mountains:canyons etc?

Liljagare

90 hours in, still loving it, but miffed at the lack of communication from the creator regarding the lil' players meeting debacle.

And, yes, I am missing big open praries, haven't seen one yet, all terrain is very noicy it seems.

Septimius

Still bored, so I jump to a black hole, then loot carriers, and jump through the black hole. Gives me materials to fix my ship

KrebStar

I stumbled upon a gravitino planet this morning and it damn near feels like cheating. The planet is bleak, lifeless, and absolutely littered with gravitino balls, albumen pearls, gold, iridium, platinum and suit upgrade stations. There's also a space station about a minute away that buys the gravitino at +100%.

I'm going to miss that place.

IvanJ

Banned
So, I realized I can max out at about 1,600 light years in one warp, using free explore. However, the linear distance to the center only reads as ~500 closer. After the warp that is indeed how much closer I was registered to have gotten. Perhaps not coincidentally, the amount moved forward seems to closely coincide with that max length the run to the center path it lays out if you were to go all the way.

Is this a bug, or a deliberate attempt by the game to force the player to take black holes? It's extremely demoralizing to have to hope for random anomaly pops after a warp just to ask for black holes, to warp again, then get a thousand or so closer, when I can allegedly hop 1600 at once. And of course repeat the process of hoping for a random anomaly pop plus deal with repairs on rare materials. Until this gets some sort of fix/enhancement I'm going to finish maxing out my milestones and hope for atlus passes 2 and 3.
That seems bugged and I've seen anything from 250k to 1.3M. Considering each jump in actuality only puts you ~1000-1500 closer (based on the numbers on the warp map) I have no idea where that number comes from.

Regarding searching for black holes:
If you complete the Atlas Path quest, you will earn the ability to have black holes show up on your galactic map

Also, as I've written several times, I think using black holes is not productive. It's faster and easier to just warp 5 times for a total of 2000 lightyears of advancement, than to use a black hole, advance about the same, then spend a lot of time searching for materials to fix whatever is broken.

noomi

Endless caves of this stuff, I've farmed about 10 million and upgraded my exo suit to a 48 slot.

Getting a bit boring so I think I'm going to bail, nothing to spend these credits on anymore anyway....

A_Dang

Does anyone feel there aren't enough planets that have long stretches of more flatter terrain? That the planets have too many small hils/mountains:canyons etc?

I totally agree. Having flatter terrain is part of giving more variety, not just constant random "mountains" (I've heard one person comment on having actual mountain sized "mountains" and I'd love to see them! I really do hope the exist!).

It really bugs me to see all the flattened areas that surround buildings and crash sites, they are obviously templated to have a certain area around them to be flat to allow for navigation and landing, but when ever you activate a tower it's so obvious...or when you are searching for crash sites and you come across a punched in circle in a hill...I know it's a small thing, but it does but me each time I see it...

Haunted

Has anyone seen a creature even close to the scale of that desert snake in the announcement trailer?

No-Mans-Sky-Desert-Worm-650x276.png

Starting to realise this game takes a lot of design queues from the film Oblivion with Tom Cruise.

The outposts

The Sentinels

drone.jpg

latest

just saying...
Good call. I did like the technology designs in that movie, very good design work.

Just picked up 3
Atlas Stones from the same Atlas station. Is that normal? Flying in and out again once the marker appears.
It's my first Atlas system as I did tons of other stuff before.
If I continue to collect the 10 stones, would that mess up the quest progression like missing out on some story beats?

Zomba13

Okay here we go.

https://vimeo.com/179618637

It's 1:20 long. I come up on the ship at 0:15 and you can clearly see it pop up from landing and begin to take off. You then have to suffer through my freaking out and constantly looking around before I finally try and ungracefully turn the ship around. By the time I did they had peace'd out, but I land down at the same spot anyway to show that it's nothing special i.e. no landing pad.

Super weird.

That happens sometimes. It's like when you're flying around and see structures a couple feet off the ground then they sink in except crashed ships are treated like other ships so if you get there before properly generated/spawned then they shimmy around and "land" like real NPC ships. I got excited seeing it once then realised it was just a crashed ship.

xam3l

The outposts

The Sentinels

drone.jpg

latest

just saying...

On my mind since I first saw the game. But now, looking closer I demand a mod that makes the game look exactly like that.

Top Bottom