• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm wondering if I should consider the red version. If I walk into my local ATT store and they have the red, I may be tempted to cancel the cyan (provided my order hasn't shipped). I may jump on that especially if they have the charging pads available and would give me one with the red phone.
im in the same boat.

pick up red tomorrow or wait for cyan. :(

How is the app environment compared to Android/iOS?

Is the store garbage? I know there aren't as many apps yet since it hasn't become super successful, but ... how does it feel?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My wife has the cyan and its frickin drop dead gorgeous. The matte feel is just superb. At the same time, the reviews on the gloss versions have been pretty positive, so I don't know if I would mind.

At this point, I don't think I'm getting the charging pad since I'm not doing an upgrade, so if the store offers me one with the purchase of the red, that may sway me.

edit: snakes, you can browse the store here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

Troll

Banned
How is the app environment compared to Android/iOS?

Is the store garbage? I know there aren't as many apps yet since it hasn't become super successful, but ... how does it feel?

Check the link Van posted, what are you coming from? Also, do you have anything like an iPad?

Bah. No movement on my order from ATT's website and their customer service telephone lines are worthless. I can't decide whether I should cancel my preorder and try my luck tomorrow morning. But no Cyan. :( Damn I'm so impatient.

Bullza2o

This is like my 5th time calling/chatting with AT&T reps. The most recent one told me to refuse my package and reorder a new one so I can get a free charger. WTF

venne

I hope that inventory checker is woefully off.

There is one store within 15 miles with a white 920 and it's in 'limited supply'.

PG2G

Thanks for the info to my last question. Anyone use an app similar to nike+ on windows phone? (Run tracking with GPS and history)

The existing apps don't work in the background because WP7 didn't support it. I'll be jumping on the first one to add WP8 support. My favorite right now is Endomondo. Haven't tried Runtastic yet though.

Bullza2o

Yeahhh! I called Premier support and FINALLY a very kind girl placed the wireless charger order for me. She kept giggling throughout the conversation, which made me question the professionalism of Premier Reps, but because of her help she was certainly better than the 5-6 people I talked to before.

Troll

Banned
Yeahhh! I called Premier support and FINALLY a very kind girl placed the wireless charger order for me. She kept giggling throughout the conversation, which made me question the professionalism of Premier Reps, but because of her help she was certainly better than the 5-6 people I talked to before.

That's good news. It sucks that it took seven people but I'd say it was worth it.

UraMallas

I've had better luck with my phone number as well. My package was scanned in for the night in Memphis TN at 6:00pm CST. They better book it here for them to get it to my door in Des Moines by 3:00pm tomorrow. Overnight shipping I paid for better come through.

Bullza2o

That's good news. It sucks that it took seven people but I'd say it was worth it.

Now hopefully she wasn't just all giggles and didn't lie. She told me within a few hours I should see the charger order, and email when it ships. I suggest you guys calling 866-499-8008 for Premier support.

Aaargh. I was totally sold on this but now I see ATT doesn't have a matte gray for pre-order omg wtf blargh.

Do I have to pre-order to get the $99 price and the charger? (Meaning: Should I hold out, or just spring for matte black tonight?)

Troll

Banned
Aaargh. I was totally sold on this but now I see ATT doesn't have a matte gray for pre-order omg wtf blargh.

Do I have to pre-order to get the $99 price and the charger? (Meaning: Should I hold out, or just spring for matte black tonight?)

ATT hasn't even announced plans to carry the allusive grey handset. You're better off with the color you like second best imo.

TKR92

Now hopefully she wasn't just all giggles and didn't lie. She told me within a few hours I should see the charger order, and email when it ships. I suggest you guys calling 866-499-8008 for Premier support.

I had the same experience with premier reps. Eventually I canceled a couple of orders and made a third one. We will see how fast my order go through. SMH.

hwalker84

Grey doesn't exist at the moment and maybe ever.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The existing apps don't work in the background because WP7 didn't support it. I'll be jumping on the first one to add WP8 support. My favorite right now is Endomondo. Haven't tried Runtastic yet though.

Nike + is in the app store now, isn't it?

I called for my premier order and yeah it hasn't shipped. Stores near me only have black so it seems like ill be waiting til Tuesday assuming it ships tomorrow.

MisterNoisy

Argh. Four months until I can get a prorated-discount upgrade to the 920. I love my 900, but I want my dual-core 6.5 oz. goodness now. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So what's my best plan to get a non-black version here in Canada that is unlocked?

That works with Canada's lte bands?

A. Buy an unlocked att version from a 3rd party dealer
B. pray Rogers releases multiple colors

cube444

That works with Canada's lte bands?

A. Buy an unlocked att version from a 3rd party dealer
B. pray Rogers releases multiple colors

Yes, I plan on using it with Bell on LTE.

Any examples of third party dealers? I wonder how long Rogers has the 920 as an exclusive.

Commodore

Damn, my cyan 920 is still stuck in pending shipping hell. I ordered around midnight, as soon as that thing was available, but at least the rep I talked to a bit ago was able to confirm I was getting the charging pad with my order. Can't wait for this thing to get here.

tralfazz

My Cyan finally displayed shipped by USPS! It finally showed up on that order status link that was posted, not through my account order page.

I originally didn't choose overnight because when I used to order new phones from ATT, they always were there the next day. When I called tech support I asked them to upgrade to overnight. They said they'd make a note but couldn't change it and I was too scared to cancel and reorder.

I'm not sure if it will be here tomorrow, but at least it should be by Saturday since it is Post Office. Hope so. Supposed to go to the ATT store this weekend and get one for my gf and move her over to my plan. Dying to get it after being an iPhone guy the last 4 years. I have an iPad which helps the app sitch.

I ordered from the regular site at about 2:30est on Wednesday morning. No idea about the charging plate. Was looking at getting one of the 3-position plates from Energizer.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Would those be locked though? Would they also come with an AT&T logo on them?

Thanks for the links.

They're unlocked, but branded, unfortunately. I don't think Nokia makes an unbranded version w/o NAM LTE bands (aside from Rogers version)

Commodore

My Cyan finally displayed shipped by USPS! It finally showed up on that order status link that was posted, not through my account order page.

I originally didn't choose overnight because when I used to order new phones from ATT, they always were there the next day. When I called tech support I asked them to upgrade to overnight. They said they'd make a note but couldn't change it and I was too scared to cancel and reorder.

I'm not sure if it will be here tomorrow, but at least it should be by Saturday since it is Post Office. Hope so. Supposed to go to the ATT store this weekend and get one for my gf and move her over to my plan. Dying to get it after being an iPhone guy the last 4 years. I have an iPad which helps the app sitch.

I ordered from the regular site at about 2:30est on Wednesday morning. No idea about the charging plate. Was looking at getting one of the 3-position plates from Energizer.

Just checked again. SHIPPED! They came through, it actually did ship on the 8th, about killed me wondering about it all day.

UraMallas

The site hasn't worked great for everybody, supposedly. Some people are saying it didn't update until the day they got it. Not really helpful but I don't think all hope is lost.

Dead

well not really...yet
Probably the best review of the 920 so far:

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/16129_Nokia_Lumia_920_review.php

Weight:
However, numbers do not tell the whole story. It's more illuminating to ask why is the Lumia 920 noticeably heavier than its competitors? After all it's not as if Nokia deliberately put lead weights somewhere in the device, just to make it heavier.

the biggest factor is the way in which the device has been put together. Internally, and unusually for a unibody design, the Lumia 920 has a double frame design (full circuit board frame, and separate metal frame), and the screen assembly effectively acts as a third frame. While this internal design architecture, together with a number of related factors around materials tolerance and component positioning, adds extra weight, it also gives the Lumia 920 exceptional mechanical strength and durability, endowing it with a greater ability to endure drops, bumps, and other shocks (and means you're less likely to need a full protective case, with the added size and weight that this entails).

Camera:
For still images, shot in low light, the Lumia 920 is a long way ahead. Similarly in video capture, regardless of conditions, the Lumia 920 is clearly superior.

For still images, shot in well lit conditions, the gap is much narrower, if it exists at all.
Indeed, our experience suggests the winner in any comparison will vary from shot to shot, with personal preference around colour saturation and similar subjective characteristics, likely having a major impact on results. This is not surprising because, as we noted earlier, all of the leading devices have similar basic specifications, and it is in well lit conditions that optical image stabilisation has least impact.

Definitely check the link to read the full article. Spanks every other review Ive read.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent review. I think I'm going to just have suck it up and live with having a black device again and get the 920 with Rogers. There is just too much upside (and backside if you know what I'm saying) to the 920.

Top Bottom