• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

TehSw1tch

Banned
Chairhome said:
Does this site have any affiliation to the old Gamefan mags? His screenshots for the review are pictures taken of his TV while playing the game. Obviously a high-class operation.

Holy shit :lol

How hard would it have been to just google some screenshots?

Now I'm starting to think this is a joke review.

Milabrega

Wizpig said:
Now tell me at least ONE reason why this game will not bomb sales-wise?

The only chance it has to not bomb in Euro-Land, is if it has this boxart:

10nuv68.jpg

Chairhome

There shouldn't be a problem with that? If you're going to print out that box art, you should just get a regular DVD case and use that so it'll be black.

TehSw1tch

Banned
Chairhome said:
There shouldn't be a problem with that? If you're going to print out that box art, you should just get a regular DVD case and use that so it'll be black.

No sorry, my last post was confusing.

Let me rephrase.

There is something really strange and otherwise cheap about the box my game shipped in, since I'm in Canada, it might be a problem with where it was printed.

I don't want to say what it is just yet, but if anyone has the same oddity as me, I'll gladly divulge.

So yeah, take the art insert out of your box, and look all over the front cover for any irregularity.

Roto13

TehSw1tch said:
No sorry, my last post was confusing.

Let me rephrase.

There is something really strange and otherwise cheap about the box my game shipped in, since I'm in Canada, it might be a problem with where it was printed.

I don't want to say what it is just yet, but if anyone has the same oddity as me, I'll gladly divulge.

So yeah, take the art insert out of your box, and look all over the front cover for any irregularity.
I noticed the box was kind of weird, too. If feels flimsy and it closes strange. I opened it up and compared it to my Nights case (the only other Wii game case I have here) and it was different inside.

I'm also Canadian. Vancouver represent.

TehSw1tch

Banned
Roto13 said:
I noticed the box was kind of weird, too. If feels flimsy and it closes strange. I opened it up and compared it to my Nights case (the only other Wii game case I have here) and it was different inside.

I'm also Canadian. Vancouver represent.

I think that might just be the new wii packaging.

There is something Ubisoft-related, wrong with my box.

I'll take pics when I get home.

Chairhome said:
Does this site have any affiliation to the old Gamefan mags? His screenshots for the review are pictures taken of his TV while playing the game. Obviously a high-class operation.

That site has no actual connection with the original Gamefan. They just used the name for their site, but there is no connection what so ever.

This is the real Gamefan coming back.

Although Halverson and maybe one other person are the only members of the old school one who will be back.

Wizpig

@ TehSw1tch: I'll check later, but what I can tell you for sure is that the whole packaging is shit.
That instruction book? no words to describe it. 5 pages, black and white?

It's like I bought a digitally-distributed game over Steam, the package is so terrible it's basically not there.

Chairhome

Clarifying his statment last year that a NMH sequel wouldn't be on the Wii, Suda told Game Informer that he wants it on Nintendo's next console.
joystiq said:
"If there is a chance to continue No More Heroes, I am interested in making NMH3," Suda said. "I personally think that NMH is a game for Wii, so I would be very happy if I could make a game for the Wii's successor, whenever that might be."
Also, joystiq reports that the EEDAR reports it sold less than 30k in january. But it was only out for a week in january, so it didn't tank. I'd post links, but I'm on my phone.

Hiltz

Milabrega said:

10nuv68.jpg

Man, that fan made box art is freaking sweet with those colors and the black box. Grasshopper Manufacture needs to higher better artists to design the box art for its games!

Tenbatsu

I bought all stuff from the clothing shop and got only 98% completion for the costumes, weird. Missing one pair of casual shoes thou due to bug. Got the no jacket too. What am I missing?

Roto13

Ha, that "diehard gamefan" (lolworthy site name) reviewer actually insists that there's just as much grinding in NMH 2 as there was in NMH 1. Dude's a fucking moron. :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Well, I just got my Wii in today, and I played through all the way through the end on sweet, an endeavor lasting about 10 hours (I wanted certain sets of clothing, so I grinded the meat cooking minigame and eeked by getting what I wanted). I played on Sweet because it was imperative that the bosses not be so difficult or frustrating for me not to see possible interpretations of the game and mechanics. I'm writing a paper on the subject over the weekend for Monday in concerns of No More Heroes and globalism, likely with ties to postmodernism.

While I have my gripes with the game (the number one of these being the lack of more enjoyable ways of making money), most of them (though ironically, not my #1 problem) can be explained within the context of the game and globalism reading. After I hand the paper in, I'll post it after a couple of days in a google document here, see what the academics among us have to say.

As a final tidbit, I find it fascinating that many of the "new blood" assassins used beam katana type weapons. They were incredibly rare among assassins in the first game, Henry being the only one I can think of...

P.S.
I don't think this game can be given the same kind of Freudian analysis as the first, though Lacan and Jung might work. Who's really big on revenge, I forget?

G.O.O.

doomed1 said:
As a final tidbit, I find it fascinating that many of the "new blood" assassins used beam katana type weapons. They were incredibly rare among assassins in the first game, Henry being the only one I can think of...
Death Metal, Harvey and Dark Star. Sort of.

Amalthea

Banned
Milabrega said:

10nuv68.jpg

Yeah, it's not usual to steal ideas from a fan mock-up but Rising Star should take this design for the PAL-version. It's just too good!

Tenbatsu

Finished the game on Mild, 19hrs +. Costumes: 98% Collectibles: 93%. The rank 1 fight was fun.

Started new game+ on Bitter and my casual default shoe is still not there WTF!!! Its gone forever!

hellclerk

G.O.O. said:
Death Metal, Harvey and Dark Star. Sort of.
I wouldn't count Harvey, and you never fight Dark Star, though I suppose you're right on Death Metal. Then again, He could count as old blood. I just find it interesting the newfound popularity of the weapon after Travis's victory.

G.O.O.

doomed1 said:
I wouldn't count Harvey, and you never fight Dark Star, though I suppose you're right on Death Metal. Then again, He could count as old blood. I just find it interesting the newfound popularity of the weapon after Travis's victory.
I think Harvey's collector card mentions that his weapons are beam katanas shaped like wands. Might be wrong, though.

And I'm realizing that Dark Star's weapon is in NMH2 :eek:

Otherwise, 4 NMH2 bosses are equipped with BK's, and I can find reasons to that for at least 3 of them.

Wizpig

Oh yeah I wanted to ask this; I play on an EUR Wii, so I can't really see the little icon/animation for NMH2 in the Disc Channel, because that channel doesn't read the game.
You know, before you launch the game, when you click on Disc Channel.

Anyone knows where I can find that? I'm curious.

Dascu

G.O.O. said:
I think Harvey's collector card mentions that his weapons are beam katanas shaped like wands. Might be wrong, though.

And I'm realizing that Dark Star's weapon is in NMH2 :eek:

Otherwise, 4 NMH2 bosses are equipped with BK's, and I can find reasons to that for at least 3 of them.
Kimmy, Ryuji and Alice. Who am I missing? Do we count Skelter Helter?

I'm debating either picking this or Dante's Inferno up today. Yeah, I know DI isn't that great but i loved the demo. This has better reviews, though, and I loved the first. The only thing is I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for this right now and I'm worried it will be 20 bucks two weeks from now like the first one.

G.O.O.

GillianSeed79 said:
I'm debating either picking this or Dante's Inferno up today. Yeah, I know DI isn't that great but i loved the demo. This has better reviews, though, and I loved the first. The only thing is I'm not sure if I'm in the mood for this right now and I'm worried it will be 20 bucks two weeks from now like the first one.
The question you should ask yourself isn't "which one will be cheap two weeks from now" because DI will also disappoint, so the answer is "both".

It is "do I want a Dante's Inferno 2 more than a No More Heroes 3".

hellclerk

GillianSeed79 said:
If you purchase Dante's Inferno new, I will hate you forever, and this had absolutely nothing to do with No More Heroes 2. As a literary academic, I cannot forgive the existence of Dante's Inferno as the game they made out of it.

Perhaps I never noticed until recently but Travis' wrestling move that has him lift the person from the legs and toss them is magnificent. I clapped as it the best(well one) display of strength of Mr. Touchdown in-game.

Also the unlockable move quite is applause worthy(with the Rose Nasty) for usefulness and entertaining to watch in action.

need help on ending explanation, please:

so the whole booth telephone conversations thing, that takes place after the game? where does that fit into the timeline exactly?

Gryphter said:

so the whole booth telephone conversations thing, that takes place after the game? where does that fit into the timeline exactly?

*shrugs shoulders*

My guess? Travis cared after it was all done and wanted to know about those he killed and she knew ALOT about them. Makes more sense that its after considering the end which leads into some NMH3 nods of sorts.

Roto13

Gryphter said:

Yeah, after the game. And before the Baby Jeane thing at the end of NMH 1, I guess. :p

botticus

Gryphter said:

Yes, it takes place after the game since the game is basically Sylvia's retelling of the events.

Vinnk

GillianSeed79 said:

If this game really did get as limited a print run as it seems, it may never hit that $20 price point. It could become a collectors item. Some stores already so out of the very few copies they had. If Ubi decided not to print another run of this game, the value could actually go up rather than down. Price only drops when a retailer has too many copies and cannot get rid of them. Right now, not enough copies are out there to need to clear. Hard to tell.

Poyunch

In the future I hope GHM tries to improve the overworld from NMH instead of just making a map but still keep the map feature for those who just want to warp to their preferred location.

hellclerk

PounchEnvy said:
In the future I hope GHM tries to improve the overworld from NMH instead of just making a map but still keep the map feature for those who just want to warp to their preferred location.
Though it is kind of interesting. In NMH1 you started out in a free-roaming city to enter into 3D menu rooms while in Desperate Struggle you're in free-roaming rooms accessed by a 3D menu city.

Poyunch

doomed1 said:
Though it is kind of interesting. In NMH1 you started out in a free-roaming city to enter into 3D menu rooms while in Desperate Struggle you're in free-roaming rooms accessed by a 3D menu city.
Another thing NMH2 decided to the opposite of its predecessor.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
What's the frame-rate like with this game? The first one was all over the shop.
Sadly I don't really mind or notice framerate issues (unless it's a fighter/racer) so I couldn't really answer. I think it chugs a little. I do remember framerate issues in one loading screen and I was thinking "Oh you know that's bad when there's framerate issues on a loading screen... :lol"

That only happened once and when looking at gameplay vids it's always in the same point in the game.

Wizpig

I finished the game.

Regarding the worst boss in the game...

That boss in the
MGS level is the worst of both games.
Cloe Walsh or something... killed her in 2 minutes and forgot about her after 3.
Million Gunman was not that bad!
Chairhome said:
Here are some interesting links. The original translated script for the game, then the official translated script after the publisher made some changes.
password is: shoryuken

Interesting cause it has a little of what has been cut-out, due to publisher involvement.
Can't open them after the download :(

SaintZ

I had to restart the game on sweet 'cause
Matt Helms
was giving me a hard time on mild. I'm lame, alright.

So, right now I'm ranked 5th.
It's kind of lame how you didn't get to fight some other assassins as Henry. I thought it was cool to play as him in his only fight.
I don't think Cloe Walsh was that awful. She freaked me out a little, I dunno. Now, Dr. Shake was kind of crappy.

I may be one of the few, but I liked Shinobu's levels. I didn't mind the platforming at all and I liked how you could make combos in the air. I found it fun. I also liked the battle against
Million Gunman.

I also made Jeane skinny again. I prefered her chubby though, she looked adorable with the extra weight and for some reason, I found her mini games amusing.

I'll try to finish the game tomorrow because I'm dying to read all the spoilers and the full script!

Poyunch

SaintZ said:
I had to restart the game on sweet 'cause
Matt Helms
was giving me a hard time on mild. I'm lame, alright.

So, right now I'm ranked 5th.
It's kind of lame how you didn't get to fight some other assassins as Henry. I thought it was cool to play as him in his only fight.
I don't think Cloe Walsh was that awful. She freaked me out a little, I dunno. Now, Dr. Shake was kind of crappy.

I may be one of the few, but I liked Shinobu's levels. I didn't mind the platforming at all and I liked how you could make combos in the air. I found it fun. I also liked the battle against
Million Gunman.

I also made Jeane skinny again. I prefered her chubby though, she looked adorable with the extra weight and for some reason, I found her mini games amusing.

I'll try to finish the game tomorrow because I'm dying to read all the spoilers and the full script!
Looking back I also hate
Cloe
. She was a big wtf? But not a good one.
Also while it's fun to play as Henry the fact that his combo is so short made me miss him less. I did feel a bit ripped off that I couldn't play more levels as him but it wasn't a big loss.

Top Bottom