• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Razgreez

PROTIP-TIP: When you disassemble tech from a ship you switched to, single-slot items become 1/100, so cubes / orbs / sheets / etc. can can exist within those stacks and be swapped back to exo suit (just don't use up the whole stack or the next one of that object will be 1/1 again)!

Ah so this must have been what occurred.

I should really read the last few hundred posts one or twice before posting XD

I left behind the star system with my Cube Farm and jetted off into the wild red yonder. I've got a fair amount of inventory in my ship and exosuit, so exploring is never "shit, outta space," and I'd rather see what's out there than grind in one place for everything. The new star system is off the beaten path; literally, I opened up the star map, turned off waypoints and picked the nearest red star since I haven't been to one yet. I've abandoned the path of Atlas; I just want to see new things. The new system has planets with sensational climates and flora; wide sweeping grass plains, trees, weird alien looking things.... but no animals. Anywhere. On any planet. Kinda boring, really. Guess it's time to boot up the hyperdrive and see what else is out there.

I only slightly regret leaving behind a surefire $10MM+ credits per hour.... but I'm never gonna find that place again. Can't figure out the star map for the life of me.

I am just a jealous PS4 player lol. Post some pics when you can!

I need to find a better system far from the outer edge to really show off the Deep Space mod IN space, but here's one on a Planet just before sunrise (not a moon):

d217ba4fe8.jpg

Just platinumed it. My first platinum ever. Not going to bother going to the center as it's pointless.

Congrats! I figure this will be a good game to plat (I'm about 3 short) and then come back to once a week for a while to zone out after a long day at work, but I can definitely see myself diving back in to poke around whenever HG adds in more stuff.

I need to find a better system far from the outer edge to really show off the Deep Space mod IN space, but here's one on a Planet just before sunrise (not a moon):

That looks so good, I'm a bit jealous of you PC folk.

Semi-related note... I really hope Sean will reconsider the short day/night cycles. What's the point of landing on the night side of the planet if every cycle is 20 minutes (or whatever it is)? I'd really like day/night cycles that vary from planet to planet, but overall much more realistic time scales.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My frustration continues to grow.

To recap:

-Accidentally discarded an Atlas Stone, leaving me with 9 before the final station.

-Tried reverting patches in GOG version to see if I could bring back the duplication glitch to get an Atlas stone back--didn't work.

-Decided to go to the final station, per advice in this thread, and see if it would give me one. It didn't. So I walked away since I only had 9 stones and decided to go farming for money to try and buy another one.

-Farmed and bought one for 2.8 million. Atlas path gone from the map so go hopping around looking for Anomaly to hopefully get path back.

-Find Anomaly finally, but no more option for Atlas path. Just shortcut to center and materials to help options.

So now I have 10 stones I apparently can't use, and I'm still 171K light years from the center. Goddamn. I'm nearly 50 hours in and would like to just get their to be "done." Found a PC mod where I can at least just keep refilling hyperdrive fuel without farming the mats, but still will take ages to jump that far barring getting lucky with finding anomalys/black holes.

This has really soured me on the game. It's so damn repetitive, they could have at least made it less obtuse to "beat."

Trouble

Banned
So, are some ships arbitrarily extremely rare? I found a ship I like in my current system and I want to upgrade my 47 slot to that model 48 slot. I've probably visited at least three dozen crashed ships and never saw it. In fact it seems that probably 30+ of those were two specific (ugly-ass) ship models. Really annoyed right now.

That looks so good, I'm a bit jealous of you PC folk.

Semi-related note... I really hope Sean will reconsider the short day/night cycles. What's the point of landing on the night side of the planet if every cycle is 20 minutes (or whatever it is)? I'd really like day/night cycles that vary from planet to planet, but overall much more realistic time scales.

I'd much MUCH prefer it if we got working solar systems, but that doesn't seem to be possible with the way the game is currently structured. I'd take just rotating planets and orbiting moons at this point.

Here's one more of the Deep Space Mod, this time actually in space (but still in the outer rim, so few stars):

d2ad908295.jpg

I didn't really mind the very colorful "Sci-fi book cover" aesthetic of the vanilla game, but I gotta say this really feels way more like SPACE.

BizzyBum

So black holes definitely speed up the process of getting to the center by a bit, but having something break every time is no bueno. Once your warp drives start breaking, it's game over man. Sure, you can stockpile elements to fix on the spot but it's more downtime then it's worth. I'm just going to warp regularly now. It's a bit slower but much easier to farm the elements to make warp cells so there's less down time in the long run.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'm starting to wonder now if there's things that broke when the game went live that were not play tested.

Reasoning behind this is the fact there are MANY signs of stuff that was but not working. some things I can think of off the bat are

Portals

Ship Scanner (Indications that there is a meter on the right hand side to show its level

The blueprints of things you cannot use at all like life support and whatnot.

Sentinel spawns and 5 star rank on planet. Walkers exist and the dogs but are never seen untill their rank

Star types in my travels mean jack shit. I actually find more stuff on common star systems... odd...

The fact Sean seemed surprised people already (met up) in game even though they cannot see each other.

And Planet variety and changes the more extreme the closer you get to the center... NOPE! Seen some interesting places but isn't getting more wild at 80,000 away from where I was at 180,000

Something more is going on here than we know.

Either
A) Sean has to take many functions out to get the game to pass and to add in once the game is stable and functions are working right

B) Something borked the game with how it is processing evidence by when flying to the "sun" causes the game to completely break and get really messed up.

C)Decided to rip out all the features and trash them for no good reason and ... I dunno...

So, are some ships arbitrarily extremely rare? I found a ship I like in my current system and I want to upgrade my 47 slot to that model 48 slot. I've probably visited at least three dozen crashed ships and never saw it. In fact it seems that probably 30+ of those were two specific (ugly-ass) ship models. Really annoyed right now.

I've found that you can only grind 10 or so ships in a given area (or maybe even planet) before it starts feeding you nothing but lower tier freighters. If you've tried every planet in your system in multiple locations on each planet/moon, then....that sucks, sorry. You could always strip your ship bare and try to buy that ship you want in a station, but that's assuming you have enough cash to even get close to a stripped down 48 slotter (which can vary, but I think will still be in the 25-30mil range).

Muzicfreq

Banned
Kinda a spoiler but is in the 1.03 patch notes
The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.

Aselith

Deep space mod; so beautiful:

Not only does this look amazing but it bumped up my framerate a ton. Like I was hitting 35-40 most times now it's like rock solid 60-70 although there was a bit of hitching. I only played it for about 2 minutes though it may improve with play.

Trouble

Banned
I've found that you can only grind 10 or so ships in a given area (or maybe even planet) before it starts feeding you nothing but lower tier freighters. If you've tried every planet in your system in multiple locations on each planet/moon, then....that sucks, sorry. You could always strip your ship bare and try to buy that ship you want in a station, but that's assuming you have enough cash to even get close to a stripped down 48 slotter (which can vary, but I think will still be in the 25-30mil range).

I've got about 10 mil on hand, so purchasing isn't an option currently. I guess I'll try some other areas and planets. Thanks.

Aselith

Hurray! I managed to get out of my no Hyperdrive predicament by downloading Cheat Engine to give myself all technologies and making the hyperdrive with that. Still don't have the BP for normal play but I can use that to create it whenever so fuck it.

I went from 16 to 40 on one planet. You just have to keep moving to new areas or it'll start recycling locations that are empty.

OuterLimits

Oh look, another blueprint this damn game says I have but I don't. Shield blueprints for my ship are completely broken. Hopefully I can get the other warp drive upgrades. Only have Sigma so far.

So does the game continually try to give you these blueprints and will they eventually show up? For me at least it seems to mainly be ship ones that are broken. The multi tool and exosuit ones show up.

Wish the broken blueprint was something worthless like the rebounding grenades or something.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh look, another blueprint this damn game says I have but I don't. Shield blueprints for my ship are completely broken. Hopefully I can get the other warp drive upgrades. Only have Sigma so far.

So does the game continually try to give you these blueprints and will they eventually show up? For me at least it seems to mainly be ship ones that are broken. The multi tool and exosuit ones show up.

Wish the broken blueprint was something worthless like the rebounding grenades or something.

Yeah they will still show up again, happened to me with a warp drive blueprint and I still received it properly a little later. Frustrating bug though for sure.

From my personal experience the higher-level blueprints only "stick" when given by NPCs or from factory break-ins. I think the original intention was that these blueprints would only be given out in limited cases. My personal theory is that those dispensers that hand out blueprints like candy in every gdamn building were added late in development and not properly tested.

Mudron

After being stranded in my current star system after the game (PS4 version) ate my hyperdrive blueprint, I just realized that I keep losing even newer blueprints (including a +3 jetpack blueprint that I just received from an alien tonight but was nowhere to be found in my tech install menu), I'm shelving this goddamned game until it's patched into some kind of reasonable state.

I wasn't with the torch & pitchfork crowd at first and didn't understand their outrage, but, man, I have no idea how this game passed Sony certification - this is one of the few times in my life I'd seriously like to return a game (if I could) because of how buggy & incomplete this mess feels.

Slay

Note that if you get a ship with a Photonix Core on it, do not dismantle it unless you're okay with losing it permanently. I didn't know I couldn't technically build a 'Photonix Core' and I lost one this way. Not a big deal but just a heads up.

are you sure? because i can remeber geting the blueprint for this several times. I have it on my ship, i just don't remember if it was in that possition , or if i build it myself (i did a lot of dismantling/building on my ship).

14054458_947141818729767_3817787108013232080_o.jpg

P.S. I don't have any pre-order items

Always been a believer in this game, but it really bored me to death with its meters and the whole grind-fest gameplay.
I general I would say that this game is by far less ambitious and demanding than it should have been. All the planets have most of the resources and average conditions to help any player to get by and get back into space. The result it's a very "vanilla" samey experience everytime you land.
I'm also growing irritated by the fact that the game keeps giving me blueprints and words I already know or discovered. The game keeps trashing the time I spent grinding the resources I mined to get there.

are you sure? because i can remeber geting the blueprint for this several times. I have it on my ship, i just don't remember if it was in that possition , or if i build it myself (i did a lot of dismantling/building on my ship).

I definitely built the photonix core on my ship, since I dismantled everything when I found it. I did get the pre-order ship though and don't recall ever finding the photonix core blueprint. But you can definitely build photonix cores... or at least I can.

Fuser

I'd much MUCH prefer it if we got working solar systems, but that doesn't seem to be possible with the way the game is currently structured. I'd take just rotating planets and orbiting moons at this point.

Here's one more of the Deep Space Mod, this time actually in space (but still in the outer rim, so few stars):

d2ad908295.jpg

I didn't really mind the very colorful "Sci-fi book cover" aesthetic of the vanilla game, but I gotta say this really feels way more like SPACE.

That looks cool. This should be the standard, and like the nice planets, you should have a rare chance of getting into space that looks like the standard game.

The PS4 version is starting to look very weak not having any updates :(

Huh. Well, I arrived at my first Atlas station system last night. I was the first one to discover it. Five planets. So tonight I'm exploring them before I move on, and on my second planet I land and notice it doesn't give me a system info popup. That's weird. Check the discoveries and...wtf someone is here! Chancey_79 slipped into my system and took my planet! Wonder how many others they've discovered. I guess this means I'm in for more taken systems. So much for never meeting anyone...

OuterLimits

From my personal experience the higher-level blueprints only "stick" when given by NPCs or from factory break-ins. I think the original intention was that these blueprints would only be given out in limited cases. My personal theory is that those dispensers that hand out blueprints like candy in every gdamn building were added late in development and not properly tested.

Makes sense. It does seem ridiculous how many places give blueprints. My latest one was a actually in my 3rd Atlas building. When walking towards it, you learn some words, and apparently get a blueprint and two warp cells. The blueprint said I already had it and didn't show up unfortunately.

The only deflection shield I have been able to get is sigma. Both the Tau and Theta ones have been offered but don't show up, which sucks. I just found the warp drive sigma at a crash site and that showed up fortunately. Worried the other warp upgrades won't which will obviously kind of ruin the game. Encouraging that others have said it may eventually show up in your list though.

Never played a game I had such mixed feelings about. I really enjoy it and kind of hate it at the same time. :). Hopefully the updates add some decent content. I know Sean has said a fair amount of new content is coming, but I don't exactly believe him after all the exaggerations before release.

OuterLimits

I got to the center of my trophies!

Wow. Nice job. Only at 52 total right now. Sitting at a 2 in destroyed starships, a 1 in extreme survival, and 0 in zoology. Lol. Only 10s I have are units accrued and sentinels destroyed. Getting close on aliens met, on foot travel, and words collected.

Makes sense. It does seem ridiculous how many places give blueprints. My latest one was a actually in my 3rd Atlas building. When walking towards it, you learn some words, and apparently get a blueprint and two warp cells. The blueprint said I already had it and didn't show up unfortunately.

The only deflection shield I have been able to get is sigma. Both the Tau and Theta ones have been offered but don't show up, which sucks. I just found the warp drive sigma at a crash site and that showed up fortunately. Worried the other warp upgrades won't which will obviously kind of ruin the game. Encouraging that others have said it may eventually show up in your list though.

Yeah, I've eventually gotten some that were fake-given before, and it was always when not from a dispenser. So just talk to the aliens and bust open those factories and you should see them show up.

And yeah..it's been a frustrating ride, but I'm just trying to focus on the parts of the game I like and taking it slow, because I do think Hello wants to make things right and add some new stuff. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt anyway. I feel sorry for the team, as people, because they have to be so burned out, and now to have an internet hate storm against them, meanwhile trying to fix crashes and other bugs. I don't envy them right now.

Speaking of unenviable positions, I just found my new personal record for hottest planet – an Extreme planet labelled "Inferno" that has firestorms reaching 295ºC.

Haunted

What the Fuck, I started 178k LY from the core, visited a friend who newly bought a PS4 and started playing NMS on her acct and her starting system is like 59k LYs from the core.

I knew starting positions had a degree of randomness to them, but given the distances involved that seems a tad extreme.

bitbydeath

You have a lot of duplicates, do they stack?
And does that apply to all inventories like Stamina in the suit etc?

Slay

You have a lot of duplicates, do they stack?
And does that apply to all inventories like Stamina in the suit etc?

There is no duplicate tech, you cannot do that. But you can have a sigma AND a tau AND a theta upgrade installed at the same time, and yes i think they stack.

Behlel

Damn, pics? I'd love to see more "extreme" stuff in this thread

Nice, do you have pics from the bottom? I love this kind of stuff
I havent made a vid and now I struggle to find again the place lol, later today I'll try again, ot was so damn huge and extended vertically.

mulac

Found a good barran planet with decent fauna and animals.

For the 100% discover wildlife and plants trophy on ps4, any tips? Going for the plat...

Almost finished with the Atlas route and going to free roam to center when I'm done. But how the hell do you navigate the star map? Like someone else said in this thread, I can't for the life of me figure out what route to take. To damn confusing.

Almost finished with the Atlas route and going to free roam to center when I'm done. But how the hell do you navigate the star map? Like someone else said in this thread, I can't for the life of me figure out what route to take. To damn confusing.

Well, if you're not going to the center and the planets don't get different when you are near it (it seems the star classes only really sort of matter) what does it matter what route you're gonna take? :D I'm simply picking stars and just saying "that one". Not even paying attention to the distance. Occasionally going to the Atlas route.

Note that if you get a ship with a Photonix Core on it, do not dismantle it unless you're okay with losing it permanently. I didn't know I couldn't technically build a 'Photonix Core' and I lost one this way. Not a big deal but just a heads up.

I have the recipe for Photonix core. Built it on my ship.

NeoRausch

Wow. Nice job. Only at 52 total right now. Sitting at a 2 in destroyed starships, a 1 in extreme survival, and 0 in zoology. Lol. Only 10s I have are units accrued and sentinels destroyed. Getting close on aliens met, on foot travel, and words collected.
Gotta be honest, I cheesed the extreme planet one and the 100% planet one.

Is there any way to see the system's "specs" (i.e. star type, number of planets) again after discovering it? I remember it saying there's five planets in this system, but I can't seem to find the other two.

Top Bottom