• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Wow the path to the Galaxy center is definitely a grind. I'm barely making a dent so far with my fully upgraded hyperdrives.

So can people confirm that planets get progressively more bizarre the closer you get to the center? I've enjoyed exploring so far but if the procedural generation isn't going to ramp up on my way to the center I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to make it there....

Best thing to do is create your own path to the center by jumping to the other star types. The red, green, and blue ones. Those do seem to be a bit wilder. At least from what I've seen.

Embearded

I never got hit with the save bug, thankfully, but when you say "fixed the crashes", do you mean completely?

If so, then I'm about to drop another 12 straight hours into the game.

1.04 fixed the very annoying warp crash.
1.05 fixed the discovery crash, which was happening if you exited the discovery menu before the game completed the upload.

These two things are the most important imo, along with the save bug of course.

- download new patch
- start game
- warp once
- game crashes

- load again
- game crashes while loading

Great! Now not only the center is a fuckilion ly aways, we got to deal with that shit again....
Sorry for being so pessimistic, but they really fucked it up...

WeTeHa

Well at least I was just able to warp a couple times without crashing. Just need a few more warps for my last milestone...

Unicorn

Dunno if it's been mentioned but there's an equivalent to the Melee boost for water.

I call it dolphin diving, but in the water you jetpack up all the way, but then as you fall back into the water look straight down and hold forward. Momentum continues and you can look and aim where you want to swim at accelerated speed. Momentum also carries from land to see via melee boosting too. I actually really enjoy water exploration as survival is an actual threat. I wish storms made your meter plummet faster. Maybe I just haven't been to a bad enough planet with extreme extreme storms.

Tip for y'all.

Nesther

Has someone tried switching from the DLC ship to a new ship with the new patches installed? Has the hyperdrive bug been finally fixed?

Durden77

Just stared playing a few hours ago. Please tell me I get more inventory slots and soon. Also it's really dumb that you can't look at what you can craft if your inventory is full.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Game has been completely crap with crashes since the patch for me. I'm shelving the game for a few weeks.

This is shaping up like one of those ones where people will have wildly varied experiences when it comes to the stability of the game.

Hope I don't jinx it, but mine's been running rock solid since 1.04, aside from pausing for a split-second every time I warp to a new system.

The good news is it looks like we'll be getting some consistent support, in terms of frequent patches.

Looking for some help.

I'm on a planet which has extreme conditions, the Sols section was increasing but has stopped at 8.0
I've tried getting in my ship and moving to another part of the surface, going into a random cave / building and out again, let the day/night cycle carry on for a while, restarted the game, even left the planet, visited the local space station and went back, it won't increase even though it shows it's still extreme conditions.
I'm on the latest patch for the PS4.

Are you sure? My vortex cubes take 1 slot as usual

He probably dismantled a ship upgrade and didn't realize it gave him a Vortex stack. Once you have a stack (from dismantling) you can keep adding to it up to the limit unless you sell the whole stack.
I've got stacks of Grav Balls, Vortex Cubes, Neutrino Modules, Dimensional Matrix, Microdensity Fabric, Carite Sheets and Dynamic Resonators all using this method.

So many items need stacking added to them, I hope they can implement it soon.

He probably dismantled a ship upgrade and didn't realize it gave him a Vortex stack. Once you have a stack (from dismantling) you can keep adding to it up to the limit unless you sell the whole stack.

Holy crap, is that a thing? Thanks for the explanation

Baalzebup

So, what determines what kind of ship Ill see when I find a crashed ship? Is is what alien race inhabits that system?

There is a set pool of ships for each system, which is used for all ship traffic in the system and for all crashed ships. Some are far more rare, but there is still a certain number of configurations available per system. No idea how much the controlling race has effects the pool of chassis types.

IvanJ

Banned
Looking for some help.

I'm on a planet which has extreme conditions, the Sols section was increasing but has stopped at 8.0
I've tried getting in my ship and moving to another part of the surface, going into a random cave / building and out again, let the day/night cycle carry on for a while, restarted the game, even left the planet, visited the local space station and went back, it won't increase even though it shows it's still extreme conditions.
I'm on the latest patch for the PS4.

Since you've left the planet, you will need to restart from zero.
The counter, however, does not reset, it keeps your "high score".

So now you need to spend another 32 sols to get to rank 10, and once you manage to reach 8.0 the counter should start working again. In real time, one sol is 15 minutes, so you are looking at 8 hours.

My suggestion, sit inside the building next to a save pilon. Every 60-90 minutes refill your life support, step outside, save and return.
That way, even if something goes wrong, you can reload the save and continue from there.

Autofokus

I've got stacks of Grav Balls, Vortex Cubes, Neutrino Modules, Dimensional Matrix, Microdensity Fabric, Carite Sheets and Dynamic Resonators all using this method.

Oh, I didn't know that.
My wife is playing right now, so I just took a quick picture of her inventory. Before the latest patch, those 5 empty inv slots were filled with cubes, so I assumed they stack now..

Went to a desert moon last night. No fauna at all. Pretty much a wasteland, but there was something really evocative about the scenery that made it hard to leave.

It also had the only tall, sheer canyon cliffs I've seen. But I think it was also glitching the geometry, as one outpost was halfway over the edge of a cliff, and a crashed ship site was floating in the air, while the ground was making water sounds.

Sometimes the landscapes NMS generates are pretty magical.
PVmbn47.jpg
The grass in this game can look a bit rough at times, but then there's moments like this.

Speaking of tall cliffs, somehow I ended up with a blue POI on my HUD labeled Heredium Deposit, on a planet I hadn't visited yet. Why it thought I cared about that when there's probably 10,000 other Heredium pillars in this system I don't know, but I went there just to get the damn thing off my HUD. Apparently walking up to it wasn't enough, I actually had to be at the top. Problem was this was the tallest deposit I've seen...felt like 100 feet or so? So I had to mine my way inside it and up to the top, creating a staircase of sorts.

This is shaping up like one of those ones where people will have wildly varied experiences when it comes to the stability of the game.

Hope I don't jinx it, but mine's been running rock solid since 1.04, aside from pausing for a split-second every time I warp to a new system.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm playing a completely different build than other people. I'm on PS4 and I've crashed three times, the first two during 1.03, and the other was a borked blueprint dispenser I think on 1.04. Other than that, no real problems. I use rest mode all the time, though I close out and restart every couple days to be safe.

I might suggest to others to rebuild your PS4 database (if you're on PS4). I can't understand how some people are getting hit with this stuff so much more though. I guess I should count myself lucky.

I think getting into your ship resets the counter anyway, at least thats what I read when I did it. I just set my life support to max with upgrades and just found a shelter and just chilled there and did something else. Even set an alarm to check life support :p

Looping back around for this: I can confirm that getting into or out of your ship does not actually reset the survival timer, it just pauses it. That is, you don't accrue any sols while in your ship, but once you get out you start accruing them again (unless you left the planet while in your ship, in which case it sounds like you DO reset the timer).

Poetaster

Banned
Weird. I now have someone elses discovered galaxy, which I have never been to, showing up in my list right under my starter galaxy.

Aenima

Has someone tried switching from the DLC ship to a new ship with the new patches installed? Has the hyperdrive bug been finally fixed?

You can find hyperdrives blueprints as random loot. I used the dlc ship in the 1st day game was launched and still got a blueprint for the hyperdrive.

Just go to a space station and ask to buy a npc ship. If the ship has an hyperdrive, then ur not bugged. (you dont need to buy the ship, just look at what upgrades the ship has)

AGoodODST

Holy sht, just got the Atlas Pass v2 blue print.

I literally just said to myself " one more ops centre then bed" haha. I knew it straight away as the message was new after choosing the correct response.

Aenima

Weird. I now have someone elses discovered galaxy, which I have never been to, showing up in my list right under my starter galaxy.

Probably you clicked to search for nearby discoveries, i think if u look at them even not going there they stay in ur list with a yellow icon.

Aenima

Holy sht, just got the Atlas Pass v2 blue print.

I literally just said to myself " one more ops centre then bed" haha. I knew it straight away as the message was new after choosing the correct response.

You can get v2 and v3 from Space Anomalys. (same NPC that game u the v1 will give u the others if u keep completig his requests). Thats how i got them all.

Got all excited seeing a new patch is out so boot up the game and yup, crashed twice in just a few minutes.. fuuuuck I just want to play the fucking game! Is that too much to ask?

Aenima

The game really have improved alot to me. Was getting about 5 crashes a day, most from warping or quiting the discovery menu. In the last 2 days the game crashes only 2 times. Is still 2 times more than i wished, but is much better now for me.

NeoRausch

I....

I think scanning flying lifeforms got a lot easier now!

Just had a planet with a load of flying eels of all kinds. Just zoomed in and scanned them all with ease.

Aenima

I....

I think scanning flying lifeforms got a lot easier now!

Just had a planet with a load of flying eels of all kinds. Just zoomed in and scanned them all with ease.

Eels are really easy to scan, they almost dont move :p The hard to do is the small birds that fly all over the place. you need to follow them with the cursor right on them for a time for the scan to start. I usually just shoot 1 bird with the mining laser and scan the dead body.
Hey its for science :p

belvedere

Junior Butler
Saw my first planet with true mountains last night. I've seen large hills and land masses before, but these were truly mountains - tall enough to where I could barely make out my ship below.

r1chard

Got the full upgrades, got a sweet ride, just cruising around the galaxy now (got to figure how to get off the Atlas path now I've screwed up and sold a bunch of stones and really can't be bothered exploiting some bug to get them back).

Found a t-rex alike
giphy.gif

(also, my first gif effort, kinda crap, slightly longer vid on youtube)

JarrodL

Found what looked from orbit like a cool vulcanic planet with lava rivers. But from the surface it looked more like Mars from Total Recall, especially during stormy weather. A bit disappointing. Has anyone seen a planet with actual lava?

Aenima

Wait.

For the extreme planet we are looking at around 8hours REAL time to get the trophy?

For my counts, 1 sol is about 10 minutes, maybe a bit more so yeah 5 to 8 hours. Inside the ship the time dont count. I just let the game iddle inside a cave while was doing other stuff on the computer, and almost completed the 30 sols in that night, then just did a bit more in the day after and it was done. Dont forget to save and replenish the life suport from time to time. :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay, it's been a few game hours since I lost my previous functional ship. And I've been looking for it exactly where I left it, but it's not there. Essentially I suspect the game removed the ship after I wandered off for a bit looking for Zinc to fix the new ship I switched to.

Between the time I left it to today, I have installed OS 4.0 beta 2 and NMS patch 1.05 so I had to restart/reload the game.

I'm so mad right now. Literally stranded on a desert planet. I've even wandered for hours trying to look for any traders or posts that will trade/sell Zinc to get off this planet. I don't want to restart and lose all those hours.

This really sucks.

I'm on a desolate planet with animal species. It's incredibly Zinc deprived. I made the mistake of switching to a crashed ship, but not having enough Zinc to fix the Pulse Engine. And now I lost my old ship... I can either wander aimlessly to find my old ship, or continue to find 11 freaking units of Zinc.

Any advice? Am I missing an obvious resource of Zinc?

Found what looked from orbit like a cool vulcanic planet with lava rivers. But from the surface it looked more like Mars from Total Recall, especially during stormy weather. A bit disappointing. Has anyone seen a planet with actual lava?

There's no lava (or volcanoes) unfortunately, but since there's no rivers with flowing water either, that makes sense. I hope things that are regular fixtures of sci-book covers like volcanoes, ringed planets, binary systems, and craters will be added at some point. Having real flowing water and waterfalls would also be nice. And ice that looks like ice.

mokeyjoe

There's no lava (or volcanoes) unfortunately, but since there's no rivers with flowing water either, that makes sense. I hope things that are regular fixtures of sci-book covers like volcanoes, ringed planets, binary systems, and craters will be added at some point. Having real flowing water and waterfalls would also be nice. And ice that looks like ice.

Adding in liquid mechanics would be fantastic. Probably possible?

In terms of volcanism I have see steam venting from planets and pools of bubbling tar.

mokeyjoe

Okay, it's been a few game hours since I lost my previous functional ship. And I've been looking for it exactly where I left it, but it's not there. Essentially I suspect the game removed the ship after I wandered off for a bit looking for Zinc to fix the new ship I switched to.

Between the time I left it to today, I have installed OS 4.0 beta 2 and NMS patch 1.05 so I had to restart/reload the game.

I'm so mad right now. Literally stranded on a desert planet. I've even wandered for hours trying to look for any traders or posts that will trade/sell Zinc to get off this planet. I don't want to restart and lose all those hours.

This really sucks.

I know it must suck for you, but I kind of like the concept of the 'stranded' challenge.

Top Bottom