• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Currently at Att. Red is beautiful! Also weight is a not that big of an issue.

Thinking about red or white if the one ATT doesn't have yellow/cyan.

Went to the ATT store this morning..

ended up with a white Lumia 920..

It looked a lot nicer than I expected.

It feels better in the hand than my 900 did.. loving the device so far.

I got it for $350 w/ early upgrade.. I know some people have managed to get it for the 2 yr contract price over the phone, but I wasn't planning on leaving ATT, so starting my 2 yr contract over doesn't bother me..

They didn't have the charging plates, but the guy I was working with knew about the promotion and they took down my information and will contact me when they have them so that I can come get one.

Man, my local ATT store was packed! I cancelled my order for the cyan 920 and went in and got a red one. They'll be mailing me the charging plate in 5 to 7 business days!

Oh god it's so gorgeous!

TwIsTeD

so heres my 1 hour impression...phone is slick as hell and I really am liking the small tiles...first app problem is Spotify.... doesn't support Windows Phone 8 due to the resolution (wont scale up or create bars it seems)

Signed up for 1 month of Xbox Music to replace it before my trip tonight and so far soo good.

I dont regret the matte black, its a different finish then the black of the 900, the phone feels great, it weighs more but its not as bad as its been hyped up.

Milchjon

Man, my local ATT store was packed! I cancelled my order for the cyan 920 and went in and got a red one. They'll be mailing me the charging plate in 5 to 7 business days!

Oh god it's so gorgeous!

Photophotophotophoto!

And did the people at the store show any interest in the 920?

MegalonJJ

Banned
is that allowed? Thought there was some European regulation that required SIM free to be unlocked?

Okay, we need someone to verify this.

According to Phones4U's website, there's no indication that it's locked to Orange/T-M/EE.

Just says SIM free...one brave soul ought to purchase it and test it on either O2 or Vodafone etc.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay, we need someone to verify this.

According to Phones4U's website, there's no indication that it's locked to Orange/T-M/EE.

Just says SIM free...one brave soul ought to purchase it and test it on either O2 or Vodafone etc.

I will be buying it either tomorrow or Monday if Phones4U will let me (have it in their store) and will report back.

dpatel304

Going to pick up my Lumia later today. I'm assuming this phone won't be too hard to find.

I actually got myself a HTC Surround (just to test out Win phone) in March. Loved it, but thought I'd give Android a try, so got myself the Galaxy S3 earlier this week. It's a fantastic phone and it definitely has it's advantages, but I think Windows Phone has converted me. Since I just bought the S3, I'm still able to exchange it, which is what I'm going to do. Just hope I can find that phone in the color I want it.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome! Much appreciated man.

Also, which network are you on/will you be testing it on?

I am on Orange, but I have a Giff Gaff SIM and a 3 SIM I shall be testing. Almost tempted to go out right now and get it.. but I am still not sure if I want to blow the £460..

kharma45

I am on Orange, but I have a Giff Gaff SIM and a 3 SIM I shall be testing. Almost tempted to go out right now and get it.. but I am still not sure if I want to blow the £460..

I wonder would they even let you try it in the shop to see.

Milchjon

I'm still baffled by the pocket-lint 820 review.

The things it has over the 920:

-25g lighter (without the charging cover, I assume)
-swappable battery
-swappable back covers
-SD card slot.
-$50 less on contract

So these things are supposed to make it 30 percentage points better (90% vs 60% if you adjust their scale to percent), with a quarter of the storage, screen and camera not even being in the same vicinity, the battery being a lot worse according to their own reviews, the design being an ugly piece of crap compared to the 920...

I read it as an admission of the irrationality of these reviews.

Edit: A review is supposed to be a buyers guide. Unless you really, really care about weight, no one should promote the 820 over the 920 to anyone at the current price.

UraMallas

All these people getting their phones delivered is driving me crazy. I'm checking my front door every 20 minutes and I have a sign on it for the Fed Ex guy. just in case. GET HERE LUMIA.

Raistlin

Crap ... my Cyan isn't hitting until Monday (along with one of the charge pads ... the other is still processing ... weird).

So for the people that have theirs ... POST SOME MORE PICS DAMMIT :D

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bah I shall have to head down tomorrow they will be closed by the time I get there! Does the app store have Jetpack Joyride yet? Totally addicted to playing it on Windows 8..

hwalker84

Just wondering, did you get 2 packages?

No just one. God the thing is so fast. The buttons are also more pronounced as the camera button sticks out a lot farther than the 900. I don't look at it like a bad thing as it shows the button has some travel now.

Amory

Any word on when the 7.8 update is gonna be put out? I want my Lumia 900 to at least look like it's one of those newfangled WP8 phones :p

Vestal

WOW.. The build quality on this phone shits ALL over my old Samsung Focus..

So far loving it, the OS runs smooth, the screen is gorgeous as well.. Nokia Apps are top notch as well.. Still need to fiddle around with the camera though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Red sold out everywhere. Had to order it. Hopefully 3-5 business days :(

After playing around with it in the store though, I settled on Red. The gloss finish is beautiful, and the red design went well with so many tile themes (white background was hot too). The Matte finish is really nice too, but the red just won me over.

As for the phone itself, playing around with it, the build quality is phenomenal, the screen is a beauty too and very resistant to thumbprints compared to my current phone.

jaypah

WOW.. The build quality on this phone shits ALL over my old Samsung Focus..

So far loving it, the OS runs smooth, the screen is gorgeous as well.. Nokia Apps are top notch as well.. Still need to fiddle around with the camera though.

Good to hear as that's what we're upgrading from. We could have had ours today if we didn't opt for the kitchen-yellow version. Ah well, 920 and WiiU next week. We'll be in hardware heaven!

TwIsTeD

for a brand new phone at $99 (on contract of course) this is king...fantastic build from Nokia and WP8 feels fresh and fast again

Photophotophotophoto!

And did the people at the store show any interest in the 920?
I'll upload a photo when I get home. Unfortunately I have nothing to take a picture of it with right now haha

And the employees were pretty interested in it. Especially the charging plate. I had two employees express interest in it. They were mostly wondering how fast it charged the phone compared to plugging it in.

cevansdust

Neo Member
Trying to decide between this and the Nexus 4, but I need confirmation on battery life for both. It's really bothersome that tech sites are getting mixed results for the Nexus 4 and even worse they don't seem to be performing the same battery tests for phones or fail to mention any concrete numbers.

Milchjon

Trying to decide between this and the Nexus 4, but I need confirmation on battery life for both. It's really bothersome that tech sites are getting mixed results for the Nexus 4 and even worse they don't seem to be performing the same battery tests for phones or fail to mention any concrete numbers.

Most reviews were pretty positive on the battery.

And that's with LTE ;-)

Top Bottom