• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Opa-Pa

So uuh, I was finally done exploring this planet and I accidentally hit starship scan when exiting its atmosphere, it marked an abandoned building. Eh, whatever. I visit this other planet that turns out has a lot of resources and a friendly environment, cool... But the marker is still there pointing me to the previous planet. I reset the game and it's still there. I go back because I'm annoyed and of course it's a building I already discovered and the marker is pointing that terminal with fungi I already inspected so I can't interact with it anymore and I'm stuck with the stupid marker.

Any known way to get rid of these? An obvious solution is warping to another system, but I'd rather not. I mean, I have an entire new planet to explore.

I'm on PS4 btw.

*snip*
giphy.gif

GDI.

I'm trying to upload planets when I have found all species on a planet AKA the ones without any so I can get those Zoology trophies. But after uploading my first one (which worked), all my planets say they are 100% complete despite not actually being complete. I can't even upload the ones without any animals. Anyone else running into a similar issue?

Codeblew

I saw Omegon in the pre-release streams, but not since the day one patch rerolled the universe. No idea if it still spawns, but considering the number of worlds I've been to, I'm thinking it does not. It used to be in big blueish floating crystal things that you'd break chunks off of and harvest.

I have gotten several thousands of them by dismantling upgrades on my ship before taking a crashed ship. I sold all but a stack of 500 of them.

Fess

I love this game, even though it lacks a lot.

It allows my mind to go crazy and role play. Narrate my own story. It's a great game to put Spotify or a podcast to.

BUT IT FUCKING CRASHES ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Or just randomly stops saving (which I think I read was fixed?)
You'll hate me for this...
I've been playing since the launch day, 38 hours in total now, and the game haven't crashed a single time yet. Not once. Seriously. No saving issues either. And very little performance issues. I must honestly have exactly the same hardware as the devs or something. :/

So, I got the plans to build a life support system and an environmental protection suit, but these are things you start out with... and there's no way to destroy yours to rebuild in a different slot...

A holdover of some mechanic that was removed from the game?

subrock

I'm glad the new patches fixed all the crashes I was seeing. Enjoying dinking around much more without losing progress to bugs

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Has anyone tried to do the math on whether those 'synergies' between adjacent upgrades are real?

So, I got the plans to build a life support system and an environmental protection suit, but these are things you start out with... and there's no way to destroy yours to rebuild in a different slot...

A holdover of some mechanic that was removed from the game?
Probably. Maybe letting you scrap those was ditched due to the potential of screwing over unknowing players.

Was this posted yet?. A lengthy analysis and discussion from a developer perspective (Paul Kilduff-Taylor, one of the founders of Mode7, who made Frozen Synapse)
https://blog.mode7games.com/promising-the-earth-no-mans-sky-c6227ae3a35d#.g4e3rcqs7
While I believe that Hello Games have been treated unfairly, I certainly don’t consider their approach to be perfect. My own PR and marketing efforts could always be better: placed under the same immense pressure, I’m sure I would falter as well.

Also, do not think for one second I am questioning the fact that developers should strive for accuracy and honesty when marketing their games. That is never in question and we should condemn any developer for genuinely deceitful behaviour.

I want to explore some specific claims and provide some context. Let’s blast off into the thrilling vacuum of the beyond!

Poyunch

So I find this perfect planet that I wanted to spend all my time on: cool looking natural formations, lost of trees and grass, and animals of almost every type.

I then find a transmission tower that leads me towards a ruins and I realize as I continue to travel towards it that it would be an underwater ruins. I was ecstatic. What a great photo op? Could this actually be a perfect planet for me?

And of course... you can't win them all.

I guess this is some sort of karma for laughing at a predatory fish that spawned on land.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I read something the other day that there are 13 galaxies, and aparrantly a massive portal in the center of the final galaxy has 13 glyphs or something on it that relate to the different galaxies, i can't find the bloody thing now, i'll keep looking.

If thats true then I'm thinking once you hit the center of the 13th Galaxy you get the portals open allowing you to galaxy hop

Even if that's true, expecting people to do it 13 or 11 times is just flat out unreasonable.

So I find this perfect planet that I wanted to spend all my time on: cool looking natural formations, lost of trees and grass, and animals of almost every type.

I then find a transmission tower that leads me towards a ruins and I realize as I continue to travel towards it that it would be an underwater ruins. I was ecstatic. What a great photo op? Could this actually be a perfect planet for me?

I guess this is some sort of karma for laughing at a predatory fish that spawned on land.

I had a creature like that on one of my planets. Kept on trying to swim around vertically oriented :( Creature would've been cool otherwise.

Poyunch

I had a creature like that on one of my planets. Kept on trying to swim around vertically oriented :( Creature would've been cool otherwise.

I've had it happen a few times with a couple of other species, I think the AI wants to swim deeper so they start orienting down if the water is too shallow.

Has anyone tried to do the math on whether those 'synergies' between adjacent upgrades are real?

Probably. Maybe letting you scrap those was ditched due to the potential of screwing over unknowing players.

I was hoping that finding the blueprints would allow me to destroy them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

This seems like a relatively common bug, with some underwater landmarks not appearing, particularly ruins.

I was hoping that finding the blueprints would allow me to destroy them.
You know, that'd probably be a good solution. Not letting you scrap those things before you can replace them, but letting you do so later for any personal organization needs. That'd work.

r1chard

I'm not sure I understand you folks speculating about whether there'll be some ultimate point to the game if you complete it 11 or 13 times since the developer has stated that the game is a "chill game" with no point beyond "if they play it linearly and go from the outer edge of the galaxy to the centre of the galaxy, that's their start and end of the game kind of thing."

It's about exploring your existential crisis through the media of walking simulator and sci-fi book cover art generator :)

Also, if you spotify, this is a really nice playlist inspired by the music in the game.

Speely

Banned
You'll hate me for this...
I've been playing since the launch day, 38 hours in total now, and the game haven't crashed a single time yet. Not once. Seriously. No saving issues either. And very little performance issues. I must honestly have exactly the same hardware as the devs or something. :/

Same. Not one crash on PC. I had a lot of performance issues at launch, but most of them are gone now. And I never had a crash.

melkier33

I had a sloppy linked maxed out laser beam, I deleted it all and did a more planned out placement like people suggest. I didn't notice any difference, I assume just having them all chained is good enough. I can't imagine that the current state of the game went in deep enough for any serious placement to matter.

Was this posted yet?. A lengthy analysis and discussion from a developer perspective (Paul Kilduff-Taylor, one of the founders of Mode7, who made Frozen Synapse)
https://blog.mode7games.com/promising-the-earth-no-mans-sky-c6227ae3a35d#.g4e3rcqs7

Thanks, hadn't seen that. I always felt the focus of multiplayer by people (even here on GAF, even by some big fans) was overblown and at times entirely unrealistic, believing that somehow Hello was secretly building a Destiny-style MMO on the sly, despite the best attempts of you and I and others to dissuade them from this. I think, after the incident with the Twitch streamers, and Sean's Twitter response, and the data mining and packet sniffing that found no player locations were even being sent, that how Sean handled being "caught red-handed" was far worse than the fact that they dropped the MP component from the game. He needs to be more honest and direct during the bad moments, because those things go much farther with customers than silence or vague statements.

With a game like NMS, we all have our own "multiplayer", our own feature which we felt was crucial to what makes NMS what it was supposed to be. For me, it was star systems just being faked when we were told they'd be at least somewhat realistic representations of real systems. For others, it may be the Faction system, or the diversity of planets, or something else. If they weren't doing free updates, maybe I'd have a different opinion, but right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and trusting that Hello's intentions are in the right place, even if the execution of the vision they conjured in our heads didn't always live up to our expectations.

Really, the only thing I can really hold Hello's feet to the fire over right now is the PS4 pre-order dynamic theme. Because it's straight-up not dynamic, it's a JPEG. That was false advertising and they need to make that right.

Right now you'll have to excuse me, because I just landed on a scorched planet with 2-meter tall carnivorous T-rexes who have a mean streak and are looking a bit snacky.

golem

Its amazing what lengths the author goes to defend Hello Games.

His main point seems to be that we the audience need to be able to see through a developer's bullshit and accurately predict what kind of game we're actually getting, despite millions of dollars of advertising spent trying to convince us to just swallow the bullshit. Then he goes on to claim that livestreams and reviews would give us an accurate depiction of the final product, when pre-release Twitch bans and release date review embargos make it as hard as possible to counter any sort of hype train. I suppose only a developer could convince himself to believe that it's not at all the developer's fault that they couldn't deliver what they promised (and never bothered to un-promise).

Further in the article he brings up some strawman about NDAs and evil publishers when the fact is Hello Games self-published their own title to retain control! He goes on to complain about marketing and the difficulty of crafting press releases, but tries to use evidence of Sean Murray downplaying the mulitplayer aspects of the game on Twitter as proof of sufficient messaging that gamers ignored-- nevermind the next immediate tweet suggesting that it is a limitation that is the result of the immense size of the universe, not a simple 'we weren't able to get it working in time'.

Frankly it just comes off as a long winded, poorly thought out excuse for his fellow developer. But he should have paid attention to his own warning to us in the article, just because someone is good at spewing alot of bullshit doesn't make any of it true.

Tonight I maxed out my backpack slots and found a planet with Radnox to install that final multi-tool upgrade. Now I'm trying to find that perfect planet to take screenshots of, but to be honest I feel a bit less motivated without something built into the game to go for. I'm getting my copy of Deus Ex in a day or two so will play that, we'll see how motivated I am when I return.

hate train for this game is unbelievable at times

unrelated to any recent post in here probably but it's just crazy

What's crazy to me is that a lot of it is purely people jumping on the bandwagon. A lot of the complaints are valid, but a lot of them aren't, but it's the popular thing right now to hate on the game. It's really quite bizarre.

Thinking about streaming where I'm at right now. Landed on a really nice planet, and planning to galaxy hop a bit in my new ship (which I just disassembled many of the components of so I can install them in appropriate ways). Would anyone be interested in seeing this or chatting with a fellow NMS gaffer?

HeeHo

Yeah, it's really annoying to see people who have most likely never even played the game exclaim it's trash and are so upset about it. I have even seen other posters try to convince people they are wrong for enjoying the game and that they are blinded by their initial hype for the game.

I got what I wanted out of the exploration from the game and the game definitely needs a little more diversity amongst other updates but I still enjoy the game pretty much daily. Although, apparently it is such a colossal disappointment and we have to be reminded constantly.

So after saving freighters from what seemed like 15 attacking ships, I was given a trading post marker. I decide what the hell, I'll check it out, even though I was done the planet. Land the ship and I see this gold pillar and I'm thinking "That seems a bit large".

I move closer and notice it's in a ravine.

It's difficult to get a sense of just how fucking tall this thing is. I had to stitch together 2 images to get a good perspective.
Ansel support, please

giphy.gif

Hahahaha!

Aselith

How do I get the recipe for Hyperdrive? I landed on a planet and took a ship with more slots but didn't realize it didn't have a hyperdrive on it. And I can make the Warp Drive augments but not the Hyperdrive to use with them.

How do I get the recipe for Hyperdrive? I landed on a planet and took a ship with more slots but didn't realize it didn't have a hyperdrive on it. And I can make the Warp Drive augments but not the Hyperdrive to use with them.
Did you start with the DLC ship? If not, go check out some settlements on the planet or space station and you should eventually run into someone who rewards you with the recipe.

So uuh, I was finally done exploring this planet and I accidentally hit starship scan when exiting its atmosphere, it marked an abandoned building. Eh, whatever. I visit this other planet that turns out has a lot of resources and a friendly environment, cool... But the marker is still there pointing me to the previous planet. I reset the game and it's still there. I go back because I'm annoyed and of course it's a building I already discovered and the marker is pointing that terminal with fungi I already inspected so I can't interact with it anymore and I'm stuck with the stupid marker.

Any known way to get rid of these? An obvious solution is warping to another system, but I'd rather not. I mean, I have an entire new planet to explore.

I'm on PS4 btw.

GDI.

The game is buggy as shit. Markers and quests tasks just overlap each other and they don't disappear. The game will tell you you're exhausted while you're flying in the middle of nowhere. That marker may leave if you leave the solar system.

Osahi

Last few systems I was in were all allready discovered by someone else. I'm following the Atlas Path, so I assume we got on the same route to the anomalies and stuff. It's strange knowing somebody has been in these systems allready, and in a strange way it hampers my enjoyment I get out of the game. I leave systems way earlier then I would've anyway, as I don't feel like I'm discovering.

Yesterday I was able to land on an undiscovered planet in a discovered system though, and it looks like a good one, so I'll stick around a bit I guess. :)

Did you use your preorder ship? If not, just following the tutorial should net you the blueprint. If you did, go exploring, talk to aliens, visit abandoned buildings. You'll get the print sooner or later.

IvanJ

Banned
64 warps, 30.000 light years. Another 150K or so to go. So, another 325 warps (probably closer to 350). I cannot allow myself to continue on.

Madden tomorrow.

It's been fun, had a great time for about 40 hours (and not so great for another 20), it is time to put the game away. At least until a meaningful content update.

Roussow

I got sick of straight warping, ended up doing some Black Holes. Now I need to grind out resources to repair all my Hyperdrives, I have regrets.

Opa-Pa

Thanks for sharing this. It's pretty in line with my views on all this drama, and it's great go read more developers' perspectives.

I knew it was bad already, but I'm coming from the Angry Joe review thread and yikes, it really is out of control. I can definitely understand being disappointed if you have followed the game's development closely, but to immediately assume it's all part of a nasty scheme by Sean and company to fool consumers instead of a series of unfortunate events that ended in miscommunication... I don't know, it's just weird to me. Everyone's way too comfortable calling him a liar.

I'm pretty sure he truly believed everything 'promised' was doable at the time. It sucks that they couldn't clear things up in time as it's terrible for consumers, but I really doubt it was just because they didn't want to.

I'm having a lovely time with this game despite its flaws and think some of the things in it are genuinely unbelievable, and the team behind it strikes me as very sincere and passionate, so I'd hate to see them doomed because of all this :/ I hope there's a happy ending for everyone involved, somehow.

And yeah I know I could have just posted this in that thread but that'd be suicide lol.

(Also youtube personalities should really be more careful. Sure, trash the game all you want if it under delivers in your opinion, but straight up calling devs liars instead of at least speculating other reasons behind miscommunication is incredibly irresponsible, deae god).

Aselith

Did you use your preorder ship? If not, just following the tutorial should net you the blueprint. If you did, go exploring, talk to aliens, visit abandoned buildings. You'll get the print sooner or later.

I did and I have been playing for 22 hours and talked to countless aliens and did tons of abandoned buildings and never got it. Good shit.

Aselith

Man, I went to see if I could buy a s hip at the local space station that would give me a Hyperdrive to replace my ship and NONE of them have a fucking hyperdrive nor do any of the crashed ships I found.

This is unreal.

Finally got my platinum trophy!

Overall a fantastic game and I look forward to seeing how the team evolve it over time.

*edit: can people see the image above? Having a lot of images I link to not show up on my end for some reason recently regardless of where I'm linking from.

Razgreez

Man, I went to see if I could buy a s hip at the local space station that would give me a Hyperdrive to replace my ship and NONE of them have a fucking hyperdrive nor do any of the crashed ships I found.

This is unreal.

You've basically left your fate up to RNG-sus. The hyperdrive (like launch thrusters etc.) beluprints do show up but are completely random. You may want to start over as it will likely be quicker than attempting to find the blueprint

onken

I have all 3 warp drives but why is it when I warp to a star 1500ly away (towards the big shiny thing which I presume is the center..) I have only gotten 500ly or so closer?

Embearded

I have all 3 warp drives but why is it when I warp to a star 1500ly away (towards the big shiny thing which I presume is the center..) I have only gotten 500ly or so closer?

That's because the 1500ly are linear but the distance from the center is through the path.

Ridwald

I asked myself the same question this weekend and, if i understand it right, when you Warp you actually travel 1500 ish light-years but not in a straight line to the center. The distance to the center is expressed in a straight line (177000 ish light-years to the center).

Your warp has to go through "waypoints" which are the systems on your path. The path can be pretty chaotic sometimes so you really travel 1500ish LY but not straight to the center. When you warp you really gain 400/500ish LY of progress to the center.

That's what i got from my experiences, hope it was clear :)

Haunted

Question in the hopes of a non-spoiler answer: Is it true that things get crazier/more wild the closer you get to the core? In terms of extreme planets, wildlife, fauna. That would be one of the key motivators to make the trek for me.

noomi

When do I finally get to meet
Nada & Polo :(

I've warped 4 times (1 time to see atlas interface) and now I see a 2nd atlas interface waypoint :/

I want my atlas pass v1

Haunted

So after saving freighters from what seemed like 15 attacking ships, I was given a trading post marker. I decide what the hell, I'll check it out, even though I was done the planet. Land the ship and I see this gold pillar and I'm thinking "That seems a bit large".

I move closer and notice it's in a ravine.

It's difficult to get a sense of just how fucking tall this thing is. I had to stitch together 2 images to get a good perspective.
Ansel support, please

giphy.gif
That's awesome.

I hope you respected this marvel of nature and didn't even think about mining it.

KeRaSh

Maxed my ship and got the upgrades I want. Maxed my exo suit and multi tool with the upgrades I want. Finished the Atlas path and was OK with what I got.

I know the creation of a planet is just a line of text but it would be cool if the game would actually place a new dot on the map with your name on it when someone finishes the quest line. I was just a little disappointed that there were so many hints about the Atlas being some sahdy, maybe even evil entity and at the end it's something good?

Now I'm off to the center of the galaxy. Is looking for black holes the fastest way and how long should I expect to be doing this to reach the center?

Top Bottom