• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

That does not sound right hmm.

The little small crystal one give me that much.

It's really put me off even trying to mine gold, it has happened 90% of the time, in fact I can honestly only think of one time where I got the motherload I was expecting. It's weird because I'll see shit flying off but nothing hits my character aside from one or two every 10 seconds or so.

Fuck.

Oh FFS, first post two pages in a row. Embarrassing!

Loudninja

It's really put me off even trying to mine gold, it has happened 90% of the time, in fact I can honestly only think of one time where I got the motherload I was expecting. It's weird because I'll see shit flying off but nothing hits my character aside from one or two every 10 seconds or so.

Fuck.

I guess it depends on the planet?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I tried the 'Flagpole Method' from the portal subreddit, and found one on my first try.

Obviously, one run of an experiment does not validate a theory but... hell of a coincidence. Or maybe there's just a lot more of these things around than we think.

This is actually the second one I've seen. The first was on my starting planet. Go figure.

Uh, no idea what's going on here. I've seen several of these.

I guess it depends on the planet?

Yeah, I'll probably just dedicate this evening to really trying to figure out what's wrong. I'm tired of never having money, I just for funsies checked out some random schmoes ship at a trading post and he had 29 slots and I almost cried.

Uh, no idea what's going on here. I've seen several of these.

Yeah, I don't think those are anything special, I'm pretty sure they show up as random waypoints.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

Fuck.

When you say you're only getting 20-or-whatever, have you confused the mining cycle amount indicator for your total or you've checked your inventory total? When you're mining, it gives a running total of what you've mined during a consistent blast of your mining beam. It resets when you release the trigger. 20 sounds about right for a full non-overheated draw.

Also, with some pillars there are spots where nothing will mine out of it. Just aim around that area.

When you say you're only getting 20-or-whatever, have you confused the mining cycle amount indicator for your total or you've checked your inventory total? When you're mining, it gives a running total of what you've mined during a consistent blast of your mining beam. It resets when you release the trigger. 20 sounds about right for a full non-overheated draw.

Total. I started to watch the counter after the first time it happened and, yeah, it was a near literal dribble of gold at best, one every couple of seconds or longer. The first time it happened I was really confused, I had busted down this massive pillar and I was stoked as hell that I just flew straight back to a station.Get there and all I can squeak out of my mouth is a "wuuuuh" when I only had 36 gold to sell. After that I started to watch and, like I said, I can only remember one time where I was raking it in like you would with any other mineral (though I'm sure it has been more than once), every other time I'll just stop before I get half way because I'm pulling in almost nothing on the counter.

This is just the pillars and mounds, too, now that I think about it. Gold crystals seem to mine properly.

Mindlog

Total. I started to watch the counter after the first time it happened and, yeah, it was a near literal dribble of gold at best, one every couple of seconds or longer. The first time it happened I was really confused, I had busted down this massive pillar and I was stoked as hell that I just flew straight back to a station.Get there and all I can squeak out of my mouth is a "wuuuuh" when I only had 36 gold to sell. After that I started to watch and, like I said, I can only remember one time where I was raking it in like you would with any other mineral (though I'm sure it has been more than once), every other time I'll just stop before I get half way because I'm pulling in almost nothing on the counter.

This is just the pillars and mounds, too, now that I think about it. Gold crystals seem to mine properly.
That's consistent with my experience. I've also seen the same thing happen with Emeril.
I only get the crystals and I rarely do that. Crashed ships are easy money, but with 20m credits and nothing to spend on I don't bother with those either.

mokeyjoe

I completely agree. It's completely asinine to think that Sean went and purposely lied and it breaks my heart to see so many people berating him. That's why I've been worried that once the bugs are squashed they will just move on instead of updating the game for the next year.

I think it's far more likely they had a bunch of stuff half made or planned but their schedule went to shit and they had to prune a lot out to meet the release. Didn't seem Sony was willing to give them an extension after the first delay. I'm sure they would have liked one.

Although I've sunk 60 or so enjoyable hours into the game and have definitely got my money's worth I'm still eager to see them build on the game with decent updates.

Raist

Banned
So, I'm trying that flagpole thing.

Just to be clear, you have to stand inside the ruin and look through the upside down triangle on the flagpole (and the window, I guess).

Also fun fact, you can't shoot when you're inside the ruin.

mokeyjoe

Just to be clear, you have to stand inside the ruin and look through the upside down triangle on the flagpole (and the window, I guess).

I think it counts as any other building. You can shelter from the weather there and hide from sentinels.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

Did you have mining mods on your multi-tool? Did you get regular "X Gold" popups as you were mining? I've had numerous pillars that had sections (esp.at their bases or inside) where nothing would mine, but even in the most stubborn pillars I've a good chunk of minerals.

Yeah that's correct. I really don't know if there's anything to it or not, but I do think I noticed more monoliths along the path than usual. Even so, I've looked through the available dumps and while there is clearly text and animations in the game for opening the portals, if I was forced to bet on it... I'd say they are currently unimplemented.

Hahs

I dunno, I've been having a hard time mining gold reliably. I can find it, especially giant pillars of it, I mine it all the way down and I get 26 gold out of it. The fuq?
Focus Beam Intensifiers - try to stack them:

SIGMA
TAU
THETA

do the same for coolants also. You can easily get 3-4 times your previous amount. ;)

Did you have mining mods on your multi-tool? Did you get regular "X Gold" popups as you were mining? I've had numerous pillars that had sections (esp.at their bases or inside) where nothing would mine, but even in the most stubborn pillars I've a good chunk of minerals.

Yup, all mining mods on it, haven't bothered with any combat upgrades. The pop-ups are highly irregular, often times I'd go 20 - 30 seconds without having the counter show up, rarely am I getting more than 1 or 2 pieces at a time when it does show up. It's a mystery to me!

Focus Beam Intensifiers - try to stack them:

SIGMA
TAU
THETA

do the same for coolants also. You can easily get 3-4 times your previous amount. ;)

I'll have to double check when I get off work, I know for sure I have the coolant ones stacked because fuck yeah, mo' mining less problems, and I'm pretty sure I have the focus beam on there, though it might just be one of the upgrades. One of the mods sounded like it just sped up terrain destruction and the other sounded like it dealt with minerals so I went with the latter.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's a theory over at the NMSPortals subreddit that you can find portal locations by following flagpoles at the ruin sites. Thought I'd try it and found one on my first try.

I'll have to keep that in mind. But what's the point? I've seen several similar monoliths and there's nothing special about them. (Yet?)

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup, all mining mods on it, haven't bothered with any combat upgrades. The pop-ups are highly irregular, often times I'd go 20 - 30 seconds without having the counter show up, rarely am I getting more than 1 or 2 pieces at a time when it does show up. It's a mystery to me!

I'll have to double check when I get off work, I know for sure I have the coolant ones stacked because fuck yeah, mo' mining less problems, and I'm pretty sure I have the focus beam on there, though it might just be one of the upgrades. One of the mods sounded like it just sped up terrain destruction and the other sounded like it dealt with minerals so I went with the latter.

It sounds like something to do with your tool or your planet(s). I've never seen that. How far are you? Do you have the intensifier mods?

It sounds like something to do with your tool or your planet(s). I've never seen that. How far are you? Do you have the intensifier mods?

I'm probably just gonna throw some screens up of my sad attempts at mining gold when I get off work later. I'm pretty sure they're the intensifier mods. I'm 25 hours in and have jumped 15 times-ish? Love exploring so I've been to a bunch of different planets, it honestly isn't even bugging me that much because I enjoy everything else so much, but being broke all the time is lame.

I'll have to keep that in mind. But what's the point? I've seen several similar monoliths and there's nothing special about them. (Yet?)

At the moment, I don't think there is anything special about them either. I really just wanted to see if I could find them for my own amusement. I would like to be wrong, and have them actually be working in game but I just don't think they are right now. I think it's possible that black holes took over the role that portals once played in the game.

Raist

Banned
Right, so that Ruin bearing thing didn't work at all.

BUT

Using that one screenshot, I finally managed to find that portal again.

mokeyjoe

At the moment, I don't think there is anything special about them either. I really just wanted to see if I could find them for my own amusement. I would like to be wrong, and have them actually be working in game but I just don't think they are right now. I think it's possible that black holes took over the role that portals once played in the game.

Lol, well if there is something to them maybe it's something like 'activate all the monoliths on the planet', or something equally simple but tedious.

Spyware

Finally caved and installed a couple of mods. LowFlight is amazing on my planet. Those arches that are sprinkled all over the place just screams "fly throooough" :D
BBn2LiQ.png
I love this planet so much but I've been here for like 4 hours now and I still can't find the last species. Gah.

I thought this was how it was supposed to be. It's been like this for me since the start, four different save files and both PS4 and PC so it's not the planet/tool/upgrades/save file. Gold (and a couple of others I think) give like 1-3 per destroyed "blob" for me.

I thought this was how it was supposed to be. It's been like this for me since the start, four different save files and both PS4 and PC so it's not the planet/tool/upgrades/save file. Gold (and a couple of others I think) give like 1-3 per destroyed "blob" for me.

It just seems weird since heridium mines like a motherfucker, but perhaps I shouldn't have that expectation? There's just no point in hitting those GIANT piles up if I'm just going to get 20 - 30 gold.

Spyware

It just seems weird since heridium mines like a motherfucker, but perhaps I shouldn't have that expectation? There's just no point in hitting those GIANT piles up if I'm just going to get 20 - 30 gold.
I thought it was logical because Heridium was common and Gold and stuff was supposed to be rare and stuff. But I guess both my PS4 account and my Steam account are bugged then :p

I love this planet so much but I've been here for like 4 hours now and I still can't find the last species. Gah.

Things that often trip me up on my 100% hunts:

• Nocturnal creatures, especially flying creatures that only come out at night.
  • Larger sea creatures that swim alone; usually predatory. Smaller sea creatures that are found in groups seem to be plentiful if oceans on your planet have life at. It's the larger ones that tend to be roaming solo and have been hard to find for me.
  • Any creature tagged as "exotic". Most of the exotic ones I've come across have been predators, so I've often found them hanging out near large groups of animals I've already discovered.

Spyware

Things that often trip me up on my 100% hunts:

• Nocturnal creatures, especially flying creatures that only come out at night.
  • Larger sea creatures that swim alone; usually predatory. Smaller sea creatures that are found in groups seem to be plentiful if oceans on your planet have life at. It's the larger ones that tend to be roaming solo and have been hard to find for me.
  • Any creature tagged as "exotic". Most of the exotic ones I've come across have been predators, so I've often found them hanging out near large groups of animals I've already discovered.
Yeah the solo predator thing has been most common for me too so I expect this is the case here too. No water on this planet and I already have three flying species (at the bottom of the list, the thing with fliers being at the bottom has always been true for me) that I see everywhere. The missing one is right in the middle of the rest of the land creatures. I've been out during day, night, morning, evening, ion caves, on mountains, in forests and on open plains. It simply doesn't exist! D:

Omadahl

Banned
Is the map supposed to be as useless and annoying as it is? Basically, you can't see the planets in your system, there's no mapping of the planet you're on, and when you use the free look, you're either zooming in way too much or out too far. It just feels clunky as hell. Aside from jumping, I don't see the point in it at all.

Is the map supposed to be as useless and annoying as it is? Basically, you can't see the planets in your system, there's no mapping of the planet you're on, and when you use the free look, you're either zooming in way too much or out too far. It just feels clunky as hell. Aside from jumping, I don't see the point in it at all.

It's useless. I don't want to be the one responsible for trying to create a functional map of a procedurally generated universe of this size, but I can say with absolute positivity that I'd try to make something a little more useful than what they have. A tracker that follows your journey would be a good start, more information on the HUD about the selected system would be nice too, not the hopelessly obtuse data that we're handed

muteki

Think I'm ready to put the game down for a while. Finished Atlas path, both ship and multi tool have max slots and completely decked out. Confirmed I have all the blueprints too. Still have some milestones to do, still don't have a Atlus Pass v2 or v3, still haven't been to the center/through a black hole but figure this is a good stopping point for now. Will come back when there are new patches or I just want to kill some time, backlog is killing me.

Really enjoyed my time with the game so far though.

Spyware

Can't decide if I should just leave this place and not bother with 100 %... but at the same time that would mean a huge amount of time was wasted for nothing.
Buuuut the other option means I'm going to waste even more time and that doesn't sound very good either.

I tried the 'Flagpole Method' from the portal subreddit, and found one on my first try.

Obviously, one run of an experiment does not validate a theory but... hell of a coincidence. Or maybe there's just a lot more of these things around than we think.

This is actually the second one I've seen. The first was on my starting planet. Go figure.

Probably a coincidence, but the only one I ever saw was on my starting planet as well.
Didn't think much about it at the time, because I didn't know about the whole Portal thing, but this makes me wonder (and hope) in that you can portal back to your starting planet when activated.

It's useless. I don't want to be the one responsible for trying to create a functional map of a procedurally generated universe of this size, but I can say with absolute positivity that I'd try to make something a little more useful than what they have. A tracker that follows your journey would be a good start, more information on the HUD about the selected system would be nice too, not the hopelessly obtuse data that we're handed

I would've just recreated the map from Eve Online personally, but I don't know if that thing is usable with a controller.

Jumped back in to get my platinum trophy today. Got it. Think imma take a break for a while now. Had fun for the first long while with the game but the sheer amount of bugs and crashes kinda killed my mood about the game. Only had to do 3 more jumps to get it and I crashed like 5 times. Im convinced something was wrong with my save file because there is no way the game should have crashed as much as it did with me. Still horrid after the patches. Fuck starting over tho.

Anyways, good times were had, some bad. Ill be back when things can worked out and more stuff gets added. Worth the money spent with what I got out of it but ultimately overall im pretty disappointed with the technical side of things. Too many bugs and crashes soured what would have been a great experience without. Wish I had held off on this but I just couldnt do it. Needed more time in the oven.

muteki

What guide did you use to check?

I think I have them all but I might still be missing some components.

Just going through the process of filling out my ship, suit, and multi tool. Comparing it to other screenshots floating around, I have at least 3 of each upgrade type. There may be an Omega or two that I missed (I have the Omega combat adapter though) but I'm not going to keep grinding for them if I haven't found them by now.

I do wish I had v2 or v3 passes by now (even if I hear they are mostly useless), but it has been a long time since I focused on manufacturing or operations centers, probably why I don't have either.

LiK

Got Platinum Trophy. Think I'll take a break. Trying to get to the center is a slog with the constant warping even with the Warp Drive Theta and Black Holes. I'll probably return to the game when I need something to chill with.

I found a cool glitch where you can pulse drive right before the loading screen during a warp which creates an eyeball effect:

You can also do this in a black hole and when you exit it I noticed a weird Sentinel icon shows up that is not there normally. It says "Big Ball" ??

Also, this planet just looked awesome from space:
Man I feel like this game still has so much to tell us. Sure there are new never-before promised features like bases and freighters but there's still stuff in the game hidden away that we don't know about yet. For all the shit Sean has been getting about over/under promising things I actually really appreciate how close he held certain things to his chest, and the fact that even data mining the game doesn't reveal how the portals work, or that by some glitch trigger you got a totally unknown Sentinel warning to show up, is so rad.

I think it'd be really cool if 6-12 months from now once everything has cooled down and patches have fixed all the bugs and they've started adding new features, if Sean could do an interview to reveal what exactly happened, what they initially planned and what/why had to be held back or scrapped entirely, if they implemented things into the release that were hooks for future events that we couldn't access until HG flipped a switch, etc etc. if he's even allowed to comment on stuff like that I mean.

JarrodL

I think it's far more likely they had a bunch of stuff half made or planned but their schedule went to shit and they had to prune a lot out to meet the release. Didn't seem Sony was willing to give them an extension after the first delay. I'm sure they would have liked one.

Unfortunately they failed to inform their future audience about that pruning, therein lies the problem. It's ok to cut features before release. It's not ok to pretend that never happened right until the release (or, as a matter of fact, after it - there are still videos on the game's steam page advertising elements which do not appear to be in the game). Intentional or not, this is them misrepresenting their game to make it look better than it is. That is why people are upset.

I quite enjoyed my time with the game as well (one look through my post history here should prove that), but let's not pretend that the current situation is not their fault.

mishakoz

I just looked up the ending. Everyone trying to follow Atlas or go to the center, look up the ending on YouTube.

Trust me. You'll thank me.

BizzyBum

Just going through the process of filling out my ship, suit, and multi tool. Comparing it to other screenshots floating around, I have at least 3 of each upgrade type. There may be an Omega or two that I missed (I have the Omega combat adapter though) but I'm not going to keep grinding for them if I haven't found them by now.

Oh, thought there was a nice checklist out there. I think I'm missing some of the yellow component blueprints, random stuff like Crolium and Herox. No idea what they are used for. Haven't seen anything that requires it.

I just looked up the ending. Everyone trying to follow Atlas or go to the center, look up the ending on YouTube.

Trust me. You'll thank me.

I just did it now.

Nice little tune played, at least! Hello Games got lazy here because I was hoping it would pull away and we would actually see the galaxy. Are new names random? It says I'm in a new galaxy but it's named the "Hilbert Dimension" (awesome name). So am I in a new galaxy within a new dimension as well? lol

At first when the intro played again I seriously thought I lost all my shit and I was going to be livid. Then I saw my ship and multi-tool were the same and breathed a sigh of relief. Oh but wait, everything is fucking broken! Thanks Sean...

Looking for nickel to upgrade my warp drive last night and found nothing.
Think I visited like 8 different planets and various space stations weren't selling it at all.

Is it a common or rare element?

mokeyjoe

Unfortunately they failed to inform their future audience about that pruning, therein lies the problem. It's ok to cut features before release. It's not ok to pretend that never happened right until the release (or, as a matter of fact, after it - there are still videos on the game's steam page advertising elements which do not appear to be in the game). Intentional or not, this is them misrepresenting their game to make it look better than it is. That is why people are upset.

I quite enjoyed my time with the game as well (one look through my post history here should prove that), but let's not pretend that the current situation is not their fault.

Oh I'm not. Just saying that it was not a case of willful lying or scamming from the start. They definitely should have communicated better. I think the intent matters to me with how I view the developer, i.e. scheming vs shambolic. How this game continues to be developed going forward will be important too, I feel there's definitely a strong enough foundation there to nail on some pretty decent new game mechanics. Time will tell I guess.

mokeyjoe

OléGunner;214926210 said:
Looking for nickel to upgrade my warp drive last night and found nothing.
Think I visited like 8 different planets and various space stations weren't selling it at all.

Is it a common or rare element?

It's really common in some systems but rare in others. Some places have towers of the stuff. The easiest thing to do is warp until you see nickel asteroids.

Top Bottom