• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Commodore

Probably the best review of the 920 so far:

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/16129_Nokia_Lumia_920_review.php

Weight:

Camera:

Definitely check the link to read the full article. Spanks every other review Ive read.

Thought this was an interesting tidbit that I hadn't considered before.

Unfortunately, despite the trio of microphones, video capture on the Lumia 920 only records a mono audio track, albeit one of high quality. However, the microphones are present, so it is theoretically possible for Nokia to add stereo audio to video recording in a software update.

Your phone is already outdated, guys.

China Mobile posted a picture on Weibo of their upcoming device, along with some specifications that will supposedly be included in their local Lumia 920T iteration.

Where the standard Lumia 920 comes with just a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960, the Lumia 920T will bump that to a MSM8960T, which for all intents and purposes is the same dual-core chipset except it has an Adreno 320 GPU in it rather than an Adreno 225. The Adreno 320 in this Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset is around 2-3 times faster compared to the Adreno 225, so it really is a large performance boost.

Does the Window store have quality replacement apps for these:

Shazam
Adobe reader
Exchange Rates
Handcent SMS
QuickPic
Mobo Player
Poweramp
Qibla Compass (for muslims to figure out direction to pray)

I might jump on board if so.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just saw a titan 2 vs 920 video comparison. The camera just isn't getting proper attention from reviewers. It is a generational leap ahead of the current crop of cameras in terms of video and low light pictures.

If this was the camera on the iPhone 5, I can only imagine the types of superlatives we'd have to suffer through.

thirty

Banned
agreed about the camera, lowlight, video and audio are a generation ahead of what's out there. o think if more and more videos like the Italian Halo 4 vids are released, more and more people will be impressed.

thirty

Banned
Does the Window store have quality replacement apps for these:

Shazam
Adobe reader
Exchange Rates
Handcent SMS
QuickPic
Mobo Player
Poweramp
Qibla Compass (for muslims to figure out direction to pray)

I might jump on board if so.
I know it has shazam, Bing music search which is faster, adobe reader, Skype, exchange rate, don't know about others. search www.windowsphone.com

Lucifon

Seeing everyone speak about the Lumia is making me want one. I'm due an upgrade in 2 months, currently on an iPhone 4. Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone, but the thought of upgrading to a 5 doesn't feel as 'exciting' as a full new ecosystem.

The thing that's pushing me away is knowing I'll be stuck with the device for 2 years. iOS as a platform feels much more like a 'safe bet' than WP8. After what happened with 7 it doesn't fill me with hope.

kazinova

Nah, that's just Nokia trying too hard.

This "trying too hard" thing is only a tech journalist thing. I don't remember Car&Driver or MotorTrend saying something like:

"Magnetorheological fluid in the suspension to control the ride through corners? Looks like Cadillac is trying too hard again. What's wrong with the perfectly balanced live axle setup? Independant rear suspension is a gimmick."

It's definitely the most underrated feature imo.

iuhLyIPt0QtVy.gif

Apple approved

Milchjon

This "trying too hard" thing is only a tech journalist thing. I don't remember Car&Driver or MotorTrend saying something like:

"Magnetorheological fluid in the suspension to control the ride through corners? Looks like Cadillac is trying too hard again. What's wrong with the perfectly balanced live axle setup? Independant rear suspension is a gimmick."

I wish this Volvo ran on a Volkswagen engine.

tralfazz

Being able to use gloves is actually a huge deal in the coming winter when it'll be freezing.

A-freaking-men. I got so frustrated the last couple of years when I had to take my gloves off while running to do something with the iphone. This along with the night camera were huge selling points for me.

pissed that I can't find in any stores around here. I went to pre-order on best buy and the guy seemed so fucking clueless. Hope they are around more after this weekend

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
pissed that I can't find in any stores around here. I went to pre-order on best buy and the guy seemed so fucking clueless. Hope they are around more after this weekend

Tell me about it. Probably called around 5-10 ATT stores and only 2-3 of them was gonna have it, with only 1 having different colors other than black and white.

UraMallas

My cyan is out for delivery from the Des Moines location. I wonder if I have to be here to pick it up because I've got errands to run but I definitely don't want to miss it.

Question, does WP8 have visual voicemail or is that a service I have to get through AT&T?

jaypah

2 days later and our order still says processing. I want my sunflower colored boom-box sized cellular phoooooone! :'(

TwIsTeD

I really wanted the Yellow or White but after playing with white I went black, the gloss is kinda horrible IMO....grey would be ideal but I'll buy a cover

TylerD

My cyan is out for delivery from the Des Moines location. I wonder if I have to be here to pick it up because I've got errands to run but I definitely don't want to miss it.

Question, does WP8 have visual voicemail or is that a service I have to get through AT&T?

Leave a signed dated note with the tracking number and they should leave it if they deem it safe.

The red one would look so amazing in matte.

Yeah if red was matte I would probably go for it over cyan.

kharma45

Pretty positive Lumia 820 review from Pocket-Lint, gave it 4.5/5

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6054/nokia-lumia-820-wp8-review
Nokia seemed to have been so focused on packing the Nokia Lumia 920 with as much tech as it could, that for us it forgot about what people might actually want from a phone.

Here, with the Lumia 820, that's not the case. The micro SD card slot gives you plenty of storage for movies, photos, and music, while the removable battery gets you over any power issues you might have.

Add that to a great core operating system and a design that stands out on its own and you start to feel this is the phone Nokia should be putting all its efforts into promoting.

Agreed it isn’t the flagship and agreed the camera isn't nearly anywhere as good as on the 920, but this is a phone you'll be happy to use, a phone you'll enjoy using, and besides a lack of third-party apps at the moment, a phone that for many people will be a fantastic phone they will enjoy for the next two years.

If you are tempted by Windows Phone 8, this is the phone for you.

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop...%E9%AB%CC%86%1A%A0u%C4%98o%C9%9B%CA%E1%04%CFq

Ohhh so close to being able to order the phone!

However I am now tempted to wait for the 920T ;_;

Is this properly SIM free?!?! :eek:

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is this properly SIM free?!?! :eek:

It is SIM free however not unlocked so you will still have to be on T-Mobile/Orange/EE :(

Tempted to get it next week. As my EE contract runs out in February and cannot upgrade until the end of next month!

kharma45

It is SIM free however not unlocked so you will still have to be on T-Mobile/Orange/EE :(

Tempted to get it next week. As my EE contract runs out in February and cannot upgrade until the end of next month!

Ah that's a bummer, I was hoping since it was listed there it'd be a proper SIM free phone not that 'EE variant' that Neowin reported a few weeks back :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace

is that allowed? Thought there was some European regulation that required SIM free to be unlocked?

McSmiggins

Neo Member
Got my 920 a couple of hours ago, loving it so far. just wanted to say to stop other people freaking out, I upgraded T-Mobile -> EE at phones4u this afternoon, I put the sim card in mine before it had registered with EE and on the phone setup part it kept starting up, asking for time info and then rebooting. Popped the sim card and it set up fine and has been since. I'm sure it's probably just my phone though, it's just sitting on my desk waiting for the sim to register... really want to see what 4G in London can do.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like this part in the review posted earlier:

Existing Lumia device owners will be pleased to note that Nokia has updated the oleophobic coating on the Lumia 920's screen; it's now smoother and less prone to fingerprints than the first generation Lumia devices, and the smoother surface improves the interaction experience with the Windows Phone UI, where swipes and other gestures are widely used.

Top Bottom