• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

RedNumberFive said:
Ok, I need some help here... I've looked through multiple pages of the forum, and I'm sure it's been answered, but hell, half the replies are in spoiler black.

Anyhow, after breezing through the rest of the game, I'm completely stuck on the 2nd form of the last boss. I have no problem until I get half way through and he starts spamming that teleport attack. At that point, even at full health, he generally knocks me out, and anytime I get up, he's pulling that bullshit again. I've been playing this shit for the last 3 hours, and unless I find a working strategy, it's off to YouTube for the ending. At this point, my rage requires I shelf the game before I throw a Wii Remote through the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Goddamn you pizza-man, goddamn you!!!

you still having trouble? I haven't been to this thread since I beat the game a few weeks ago so I just read your post now

sounds like you have the pattern down, just use the red sword (long/heavy beam). never finish your combo when hitting him, one hit or two and then back off, try to keep him in front of the windows rather than you. if you get killed, use the trick of reviving yourself when stumbling (shake the wiimote before you lay down and he'll resurrect with some life). I had to use that trick 2 or 3 times on his 2nd form, and wouldn't have gotten the last hit in without it. Know that it isn't just you, I think just about everyone in this thread had the same complaints/issues with this form

JEKKI

aww man so I beat this game over the weekend.

all I can think of is...

Fantastic20Max4.jpg

dankir

I actually beat the first NMH on Saturday after owning it for 2 years. I had bought the 2nd and said I would only play it if I beat the first.

Holy shit the 2nd one looks sooooooooooooooooo much better than the first it's ridiculous.

KevinCow

Banned
Ugh, I'm about done with this game. I liked the first, and this improves on the first in a lot of ways so it should, on paper, be better. But so many aspects of this one are completely broken and cheap. I put up with the first boss having a room full of unblockable or battery-eating hazards. I put up with the shitty controls in the motorcycle fight, and the ridiculously cheap fucking dragon attack in the fight immediately after that. I put up with Shinobu's horribly broken jumping. But I get to the rank 2 battle, and the bitch has an attack that can stun lock me from full health to death? Yeah, fuck that.

I'm probably just gonna watch the last few cutscenes on Youtube.

Yesssss, game arrived while I was away. Time to install this bitch to USB Loader and we're away! Taking the Wii back from Rabbids Go Home obsessed girlfriend! Its time to cut people up.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
KevinCow said:
Ugh, I'm about done with this game. I liked the first, and this improves on the first in a lot of ways so it should, on paper, be better. But so many aspects of this one are completely broken and cheap. I put up with the first boss having a room full of unblockable or battery-eating hazards. I put up with the shitty controls in the motorcycle fight, and the ridiculously cheap fucking dragon attack in the fight immediately after that. I put up with Shinobu's horribly broken jumping. But I get to the rank 2 battle, and the bitch has an attack that can stun lock me from full health to death? Yeah, fuck that.

Dude, she blatantly transmits that attack. Just roll forward until you're right on top of her, roll back to avoid her drop attack, and forward to wail on her until she relents. It's really easy to corner her and get her into a cycle until you finish her off.

KevinCow said:

Sounds like you just stink at the game. The only thing anyone can argue is broken is Shinobu's jumping, I had no problems though.

Seriously emergency evade is you friend.

G.O.O.

VistraNorrez said:
Sounds like you just stink at the game. The only thing anyone can argue is broken is Shinobu's jumping, I had no problems though.

Also be sure to punch the shit out of her, she hates that.

KevinCow

Banned
VistraNorrez said:

An attack that can stun lock your entire health bar isn't broken?

kinggroin

Banned
Dascu said:
Just keep lying still and let Travis get up on his own.

Hahaha, the ultimate evasive maneuver. Also, rolling does help (I was able to beat the shit outta Ryuji once I became defense oriented).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
KevinCow said:
An attack that can stun lock your entire health bar isn't broken?

The trick is just go punch and kick. She gets stunned REALLY easily. You can just stun her, body smal, stun her, body slam, etc. Shes easier when you don't try to use your light saber. If you want to stip her from tossing those sabers at her, run at her when you can and just do the shake Wii mote attack to knock her down before she tosses, then kick kick punch punch slam away

Threi

notag
KevinCow said:

If you think Alice is cheap you are gunna looooove the final boss :lol

anyways its not that hard. Even if you do get hit by her blade spam (which in all honesty is easy as hell to avoid) you can break it by taking the extra hit on the ground and let travis get up on his own.

Basically, if you can beat Shinobu and Mr. H on bitter in the first game, you should be able to beat every boss in this one. Although the game in general is harder because your block isn't instant anymore.

And that's a good thing. Rounds it out more as an action game, and not just a "mash the a button and swing the wiimote to win" mechanics (as fun as they were) of the first game.

Wizpig

kinggroin said:
Hahaha, the ultimate evasive maneuver.
That would be changing swords when you are getting attacked.
Travis is invincible all the frames when he's switching.

And I hope they fix that in the EUR version.

Also, did you guys know the game has an easter egg for those with a NMH 1 save on the Wii?

G.O.O.

Wizpig said:
Also, did you guys know the game has an easter egg for those with a NMH 1 save on the Wii?
The original costume ?

God, being against two katana dudes or more is hard on bitter. they keep beating the shit out of you, you can't even pull out a combo.

Swittcher

Banned
KevinCow said:

Just use the long beam red katana. You beat her in 5 seconds.

I thought everyone knew?

Chairhome

Wizpig said:
That would be changing swords when you are getting attacked.
Travis is invincible all the frames when he's switching.

And I hope they fix that in the EUR version.

The masks in your apartment? That's the only one I've heard about (and have seen, since I have a NMH1 save :-D)

tmarques

Ok, I'm having a lot of fun, but is it me or is this game far too easy for its own good? Not that the first game was hard, but I don't recall beating boss after boss on the first try. In fact, I'm getting the distinct impression that each boss is easier than the last.

Even the side missions are far easier than those in the original NMH.

I'm still #8 (halfway through?), so hopefully the difficulty will pick up. Please?

Whoa. I just found out the VA for Skelter Helter is the same guy that voiced Edge Maverick in Star Ocean: The Last Hope. How the hell is his performance so good here but horrible in SO4?

cosmicblizzard said:
Whoa. I just found out the VA for Skelter Helter is the same guy that voiced Edge Maverick in Star Ocean: The Last Hope. How the hell is his performance so good here but horrible in SO4?
The director, perhaps.

Just beat this game...and holy shit was it good. This is one of the best games I've played this gen.

The Good:

- In terms of being a "game" it's better in like every conceivable way from its predecessor.

- The hack-n-slash 3D genre that Zone of the Enders has previously owned now has a new king (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta are of a different sub-genre).

- This series continues to have like the best boss battles EVER.

The Bad:

- Being that this was a more huge production it felt much less how do I put this...artistic. The first definitely had its flaws but they were easily overshadowed due to the experience of the game. This one just doesn't click as well. I always use the original No More Heroes as a prime example of how games can be art, because it isn't a game that is fun and entertaining due to the "game" itself.

- The game was easy as shit on "mild". I know some may counter with "but there's still hardmode!" but that doesn't cut it IMO.

- Lacks soul compared to the predecessor

So yeah this game is amazing. I can't wait for No More Heroes 3.

EDIT - Been reading some of the complaints. Jesus Christ what the hell kind of expectations do you people have for games now a days? Also shit some of you guys need to step your game up during boss fights.

I don't mean to be a dick and I know this will be quoted but damn.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just beat the game earlier tonight. WTF at that ending!
Or lack of an ending, that is. It felt so unresolved... I NEED an NMH3 now. >_<

I see above that people had trouble with the last boss's second form, which surprises me. I kicked his ass :lol I thought the entire last boss was too easy, though it was fun to beat.

Seriously, none of the bosses in this game were nearly as hard as Bad Girl in NMH1. I played both games on the easy difficulty. Bad Girl was fucking AWFUL and the only boss that came even close in NMH2 was Alice with her "knock you down as soon as you get back up" bullshit.

Was the Shinobu segment of this game some interns "MY FIRST CONSOLE GAME DESIGN" project or something? I drop down from the walkway to pick up some treasure chests and there is only one route back up to the top of the fucking warehouse roofs? Never mind the worst jumping mechanics and height design of the platforming I've endured in quite some time. This game is bizarre. It seems so unfinished and like it needed another 3-4 months in the stew.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SecretBonusPoint said:
Was the Shinobu segment of this game some interns "MY FIRST CONSOLE GAME DESIGN" project or something? I drop down from the walkway to pick up some treasure chests and there is only one route back up to the top of the fucking warehouse roofs? Never mind the worst jumping mechanics and height design of the platforming I've endured in quite some time. This game is bizarre. It seems so unfinished and like it needed another 3-4 months in the stew.

It's symbolic of the idea that there is only one way to get to the top in life, and it involves some very difficult leaps on your part.

Suda is always trying to tell you something, as long as your ears are open to listen.

SecretBonusPoint said:
I drop down from the walkway to pick up some treasure chests and there is only one route back up to the top of the fucking warehouse roofs?

There is more than one to get back on the roof, depending on which side you fall on.

gogojira

I should wrap this game up Friday night, but really digging it so far. I haven't read many impressions from fear of spoilers, but I'd imagine Shinobu's shitty platforming (just saw this a few posts up) comes into question and the tankercycle has to be a complaint.

Chairhome

Flying_Phoenix said:
EDIT - Been reading some of the complaints. Jesus Christ what the hell kind of expectations do you people have for games now a days? Also shit some of you guys need to step your game up during boss fights.

I don't mean to be a dick and I know this will be quoted but damn.
I agree. I don't know how some people had so many problems with bosses and other sections. I used Peony for most of the game and had no problems, other than dying every once in a while.

G.O.O. said:
Who said the peony was a good idea for Batt Jr so that I can murder his family ?

Do the wiimote shake slash from halfway across the room and keep running back. If you do it right, he'll never have a chance to use his
teleporting
. The
teleport punch at the end is another story
but you should have a full tiger bar by then (it's only been a few weeks and I've already forgotten the name of that)

Boney

Banned
Finished it last night. Great game, but I was pretty pissed about a lot of things.
Didn't like the assassins as much as the first one, although I take it was a deliberate choice.
The pace fell odd.
Missed the overworld. As someone mentioned, you could allocate every boss fight when you were driving around and could tell where I was going.
Only 4 swords!? And Naomi sells 2 of them at the very begining of the game. I kept going there with the hope of getting something new at least.
And the cliffhanger at the end just felt wrong. In the first one you got a cliffhanger as well, but could easily end there the whole saga, the game even teased about it.

It probably would've been a much better game according to the design document, more integrated revenge missions would've elevated the game much higher.

It still is a fine game though. Glad I bought it at launch.

I beat the game yesterday and I gotta say I had as much fun with this one as I did the first. All the stuff that I said that I missed from the first game like the open world and the telephone calls are shit that now when I think about don't really affect the experience as much as I thought. I felt more in tune with Travis this time around. I had that this is bullshit attitude when I started to play but once I got into it more it enhanced the experience more for me. My only real issue was that you couldn't use just the WiiMote for the 8-bit games. Because what's weird is that in 1 you had to in order to play Pure White Giant Glastonbury you had to use the WiiMote NES Style. If they would've done this I might have been a little more immersed in the 8-bit games and it would've made the Strength Exercises a fucking piece of cake. I'm gonna save my Bitter Run for a low backlog queue and I wanna play around with those codes so I can play as Henry in Death Match mode.

And for everybody who's having issues with bosses just follow these easy steps.

1. Slash
2. Dodge
3. Repeat Steps 1 & 2 until death of (Insert Boss Name Here).
4. MUHFUCKIN PROFIT!!!!

I'd give it an 8.5-9. Part 3 for 2012!!!!

G.O.O.

That'll teach me to use less famous Killer 7 quotes :(

Serious, I'd like to be able to pull that kind of work by myself. I was already an admirer of those who discussed the first NMH when I was lurking, it helped me a lot (I even made a chart to analyze each boss).

heringer

About two hours in (just kiled the boss in the haunted house in the forest). It's cool, clearly more refined, but the first one had a bigger impact on me, which is to be expected I guess.

The 8 bit minigames kicks ass, and the more streamlined map is very welcome. On the other hand, the bosses so far aren't so fleshed out in comparison to the first game.

Chairhome said:
I agree. I don't know how some people had so many problems with bosses and other sections. I used Peony for most of the game and had no problems, other than dying every once in a while.

I didn't have the peony until the end, and even then I only used it for like 2 minutes before putting it away (it was very boring to use so I went back to dual wield).

Also while Shinobu's "platforming" segments weren't great I wouldn't say they were segment killer. I mean it's not even platforming most of the time it's just simply jumping up
with the exception of the boss arena.

And the bosses in this game are easy as shit. No one is as hard as most of the bosses in the first No More Heroes, not even the final boss (well at least in comparing mild modes).

Top Bottom