• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

OuterLimits

What the Fuck, I started 178k LY from the core, visited a friend who newly bought a PS4 and started playing NMS on her acct and her starting system is like 59k LYs from the core.

I knew starting positions had a degree of randomness to them, but given the distances involved that seems a tad extreme.

59k from center? Yeah, that does seem close. Didn't know that could happen. I spawned 173,000 from center and felt fortunate I was a few thousand closer than some who are start around 180,000.

I'm still about 170,000 because I have mainly been on Atlas path which is taking me basically sideways. I need to abandon it for awhile and start moving towards the center.

59k from center? Yeah, that does seem close. Didn't know that could happen. I spawned 173,000 from center and felt fortunate I was a few thousand closer than some who are start around 180,000.

I'm still about 170,000 because I have mainly been on Atlas path which is taking me basically sideways. I need to abandon it for awhile and start moving towards the center.

I wonder if I need to do this. Since getting sidetracked by Atlas I've been stuck finding ships and multitools that are always 1 slot less than I currently have.

Spyware

After not having played for a while I realised I wanted to restart. I don't like the names I've given stuff and a couple of other reasons. Felt there wasn't anything I would miss from my old file, but I backed it up just in case :)

Anyways. Restarted and got a great starting planet. It has Gold, Iridium, Chrysonite and Aluminium. It's the most resource rich planet I've ever seen. :D
It has limited Sentinel presence and a really nice look too.

The sky is pink during the day and green at night :D
DknEIsT.png

uNXlrZV.png

XJhSSY4.png

Only "negative" part is that it's a bit cold. It drains the cold protection slowly at day and has "extreme night temperatures" that drains it a bit faster I guess. Nothing I mind :)

goonergaz

Are there any guides on how to use the map system - it seems really weird...for example;

1) I have no idea 'where' I am - or how far form the centre (or where the centre is)
2) I saw a different coloured sun so that seemed the closest - tried to go but needed extra warp power - then I selected what looked like a further away star and just warped!?
3) I seem to be able to only see the suns from the map and be unable to zoom into that system to see the planets?
4) Other than that is there any way to leave flags/markers/breadcrumbs on planets?

Any advice appreciated as I begin my journey!

magawolaz

It doesn't list number of planets anymore on that system. Just has "Atlas Interface" under analysis. :/
You can use the display in your cockpit to find the position of the planets (just move around and look at the spheres). The ones you're missing are probably hidden behind other planets

Z3M0G

Kinda a spoiler but is in the 1.03 patch notes
The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
Would you need to start a new save to see changes like this though?

Z3M0G

Need some advice!!

I'm a fueled up and ready for a good push towards center... but I got an Atlas waypoint which is sending be BACK where I previously came from... and I need to jump 3 systems just to reach the waypoint.

Is it worth it? Or should I just head to center?

If I don't go now, will that be my only Atlas waypoint until I finally go? It is opposite direction from center...

Bump

Anyone? I could really use some advice here...

Raist

Banned
Are there any guides on how to use the map system - it seems really weird...for example;

1) I have no idea 'where' I am - or how far form the centre (or where the centre is)
2) I saw a different coloured sun so that seemed the closest - tried to go but needed extra warp power - then I selected what looked like a further away star and just warped!?
3) I seem to be able to only see the suns from the map and be unable to zoom into that system to see the planets?
4) Other than that is there any way to leave flags/markers/breadcrumbs on planets?

1) On the list of infos if you "highlight" one system on the map, you'll see the distance to the center. That's a linear distance though.
2) Yeah... it's just a gameplay thing, don't think too much about it.
3) Yeah therre's no system-level zoom on the galaxy map
4) Nope

Bump

Anyone? I could really use some advice here...

I've ignored one and warped with a black hole. It's just fine, you'll have to randomly bump into N&P though to resume that particular branch. THe only annoying thing is that it leaves the waypoint and there doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it.

Ferr986

What the Fuck, I started 178k LY from the core, visited a friend who newly bought a PS4 and started playing NMS on her acct and her starting system is like 59k LYs from the core.

I knew starting positions had a degree of randomness to them, but given the distances involved that seems a tad extreme.

No day 1 patch maybe? The patch made the galaxy bigger.

He's lucky btw, 170K is insane. I'm still at 150 after dunno... +30 hours?

Septimius

1) Center is the shiny part
2) Green/blue/red stars need more advanced warp drives. It wasn't too far away, but you were lacking the warp drive upgrade. You need all steps to go everywhere.
3) No zoom

soqquatto

different warp drive upgrades allow you to reach different colored stars (and they also allow you to jump further). no idea why a red star should be different from a yellow star here.

Ah. In my experience systems with Atlas stations only ever have one planet. But you said you had three soooo...

You can use the display in your cockpit to find the position of the planets (just move around and look at the spheres). The ones you're missing are probably hidden behind other planets

Raist, yeah there were two planets and a moon. Well I went behind the biggest one but didn't see anything, so... maybe I misremembered, or the planets are *really* far away. Does the system scan detect every planet in the system? I could only see three on my ship's radar. We really need an overhead system map, but then again it would probably just make too apparent how unrealistic the planet arrangement is.

Anyway, I ended up just jumping to the next system and got my first Pass. Feels good man. There's a planet here that's 1.7 million km away from the station! So small it looks like a moon. Way farther out that any of the systems I've been to so far.

goonergaz

different warp drive upgrades allow you to reach different colored stars (and they also allow you to jump further). no idea why a red star should be different from a yellow star here.

1) Center is the shiny part
2) Green/blue/red stars need more advanced warp drives. It wasn't too far away, but you were lacking the warp drive upgrade. You need all steps to go everywhere.
3) No zoom

1) On the list of infos if you "highlight" one system on the map, you'll see the distance to the center. That's a linear distance though.
2) Yeah... it's just a gameplay thing, don't think too much about it.
3) Yeah therre's no system-level zoom on the galaxy map
4) Nope

Cheers folks.

ONe question regarding the big space ships (when I warped there was one in front of me) - what exactly are those things? Can I dock on them? Should I ignore? Seems I can attack then but what's the pros and cons?

Slay

I've ignored one and warped with a black hole. It's just fine, you'll have to randomly bump into N&P though to resume that particular branch. THe only annoying thing is that it leaves the waypoint and there doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it.

and with no way to clear them, you can stuck like me, with 3 useless waypoints. For me there is no way (until they fix this) to find again either a black hole or an atlas.

mokeyjoe

Cheers folks.

ONe question regarding the big space ships (when I warped there was one in front of me) - what exactly are those things? Can I dock on them? Should I ignore? Seems I can attack then but what's the pros and cons?

You can attack them and they spill (sometimes valuable) resources. Sometimes they're under attack by pirates and you can defend them which increases your standing with the defending faction. Presumably their role will be expanded upon if they add the ability to own freighters.

Raist, yeah there were two planets and a moon. Well I went behind the biggest one but didn't see anything, so... maybe I misremembered, or the planets are *really* far away. Does the system scan detect every planet in the system? I could only see three on my ship's radar. We really need an overhead system map, but then again it would probably just make too apparent how unrealistic the planet arrangement is.

Anyway, I ended up just jumping to the next system and got my first Pass. Feels good man. There's a planet here that's 1.7 million km away from the station! So small it looks like a moon. Way farther out that any of the systems I've been to so far.

Even the radar isn't very useful, especially since you can change zoom levels, so you often just see straight lines that go from over or under planets, but often can't see the planets themselves because they're a bit further away. Still, even so, just a list of all planets in the system and a way to target them from that list would help.

Raist

Banned
After a few really shitty rocks that tried their best to kill me, a ship swap disaster and a massive space battle, I found heaven.

Lush vegetation, abundant fauna (12 species to upload), beautiful lakes/lagoons and a mostly flooded cave network, aluminium and iridium as main resources, AND both chrysonite and titanium crystals (which are already not that common, even moreso in combination).

The only catch, because there's always one, is that the beautiful waters are infested with space sharks. There's the occasional rainy storm that drops the temperature to -30, but that's a non-issue basically.

So I've decided to scan EVERYTHING and in the future do the same when I find such gems. See how many different plants/animals/rocks I can get max. I'm at 63 right now, with still two critters to find. And maybe more plants and stuff, who knows.

noomi

Last night after fully upgrading all my warp drives I decided to check out one of the blue stars because I've heard they were to be the best.

I got there, checked out the 4 planets, and they were all poo. No different than any of the yellow stars I've visited...

Then I went to a green star, which is supposed to be a tier down from blue and it's flippin' awesome! Lush, earth like planets, with plenty of beautiful vistas. I'll be staying here for a while :)

I guess it can still be pretty random when visiting different star systems.

Ferr986

Last night after fully upgrading all my warp drives I decided to check out one of the blue stars because I've heard they were to be the best.

I got there, checked out the 4 planets, and they were all poo. No different than any of the yellow stars I've visited...

Then I went to a green star, which is supposed to be a tier down from blue and it's flippin' awesome! Lush, earth like planets, with plenty of beautiful vistas. I'll be staying here for a while :)

I guess it can still be pretty random when visiting different star systems.

It's more about resources IMO. Stranger color systems tend to have more planets with gravitino balls, cubes, etc

Got my plat as well ...

I'm now waiting for hello games patches ( base building , ship building , new types of planets , more options overall ) to resume my journey

mulac

Got Platinum. Going to take a break for Nuka World.

Congrats - any tips? I'm on Plat hunt aswell. Currently chilling on a planet trying to get 100% (at 88% right now but cant seem to find anything to make up the difference).

Doing the ship hoping churn via crashed starships to upgrade my ship while I wander. Assume the Plat has you at "10" on every discovery, right?

LiK

Congrats - any tips? I'm on Plat hunt aswell. Currently chilling on a planet trying to get 100% (at 88% right now but cant seem to find anything to make up the difference).

Doing the ship hoping churn via crashed starships to upgrade my ship while I wander. Assume the Plat has you at "10" on every discovery, right?

yea, 10 for everything except Sentinel kills.

koji kabuto

Got my plat as well ...

I'm now waiting for hello games patches ( base building , ship building , new types of planets , more options overall ) to resume my journey

Can someone direct me to where i can get information about updates and patches ?
I really need to know about base building.

Loudninja

Looks great!

--

Another patch is releasing this week:

https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/768379070044307457

Supposed to fix 90% of crashes on the PS4.

If a PS4 crashes, it sends us a crash dump. Over the last week since the game came out we categorised and fixed these in order of priority.
Patch 1.04 fixes 75% of crash issues for PS4 was released Friday. Patch 1.05 fixes 87% of crash issues for PS4 was released Sunday

magawolaz

Game has indeed been more stable after the latest patch. Only crashed once, and it doesn't send me to orbit anymore during take-offs.
Hopefully the patch with new features is coming soon.

Elandyll

Banned
Got a new 33 slot ship last night (still haven't had a single Gek system since beginn8ng the game, starting to wonder if I'm glitched), and it looks pretty awesome... Going to be hard to let go on my 48 slot quest.

First time I saw one like that too...

Pretty much a mix of a Y bomber for the tip, and a fighter from Galaxy Rangers for the rest (white color too)

ranger-2.jpg

E92 M3

Just got an 18 slot one this morning, taking forever to find these.

is there a super secret and quick method to get these like with the crashed ships?

Vykeen systems have a ton of them! When I entered their system, I had a 16 slot and came out with a 22. They only go up in 2 slot increments from my experience.

noomi

Vykeen systems have a ton of them! When I entered their system, I had a 16 slot and came out with a 22. They only go up in 2 slot increments from my experience.

Cool, will check that out.

Any specific structures, or just random?

After being stranded in my current star system after the game (PS4 version) ate my hyperdrive blueprint, I just realized that I keep losing even newer blueprints (including a +3 jetpack blueprint that I just received from an alien tonight but was nowhere to be found in my tech install menu), I'm shelving this goddamned game until it's patched into some kind of reasonable state.

Same.

Shame, really.

muteki

Cool, will check that out.

Any specific structures, or just random?

I don't know if I have been lucky or not, but the buildings with 1 landing pad attached always seem to have multi tools on the walls for me.

I think that is scanner->transmissions->beacon? (or observatory? I forget) to find those.

I have a 23 and will go looking for a 24 tonight since I have my ship squared away. I really like my 23 though, bright colors looks like ice cream.

Sarcasm

Question.

I couldn't answer this when my friend asked.

Especially when starting out, should you try to find everything on your starter planet or next one? Or find a couple things and move on?

sandkiller

After being stranded in my current star system after the game (PS4 version) ate my hyperdrive blueprint, I just realized that I keep losing even newer blueprints (including a +3 jetpack blueprint that I just received from an alien tonight but was nowhere to be found in my tech install menu), I'm shelving this goddamned game until it's patched into some kind of reasonable state.

I wasn't with the torch & pitchfork crowd at first and didn't understand their outrage, but, man, I have no idea how this game passed Sony certification - this is one of the few times in my life I'd seriously like to return a game (if I could) because of how buggy & incomplete this mess feels.

Did you report the issue on their Support page?

It doesn't list number of planets anymore on that system. Just has "Atlas Interface" under analysis. :/

One of the reasons I also started annotating star systems.

Example:
First Contact [Y3xAuChEmGPx0_K]

edit: updated: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215421957&postcount=5301

First Contact = whatever I wanna name that system
Y = Yellow F/G star systems (R = Red M/K star systems; G = Green E star systems; B = Blue O/B star systems)
3 = number of planets
AuChEm
= Most obvious to find non-standard element of each planet/moon (see my planet nomenclature)
GP = all items to find (G = Gravitino Ball, P = Albumen Pearl, V = Vortex Cube, S = Sac Venom, A = AquaSphere))
x = if one of the planets has a truly unusual animal on it (highly subjective I know)
0 = number of moons
_ = Atlas Station (. = Black Hole; - = Anomaly) Not very far into the galaxy yet so I don't if I'm missing something.
K = Korvax controlled system (G = Gek; V = Vy'keen)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished cheating my way to the center after all my frustration discussed here last night about fucking up the Atlas path and being stuck still 175K light years away.

Super glad I didn't slog through that legitimately given the lack of payoff. Honestly wasn't even worth the time it took to warp that far even using an unlimited warp distance cheat. At least that puts me in a good place to play more down the road if they add any worthwhile content I guess.

But yeah, since some still ask about "what you do" and what's the point of getting to the center you just explore and gather stuff to explore more. If you enjoy doing that get the game and keep playing until that gets old and don't really worry about getting to the center if you bore of it before. I had a blast with it my first 25-30 hours. Last 20 or so really soured me on the game and make me wish I'd just stepped away from it pending more content. The slog to center is bad if you mess up the Atlas path like I did, and from watching that path on Youtube I still didn't really miss on much.

I don't hate the game buy any means. I'd give it a solid 7.5 even after souring on it, and probably would have given it an 8.5 through my first 30 or so hours (being generous and not docking for the week 1 performance problems on PC.

I'll keep it installed and maybe revisit to explore from time to time. My
no starter planet in the 2nd galaxy
seems interesting compared to the last several places I explored so that's something. And it's much less tedious hopping around and exploring when using cheats on PC to not have to hassle with keeping your ship fueled as I hated that crap even during my first 30 hours as I just liked the exploration.

But I am pretty relieved to be "done" with it for now and to move on to some more linear games that are more up my alley.

Question.

Especially when starting out, should you try to find everything on your starter planet or next one? Or find a couple things and move on?

There's not really a right or wrong way to do it. You do have to repair and construct a ton of stuff early in the game so if you're on resource rich planets and/or planets with lots of building so get blue prints from it doesn't hurt to get a jump on it. Conversely, also not a bad idea to bail as soon as you can warp if you're on a bunch of barren planets.

But either way, the fun in the game is the exploration, so just explore planets that you have fun exploring and skip those you don't would be my best advice. Along with not worrying so much about other things other than making sure to hang on to Atlas Stones if you want to do that path.

Ridwald

Question.

From what i could gather from people here and there, the principal objective to have at the beginning would be to get the schematics for the warpdrive and antimatter. If you get that from the first quests then you're free to do whatever the hell you want in the game. You do not need to stay on the same planet if you don't want to, upgrades are everywhere after that.

Top Bottom