• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Poyunch

FFS what a shit analogy, I don't understand why I need to explain this to grown adults, but I will anyway. You got your money back for your washing machine because it no longer worked. You could no longer wash your clothes with it, and therefore it was not FIT FOR PURPOSE.

In the case of No Man's Sky - 50 hours in it is still playable. It might crash occasionally, it might not be the game you thought it would be or wanted it to be, but ultimately, you can still play it. It is fit for purpose, in that it is a game and you can play it. Plus, you could argue they are constantly repairing the game for free, in the form of patches.

The correct analogy for the ridiculous bullshit going on here is "I have used my washing machine 63 times and for 4 of the washes it stopped and I had to restart it. But it still washed the clothes fine. They have since repaired my washing machine and it hasn't stopped since. But I want a refund anyway."
No it's more like a toaster that was promised to be high-end but the end result is a toaster that offers mediocre toast and an occasional failure. Most people wanted a good game, not just a playable one and the fact is for some people they didn't get what they wanted and because of this it's harder to overlook the crashes and other annoyances.

Do the letters and numbers beside the star type give a hint as to what you'll find there? For example an O2f star, does the 2 and f give any clues?

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Spectral_class

I've basically stopped visiting K stars after learning this.

edit: Oh I meant G stars lol

NickMitch

Regarding patch 1.07 ......One thing that did seem odd, and maybe it's just this particular planet I'm on, but outposts suddenly seem scarce. Prior to this patch I was practically tripping over buildings, but I flew around for 15 minutes last night and only saw 2 or 3 encampments. Anyone noticed the same?

I also have a feeling that they have toned down the abundance of buildings - but as you say, it's hard to know what's different and not in such a massive game - they should put out more detailed patch notes!

In the process of uploading my new video, I tried to practice my photoshop skills for the YT Thumbnail LOL

ytthumbnail69sh1.png

I have peaked as a human being.

Also, that refund thread.... I always thought the mileage you gave a game sorta connected with how well you enjoyed it. And to me, if you're putting dozens and dozens of hours into a game, that tells me you enjoyed it, regardless of it's issues.

All those comments seem kinda... I dunno.. Spiteful.

As someone who bought Fallout 4 digitally and is forever stuck with it, I know first hand that hours played doesn't equal hours enjoyed. Two hours isn't enough to evaluate the majority of games and that definitely needs to change. I do think asking for your money back after 50+ hours is ridiculous, though. As much as I ended up hating Fallout 4, it'd be a real dick move to ask for a refund after so much gameplay.

FFS what a shit analogy, I don't understand why I need to explain this to grown adults, but I will anyway. You got your money back for your washing machine because it no longer worked. You could no longer wash your clothes with it, and therefore it was not FIT FOR PURPOSE.

In the case of No Man's Sky - 50 hours in it is still playable. It might crash occasionally, it might not be the game you thought it would be or wanted it to be, but ultimately, you can still play it. It is fit for purpose, in that it is a game and you can play it. Plus, you could argue they are constantly repairing the game for free, in the form of patches.

The correct analogy for the ridiculous bullshit going on here is "I have used my washing machine 63 times and for 4 of the washes it stopped and I had to restart it. But it still washed the clothes fine. They have since repaired my washing machine and it hasn't stopped since. But I want a refund anyway."

This doesn't reflect Kyoufu's experience in the refund thread, the guy crucified for refunding after 50 hours, who posted his ridiculous crash log and said that it worked mostly ok for 50 and THEN it became utterly unplayable.

You're talking about it still being playable. The refund you seem to be referencing says that it stopped being playable.

And that's absolutely fine. Enjoy finding schools of fish. Just don't say things like this:

Because it implies that there is someone out there trying to affirm something isn't in the game, when nobody has questioned whatever things you're discovering now.

I can't really speak to what r_thanatos meant, but it might be related to how many people in those other threads were raging against NMS because they didn't see any tall mountains or big dinosaurs or other procedurally generated things in their few hours of playtime. Given the randomness of what each player sees, it would be foolish to make definitive statements about what proc gen elements are in the game or not. As evidenced by that school of fish I only saw after 50 hours.

The game crashed for me on 33% of all warps. That's a broken product.

Though I've never been asked about the exact percentage of the defective issue when I've returned a product.

Only nitwit fanboy corporate ballwashers do that.

Polish hard, better make them extra shiny!

Hahs

It gets expensive.

For a game that some ppl is still asking "what do u do in this game" This was one the longest "quests" i did
Plus! People will say damn near anything to make a sell..
I couldn't agree more with people saying anything to make a sell - aside from that - acquiring a 48 slotted ship by doing salvage is definitely something to do...I'll try it though...just makes me love the game even more.

legacyzero

Banned
As someone who bought Fallout 4 digitally and is forever stuck with it, I know first hand that hours played doesn't equal hours enjoyed. Two hours isn't enough to evaluate the majority of games and that definitely needs to change. I do think asking for your money back after 50+ hours is ridiculous, though. As much as I ended up hating Fallout 4, it'd be a real dick move to ask for a refund after so much gameplay.

Yeah I thought Fallout 4 was a mess, and only moderately entertaining at times. Played it to completion though. That's all on me.

HeeHo

It might not have anything to do with the patch but yesterday was the first time I got to a planet with flying creatures that weren't birds. I know that has nothing to do with the patch but it was also a pretty dense planet with lots of different foliage and trees.

It was a nice looking, interesting planet but man with those flying centipede things everywhere, the frame-rate was taking a huge nosedive. I couldn't get off the planet fast enough. Before the patch though, I hadn't been on a planet that was so diverse in terms of what was actually on the planet. Maybe they messed around with the generation of 'biomes' but it could totally be unrelated. I had never been on such a laggy planet before that though.

Aenima

Do the letters and numbers beside the star type give a hint as to what you'll find there? For example an O2f star, does the 2 and f give any clues?

Thats a good question that i would also liked to know.

Edit: looks like the wiki page gives a better idea, even if i stll dont got a clue what i will ind out. :p

In the case of No Man's Sky - 50 hours in it is still playable.

In the case of the guy who got the refund, this is the exact opposite of what was happening. He spent an inordinate amount of time in his starter system and when he left, he began to experience constant crashes. He could not progress in the game. It fits the very textbook definition of a "Broken Product". Are you saying people should not get refunds for broken products?

NIce. Think I'm going to stay on that one for a while.

Is that planet nearer to its star by chance? Looks like a pretty intense planet.

I uploaded a video of my Cheat Engine script, the Oscillation Overthruster, which makes about a dozen changes to how ship propulsion works. Works really nicely with the LowFlight mod. Turns out you can power-slide in space...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5QsOImyyd0

Interesting work... can't say I'm really into most of those changes, but I would like power sliding in space, or at least giving the ships more of a feel of movement and turning in space. The ship combat feels better in atmosphere right now than it does in space.

Whb29

In the case of the guy who got the refund, this is the exact opposite of what was happening. He spent an inordinate amount of time in his starter system and when he left, he began to experience constant crashes. He could not progress in the game. It fits the very textbook definition of a "Broken Product". Are you saying people should not get refunds for broken products?

Not at all, I said 50 hours to represent a large number of hours, I wasn't referring to that particular person. Of course, if it truly is unplayable for someone then they should get a refund. I personally would file a bug report and wait if I had spent that long on a game and enjoyed it enough to spend that much time on it, but each to their own.

I have no doubt that the game is unplayable for some, and they should be entitled to a refund, what I don't agree with is this "I was hoping for a great game but it's just average", gimme my money back. And people claiming it is somehow a premium product. It costs the same as any other full price game. The whole indie thing is irrelevant.

Anyway, back to topic - today I saw a mega aggressive animal tear around killing other animals and then circling their bodies - never seen that before!

Aenima

It might not have anything to do with the patch but yesterday was the first time I got to a planet with flying creatures that weren't birds. I know that has nothing to do with the patch but it was also a pretty dense planet with lots of different foliage and trees.

It was a nice looking, interesting planet but man with those flying centipede things everywhere, the frame-rate was taking a huge nosedive. I couldn't get off the planet fast enough. Before the patch though, I hadn't been on a planet that was so diverse in terms of what was actually on the planet. Maybe they messed around with the generation of 'biomes' but it could totally be unrelated. I had never been on such a laggy planet before that though.

Did the planet had fog? Once, before the last patch, i landed in a cold planet with lots of trees and fog everywhere, it was the only time i notice frame drops on foot.

Raist

Banned
Woah that looks cool.

I know, right?

Put them air membranes on and went snorkling. Of course, first thing I find is some type of squid, which has tentacles coming out of what would otherwise look like eye sockets. Because why not.

Maybe I should leave this planet after all...

HeeHo

Did the planet had fog? Once, before the last patch, i landed in a cold planet with lots of trees and fog everywhere, it was the only time i notice frame drops on foot.

No, it was a kind of lush green planet but I do think it was a cold one according to my hazard suit. I just didn't notice any 'fog'. Although that sounds kind of cool on a cold planet.

krazykei

Well I was able to get a refund via PSN help chat even though I bought the game over 2 weeks ago and have more than 10hrs in the game. I'm kind if pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

The game crashed for me on 33% of all warps. That's a broken product.

Though I've never been asked about the exact percentage of the defective issue when I've returned a product.

Only nitwit fanboy corporate ballwashers do that.

Polish hard, better make them extra shiny!
I'm glad that the conversation around No Mans Sky has really matured. I guess I've been avoiding these threads for nothing

Well I was able to get a refund via PSN help chat even though I bought the game over 2 weeks ago and have more than 10hrs in the game. I'm kind if pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

Good for you, now maybe post this in the thread that was made for it? You'll probably get a lot of pats on the back over there.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, this is weird, a few days ago some things were stacking like those gravitino balls and vortex cubes. You'd get 100 a square. Same with the Carite Sheets and Microdensity fiber. Now suddenly they're back to not stacking. They did fix the scanner inverting weight and size... But my system only shows it installed 1.05 and 1.05 had the stacking and weight showing up as meters and height showing up as KG.

OK, this is weird, a few days ago some things were stacking like those gravitino balls and vortex cubes. You'd get 100 a square. Same with the Carite Sheets and Microdensity fiber. Now suddenly they're back to not stacking. They did fix the scanner inverting weight and size... But my system only shows it installed 1.05 and 1.05 had the stacking and weight showing up as meters and height showing up as KG.

The ones you get from deconstructing upgrades will be stackable. Ones you make or pick up are not, but can be stacked with the others manually.

Alebrije

PS4 VERSION

Does the new pach did something with animals or plant size? Becuase found a planet with big trees ant other with big dinosaures kind creatures

SomTervo

I'm an NMS fan but FYI for many people, especially on PC the game really barely works. Just like that washing machine.

Spyware

PS4 VERSION

Does the new pach did something with animals or plant size? Becuase found a planet with big trees ant other with big dinosaures kind creatures
I feel smaller after the patch. The grass feels taller, the aliens definitely look taller and some trees are just huge. It's like they shrunk the player model and I don't know if it's just my imagination. Probably is. :p

Alebrije

I feel smaller after the patch. The grass feels taller, the aliens definitely look taller and some trees are just huge. It's like they shrunk the player model and I don't know if it's just my imagination. Probably is. :p

Well is the first time I can walk under a "dinosaur" animal and between his legs .

It's taller than the standard animals and give the feels of a Trex

Spyware

Well is the first time I can walk under a "dinosaur" animal and between his legs .
Yeah I've found about 4-5 different ones I can walk under on the three planets I've visited since I switched to the experimental branch. That's more than before but it could just be a coincidence.

mokeyjoe

Yeah I've found about 4-5 different ones I can walk under on the three planets I've visited since I switched to the experimental branch. That's more than before but it could just be a coincidence.

Yeah, it's hard to tell sometimes whether it's something that's been added or tweaked or whether it's just something you haven't seen before. Found some panther things with really bright striped markings after the patch. Is that because they've changed the colour schemes or had I just not seen something like that before?

rIwMfuOh.jpg

I found a planet with actual mountain scale mountains on it the other night. It was pretty cool. The peak you see in the shot above isn't the top either, it's a false peak.

Raist

Banned
It's not the patch guys. They're fixing stuff, they're not going to fuck around with algorithms and break shit. I've seen stuff with the kind of features you're describing.

mokeyjoe

rIwMfuOh.jpg

I found a planet with actual mountain scale mountains on it the other night. It was pretty cool. The peak you see in the shot above isn't the top either, it's a false peak.

Yeah, I found some really high mountains, spent ages climbing to the top. But it was so high I couldn't really get a picture of the scale as I couldn't see the valley floor because of the mist. Could see the birds and spaceships flying around way below though.

They're not proper mountain scale though, that would take literally days to climb and you'd need proper sized planets otherwise you couldn't fit them on. But in game terms it was way higher than the little peaks in Skyrim or Far Cry, so I was pretty satisfied :)

magawolaz

PS4 VERSION

I noticed that sometimes after you exit your ship you get taller or shorter. Must be a bug.

I did find some giant-ass mushrooms tonight, but nothing like the Big Thing mod.

Like mountains that would take a significant amount of time to scale? I feel like I can walk to the top of most peaks in NMS in seconds. The mountain above took a few minutes at least

Yes, the mountins I found took quite a while to scale as well.

On a seperate note, I finally found a planet ( Moon actually)with rivers today in a blue system. That was actually quite surprising. Has anyone else found planets or moons with rivers?

Whb29

I'm an NMS fan but FYI for many people, especially on PC the game really barely works. Just like that washing machine.

As I've said several times - if it's unplayable get a refund. What I do not agree with is people getting several hours entertainment out of a product and then saying they want their money back. I feel sorry for the guy that got 50 hours in and couldn't continue, but actually it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he'd had to start again, would it?

People on here constantly complain about the generic shooters and lack of innovation in the industry. Hello Games have done something incredibly brave and ambitious, and deserve some credit. OK they haven't quite pulled it off. They could have rolled out Joe Danger 67 and watched the money roll in if that's all they cared about. But instead they took a risk. This group mentality of witch hunting and actually encouraging people to refund (when many of those people have confessed to either just not liking it or having a couple of annoying crashes) will ultimately lead to less risk taking.

If you booted the game up, it won't run and it's unusable, get a refund. Particularly on PC, this is not unusual, many games just don't work on some hardware. If you just don't like it, think that having to restore your last save every now and then after a crash or are jumping on the bandwagon because you're bored of the game - perhaps wait until your next pre-order is in the bargain bin before buying, eh?

This is not a white good, this is media, a form of art. Different rules do and should apply.

mokeyjoe

Like mountains that would take a significant amount of time to scale? I feel like I can walk to the top of most peaks in NMS in seconds. The mountain above took a few minutes at least

Yeah, the bigger mountains you sometimes don't realise are mountains, just feels like the whole world is on a slant, and you can't see the top from the bottom and vice versa.

Raist

Banned
Is that planet nearer to its star by chance? Looks like a pretty intense planet.

Hard to tell, it was a one planet system (G0 class).
It was bright as fuck though in space, so maybe. Dunno.

All species get, probably 95% of flora and rocks. My mission here is done.
Time to go, 18 quintillion planets need me.

Some screens, because colours.

Slay

Ok i need some help ASAP, how the hell i'm supposed to reach the center?

14086414_954324844678131_3830752335144871230_o.jpg

According to this, i should just follow the path and jump to the center, but that's impossible.

14125749_954324848011464_3385964795452784216_o.jpg

i tried to zoom in , but there are no more stars to use as stepping stones to move closer, what am i doing wrong here?

Whb29

Incidentally and more on topic - I have not had any crashes at all until my first one tonight on 1.07. I also expanded my exosuit by about 5 slots in that run, I wonder whether the crashes relate to the number of slots you have? I also had some frame drops for the first time. Hopefully the next couple of patches will tie up all the loose ends.

I didn't notice any bigger trees so maybe it's just chance?

Top Bottom