• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Razgreez

Ok, i was able to do it for 1 planet but now all other planets show that as 100% and i can't do it again... Weird

Sometimes you land on a planet and it doesn't register the fauna (and thus shows 100%). Scan something and then go back to the view and it then shows the list of ???? and 0%.

On the PS4 at least it sometimes shows "LOREM IPSUM" instead of ???? when you switch to the page quickly and then reverts back to ????

This is not necessarily a criticism of NMS, but this game is, like... actively unhealthy for me. In a way I feel I kind of need to deconstruct, lol.

I don't particularly love the moment-to-moment gameplay, but this somehow has the perfect amount of "but I have to look around until I get [element/component/etc]" hooks to make me lose entire nights to something I'm not actively enjoying. It feels like I may as well have been sucked in by a fucking idle clicker game.

I've spent generally too much time on games since, well, forever, but this is the first one that has me kind of scared in a weird way.

Sometimes you land on a planet and it doesn't register the fauna (and thus shows 100%). Scan something and then go back to the view and it then shows the list of ???? and 0%.

On the PS4 at least it sometimes shows "LOREM IPSUM" instead of ???? when you switch to the page quickly and then reverts back to ????

Everyone sees that I believe. From Wiki:

"In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum (derived from Latin dolorem ipsum, translated as "pain itself") is a filler text commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation. Replacing meaningful content with placeholder text allows designers to design the form of the content before the content itself has been produced."

Fuck this game. Literally every blueprint I pick up is 'already known'. I have 8 atlas stones clogging up my inventory and can't get rid of them until I've finished the atlas quest...

I can't finish the atlas quest because i have to fly to other systems. I can't fly to other systems because i need the theta warp reactor. I can't get the theta warp reactor because every fucking blueprint I pick up is 'already known'.

Fuck this game. Literally every blueprint I pick up is 'already known'.
giphy.gif

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone seen many of these wings?

I think I've seen them only once before, they seem pretty rare. I'm considering switching but I'll have to give up this bad boy.

Those are both very cool ships. It's a tough choice but I'd probably go for it if I was you. The new one has a 'different' look to it, if you know what I mean.

Haven't came across anything like that myself, yet. Only upgraded my ship 6 or 7 times and I'm happy enough with what I've got just now, but it's a bit common. Can't wait to find something more unique.

Was just thinking last night, as I jumped out after landing and realised my ship was dangling precariously over the edge of a cliff, again, that it would be really cool if the game zoomed out to a third person view when flying. I'd be very happy if they patched that in, at least as an option. It would mean landing was less of the guessing game it is right now, and it would let us admire our ships as we flew. Don't think it would have a negative impact on the feel of space combat either.

Septimius

Fuck this game. Literally every blueprint I pick up is 'already known'. I have 8 atlas stones clogging up my inventory and can't get rid of them until I've finished the atlas quest...

I can't finish the atlas quest because i have to fly to other systems. I can't fly to other systems because i need the theta warp reactor. I can't get the theta warp reactor because every fucking blueprint I pick up is 'already known'.

I literally only had Sigma for the entire Atlas Path. All my Atlas Interfaces were always like 10 jumps away. It's fine doing to jumps to get to the next one.

Goddamn I'm running so many mods atm that make this game so much better.

Although I'm scared that future patches could end up messing them up. Need to keep track of which ones I have running I think lol.

Finally found a freighter ship in the configuration I was looking for. Not perfect, and not sold on the color scheme, but it will work for now....

00075c3368.jpg

Ridwald

Finally found a freighter ship in the configuration I was looking for. Not perfect, and not sold on the color scheme, but it will work for now....

00075c3368.jpg

Woooah, nice ride. Never saw one of these models with large wings ... it's awesome. It's nice to see that there are still some starship variants that i never encountered.

I really hope at some point that they add some sort of starship building facilities where you can play with these parts and create/modify your ship (And that we can dock multiple starships in our future freighters to !).

The center! At last! Excuse me while I scream for a bit. This is super mega sad for me since I had a good deal of fun most of the way. It sucked me in for way more hours than I care to admit. I've even been defensive about the game and mostly enjoyed myself despite very substantive issues, but no, screw this.

I'd have just stopped
at the Atlus ending
if I knew there was going to be zero else to any story/questing. I stopped at hundreds of ruins and plaques to get the broader narrative because I was enjoying putting 2+2 together with the different bits from different races but apparently even that's a dead end. I learned hundreds of words because it was neat putting that stuff together, too. Would have been better off doing this until eternity, not knowing there was a goal point. And, you know, I was sold on the overall flow of the game. Pushing myself forward to learn or discover a few more little things? The minimalist story? Yeah, sure, not necessarily an efficient use of my free time, but it had some purpose. Sort of like long-term and open-ended objectives in MMOs. So, ironically, were the center of the galaxy not a destination you could reach, I'd still be enjoying myself.

There's sooooo much potential in here, It's infuriating to see this kind of sandbox and have its execution be completely botched. Like hiring a famous actor for a movie in a role where they do nothing but drool on the floor and paying them tens of millions of dollars for it, ans hyping an audience up for years about it before release. Games with such good potential at their cores but botched in practice anger me like no other. Anger me far more than truly bad games, since those are easy to call out as bad where few redeeming things are lost. Before hitting the center I would just have rated it as "disappointment of the year," but it's now a lock for "fail of the year."

mario_O

Dumb question. If I upgrade my suit/ship from a +1 to a +2 or +3, ¿can I get rid of the older tech +1? ¿Or does it count for the stats?

goonergaz

I have to say, much as I love the game - I love the chilling - the 'existing' in and interesting place - the exploration - the ease of flying from planet to planet...

...dispite all that (~30hrs in) I'm at a point where I'm not sure how much more I want to put in.

I've already pretty much given up on the languages and ruins, I seem to already know all the tech I keep finding - I really cannot be bothered any more with those aspects, and whilst the planets are interesting I'm not finding enough variety really, I've only visited 2 star systems and a dozen planets - I plan to hyperdrive to a different color star to see it that changes things up, I recall comments about things getting 'crazier' nearer the centre - is that true?

I'm tempted to do this last jump and then put it tp one side until all the extra bits are added in because to save up ~3M for a bigger ship will take some grinding (and they keep leaving me suit upgrade drop-pods to suck my money!

I have to say, much as I love the game - I love the chilling - the 'existing' in and interesting place - the exploration - the ease of flying from planet to planet...

...dispite all that (~30hrs in) I'm at a point where I'm not sure how much more I want to put in.

I've already pretty much given up on the languages and ruins, I seem to already know all the tech I keep finding - I really cannot be bothered any more with those aspects, and whilst the planets are interesting I'm not finding enough variety really, I've only visited 2 star systems and a dozen planets - I plan to hyperdrive to a different color star to see it that changes things up, I recall comments about things getting 'crazier' nearer the centre - is that true?

I'm tempted to do this last jump and then put it tp one side until all the extra bits are added in because to save up ~3M for a bigger ship will take some grinding (and they keep leaving me suit upgrade drop-pods to suck my money!

Im at the same sort of point. Ive played about 40 hours and enjoyed it but starting to feel its very repetitive. I tend to land on a planet, check out the building, mooch about a bit and then if there isnt any special items i just lift off and go to the next.

goonergaz

Im at the same sort of point. Ive played about 40 hours and enjoyed it but starting to feel its very repetitive. I tend to land on a planet, check out the building, mooch about a bit and then if there isnt any special items i just lift off and go to the next.

It wouldn't be so bad if the buildings/outposts/drop pods/etc were essentially the same.

Or if some planets had spewing volcanoes or other things that throw a curve-ball

It wouldn't be so bad if the buildings/outposts/drop pods/etc were essentially the same.

Or if some planets had spewing volcanoes or other things that throw a curve-ball

I was once attacked by a friendly looking teddy bear with a volcano head (sort of). So that's... kind of a curveball.

So, I think I'm screwed in my game. I repaired the first ship and landed on a new planet. But, when I landed it was on top of some sort of weird Warner Brothers looking desert rock sculptures. I fell off of the rock and landed hundreds of feet below. I can't get back up to my ship now. It doesn't seem to register the rock as a cliff so I don't get the unlimited rocket pack boost to get up there.

So, I think I'm screwed in my game. I repaired the first ship and landed on a new planet. But, when I landed it was on top of some sort of weird Warner Brothers looking desert rock sculptures. I fell off of the rock and landed hundreds of feet below. I can't get back up to my ship now. It doesn't seem to register the rock as a cliff so I don't get the unlimited rocket pack boost to get up there.

Make a staircase with your grenades or search for an outpost with a console to summon your ship.

noomi

After about 50 hours with the game, I think I'm ready to take a break.

Ship and exosuit are 48 slots, I have all the upgrades that I want, visited a few systems, played around with PC mods. All that's left to do is find a 24 slot multitool.

I didn't make an attempt for the center, or to follow the atlas path yet.... but I really enjoyed the game, and have faith that we will have more content that make the game more interesting in the future.

Time to beat some indie games, and prep for Rise of Iron & Battlefield 1 now :)

Raist

Banned
If you guys worry about the devs being demoralized because of all the backlash, you can always flip them an email. But I'm sure they're mostly too busy to pay attention to all the trolling online anyway.

Raist

Banned
where do i find these?

and how do i find new ships?

Can't really answer the first one, they sometimes pop in on a planet but there's no definite "where".

Space stations, trading posts if you want to buy from an alien, and crashed ships sites in which case you'll have to fix stuff.

Oh cool, thanks! I didn't know you could summon your ship.

There are these little "pillars" or "hubs" sticking out of the ground at some of the outposts; they have lights on them.

You can use a bypass chip to summon your ship to one of those, as well. Or use the console at the landing pad of an outpost.

And to those who are feeling burnt out on the game, I wouldn't feel too bad. I've decided to take a short break from it to catch up on my backlog. There will always be new planets to discover, when I'm in the mood.

E92 M3

It's still kinda surprising they don't have more stats in the game - including time played. Also, why does it only keep track of most units player made at one time. Instead of global earnings?

Very strange design decisions.

SomTervo

I don't particularly love the moment-to-moment gameplay, but this somehow has the perfect amount of "but I have to look around until I get [element/component/etc]" hooks to make me lose entire nights to something I'm not actively enjoying.

This is exactly how I felt about Destiny before I dumped it. Like precisely the same feeling.

I prefer NMS, though. The occasional times when you find a particularly cool planet or animal make it really worth it and at least you have that to drag you along, unlike Destiny, where there's just a literal brick wall after 2 minutes of driving on your Sparrow.

If you guys worry about the devs being demoralized because of all the backlash, you can always flip them an email. But I'm sure they're mostly too busy to pay attention to all the trolling online anyway.

From personal experience it takes about 10 positive emails to outweight one really horrible email, wrt post-game-launch feedback.

And Hello Games are probably seeing a ratio substantially in the other direction.

SomTervo

WE know that feel.

Trust me man, this is one of those games that everyone will come around to (in time), much like Wind Waker.

I don't think that's true unfortunately. Even if they pull off some real magic with their update schedule and manage to make the game very close to what was "originally promised", I think so many people are going to be miffed after the whole launch debacle they'll never come around to it.

From what I remember everyone was loving Wind Waker right from the word go? I guess I wasn't on forums/boards much then.

hello_boys_i_m_backvwusm.gif

Thanks, eyeball_kid!

Welcome back, lz!

There's sooooo much potential in here, It's infuriating to see this kind of sandbox and have its execution be completely botched. Like hiring a famous actor for a movie in a role where they do nothing but drool on the floor and paying them tens of millions of dollars for it, ans hyping an audience up for years about it before release. Games with such good potential at their cores but botched in practice anger me like no other. Anger me far more than truly bad games, since those are easy to call out as bad where few redeeming things are lost. Before hitting the center I would just have rated it as "disappointment of the year," but it's now a lock for "fail of the year."

mgsv reference? :) ...

I don't think that's true unfortunately. Even if they pull off some real magic with their update schedule and manage to make the game very close to what was "originally promised", I think so many people are going to be miffed after the whole launch debacle they'll never come around to it.

Yeah, no matter how good the game gets i think there will be an element of doubling-down regardless. I couldn't care less though i'm having fun with the game and it can only get better from here... well there's some rumoured upcoming additions that i hope are optional but that's just my preference for things.

I'm looking forward to spending time with NMS & Obduction this bank holiday weekend. I lose hours in those games just pootling around exploring and stuff. I can see myself still jumping into NMS at christmas to unwind after family visits etc.

I found a system where I'm gonna stay for a bit. I'm still only a few hours into the game.

I named one planet Hot Ass Onions because it's hot, and all the plants look like weird Onions.

daveo42

Banned
So back on the Extreme track after spending a few hours on a planet with Calium and heavily toxic atmosphere. Shield panels have become my new go-to recharge.

Man, I can't believe no one at Hello Games said "should we have any really big plants?"

It just looks. So. Much. Cooler.

They probably did, but scrapped it for the draw distance/LOD issues ichtyander described.

I mean, they had giant creatures and took them out for an unknown reason. What problem could there have been other than technical limitations?

Top Bottom