• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Hey uh...maybe there should be a new thread for new news, but there have already been so many No Man's Sky threads recently...

People are going back to their starting planet and finding out that all their discoveries are gone. Undiscovered, unnamed. They seem to be dropping off chronologically, in order of discovery.

So as I got closer to the center I thought to my self I should head back home good thing I set a waypoint on my starting planet to find my way back. I finally made it back after many hours and I found out all my discoveries were wiped and it said I discovered it on the 11th when I started on the 9th.. I check a few neighboring stars I discovered and their discovers were wiped.. So none of my named animals plants were ever saved. The system name and planet names were saved but everything elts was wiped. I'm kinda sad that after heading back that all that I discovered was never really saved except the system and planet names.. Edit:Thanks for the replies, seems like I have to re explore my starting system all over again! Thanks HG!

I've got this as well, I think. The more systems and planets I discover (or animals and plants, not sure what causes this) older animals, plants and checkpoints appear to be overridden or something?
E.G. Yesterday I browsed my list of discoveries, and went all the way to my starting planet. The system and all the planets I've ever been to are clearly marked as being discovered by me, the planets list 100% completion for animal scans but I can't see any animal or plant in the gallery and all of them appear as ???????.
I then checked every planet in the list until I hit one that was starting to be "corrupted". It only had 3 checkpoints (I usually hit up a lot more) and only 3/9 animals discovered (worst case scenario I end up with 2 animals undiscovered). I memorized the planet, and went on playing and discovering new stuff.
The next day, browsed the list again. The planet was wiped clean and so were a couple more. There's definitely something off. And it's not the offline thing.
EDIT: Just to be clear enough, discoveries are being erased in chronological order. First system, second system and so on. It's not random. It's a pattern, starting from your very first discoveries.
I just discovered this. Found about 15 different save points and named them all. Only 6 show up in the list. When I find a new one the last one gets booted.
Have seen other reports of this happening. I hope it's a bug and not a deliberate feature to clear people's discoveries for some reason. I'd always enjoyed the thought of someone someday finding my starting world and seeing the names of the creatures, etc

Lots of speculation. Could be a bug, or could be something they always intended to do in order to save space in the database, counting on the thought that no one would ever try to go back (or that it would even be possible to find your earlier planets again due to circumstances surrounding the ending you're intended to reach).

Anyone at GAF able to test this?

Raist

Banned
As someone who's still enjoying the game, the fact that you can explore to find this structure and its gorgeous surrounding environment but it does absolutely nothing is so disappointing.

Edit: Actually now I realize that's a concept art shot and the thing you saw in game probably isn't that gorgeous looking. Still...

Here it is ingame.

nomanssky_2016082223321s0d.png

Quite beautiful indeed.

somme

Lots of speculation. Could be a bug, or could be something they always intended to do in order to save space in the database, counting on the thought that no one would ever try to go back (or that it would even be possible to find your earlier planets again due to circumstances surrounding the ending you're intended to reach).

Anyone at GAF able to test this?

Could it not be something as simple as people were uploading when the server was down? So it never got saved?

Raist

Banned
Could it not be something as simple as people were uploading when the server was down? So it never got saved?

I've got 15 pages of planets/systems. The first 3 2 (as in, the older ones) are wiped in terms of waypoints/creatures etc. Now that was probably Day 1, maybe 2, during which the servers were just shit.

I've jumped through 3 black holes and haven't set waypoints back home, so I'm not going to go and check, but I assume if it's gone from the list it's probably gone from the actual planet.

So basically, it's either the early server issues, or there's the overwriting stuff going on.
I've taken a screencap on the oldest system I still have stuff listed in, and will check later on after uploading some more stuff.

edit: correction, the last 2 pages actually.

If you notice that one quote, one guy found a planet in the middle of forgetting its data, left and came back later and it was all gone.

Though in that case it could be that all his data was just saving locally and it was also being forgotten locally...

Severance

I jumped in and bought the game. No regrets here! No Man's Sky was nowhere on my radar prior to release. Strangely enough, all the negativity and backlash against No Man's Sky perked my interest. I dropped in on a few Twitch streams and realized it was the game for me. I haven't read the extensive list on Reddit of what was promised, and I dont really want to. The game is really quite an achievement for a developer with all of 10 people. Greatest game ever? Nah. I don't think it's meant for the mainstream AAA audience. It certainly sounds like Hello Games shot themselves in the foot trying to break into the mainstream on flashy trailers and grand visions without realizing their own limitations. Enough about that. On to the game itself.

I find that journeying to the center really burns me out on the game. I kinda lost all will to when I was spoiled on it as well haha. I feel like I'm on a journey to find the sweetest planets, fully discover them and make them my own. That seems to be where I'm getting the most enjoyment out of my experience.

mokeyjoe

I find that journeying to the center really burns me out on the game. I kinda lost all will to when I was spoiled on it as well haha. I feel like I'm on a journey to find the sweetest planets, fully discover them and make them my own. That seems to be where I'm getting the most enjoyment out of my experience.

Yeah, I've headed out in the opposite direction. 205k LY and counting.

Is it me or did the recent PS4 patch make draw in more obviously while flying the ship on planet surface?

I really dont like the fade method they use.

As a game, NMS is a big disappointment to me.

But as an alien world generator, its incredible and beautiful. I find myself playing it just to soak in the atmosphere rather than to progress.

Nice to see so many pictures here totally different from planets I have been too.

Haven't run into anything this large yet myself. Is this PS4 or modded PC?

Is it me or did the recent PS4 patch make draw in more obviously while flying the ship on planet surface?

I really dont like the fade method they use.

Well, it's either this or every single planet gets shrouded in fog at all times. Not really sure how they could hide the generation otherwise. Maybe the cloud processing update that's coming will help in this area.

SomTervo

Yeah, no matter how good the game gets i think there will be an element of doubling-down regardless. I couldn't care less though i'm having fun with the game and it can only get better from here... well there's some rumoured upcoming additions that i hope are optional but that's just my preference for things.

I'm looking forward to spending time with NMS & Obduction this bank holiday weekend. I lose hours in those games just pootling around exploring and stuff. I can see myself still jumping into NMS at christmas to unwind after family visits etc.

Yeah I'm having a decent time with it and the potential for improvements is vast. It's perfect for those sort of 'down times' you're referring to.

This just doesn't negate the thousands of people who are livid they paid a lot for an experience based on things repeatedly stated in interviews.

I also think a full 50 Great British Pounds is a bit much for the game. Even I feel like it's more of a £30 job, and I'm a fan.

Haven't run into anything this large yet myself. Is this PS4 or modded PC?

I've run into things nearly as big as that, yeah. Like maybe a few metres off. These are damn extreme, though.

Mr Git

I finally got round to playing this over the last few days. Had been maintaining my media blackout and despite seeing lots of threads of disappointment on here I haven't really had it. Definitely noticed a few things missing or different from the reveal trailers but it's everything I thought it would be - not reading and absorbing everything paid off it seems. Really enjoying it as an exploration game generally. Named a planet Omikron Persei 8. Wish it was easier to track where I've been on the galactic map - sometimes I warp out just to sell something at a better price but want to go back and uhh it's there somewhere..

No Man's Sky: how I learnt to shrug off Atlas and embrace capitalism.

SomTervo

Shit just got so real with that Big Things mod.

Planets just became so real.

Is it demanding? My PC is probably 30x more powerful than my PS4 and this is tempting me to go halfers on the PC version with a pal.

Hmm. That makes sense.

Raist

Banned
I finally got round to playing this over the last few days. Had been maintaining my media blackout and despite seeing lots of threads of disappointment on here I haven't really had it. Definitely noticed a few things missing or different from the reveal trailers but it's everything I thought it would be - not reading and absorbing everything paid off it seems. Really enjoying it as an exploration game generally. Named a planet Omikron Persei 8. Wish it was easier to track where I've been on the galactic map - sometimes I warp out just to sell something at a better price but want to go back and uhh it's there somewhere..

No Man's Sky: how I learnt to shrug off Atlas and embrace capitalism.

While on the galactic map there's an option to scan for discoveries. It will check the nearest ones. Can take some time as it's basically scanning the database. It includes your own discoveries, not just other people's, so that's a way to go back to places. Assuming you remember the name of the system etc, but then there's your discovery list to help.

Is any of this even remotely representative of the final product? All videos that I've seen are just barren wastelands of muddy poopy looking planets with weird nonsensical creature design.

Yes and no. No assets are added here, just the size changed of the flora changed for an awesomely dramatic effect. I've been on plenty of lush worlds or strange worlds that are a far cry from "muddy and poopy" (lol) even without that mod. That mod is awesome though and I agree that the sense of scale and alienness that it adds is a huge boon to the game.

OH MY GOD.

Well hello stranger. Welcome back!

mokeyjoe

Is any of this even remotely representative of the final product? All videos that I've seen are just barren wastelands of muddy poopy looking planets with weird nonsensical creature design.

edit: oh that's a mod that just scales things up and adds more to the worlds? Lol this is what the game should have looked like.

Just scales things up, doesn't add anything.

If you think all the world's are muddy then you haven't been paying much attention.

There are a lot of good mods I really hope they'll bring over to the PS4.

As weird as it sounds for a survival exploration game, I really hope they add more survival and exploration elements. Like, I get why they didn't have low flying, because people might get stuck in a cave or something. So what? Blast your way out. Go explore and find or buy another ship. Too toxic/hot/cold? Try travelling underground. You know, survive.

Probably the best experience I've had in the game was when I picked up my first crashed ship and I stupidly forgot to dismantle everything on my old ship first. The planet I was on was toxic as hell (or radioactive, can't remember) and it was an absolute pain in the ass to get everything I needed to repair my new ship, but damn was getting off that hellhole ever rewarding.

Raist

Banned

edit: oh that's a mod that just scales things up and adds more to the worlds? Lol this is what the game should have looked like.

All the mod does is blow up existing assets.

Here are some screens I took myself (PS4, so no mods).

nomanssky_20160820105hpspk.png

nomanssky_20160820103pfsha.png

What does "nonsensical creatures" mean, in the context of alien worlds?

labx

Banned
I'm back from the ban guys. I have a LOT Vortex cube. they have any perks? Or is a trade item? Any news from up coming patches? Level up with me.

Mossybrew

All the mod does is blow up existing assets.

Here are some screens I took myself (PS4, so no mods).

nomanssky_20160820105hpspk.png

nomanssky_20160820103pfsha.png

What does "nonsensical creatures" mean, in the context of alien worlds?

Great pics, eeeexcept for those godawful waypoint markers. Such an easy fix, they should appear when you scan, then fade out.

Loudninja

I'm back from the ban guys. I have a LOT Vortex cube. they have any perks? Or is a trade item? Any news from up coming patches? Level up with me.
The next patch will fixed 90% of the crashes and other bugs.

They are fixing issues before adding new stuff.

Vortex Cubes are cash money, my friend. Sell them. All patches thus far have been focused on increasing stability and preventing crashes, which the most recent patch (1.05) has for me. Once that has been sorted out, HG has said that want to start adding things to the game e.g. freighters and base building.

Aww just seen a creature attack a little small one :(

Yeah I just left a planet where there were these tiny little teddy bear-looking creatures that were getting stomped on by these large cow-looking predators. :(

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I was like "oh shit!" first time I saw that.

Little one didn't make it :(

The worst thing was while I was feeling sorry for the little one the predator decided I would be next. Their behaviour can actually get quite complex, I had one planet with herds and different predator groups running around chasing each other. It was fun just watching all the life interacting with each other.

Raven77

Surprised more people aren't talking about the youtube video from PS4 with 25+ meter tall creatures. That's a game changer for me just knowing that stuff like that is possible.

It doesnt appear to be fake as I posted a video above of him flipping through the youtube video breakdown on his PS4.

Unai

It seems that the latest experimental build fixed the transmission tower glitch in Gek planets. At least I can't do it anymore.

Mr Git

While on the galactic map there's an option to scan for discoveries. It will check the nearest ones. Can take some time as it's basically scanning the database. It includes your own discoveries, not just other people's, so that's a way to go back to places. Assuming you remember the name of the system etc, but then there's your discovery list to help.

Ace okay thanks. I had pressed that but it would do nothing forever - I'll give it another shot. Would like to nip back a few systems to some vortex cube planets I found. It's also kinda nice to go back to planets that aren't boiling/freezing/toxic or barren.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised more people aren't talking about the youtube video from PS4 with 25+ meter tall creatures. That's a game changer for me just knowing that stuff like that is possible.

It doesnt appear to be fake as I posted a video above of him flipping through the youtube video breakdown on his PS4.

Why would it be fake? There are plenty of big creatures in the game. This stuff is supposed to be rare but people have been seeing them since day 1.

labx

Banned
Vortex Cubes are cash money, my friend. Sell them. All patches thus far have been focused on increasing stability and preventing crashes, which the most recent patch (1.05) has for me. Once that has been sorted out, HG has said that want to start adding things to the game e.g. freighters and base building.

Yeah I just left a planet where there were these tiny little teddy bear-looking creatures that were getting stomped on by these large cow-looking predators. :(

Oh dude I'm going to be rich AF. I'm going to buy a super ship. BTW, this game is full of hidden mechanics, anyone have found how to increase ships capacity with out buying one?

edit: I have been reading about going back to the starting planet, how in the galaxy can I do that?

Raven77

Why would it be fake? There are plenty of big creatures in the game. This stuff is supposed to be rare but people have been seeing them since day 1.

90 foot tall creatures?

I've been following every bit of info both before and after launch and although some people have posted pics of 15-20 foot tall creatures, I haven't seen anything even remotely close to this posted by any non-modded players.

Top Bottom