• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Aselith

I found a raid boss today

5CE14FFA52034BA0924645A07EC484CD24C815DE

N° 2048

Got all excited seeing a new patch is out so boot up the game and yup, crashed twice in just a few minutes.. fuuuuck I just want to play the fucking game! Is that too much to ask?

I love this game, even though it lacks a lot.

It allows my mind to go crazy and role play. Narrate my own story. It's a great game to put Spotify or a podcast to.

BUT IT FUCKING CRASHES ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Or just randomly stops saving (which I think I read was fixed?)

Adding in liquid mechanics would be fantastic. Probably possible?

In terms of volcanism I have see steam venting from planets and pools of bubbling tar.

Yeah I've seen the steam vents also. A nice touch, but an order of magnitude easier to implement a particle effect than having the proc gen creating a magma system that results in flowing lava volcanoes. But I can dream. tbh though they need to sort out all the game mechanics and UI first before they start adding more pretty things to look at.

JP

Had spent hours playing this and really loving and decided to start it over as I'd play it differently knowing the things I know after playing it for so long. Just started again and I remembered that there was something wrong with getting or losing the warp drive if you do certain things?

Can somebody please remind what the issues were so that I can avoid causing that to happen? Thanks.

BUT IT FUCKING CRASHES ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Or just randomly stops saving (which I think I read was fixed?)

Crashing has been much better for me since the patches. The only time it really crashes for sure is about 40% of the time when trying to dupe. Though I haven't made the attempt after the most recent patch. Even so, I haven't had a crash since the patch last week that hardlocks the system, so that's improvement.

Had a blast with this game tonight. Found a bunch of interesting planets, including one that the surface looked like an apple and blackcurrent ice cream swirl, just loads of purple and streaks of green. When I landed, the air was fine but it was EXTREME torrential rain all the time. I called it Purple Rain world.

tchocky

Had spent hours playing this and really loving and decided to start it over as I'd play it differently knowing the things I know after playing it for so long. Just started again and I remembered that there was something wrong with getting or losing the warp drive if you do certain things?

Can somebody please remind what the issues were so that I can avoid causing that to happen? Thanks.

If you switch to the preordered ship before getting all the blueprints needed to build a warp drive. This may have been fixed in a patch but to be safe don't switch until you have built a warp cell.

JP

If you switch to the preordered ship before getting all the blueprints needed to build a warp drive. This may have been fixed in a patch but to be safe don't switch until you have built a warp cell.
Ah OK, that sounds familiar. I waited hours before redeeming the ship the first time so I would have been OK and I'm not in a hurry to do that now. Thanks. :)

Finally reached the center of the galaxy this morning. Ending spoilers below.

I'm a little stunned at the literal nothing that occurs for the ending. You just rewind through the galaxy and restart in new game plus? That's it? May as well have just told me to be sure to drink my Ovaltine.

Now that I think about it, that kinda happened, since one of the final systems I warped to was named "Check out my website", and listed some url. A crummy commercial indeed.

I wasn't expecting much, but a little token text about the galaxy being a simulation, resetting as the observer (i.e. you as the player) sends another traveler through it would have been nice. Something, anything to accompany the Atlas path and Anomaly discussions. In the grand scheme, the revelation and thought of existence being a simulation is an interesting conclusion, but come on, throw me a bone with some explicit fanfare.

Aenima

Need to complete the tutorial part of game where you get a blueprinp for a warp drive before installing the DLC ship that already come with a warp drive and for that reason that part of the tutorial will be skiped.

So just dont get the DLC ship, or just get it after you receive the blueprint for the warp drive.

It took me a while to figure out what was happening, but once installed a Blueprint is removed from the list.
Consider the list as "available to install right now" rather than a list of everything you know.

Yeah, I get this but the issue I'm having is that I haven't crafted and don't own any of the blueprints that aren't appearing in my list

And what is actually happening is this. Keep going, keep playing. You'll get 'em elsewhere.

Oooh. Weird! Seems like a frustrating way to do that, though.

Ah OK, that sounds familiar. I waited hours before redeeming the ship the first time so I would have been OK and I'm not in a hurry to do that now. Thanks. :)

Just make sure you do redeem the pre-order ship at some point. The game will keep annoying the shit out of you until you do. It's not a great ship, so it's best to redeem it and switch to it immediately before you switch to another ship.

Elandyll

Banned
Almost stranded myself having to do a "Death Reset" today, entirely being my own fault.

Arriving on a new planet, I see a way point under water in a relatively deep sea, and decided I'm going to be a lazy bum and instead of landing on actual land which would require a few minutes of swimming, I land on a small island (a rock with a tree essentially) as close as possible to the landmark.
I then realize, upon exiting,that the planet is a Hoth-like (-125C) extreme weather planets, with almost constant storms. I still make the dive, with I think plenty of Zinc and Platinum to recharge my protections, but it still takes a few minutes to make the dive and come back, starting to run low on both.

I then have the dreaded "Not enough Fuel for take off"message ... and realize there's -no- trace of Plutonium anywhere around me to recharge.
My thermal protection is taking a beating due to the cold, and my O2 protection is taking one when in water as well, both eating through whatever little Platinum I have left.
By alternating swimming and hoping on a few rocks between the land on me, it takes about 12 minutes to reach the nearest land (grabbing a few sparse Plutonium crystals when arriving), where the only Oxyde I can find is a bit of Zinc in plants here and there. I then have the option to start looking for an Outpost with a Call Ship interface, or go back 12+ minutes to my ship which is still stranded in the middle of a very cold sea in the middle of a storm.
I get to the top of the closest hill, and no Outpost in sight.
12+ minutes trek it is then, but my zinc is almost gone, and only 3 minutes away from the ship is now entirely gone, with the storm doubling down. Alternating dives and using Melee Dash on a few rocks alternatively (it does increase your swimming speed when in water jumping in with the inertia), I make it with what appears to be less than a few seconds of Thermal Resistance left (Right before I take damage).

Both a huge annoyance and a nice adrenaline boost specially toward the end, but it all came from my underestimating of the Plutonium needed to be kept at hand to make sure takeoffs can be done ;)

ranmafan

Finally got through the Atlus quest and picked up my platinum trophy over the weekend. First on ps4 and first new platinum for me in quite a long time. Enjoying the game so much and thankfully the crashes have been less frequent last couple of days, especially compared to last week.

Now the long road to the center. Yet I'm still loving it. Just such a calm and relaxing game. And it's just fueling my imagination like games used to before everything was just shown to you. And I love just coming up with my own stories for my journey. So much fun!

Thankfully today I can play a lot as I got nothing else to do due to a typhoon hitting Japan so everything is closed. So after the Olympic closing ceremony I'm going to try and get that distance to the center down a bit.

ranmafan

Just make sure you do redeem the pre-order ship at some point. The game will keep annoying the shit out of you until you do. It's not a great ship, so it's best to redeem it and switch to it immediately before you switch to another ship.

Yeah I wish they would fix that. I didn't switch to it and now if I did it would be a far less powerful ship so I dont want to, so I'm stuck with that stupid notification about unclaimed items. Its quite annoying.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Okay, it's been a few game hours since I lost my previous functional ship. And I've been looking for it exactly where I left it, but it's not there. Essentially I suspect the game removed the ship after I wandered off for a bit looking for Zinc to fix the new ship I switched to.

Between the time I left it to today, I have installed OS 4.0 beta 2 and NMS patch 1.05 so I had to restart/reload the game.

I'm so mad right now. Literally stranded on a desert planet. I've even wandered for hours trying to look for any traders or posts that will trade/sell Zinc to get off this planet. I don't want to restart and lose all those hours.

This really sucks.

I've never tried it, but would a ship summon beacon work even if your ship is damaged?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never tried it, but would a ship summon beacon work even if your ship is damaged?
It works, and the ship arrives, but with the broken systems. So now that I've given up on finding the last functional ship, I've been wandering around the planet and summoning my ship wherever I go lol. All I need is 11 more freaking Zinc units to fix the Pulse Engine.

Aenima

It works, and the ship arrives, but with the broken systems. So now that I've given up on finding the last functional ship, I've been wandering around the planet and summoning my ship wherever I go lol. All I need is 11 more freaking Zinc units to fix the Pulse Engine.

Zinc is really easy to find. If you use ur scanner on foot the yellow icons are all zinc flowers (titanium crystals also appear as yellow icons if im not wrong).
So any planet that have a little flora, will have alot of zinc flowers.

Mossybrew

The main issue is that there is a very low threshold where improving your ship/multitool becomes pointless beyond aesthetic concerns. You guys grinding away that Gek find-a-ship deal, why? Why would you need a ship that holds X more items? Once your ship has enough space for quality of life upgrades, what else do you need? I'd say once you have about 24 slots tops, upgrading your ship is pointless. What, to haul more cargo to... trade? What do you need more money for? When the ultimate goal of the game is basically surviving and sightseeing, there is not much reason to keep upgrading past a certain point.

TheFatMan

Have they fixed the blueprint bug in 1.05? I never see ANYTHING stated about this damn bug and it has totally ruined my save file. Basically every single blueprint I get states "Already known" but then doesn't appear in my formulas.

Pretty much pissed me off at this point as I basically can't progress.

Play on PS4. Anyone heard anything?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zinc is really easy to find. If you use ur scanner on foot the yellow icons are all zinc flowers (titanium crystals also appear as yellow icons if im not wrong).
So any planet that have a little flora, will have alot of zinc flowers.
Unlike my starting planet, no flora on this one that gives Zinc. But after walking for hours I finally found a trader that sells it. Hooooo god fucking finally I can get off this ship.

No more ship hopping without the necessary resources to fix the ship right away.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shiiiiit, I appear to have learned the entire Gek language.

Has anyone actually found the omegon or night crystals in the wild? They're the only things I've only found via merchants. I've even seen multiple forms of a lot of the other rare pickups.

Woah, are those tentacled floating things flying about? Cool.
They're not creatures, per se.
Shoot them up, they contain radnox.

Seiniyta

There's no lava (or volcanoes) unfortunately, but since there's no rivers with flowing water either, that makes sense. I hope things that are regular fixtures of sci-book covers like volcanoes, ringed planets, binary systems, and craters will be added at some point. Having real flowing water and waterfalls would also be nice. And ice that looks like ice.
If you're on pc I'm confident there will be texture mods that make ice look like ice. The biggest effect visually it will have are in caves.

Aenima

The main issue is that there is a very low threshold where improving your ship/multitool becomes pointless beyond aesthetic concerns. You guys grinding away that Gek find-a-ship deal, why? Why would you need a ship that holds X more items? Once your ship has enough space for quality of life upgrades, what else do you need? I'd say once you have about 24 slots tops, upgrading your ship is pointless. What, to haul more cargo to... trade? What do you need more money for? When the ultimate goal of the game is basically surviving and sightseeing, there is not much reason to keep upgrading past a certain point.
More slots, more upgrades u can have installed. My ship has 15 slots filled with upgrades, then i carry 500 of each resorce on the ship. (to fast repair anything if i use a black hole)

Just get 11 free slot left for extra loot. Oh an i dont even have any Photon Cannon upgrades installed in my ship, or would have even much less free slots.

So yeah, to me a 48 slot ship is about right for the way i play.

And the money i use to buy Anti-matter. You need, that expensive thing u can buy to craft fuel cells... fuel u need to warp... warp u need to reach the center :p

Shiiiiit, I appear to have learned the entire Gek language.

Has anyone actually found the omegon or night crystals in the wild? They're the only things I've only found via merchants. I've even seen multiple forms of a lot of the other rare pickups.

They're not creatures, per se.
Shoot them up, they contain radnox.

I saw Omegon in the pre-release streams, but not since the day one patch rerolled the universe. No idea if it still spawns, but considering the number of worlds I've been to, I'm thinking it does not. It used to be in big blueish floating crystal things that you'd break chunks off of and harvest.

If you're on pc I'm confident there will be texture mods that make ice look like ice. The biggest effect visually it will have are in caves.

Sorry I should have been more clear... there's no ice at all in the game. Closest thing to ice is a "snow" texture. So I'd like ice, because so many real planets have huge ice sheets, glaciers, etc. And they might as well make it look like ice while they're at it, not just a texture. :)

And the money i use to buy Anti-matter. You need, that expensive thing u can buy to craft fuel cells... fuel u need to warp... warp u need to reach the center :p

Why would you buy antimatter when it's cheap to craft? Is it that you don't want to land on planets to collect materials?

I'm still trying to figure out my extreme survival bug, it's different from others have been reporting.

My next milestone is stuck at 0.0 SOLS. I've just chilling an extreme planet to see if maybe it'll start working, but so far it seems stuck at survived 3 Sols.
still not good enough for Polo

And yes, I'm in a shelter on an extreme climate planet and no, I've not left the planet at all.

BizzyBum

I made the mistake of leaving an extreme planet at the level 4 milestone. I thought you could pick up progress on another planet. Just found another extreme planet so might just buckle down and grind to level 10. On the bright side, this planet has 12 species and they are rare so I can at least spend time trying to scan them all.

melkier33

I'm still trying to figure out my extreme survival bug, it's different from others have been reporting.

My next milestone is stuck at 0.0 SOLS. I've just chilling an extreme planet to see if maybe it'll start working, but so far it seems stuck at survived 3 Sols.
still not good enough for Polo

And yes, I'm in a shelter on an extreme climate planet and no, I've not left the planet at all.

Does it say extreme on the weather bar? Some people get that confused, even if you land and the word is in red it needs to say extreme. If you are, I'm not sure mine seemed to work kinda weird like it was only working if a storm was going on, or the storm made it stop working. I was super tired and passed out woke up to an empty grave but I got the max milestone.

SnowDrops

I made the mistake of leaving an extreme planet at the level 4 milestone. I thought you could pick up progress on another planet. Just found another extreme planet so might just buckle down and grind to level 10. On the bright side, this planet has 12 species and they are rare so I can at least spend time trying to scan them all.

Way better than what I had to do. I almost never found extreme planets so I settled down on the next best I found, an Icy planet, with nothing on it but these floating Radnox thingies and huge mountains and canyons. I've had to walk around on that thing for hours. Felt really lonely.

Aenima

Why would you buy antimatter when it's cheap to craft? Is it that you don't want to land on planets to collect materials?

Yeah, i just buy the anti-matter on space station vendors and move one. When i go to planets i actually find alot of anti-matter on those v1 containers. So i never craft anti-matter :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So, crashed ships? Do they typically float between one more slot than yours or one less? All I've run into isn't a dramatic enough shift in slots to make the repairing of the ship worth it.

Aenima

So, crashed ships? Do they typically float between one more slot than yours or one less? All I've run into isn't a dramatic enough shift in slots to make the repairing of the ship worth it.

Yes the crashed ships you find will only have 1 more r 1 less slot than the one you are using.

Does it say extreme on the weather bar? Some people get that confused, even if you land and the word is in red it needs to say extreme. If you are, I'm not sure mine seemed to work kinda weird like it was only working if a storm was going on, or the storm made it stop working. I was super tired and passed out woke up to an empty grave but I got the max milestone.
It sure does. Extreme cold

I was having a hell of a time finding a way to earn credits; I've been sitting right around 600k for the last few star systems (I was still earning money, I just spent it as fast as I made it). And then I found my first space anomaly, and the system has a planet with Sac Venom everywhere. Better still, the planet in the immediate vicinity of the space station has Vortex Cubes every 10 feet and they're on the 100% markup list in the system. Some quick farming jumped me up a few million units, and I figure if I wanted to, I could easily clear 10,000,000 an hour. It's literally a 4 second jump between the surface and the space station. I wish I had something I could dismantle so I could stack them; my biggest problem now is my inventory fills up in 2 minutes.

If I decide to sell off my only Atlas Stone and abandon the Atlas path, does it affect anything at all? Nada and Polo showed me how to find black holes, so I don't need to follow the path for that, and I'm frankly not interested in littering my inventory with Atlas Stones; not when I can fill it with Vortex Cubes and upgrade to a new starship in relatively short order.

Almost stranded myself having to do a "Death Reset" today, entirely being my own fault.

Arriving on a new planet, I see a way point under water in a relatively deep sea, and decided I'm going to be a lazy bum and instead of landing on actual land which would require a few minutes of swimming, I land on a small island (a rock with a tree essentially) as close as possible to the landmark.
I then realize, upon exiting,that the planet is a Hoth-like (-125C) extreme weather planets, with almost constant storms. I still make the dive, with I think plenty of Zinc and Platinum to recharge my protections, but it still takes a few minutes to make the dive and come back, starting to run low on both.

I then have the dreaded "Not enough Fuel for take off"message ... and realize there's -no- trace of Plutonium anywhere around me to recharge.
My thermal protection is taking a beating due to the cold, and my O2 protection is taking one when in water as well, both eating through whatever little Platinum I have left.
By alternating swimming and hoping on a few rocks between the land on me, it takes about 12 minutes to reach the nearest land (grabbing a few sparse Plutonium crystals when arriving), where the only Oxyde I can find is a bit of Zinc in plants here and there. I then have the option to start looking for an Outpost with a Call Ship interface, or go back 12+ minutes to my ship which is still stranded in the middle of a very cold sea in the middle of a storm.
I get to the top of the closest hill, and no Outpost in sight.
12+ minutes trek it is then, but my zinc is almost gone, and only 3 minutes away from the ship is now entirely gone, with the storm doubling down. Alternating dives and using Melee Dash on a few rocks alternatively (it does increase your swimming speed when in water jumping in with the inertia), I make it with what appears to be less than a few seconds of Thermal Resistance left (Right before I take damage).

Both a huge annoyance and a nice adrenaline boost specially toward the end, but it all came from my underestimating of the Plutonium needed to be kept at hand to make sure takeoffs can be done ;)

Two things I always have on hand. Plutonium and grenades, I almost couldn't leave a dead planet and had to walk half of it to find the needed plutonium.
My first time going inside a cave I got fucking lost for almost an hour.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Finally reached the center of the galaxy this morning. Ending spoilers below.

I'm a little stunned at the literal nothing that occurs for the ending. You just rewind through the galaxy and restart in new game plus? That's it? May as well have just told me to be sure to drink my Ovaltine.

Now that I think about it, that kinda happened, since one of the final systems I warped to was named "Check out my website", and listed some url. A crummy commercial indeed.

I wasn't expecting much, but a little token text about the galaxy being a simulation, resetting as the observer (i.e. you as the player) sends another traveler through it would have been nice. Something, anything to accompany the Atlas path and Anomaly discussions. In the grand scheme, the revelation and thought of existence being a simulation is an interesting conclusion, but come on, throw me a bone with some explicit fanfare.

Actually, when going to the center of a galaxy
you're being thrown out of Euclid, the first galaxy, to a random planet in Hilbert, the next galaxy. Everyone goes through a linear set of galaxies as they reach the center, IIRC.

However, yeah, one of the current downsides with the game is the lack of significant events except for the Atlas questline and its bit of plot.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point HG patches the game to allow accrual of the extreme planets over the course of play in different places instead of asking the playing to kick it in one generally unpleasant place for 8 hours.

Top Bottom