• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

KaidoRacer7

What kinds of equipment upgrades is worth getting? I already have a 48-slot backpack but I think it's useless to get 4 upgrades for each hazard protection, right?

What kinds of equipment upgrades is worth getting? I already have a 48-slot backpack but I think it's useless to get 4 upgrades for each hazard protection, right?

They're so cheap to make that there's no point keeping any of the hazard protection installed. But in any case, Tau or Theta is plenty for each protection.

If a planet is extremely toxic for instance, I just scrounge up what's needed for Tau or Theta and install it then disassemble when I leave.

vpance

Yeah it's not useful to have them all on. Just construct them when you need it and remove it after.

Landed on a planet with firestorms the other day, and having Theta protection on helped a ton.

I've seen exactly one Vy'keen in my 25-ish hours of playing. When I went back to that system he was replaced with a Gek. I really need to find a Vy'keen system and upgrade my multi-tool.

rEacvqT82PKsU.gif

somme

Is there any hope that the PS4 version will get something similar to the DeepSpace mod for PC? It's so beautiful.

I've only seen one photo of the mod, or dark black space and you can get that in the game already. It's just pretty rare.

mokeyjoe

I've only seen one photo of the mod, or dark black space and you can get that in the game already. It's just pretty rare.

I jumped through several systems with dark black space in a row. I hadn't seen any before so I thought something had changed. It did look nice and spacey.

I don't mind the coloured systems, but the ratio of colourful to dark seems backward IMO. It would be cooler to run into that sort of nebula effect just once in a while.

Man, I just went into that "Reddit list of Sean Murray lies" thread. That was a mistake. People talking him up likes he's an absolute maniacal con artist. I can't believe the difference between that and this thread.

It's much nicer here. I'll not leave again.

It's best ignored as it's evolved into an anti-intellectual, anti-NMS complaint fest. Don't get me wrong, there are legitimate criticisms, but IMO, many are a result of people's unrealistic expectations. Sean/HG have tried to keep people's expectations in check for more than three years, regarding "but what do you do" specifically.

Admittedly I definitely want more and can only hope future DLC can aid that, but I've made it a point to enjoy the title for what it is. Not perfect, but it has brought me an experience like I've never witnessed and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I totally understand many players aren't as excited as me when they find a planet with massive oceans or a river (a fucking river!). lol

Posts like the one above regarding the huge mountain and varied landscapes exemplify that.

Yeah... I went in there today, not sure why, but I quickly hit the "back" button and will never venture out of this thread again. Unless it's the Photo thread. That one's fine too.

Oh, update: I got my Atlas Pass last night after randomly jumping to a green star system and finding the Anomaly. I also found a planet that was ONLY tall mountains and water. The framerate was dropping drastically in a way I've never seen before as it tried to render changing sunset shadows from the huge mountains over the vast expanses of water. But it sure looked cool.

This isn't that planet, but it's my favorite shot from last nights session.
14053975_10153835364079135_8879922943999121057_n.jpg

So is there a warp drive upgrade beyond sigma, tau and theta? I'm warping towards the centre and have tried using black holes too but it's taking an age. I've stopped using black holes as they seem to be random in terms of their distance and always break something. Any thoughts GAF?

KaidoRacer7

They're so cheap to make that there's no point keeping any of the hazard protection installed. But in any case, Tau or Theta is plenty for each protection.

If a planet is extremely toxic for instance, I just scrounge up what's needed for Tau or Theta and install it then disassemble when I leave.

Yeah it's not useful to have them all on. Just construct them when you need it and remove it after.

Landed on a planet with firestorms the other day, and having Theta protection on helped a ton.

Cool, thanks!

When you have a piece of data like concurrent hourly players over a two week period from launch it kind of helps to have some comparable numbers to understand if what you're looking at is outside the norm. If it is outside the norm, having comparable data will tell you by how much.

I would genuinely like to know. Good or bad. Unfortunately that thread has already turned into the usual bullshit.

Anyone have actual comparable information in here?

So is there a warp drive upgrade beyond sigma, tau and theta? I'm warping towards the centre and have tried using black holes too but it's taking an age. I've stopped using black holes as they seem to be random in terms of their distance and always break something. Any thoughts GAF?

I gave up using the Black Holes I think at just under 130k, just started making max jumps towards the center. I was over 120 jumps by the time I reached the center, though a decent number of those were spent faffing about in the early game.

And Theta is the largest Reactor known atm. When all 4 are linked it gives you a little over 1,600 LY range per jump. I think there was speculation of an Omega Drive, but I don't think any proof of one has materialized.

Nameless

So after a couple dozen warps and subsequent space station visits I finally had a ship I wanted spawn while farming distress signals, and on a Vy'keen planet so no Gek glitch.

back to exploring for exploration's sake.

Z3M0G

If you want to aim for the center, and you still have the Atlas quest i would recommend that you finish it before that long trip. How many Atlas Stones do you have ?
Zero I guess. I've only been to 3 systems so far. Just sucks I need to go 3 in the opposite direction now... oh well. I guess I will do it.

BizzyBum

I wonder, when you learn all the words in a language, do the knowledge stones acknowledge this or would they just end up repeating learned words?

Also, do the lore stories from monoliths reach a conclusion and does that loop endlessly, as well?

mishakoz

Im so sick of going on reddit and seeing No Man's Sky basing on the front page everyday. I feel bad if you thought you were swindled but the amount of hate is over the top.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
When you have a piece of data like concurrent hourly players over a two week period from launch it kind of helps to have some comparable numbers to understand if what you're looking at is outside the norm. If it is outside the norm, having comparable data will tell you by how much.

I would genuinely like to know. Good or bad. Unfortunately that thread has already turned into the usual bullshit.

Anyone have actual comparable information in here?

It's completely normal. You can view that kind of information here if you like. https://steamdb.info/graph/ Click on a game to get a detailed view under graphs. It's up to you what kind of games you want to compare it to though.

muteki

Zero I guess. I've only been to 3 systems so far. Just sucks I need to go 3 in the opposite direction now... oh well. I guess I will do it.

Don't feel like you are going out of your way. You will visit 10-30 systems along the Atlas path in no particular direction but that is relatively meaningless compared to the distance to the center.

I wonder, when you learn all the words in a language, do the knowledge stones acknowledge this or would they just end up repeating learned words?

Also, do the lore stories from monoliths reach a conclusion and does that loop endlessly, as well?

Well I have most of the blueprints and that doesn't stop them from regurgitating the same ones over and over everywhere.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Someone posted a picture where the stone said all words learned or something like that. It was ages ago though so I'm not sure....

It's completely normal. You can view that kind of information here if you like. https://steamdb.info/graph/ Click on a game to get a detailed view under graphs. It's up to you what kind of games you want to compare it to though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214843995&postcount=201

This post suggests higher than normal but it's a tough comparable against this examples used.

My post from the other thread.

I recall this having a high opening, so taking a look.

The Friday(Aug 12th) it opened on, 212,321 Peak Players
The following Friday, 41,594 Peak Players(Highest for the weekend was 46k)\
So ~ 80% Drop in a week's time.
With its current average for the month is 60k Players. This will only get lower as the month goes on, but assuming it stays at 60k. Means it dropped 72%.

Compared to some of the other titles that opened big.
Fallout 4(Nov12th) opened with 471,995, Avg was 226,297. Drop 52%
Dark Souls III(April 12th) opened with 129,831, Avg 74,831 Drop 42%
GTA 5(April 14th) opened with 360,761, Avg 192,714. Drop 47%

So while it sold a ton to start. It's not retaining its player base(Might I add this is from Sunday, The monthly avg is only going to get lower.)

BizzyBum

Wow, as soon as I posted this my next knowledge stone said "Learned nothing new."

Guess that answers that. lol

somme

I've only found one Omega blueprint so far. The Combat Amplifier one. Not sure how many there are. Hoping for lots of new blueprints, upgrades and even elements/combinations in the future.

I've only found one Omega blueprint so far. The Combat Amplifier one. Not sure how many there are. Hoping for lots of new blueprints, upgrades and even elements/combinations in the future.

I think there's only a couple Omega tier upgrades, and they're all for the Multitool. But I'd want those only if we get MORE SLOTS (56 or 64 plz). With a reasonable stacking quantity for each material/item.

And then tweak the New Game plus to be way more difficult as a result.

BizzyBum

And space is, y'know, really big! :D

I'd actually rather them have been called wormholes, as that's what they function as.

That is strange that wormholes are exactly what we are doing in NMS yet Hello Games opts to call them black holes. I mean, who knows, black holes could be transportation devices, but if so I'd think they transport you to different freakin universes, not 4,000 light years in the same Galaxy.

Damn. Bug/crab-like carnivores really creep me out. They just skitter to you so quickly after you see that red paw indicator and you're like NOPE.

I can't be the only one feeling this.

Man I hate those things. Only creatures that chase me around constantly if I come across them. Also, their pinchers teleport; I fly up to a high perch and they still damage me -_-

Two of the creepiest animals I've seen so far. First was a predator, the second just bounced around,

Nightmare fuel...

Had a creature similar to that first one in my first system. He was an asshole. I named him Geoff.

Maybe I should take a break and come back after a content update.

Absolutely. You've don a ton already. Take a break and play something else then come back to it when they add something new to it. Unexplored space will still be there :)

For some reason I thought that a galaxy would have only 1 black hole in its center. But apparently it's like 1 for every 1000 stars.

The wormhole function doesn't bother me though if we combine a bit of science fiction stuff. There aren't probably any "white holes" exit points in our universe (though wormholes could work, just probably wouldn't occur naturally like a black hole does) but they can in the NMS universe. The solar systems obviously function very differently, too... :p

todahawk

After not having played for a while I realised I wanted to restart. I don't like the names I've given stuff and a couple of other reasons. Felt there wasn't anything I would miss from my old file, but I backed it up just in case :)

Anyways. Restarted and got a great starting planet. It has Gold, Iridium, Chrysonite and Aluminium. It's the most resource rich planet I've ever seen. :D
It has limited Sentinel presence and a really nice look too.

The sky is pink during the day and green at night :D

Only "negative" part is that it's a bit cold. It drains the cold protection slowly at day and has "extreme night temperatures" that drains it a bit faster I guess. Nothing I mind :)

Nice pics!
I found a really nice planet with a lot of caves that are littered with pearls. So I'm really having fun and exploring this one (while lining my pockets).

I'll post some pics when I get home.

This isn't that planet, but it's my favorite shot from last nights session.
14053975_10153835364079135_8879922943999121057_n.jpg

Great shot. Getting Firefly vibes from this.

I've seen exactly one Vy'keen in my 25-ish hours of playing. When I went back to that system he was replaced with a Gek. I really need to find a Vy'keen system and upgrade my multi-tool.

Lol I remember one of the first streams of NMS I watched had an interaction with the Vy'Keen that seemed super tongue in cheek lol

Y0LLqX4.png

almost every NMS thread on GAF, with the exception of the OT and photo thread, degenerates into toxic absurdity.

red731

Low flight mod, Dark space mod and as I saw on reddit - removing scanner from the game is absolutely awesome!

Don't let this parish you beard guy you.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So after a couple dozen warps and subsequent space station visits I finally had a ship I wanted spawn while farming distress signals, and on a Vy'keen planet so no Gek glitch.

back to exploring for exploration's sake.

That ship is fantastic. 48 slots?

Low flight mod, Dark space mod and as I saw on reddit - removing scanner from the game is absolutely awesome!

Don't let this parish you beard guy you.

Those of us playing on PS4 hope that HG sees what a positive response these tweaks are garnering and try to work them into the game officially down the road, particularly low flight. As far as dark space, maybe the colored space is just a lot more rare? I personally would rather just have it dark always however.

E92 M3

Cool, will check that out.

Any specific structures, or just random?

The ones with a landing pad always had one.

I only use Theta versions and it works perfectly fine.

Haven't found a single Omega blueprint - just constantly getting dupes. How did you get it?

--

Anyone else worried they will not massively update the game after the bugs are fixed? It seems like with the reception, their morale could be at all-time low. I know mines would be in their place.

Personally love the game and looking forward to all of the promised features and changes.

Top Bottom