• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Is there any way to determine how much time you've spent on a specific extreme planet? Trying to get the trophy for extreme sols and I'm not sure how close I am to reaching my previous record from another planet.

Well the time reset the moment you left the previous planet, unfortunately. There's no running clock, but you can see your current record in the Milestone menu; 1 Sol = 15 minutes, I think. So you can use that to figure out how long you'll need to be on your current planet before it starts increasing again. Does that make sense?

Ok I need to get low flight.

Is there a mod that lets you look around the cockpit? Sometimes i just want to look left or right without actually moving in that direction

todahawk

My Nebuchadnezzer

FWZZU51.jpg

daveo42

Banned
Well the time reset the moment you left the previous planet, unfortunately. There's no running clock, but you can see your current record in the Milestone menu; 1 Sol = 15 minutes, I think. So you can use that to figure out how long you'll need to be on your current planet before it starts increasing again. Does that make sense?

Yeah. Might just need to go for a long surface walk at this point for a few more hours or just chill in a station for a bit while I do something else. I assume it's boots on the ground and not specifically just in atmosphere as I flew half way around the planet headed for a downed ship.

Yeah. Might just need to go for a long surface walk at this point for a few more hours or just chill in a station for a bit while I do something else. I assume it's boots on the ground and not specifically just in atmosphere as I flew half way around the planet headed for a downed ship.

I don't know if it is for sure confirmed that you have to stay out of your ship, but it's probably smart to do so for the duration just in case. I know it doesn't count down WHILE you're in your ship, not sure if it resets though. Just make sure to not go afk too long, otherwise your life support will tick down and you'll die regardless if you're inside or out in the elements.

LiK

Not until you beat your previous time unfortunately. At least until they fix that Trophy.

You can save and come back as long as you stay on the surface of the planet.

yea, this. just do the idle method until you get past the time it takes. the trophy takes around 8+ hours of real time.

The blue print bug is really starting to tick me off. Terminals and such always -without exception- give me "already known" technology for stuff I don't have yet, but vanilla Pulse Engine or Launch Thruster blue prints are presented as "New Technology Learned!" -_-

My Nebuchadnezzer

Cool! I haven't seen those particular "nebuchadnezzar" parts generated on any ships in my game yet. That's pretty dope.

To be safe, and save your sanity, don't get in your ship unless you have to. Flying around the planet won't reset your clock, but the clock won't advance either. But if you leave the planet it will; I just don't know where that threshold is. I'd hate for you to get in your ship and then get flung into space by that launch thruster bug :\

What kind of extreme planet are you on? If it's one where you can last outside a fair while e.g. an extreme Sentinel planet, I just kept left my ship somewhere and then moved off in the opposite direction, exploring and looking for another shelter or base I could call my ship from with a bypass chip. That whittled down some time. Most of my time though was spent hanging out in the shelter while I worked on other stuff or watched Stranger Things on NF.

Hoodbury

What do you mean the time reset? I just spent 6 or 7 hours on one planet and got the silver trophy for it but couldn't bare it any longer to get the gold one. I had to go to a new system and planets for awhile and I'll continue for the gold trophy the next time I come to a extreme planet.

My milestone screen still shows a score of 6 or 7. That doesn't reset. But maybe the 4 SOL for the next milestone resets? Is that what you mean? Every 4 SOLs you get a new milestone number and it counts up to 10. You need 6 or 7(sorry can't remember which one it was) for the silver trophy and 10 for the gold.

The grind is real.

Been on this extreme planet for a few days for a couple of reasons

1: The survival on extreme planet achievement
2: Grabbing new ships in the meantime

Went from a 28 slot ship to now a 39 slot ship. 100% the planet ages ago. Even reached the point where my exploring ends up bumping into areas I've been to.

UCBooties

The grind is real.

Been on this extreme planet for a few days for a couple of reasons

1: The survival on extreme planet achievement
2: Grabbing new ships in the meantime

Went from a 28 slot ship to now a 39 slot ship. 100% the planet ages ago. Even reached the point where my exploring ends up bumping into areas I've been to.

I still feel like the way the extreme survival works is a bug. Every other milestone in the game is cumulitive and encourages you to move on. It doesn't make any sense to have a milestone tha requires you to stay on the same planet for 8 consecutive hours.

I hope they fix it soon.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I think my save is bugged. Can't advance in the Extreme Survival journey. It says i need 0.1 sols to advance, but I can stay on an extreme planet forever and it never advances.

I think my save is bugged. Can't advance in the Extreme Survival journey. It says i need 0.1 sols to advance, but I can stay on an extreme planet forever and it never advances.

No, it's just that particular milestone that's bugged. Once it resets, you have to survive the WHOLE time past where you last left off to advance it beyond your current level.

daveo42

Banned
Cool! I haven't seen those particular "nebuchadnezzar" parts generated on any ships in my game yet. That's pretty dope.

To be safe, and save your sanity, don't get in your ship unless you have to. Flying around the planet won't reset your clock, but the clock won't advance either. But if you leave the planet it will; I just don't know where that threshold is. I'd hate for you to get in your ship and then get flung into space by that launch thruster bug :\

What kind of extreme planet are you on? If it's one where you can last outside a fair while e.g. an extreme Sentinel planet, I just kept left my ship somewhere and then moved off in the opposite direction, exploring and looking for another shelter or base I could call my ship from with a bypass chip. That whittled down some time. Most of my time though was spent hanging out in the shelter while I worked on other stuff or watched Stranger Things on NF.

Yeah, I might have reset it flying to high to pulse around the planet, but there's no way in knowing right now if that reset it or not. Might just finish exploring the system I'm in. It's an ice planet btw with a hearty atmosphere so the drain on my shield is pretty fast even with cold protection, but life support lasts a long while. I was considering camping out in a shelter for a bit just to wait it out at this point. Sucks it doesn't work planet to planet and even resets if you leave.

Unai

So, I'm grinding ships right now. Do the upgrade I have installed in my current ship somehow influence the upgrades of the next ship I will find, or can I dismantle everything in my current ship without thinking about it? I'm particularly worried about the warp drive upgrades.

So, I'm grinding ships right now. Do the upgrade I have installed in my current ship somehow influence the upgrades of the next ship I will find, or can I dismantle everything in my current ship without thinking about it? I'm particularly worried about the warp drive upgrades.

I've been stripping down everything to it's basics that the game will allow me to. While ship hunting i'm flying around in a clunker with only launch thrusters, pulse engine and deflectors repaired and i still find ships with good tier kit installed. If i'm in the mood i'll spend 5 minutes stripping down lower tier ships for their exotic materials before swapping back to my original ship and continuing the hunt. You can go back and forth between your current ship and the found ship stripping them bare and just fly off with the one you want at the end.

If i fancy noodling up to space or warping to a new system i'll repair what's required and go. It helps that i have warp core fuel blueprints so i can just make that stuff when i need to.

Yeah, I might have reset it flying to high to pulse around the planet, but there's no way in knowing right now if that reset it or not. Might just finish exploring the system I'm in. It's an ice planet btw with a hearty atmosphere so the drain on my shield is pretty fast even with cold protection, but life support lasts a long while. I was considering camping out in a shelter for a bit just to wait it out at this point. Sucks it doesn't work planet to planet and even resets if you leave.

I'm not sure but I think any place you can pulse to is considered off-planet. You can use the pulse drive almost immediately after taking off, but only if you aim your ship away from the planet; as far as I'm aware, you can't use the pulse engine for a trip that takes place entirely inside the planet's atmosphere.

So yes, you probably reset it by flying too high.

Kaiken

Banned
This Sentinel trophy is really bumming me out. I've already invested a few hours on an extreme planet after already having over 19 Sols but I just want to get to the center.

Nice idea, but i think they don't work yet, as it was one of the things removed so they could actually ship the game (imho).. they'll be back in i'm sure :)
Yeah chances of that being the case are much bigger. I just try to hoop they actually still have something that was not removed. Fingers crossed that Hello Games will drop a note regarding everything they promissed, but it's not (yet) part of the game

Unai

I've been stripping down everything to it's basics that the game will allow me to. While ship hunting i'm flying around in a clunker with only launch thrusters, pulse engine and deflectors repaired and i still find ships with good tier kit installed. If i'm in the mood i'll spend 5 minutes stripping down lower tier ships for their exotic materials before swapping back to my original ship and continuing the hunt. You can go back and forth between your current ship and the found ship stripping them bare and just fly off with the one you want at the end.

If i fancy noodling up to space or warping to a new system i'll repair what's required and go. It helps that i have warp core fuel blueprints so i can just make that stuff when i need to.

I see, thanks for the info. My problem is that I really don't know whether I have the blueprints or not. I'll just dismantle them and see what happens.

Heard some folks are having trouble finding Nickel. Come to my planet. That's solid Nickel over there baby.

It seems that most star systems will have either Nickel or Iridium in asteroids, and not both at the same time. At least that is true in the systems that I visited.

BizzyBum

No I dont think so and

You start with a broken ship and have to start all over again

Yeah, I already got to that point. I started freaking out when I saw the intro playing again thinking I lost everything. LOL

My new galaxy is called the "Hilbert Dimension" which is awesome. Is that just a random name or is my new galaxy in a new dimension as well? Does it share the same discoveries as the Euclid or everything is wiped?

ending spoiler question:

Is the new galaxy different in any way?

So far that I have seen:

Maybe a little?

I started New Game Plus in the Hilbert Galaxy on an Extreme environment planet. I don't recall the Euclid Galaxy having starting planets that harsh. Otherwise it seems relatively the same, save for running into more extreme planets sooner than I did in the first Galaxy. And more "huge" creatures, which I didn't start seeing regularly until I got a ways into the first Galaxy.

BizzyBum

So far that I have seen:

Maybe a little?

I started New Game Plus in the Hilbert Galaxy on an Extreme environment planet. I don't recall the Euclid Galaxy having starting planets that harsh. Otherwise it seems relatively the same, save for running into more extreme planets sooner than I did in the first Galaxy. And more "huge" creatures, which I didn't start seeing regularly until I got a ways into the first Galaxy.

Ah, so the Hilbert name seems like the name everyone gets for their second galaxy. If that's the case, I wonder how many times we can go to the center and how much it could potentially change something each time.

Probably nada, but fun to think about. Although honestly I didn't have a fun time travelling to the center, so I'm not going to do it again. lol

Raven77

So far that I have seen:

Maybe a little?

So can anyone confirm that you do actually find bigger stuff as you get towards the center? Has anyone else made it pretty far into the second galaxy and if so what if any differences have you noticed?

Ah, so the Hilbert name seems like the name everyone gets for their second galaxy. If that's the case, I wonder how many times we can go to the center and how much it could potentially change something each time.

Probably nada, but fun to think about. Although honestly I didn't have a fun time travelling to the center, so I'm not going to do it again. lol

If you're on PC, you can do what I did in NG+ and just download the Super Hyperdrive mod. Let's you basically warp wherever you want with almost no range restriction. After getting to the center the legit way my first go around, I said screw it I'll just warp where I want to.

As for changes....
I may start exploring the 3rd/4th/5th Galaxies to see how/if things progress. Takes around 10 minutes in the Galactic map view to zoom towards the center.

I know the ending is lackluster, I still want to see it in all its glory myself. I just want to know one thing without any additional spoilers...

When you reach the center, does it restart your game/progress/etc... I'm not entirely sure I want to start from scratch again if that's the case.

E92 M3

The blue print bug is really starting to tick me off. Terminals and such always -without exception- give me "already known" technology for stuff I don't have yet, but vanilla Pulse Engine or Launch Thruster blue prints are presented as "New Technology Learned!" -_-

Yeah, it's getting a bit tiring.

BizzyBum

Someone on reddit went the opposite way and reached the end of the galaxy which is about 300,000 LY from the center. The outer most stars are visible but cannot be traveled to. He said there's about a 200 LY buffer between exploreable stars and the nothingness of the edge.

I think this confirms that [Atlas Quest spoilers]
You do actually create a new star at the end of the Atlas quest.

I know the ending is lackluster, I still want to see it in all its glory myself. I just want to know one thing without any additional spoilers...

When you reach the center, does it restart your game/progress/etc... I'm not entirely sure I want to start from scratch again if that's the case.

Spoilers for NG+

You restart the same way the game originally started, crashed on a planet in a new Galaxy, but with your current ship, upgrades, inventory, and journey progress. Just everything, EVERYTHING is damaged and has to be repaired.

daveo42

Banned
Spoilers for NG+

You restart the same way the game originally started, crashed on a planet in a new Galaxy, but with your current ship, upgrades, inventory, and journey progress. Just everything, EVERYTHING is damaged and has to be repaired.

That's not bad at all. It's mostly the amount of time it will probably take me to get there that's somewhat depressing.

Raven77

Are 6 legged creatures common? I don't mean the tentacle legs, I mean regular legs. I just ran into my first one last night on these weird floating islands that had land that was shaped like steps, sort of like this:

yaoshan-mountain-guilin-china-hillside-rice-terraces-landscape-ehnx50.jpg

I have a screen I can share when I get home. They are just two things i've never seen before in all the planets i've seen and none of my buddies had seen anything like it either.

BizzyBum

I just ran into my first one last night on these weird floating islands that had land that was shaped like steps, sort of like this:

I have a screen I can share when I get home. They are just two things i've never seen before in all the planets i've seen and none of my buddies had seen anything like it either.

Yup, I've run into a bunch of them.

I don't get why there's floating islands to begin with. Is this intentional or a glitch with the procedural generation?

Are 6 legged creatures common? I don't mean the tentacle legs, I mean regular legs. I just ran into my first one last night on these weird floating islands that had land that was shaped like steps, sort of like this:

Yeah I've seen a few, same with those floating island step formations... :(

So much for uniqueness.

Raven77

Yeah I've seen a few, same with those floating island step formations... :(

So much for uniqueness.

Well, I can say that my buddies have all seen collectively about 60 planets and none of them had seen it.

I also found a planet with tall pointed rock formations that had this strange tube of liquid moving inside it.

parabolee

So I just spent 4 hours mining Emeril on a planet that was ripe with it and sleepy Sentinels. Goto my next system and find a planet full of Vortex Cubes!!!

Those babies sell for 22,000 units each!

275850_20160825141200_1.png

Sentinels go crazy when I pick one up, but I can easily grab 5-8 of them at a time, jump in my ship, fly to a new easy picking areas and repeat!

Things like this make me love this game. I truly wish it had more to do mission-wise. Like if it had the missions of Elite Dangerous.

But the exploration and upgrading has me hooked enough that I keep coming back and keep finding new reasons to enjoy the game (the mods are helping too).

How true is it that things get busier, more hectic and more diverse the closer you get to the center? I have made 16 jumps so far I think. Not sure how far from the center I am though, or how to check that? Also the waypoints appear to be broken, I accidentally set a few and can't remove them?!?

I understand Pirates become more common and large creatures are more likely?

Yup, I've run into a bunch of them.

I don't get why there's floating islands to begin with. Is this intentional or a glitch with the procedural generation?

Technically I believe it is a procedural generation thing (same happens in games like Minecraft), but it easily fits into the whole "Scifi" theme.

Top Bottom