• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Raist

Banned
Right, so I've collected every single "special" item.
I'm gonna work my way back to the system where I found a portal.

Let's see if that reddit post is full of spaceshit.

Do NOT go into the newest thread then (it starts with "Previously Recorded"). The children of GameFAQs' most notorious trolls are literally throwing themselves a party at the latest NMS bashing video on YouTube, patting each other on the backs and wiping away tears of laughter at how clever they all are.

For me, I love the game. Yeah, it has flaws. Yeah, some things mentioned in previews and interviews didn't make it into the game. But I do NOT want to live in a world where a game like No Man's Sky doesn't exist. I don't want Indie devs to look at the beating Hello Games is getting right now and hold back from doing something different and creative. I don't want Indie devs to only make safe, cookie-cutter games and litter the online stores with derivative, cheap clones of popular franchises for years to come. I want them to take chances like this, use new tech, invent new games and let their imaginations run wild.

The people storming the forums with pitchforks and spitballs are damaging their own industry by basically telling Indie devs not to dare try something new, because if you fail, we will beat you down mercilessly.

I'm almost at the point where I want to drop NeoGAF from my daily routine for the next few weeks until this hate and vitriol dies down. Seeing this many posts created each day tearing NMS to shreds is a bit overwhelming. Maybe Phil Spencer can do an interview tomorrow so everyone can have something new to talk about and fill page 1 with something different.

And I thought it was bad with Battlefront, but this is on a whole other level.

Jmille99

So do Space Anomalies...just show up at times? I visited a system yesterday, webt to tje space station briefly, and travelled to a closeby planet with no mention of an anomaly.

But today, I left the planet, and was notified of an anomaly in space...right next to the space station.

So has anyone seen these appear where they previously werent?

Godspeed!

PSA for people curious about that portal subreddit... they are straight up posting endgame spoilers in there as well as datamined content, so fair warning. I noped out of there at lightspeed.

Raist

Banned
Godspeed!

PSA for people curious about that portal subreddit... they are straight up posting endgame spoilers in there as well as datamined content, so fair warning. I noped out of there at lightspeed.

Cheers. Should be relatively straightforward. Just need some prep time.
The biggest issue will be to find it on the planet in question...

So do Space Anomalies...just show up at times? I visited a system yesterday, webt to tje space station briefly, and travelled to a closeby planet with no mention of an anomaly.

But today, I left the planet, and was notified of an anomaly in space...right next to the space station.

So has anyone seen these appear where they previously werent?

All the time.

Tigress

And I thought it was bad with Battlefront, but this is on a whole other level.

Seriously, Bethesda isn't getting this much hate for stuff I think they did that probably deserves it more (Sony too). Yes, I'm talking about mods on PS4 that they've gone quiet on (and promising something that it looks like they had no business promising since they really didn't know if they could do it. And also on Sony for being stubbern about this so we get the worst version of the game yet again and Sony could be doing somethign to help this!).

The game isn't quite what they advertised. It still is what I was thinking it was, just not as polished as they promised. People are going way overboard on the hate (I suspect it's some who like to jump for joy that they told you so, same people who seemed to want the game to fail honestly <- and yes there does seem to be a lot of people who did).

Honestly, I don't see how it was an egregious lie on what they claimed it was going to be. The lies it has is no different than I see AAA game makers do and they don't get near the flack that Hello Games is getting. It's the usual it was exagerated to be better than it was you see in a lot of games honestly (to the point I htink that I missed it at first before people pointed out old ads cause I expected some of that cause I'm jaded and expect what is the game to be not quite as shiny as what marketing says it is).

somme

Haven't found a single Omega blueprint - just constantly getting dupes. How did you get it?

I actually haven't the foggiest where I got it from. I just noticed I had it by chance when I was upgrading a new multitool.

As I always assume I've got all the multitools I normally just mash buttons when I get a new blueprint.

pompidu

Your just wasting a whole bunch of time. 99% of the stuff that was promised to be in the game isn't, this is no different.

Seriously, Bethesda isn't getting this much hate for stuff I think they did that probably deserves it more (Sony too). Yes, I'm talking about mods on PS4 that they've gone quiet on (and promising something that it looks like they had no business promising since they really didn't know if they could do it. And also on Sony for being stubbern about this so we get the worst version of the game yet again and Sony could be doing somethign to help this!).

The game isn't quite what they advertised. It still is what I was thinking it was, just not as polished as they promised. People are going way overboard on the hate (I suspect it's some who like to jump for joy that they told you so, same people who seemed to want the game to fail honestly <- and yes there does seem to be a lot of people who did).

Honestly, I don't see how it was an egregious lie on what they claimed it was going to be. The lies it has is no different than I see AAA game makers do and they don't get near the flack that Hello Games is getting. It's the usual it was exagerated to be better than it was you see in a lot of games honestly (to the point I htink that I missed it at first before people pointed out old ads cause I expected some of that cause I'm jaded and expect what is the game to be not quite as shiny as what marketing says it is).

Let's not undersell the issue here. HG said a lot of things about this game that seem to be, at this point, complete fabrications or dreams that should have been kept to themselves. They should be taken to task, they should be scrutinized and they should be questioned. People have a right to be angry and they have a right to demand answers.

The circular, self-congratulatory, vitriol fueled wank fest that most of the threads about No Man's Sky become, however, doesn't help anyone and makes a lot of the posters on here look pretty childish. It detracts from actual discussion on the games issues, it detracts from the discussion on what HG promised and failed to deliver and it just makes a completely hostile environment that even I, with my relatively thick internet skin, don't have any interest in wading into.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't been able to play this week yet, since I limit it to Friday-Sunday. I can't just sit down and play this game for an hour like a reasonable person. I'll get home at 6:30, pop in the game at 7, and next thing I know, it's 11PM. I have to get up early to go to work in the mornings, and I of course want to spend as much time with my wife as I can doing husband and wife stuff, so I try to do something we can both do together (like Alienation or Divinity), or watch stuff like Demon's Souls playthroughs with her (we're watching LPDarkSoulsHD's Demon's Souls expert walkthrough at the moment).

I may end up breaking down and playing it tonight, but I'll probably regret it. I absolutely love the game. I just wish I had more free time to sink into it. My next tasks are still to get to the next Atlas Station, then warp to a few random planets not on any paths, and probably farm to upgrade my ship and hyperdrives. I built every hyperdrive for my current ship, but I wouldn't mind working to get a 48 slot ship at some point. I'm not done with this thing yet!

YEEEAAAAHHHHHH

I finally got my SOL Milestone complete. WOOOOO man what a shit fest.

I spent SO long on that planet too that I actually managed to 100% it. It even has those teeny tiny unkillable bugs that are nearly impossible to scan but somehow? I got them.

Time to start my Atlas Quest.

Raist

Banned
If anyone wants to waste a bunch of time with me, I'm (I think) 1 jump away from the correct system. This will likely end up like a Sony CES press conference (itsfuckingnothing.gif) and I'm expecting it might take some time to find the portal on that planet, but hey, why the fuck not. In a galaxy with 2^64 stars, none of what e do matters anyway.

https://www.twitch.tv/raist___

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Copied from a guide:

I saw a few lists like that but that's the first that's said you can fly in your ship around the planet without resetting the timer. Interesting.

I've spent almost 9 hrs today on a barren extreme cold planet running directly away from my ship (It's now about 1.5 hrs away from me) so I wouldn't accidentally jump into it.

I'm almost at Survival Milestone 9 now. Had fun running around farming spheres though (I found a base that bought for 3 percent higher and earned about 2-3 million).

I had to take a break so I hope rest mode doesn't fuck it up. There was one time the sentinels killed me but my previous save continued the timer so I hope there won't be any problem.

Funny thing is I've only done 4 jumps and am only on my first system of the Atlas Path. 70 milestones, 36-slot Gek-farmed ship and a lot of exploring.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't have a ship with a ton of space yet (only 22 slots) and I don't want to waste slots bulking up its shields and photon cannons to survive multiple pirate encounters, so what I've been doing is just targeting a clunker on planet as it flies by, shoot it down (it's never run to space so far), and then land somewhere before the sentinels send ships in to cancel the alert. Rinse and repeat.

I posted my method earlier in this thread but it does wonders for your ship milestone. Bait pirates or sentinel ships down to the planet and boost back up a few seconds, brake-flip, and then Death From Above them. They are easy pickings.

0racle

Guys, it's been fun. I platinumed it today after reading on all of the missing features and "ending " I'm glad it's over. Without a doubt I'm disappointed but I think I earned the right to say that. Sean really did kick us in the nuts.

Best way to find one is to wait at space stations or landing zones.

Naaah meng, I'm broke as fuck. I keep blowing my cash on inventory slots. I've been meaning to farm shit but I've yet to find decent planet / station combo, nor any of those random mother$#%@ing gold mine planets of pearls you guys keep finding.

Loudninja

Naaah meng, I'm broke as fuck. I keep blowing my cash on inventory slots. I've been meaning to farm shit but I've yet to find decent planet / station combo, nor any of those random mother$#%@ing gold mine planets of pearls you guys keep finding.

Shit man like 3 of my planets in my first system has gold on it I bought 2 ships already.

I guess I got really lucky. :p

I have about 10 more slots to go. I'm actually looking forward to maxing out so I can finally focus on getting a new ship.

I have about 10 more slots to go. I'm actually looking forward to maxing out so I can finally focus on getting a new ship.

I'm trying reaaaally hard not to cheese towers, just let it happen "organically", but when you're rocking 29 inventory slots and you've barely got enough ship slots to hold the upgrades necessary to make it fly and not suck, it hurts.

Shit man like 3 of my planets in my first system has gold on it I bought 2 ships already.

I guess I got really lucky. :p

I dunno, I've been having a hard time mining gold reliably. I can find it, especially giant pillars of it, I mine it all the way down and I get 26 gold out of it. The fuq?

pip77

YAY!!!

iH5fkevl.jpg

Now on to the center.

E92 M3

Found my first zero atmosphere planet. Was eerily beautiful seeing the sun and a dark sky full of stars at the same time.

Oh shit! Didn't know that was a thing. Sounds great.

I can't possibly imagine what Hello Games is feeling right now. Sure they're professionals, but they are still human. To release the thing you've been toiling over for years only to have the internet absolutely SHIT all over it, almost incessantly for literal weeks after it's released into the world is an almost impossible burden to carry. Sure there are some reasons for there to be valid criticism, and decisions made by a somewhat inexperienced developer (in managing PR) have more than bit them in the ass. But you can only soldier on and keep grinding under that pressure for so long before you say "screw it" and move on to another employment opportunity. Preferably one where your customers don't actively send you death threats or flood youtube/social media with hundreds of negative videos about your game.

I also hope No Man's Sky serves as a very potent cautionary tale for any future indie developer who hears the siren call from the platform holders to move up to the AAA "big leagues". Indie devs should not play in the AAA space in this day and age unless they are given the resources (or are already big enough) to compete at the AAA level. And that doesn't just mean delivering lots of "value", but also delivering a finished game quickly and in proscribed windows predetermined by publishers. That's a hard road to hoe even among huge seasoned development houses, let alone small indie devs working on a mostly indie-dev budget.

While I'm sure Hello Games will probably continue working on NMS for a while, thanks in large part to this big infusion of cash from week 1 sales, I could easily see a scenario where this is the last game they make as a studio. "From the developers that brought you Joe Danger" may not have meant a whole lot, but "From the Developers that brought you No Man's Sky" is not something this studio will probably never be able to escape, for better or (mostly) worse.

I completely agree. It's completely asinine to think that Sean went and purposely lied and it breaks my heart to see so many people berating him. That's why I've been worried that once the bugs are squashed they will just move on instead of updating the game for the next year.

Loudninja

I'm trying reaaaally hard not to cheese towers, just let it happen "organically", but when you're rocking 29 inventory slots and you've barely got enough ship slots to hold the upgrades necessary to make it fly and not suck, it hurts.

I dunno, I've been having a hard time mining gold reliably. I can find it, especially giant pillars of it, I mine it all the way down and I get 26 gold out of it. The fuq?
That does not sound right hmm.

The little small crystal one give me that much.

I tried the 'Flagpole Method' from the portal subreddit, and found one on my first try.

Obviously, one run of an experiment does not validate a theory but... hell of a coincidence. Or maybe there's just a lot more of these things around than we think.

This is actually the second one I've seen. The first was on my starting planet. Go figure.

Poyunch

I'm not actively seeking out a 48 slot ship just in case an update actually makes the game worth jumping back into in a meaningful way. Right now I'm just on auto-pilot mode taking pictures and gather rare resources to sell in the off-chance I really like a ship I pass by.
Haven't found a single Omega blueprint - just constantly getting dupes. How did you get it?

--

Anyone else worried they will not massively update the game after the bugs are fixed? It seems like with the reception, their morale could be at all-time low. I know mines would be in their place.

Personally love the game and looking forward to all of the promised features and changes.
The only omega blueprint I've found is a mining beam one and I could live without any other one. I found it just by looking through those mult-tool machines. It makes mining so much less annoying.

I don't even use my boltcaster unless I want to shake it up because a focused beam kills all the lower sentinels in a matter of seconds.

I tried the 'Flagpole Method' from the portal subreddit, and found one on my first try.

And it's just following the direction of the flagpole at a ruin right? Raist followed one and then got to another ruin with its flag pointing 90 degrees perpendicular to the first one, so unless there's multiple portals..

How far away from the ruin did you find yours?

BizzyBum

I'm still getting a nasty memory leak issue when I enter my ship sometimes. Game dips to about 10fps but once I reboot the game is perfectly fine. Hopefully this gets patched next update. It doesn't happen too often but it's annoying when it does.

And it's just following the direction of the flagpole at a ruin right? Raist followed one and then got to another ruin with its flag pointing 90 degrees perpendicular to the first one, so unless there's multiple portals..

How far away from the ruin did you find yours?

Yeah. Find a ruin with a flagpole. Seems to be only ones with a triangle or a circle in the center. Stand in the ruin and look through the triangular or circular opening and that is your bearing. Fly in that direction until you find another ruin or a portal. For this it took me about 15 minutes I believe. I landed at 3 or 4 monoliths along the way. Then I was just about to fly off to another planet and try there when I found another ruin. This ruin had the bearing a little different so I flew off that direction and in maybe 1 or 2 minutes found the portal.

Edit: Just to be clear, this was flying using the boost speed.

Top Bottom