• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Got my platinum tonight (finally). Trying to decide if I should keep pushing towards the center or call it quits until the updates hit. I'm still about 125k LY away, not sure I have another 20+ hours in me.

Unicorn

Is the PC performance thread gone? There was a 76mb patch today for experimental build. I'm curious if there's any info about it.

Raist

Banned
Hmmm. Been jumping to quite a few other players' systems, and every time none of the planets were marked as discovered. Either something's broken, or I gues I was just unlucky and these were just systems they blasted through to get to an Atlas Station or something.

Hmmm. Been jumping to quite a few other players' systems, and every time none of the planets were marked as discovered. Either something's broken, or I gues I was just unlucky and these were just systems they blasted through to get to an Atlas Station or something.
There was a period where I only visited planets after every 5 warp jumps (refilling time). So it could be bad luck, and I'm unfortunately part of the problem...

gpn

It's so nice to find other people enjoying the game besides me. Looking at the other No Man's Sky threads, it feels like they're playing a different game than I am. This game really sucks me in, I start it up thinking I'm only going to play for an hour and the next thing I know 3-4 hours have gone by.

Spyware

It's so nice to find other people enjoying the game besides me. Looking at the other No Man's Sky threads, it feels like they're playing a different game than I am. This game really sucks me in, I start it up thinking I'm only going to play for an hour and the next thing I know 3-4 hours have gone by.
Yeah from reading about it precisely everywhere else you would think nobody could like it. :p

Unai

This. Time goes really fast when playing this game. I'm saying since last week that I want to wait more patches before playing even more but I just can't. The "just one more thing" urge is huge in this one.

There's a very toxic culture/community of people who seem to only want to have it one way or the other; they either want to hate the game on the most extreme level, or they want to drink the hype-flavored kool-aid and remain blind to the perceptible flaws that any rational person would acknowledge. Even the most ardent fans of the game have to realize that there's a gulf between what was shown and what we got...but the haters are relentless in driving it home. One group feeds into the other in a vicious cycle.

Rarely have I seen balanced discussions on NMS outside of this thread. As someone who enjoys the game, flaws and all, I'm happy to visit the OT and find some really good insights into what people are up to, and what they're enjoying that has them coming back for more.

Good on ya, OT peeps.

BizzyBum

When I was grinding my way to the center I probably warped close to 100 times without stopping besides refueling, so it's probable those are the types of systems you're visiting.

No Man's Sky is the perfect game for me right now. I have a young child, so my gaming time is already limited and I can't play violent or profane titles around her. An interstellar walking simulator? Perfect. No Man's Sky is like the videogame equivalent of hiking; if you're looking for Laser Tag or Jetskiing, walking in the woods is going to sound like some seriously boring shit. But sometimes walking around and enjoying the splendor of nature is exactly what you're looking for. That's why the game resonates with me; I just want shallow exploration. I get why people are upset (except the complaints about multiplayer, which was never, ever, ever touted as a major feature), but what was provided is exactly what I was looking for.

Man, that BigThings mod really gives a nice glimpse of just how much scale can change things. This right here is a semi-desolate planet, there's enough flora to go around, but nothing major. With the mod, it feels like a proper alien jungle at moments, I even flew through the opening with the low flight mod enabled, it's pretty sweet. The screenshot looks almost like you're in a cave. Hitting plants with your ship doesn't damage you, just slows you down or completely stops you, which can get annoying but also you can destroy your obstacles with the ship's weapons, so that's even cooler. The problem is that the proc gen distance is really close, so the low poly LOD assets are still small while the gigantic assets pop in really close.

Q0wYzWW.jpg

E92 M3

They can optimize the engine even more - just like they did with the Day 0 patch. Really hoping for a year of updates - the game can truly ascend.

And I love it as it is, too.

It would be great to see the following;

Crash lands due to storms or other malfunctions.
Planets and systems with no alien presence.
Underground ruins.
Ship builder.
Establishing a presence and calling a race to colninize it.
Better landing/ navigation.

Game rocks, I'm living it.

They can optimize the engine even more - just like they did with the Day 0 patch. Really hoping for a year of updates - the game can truly ascend.

And I love it as it is, too.

It has got its flaws, it's definitely missing a lot of stuff they said would be in it, but I still love it. It's a stupendous achievement, I feel like I've dreaming of a game like this since I was a kid, just look at a place, a planet, and go there. I hope they spend a lot of time making it even better.

E92 M3

It has got its flaws, it's definitely missing a lot of stuff they said would be in it, but I still love it. It's a stupendous achievement, I feel like I've dreaming of a game like this since I was a kid, just look at a place, a planet, and go there. I hope they spend a lot of time making it even better.

It's a dream game for me as well. I hope their morale wasn't destroyed.

Wish it was easier to find all the animals. Gonna take forever to platinum at this rate.

The rod dots that appear when using your goggles represent new animals. Helped me a lot.

I didn't realize to get a trophy you needed to stay on a planet for so long. Was up to 3+ sols and thought I was doing good.

It's my pearl planet, and one of the other planets in the system is a drop pod planet. 11 spots added in an hour, but I can't seem to find any more, even on the other side.

I wonder if stuff like that is mathematically limited. Like there might be 100 pods generated, but they are the same 15 or so. I don't think I explained that clearly.

By the time I get both my max slot ship and the survivability achievement on this planet I will master the korvax language.

I'm already getting some conversations fully translated.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Got my platinum tonight (finally). Trying to decide if I should keep pushing towards the center or call it quits until the updates hit. I'm still about 125k LY away, not sure I have another 20+ hours in me.

I've found myself coming back more than I expected. Do a couple of jumps, explore a couple of planets. It's a lot of fun. Each time is a little progress. I can't imagine there's any enjoyment is trying to grind it out though.

renzollo

Banned
I came across something like this with no way of activating anything. What is it?

http://i0.wp.com/gameranx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/NMS4-1.jpeg?resize=1024,576

As someone who's still enjoying the game, the fact that you can explore to find this structure and its gorgeous surrounding environment but it does absolutely nothing is so disappointing.

Edit: Actually now I realize that's a concept art shot and the thing you saw in game probably isn't that gorgeous looking. Still...

8byte

Banned
Man, I can't believe no one at Hello Games said "should we have any really big plants?"

It just looks. So. Much. Cooler.

Aenima

Wish it was easier to find all the animals. Gonna take forever to platinum at this rate.

I think you can still get the 100% from planets with no Fauna. So if u land in one of those just click on the 100% button and it will count for the milestone.

Unicorn

How much playtime does everyone have?

I've had the game for about 6 days and already clocked 45 hours. Though, today I only played for about an hour and I felt burned out. Viewed a system and warped out when no good Planets or ships showed up and the next system was also a dud. First time after about 3 or 4 systems where'd I spend hours on every planet.

Will wait for the update 2 to probably dig in again.

How much playtime does everyone have?

I've had the game for about 6 days and already clocked 45 hours. Though, today I only played for about an hour and I felt burned out. Viewed a system and warped out when no good Planets or ships showed up and the next system was also a dud. First time after about 3 or 4 systems where'd I spend hours on every planet.

Will wait for the update 2 to probably dig in again.
Is there a way to check playtime on PS4?

Man, I can't believe no one at Hello Games said "should we have any really big plants?"

It just looks. So. Much. Cooler.

They did. The game used to have larger trees (though not as big as this mod)

But the game also had to come out on PS4. And big trees and short draw distances due to relatively weak CPUs don't mix particularly well.

VARIA

70+ hours in and every entry into a new planet feels like I'm unwrapping a present.

Love this game.

It's a beautiful, spiritual successor to Noctis IV.

Couldn't ask for more. :)

VARIA

Has anyone seen many of these wings?

I think I've seen them only once before, they seem pretty rare. I'm considering switching but I'll have to give up this bad boy.

They are great looking but their slots (20 max in my game) did not warrant a transfer. I'm hoping to find something similar with more storage in my travels.

Poetaster

Banned
They are great looking but their slots (20 max in my game) did not warrant a transfer. I'm hoping to find something similar with more storage in my travels.
I'm at 48 slots so I should be able to find a crashed version with that many. I just can't stop switching ships, a new one is always catching my eye.

Top Bottom