• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Totakeke

So I assume there's no internet sharing on the AT&T models. But it sounds like those given out at Build has the internet sharing enabled. If you install a Spanish keyboard it'll download an internet sharing enabling update.

Krakatoa

my lumia on AT&T has internet sharing.

Let me check and see if it actually works. I will report back

Update**

So I turned on internet sharing it and it told me to call 611 to enable it. I guess I don't have internet tethering on my account.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Phone is up and running and everything is as good as advertised. Camera is fucking amazing and the display is simply gorgeous. Confession: the phone is heavier than I thought it would be; however, it's not a dealbreaker--that said, I will be investing in a Bluetooth headset. There is simply no way I'm holding this mammoth to my ear for an extended period of time...especially when driving.

Nokia Music is so goddamn amazing that it simply shits on what other providers offer. Completely free + no sign up? It's a ridiculous value.

Fun fact: Gamestop gave me $172.00 trade in value for my iPhone 4 32gb. I was quite surprised to get that much. Wii U is now paid for entirely. :)

Raistlin

So I assume there's no internet sharing on the AT&T models. But it sounds like those given out at Build has the internet sharing enabled. If you install a Spanish keyboard it'll download an internet sharing enabling update.
AT&T has it ... but you have to have the right data plan for it.

Troll

Banned
That was in the early batches so I'm worried that might have since changed. Is there a way that I can find out for sure?

Are they only selling black colours?

Black only right now I think... As far as the status of it being unlocked they exactly the same as the ones given out at BUILD, so I'm not sure why that would change so soon.

Bullza2o

Wow AT&T sucks. I have the $15 data plan, but they removed it during activation of my 920. I called and they had to create a case, with the decision happening on 11/20. I'm stuck with pay-per-use (meaning I'll avoid using data) until then :(

I'm upset about this.

Klocker

Wow AT&T sucks. I have the $15 data plan, but they removed it during activation of my 920. I called and they had to create a case, with the decision happening on 11/20. I'm stuck with pay-per-use (meaning I'll avoid using data) until then :(

I'm upset about this.

do you have a local store

whenver I had simliar issues I just go in and find a nice person ans ask if they cou;d please help

Bullza2o

do you have a local store

whenver I had simliar issues I just go in and find a nice person ans ask if they cou;d please help

I think grandfathered plans are a different set of issues though, so I'll believe them just this once. He gave me a reference number for my case so it seems legit.

Thankfully my university has WiFi throughout the whole campus.

SeanR1221

So, night one with the Lumia.

Full disclosure. I've been an Apple man pretty much my whole life. Some of Apples recent decisions, plus getting a little stale on things, made me switch over. I sold my MacBook Air and got a Lenovo Yoga and now upgraded an iPhone 4 for a Lumia 920.

This. Thing. Is. Awesome.

First, the build quality is awesome. It feels like a tank. But the weight? Totally being blown out of proportion. I'll admit the iPhone 5 is extremely light, so my guess is reviewers were in shock going from that to this.

I loaded up my favorite apps and customized my home screen.

wpss201211090001.png

wpss201211090002.png

wpss201211100001.png

Went out to Philly for the night for cheese steaks. On the way there, my one friend took a picture with his iPhone 4S

photo1zoa.jpg

I decided to take one myself

wp20121109006.jpg

I think the images speak for themselves.

Steaks were great

wp20121109008.jpg

I had no problem checking into places, updating my Facebook, quickly snapping photos and keeping up with Kik messenger.

Overall I am VERY happy right now. I love how all my calendar events and contacts quickly synced to my Yoga. Skydrive with photos is cool too, although I seem to be getting three different albums...mobile uploads, snapshot pictures and saved pictures.

One annoyance so far

Facebook app isn't displaying notifications unless I click on the globe icon, but the ME tile updates quickly

Also, a few apps from WP7 are missing, such as Spotify. Although I'm tempted to move onto Xbox Music until Spotify gets their shit together. Xbox Music doesn't have as much of a selection, but interacts better on the phone, in Windows RT and on my Xbox.

SeanR1221

Hah thanks. My avatar is from the video that came with the original Xbox live. The kid was crying because he just got destroyed in Mech Assault.

Sarye

something I'm confused about that I'm hoping someone can clarify...

nokia maps doesn't send the directions to nokia drive?

however if you search the address elsewhere it is just maps, not nokia maps. You can then navigate to Nokia Drive from there.

Using Nokia Drive, there is no list option to see the route. Only nokia maps portion has the directions in a list.

Seems a little unintuitive and confusing to me.

hwalker84

something I'm confused about that I'm hoping someone can clarify...

nokia maps doesn't send the directions to nokia drive?

however if you search the address elsewhere it is just maps, not nokia maps. You can then navigate to Nokia Drive from there.

Using Nokia Drive, there is no list option to see the route. Only nokia maps portion has the directions in a list.

Seems a little unintuitive and confusing to me.
Yes the weird thing is that they hid Bing Maps but its still around. Nokia Drive definitely needs the ability to see multiple routes and choose.

You can definitely send driving directions to Nokia Drive from either map program.

dLMN8R

gah! I placed my order on Wednesday and it still hasn't even shipped from AT&T. Support doesn't even know when it's going to ship :-(

PG2G

I'm upset about this.

Same thing happened to me, my data and messenging plans fell off my account. I convinced the guy to give me the 300 meg data plan as a hold over though (for free).

I'm having an issue setting up visual voicemail with AT&T.

It used to prompt me to put in the voicemail password, but I didn't know it so I ignored setting it up. Now I am ready to set it up and it doesn't prompt me to enter the password!

Any idea how I can fix this?

You probably need to go on their website and reset your password. Or best thing to do is call their support in case it's the same problem I have when I switch to Lumia 900 they have to completely set up my voicemail.

Wurst

Argh, I'm so gutted that you can't get a cyan 920 in Germany!

Also: You can't get a 920 in the whole city... every shop is out of stock. Online retailers didn't even get their shipments yet (including amazon). I'm not even sure people got their hands on any yellow/red ones.

What a weird launch. Still want this phone so bad.

Also: You can't get a 920 in the whole city... every shop is out of stock. Online retailers didn't even get their shipments yet (including amazon). I'm not even sure people got their hands on any yellow/red ones.

Demand exceed supply! or the phones are so heavy, the shipping take longer. I am just thinking they didn't expect anyone to show up for them on launch day. My At&t didn't even have the demo unit set up when I was there, granted I was there at the store open but you would think they would have all the promo stuff set up.

The launch date I think as they report was probably very last minute thing.

Milchjon

Yeah, I went through a mall yesterday, with a Vodafone, Mobilcom and Media Markt store. All 3 had the 920, but with zero fanfare, only in black, and pretty badly set up. Only the Media Markt one had internet connection, and there wasn't any video on the others, so it wasn't really easy to check the screen quality.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also, a few apps from WP7 are missing, such as Spotify. Although I'm tempted to move onto Xbox Music until Spotify gets their shit together. Xbox Music doesn't have as much of a selection, but interacts better on the phone, in Windows RT and on my Xbox.

Have you checked out Nokia Music? My wife loves it.

Totakeke

WP always seem to relatively much more European fans compared to the other platforms interestingly enough. It's reception is probably much worse in Asia.

Oh yeah, can anyone test if the touchscreen on the 920 works better than other smartphones when the screen is wet? Like droplets of water on it and with your finger slightly wet. Normal smartphones tend to spazz out in those conditions.

Rad-

The only way to get a 920 here is to pay almost 800€ for it, lol.

What the hell. Which country? Here in Finland it's 599€. Kind of crazy cheap when the same memory iPhone 5 is 799€.

Or well, "crazy cheap" is not the right word. iPhone 5 is just horribly overpriced.

derFeef

What the hell. Which country? Here in Finland it's 599€. Kind of crazy cheap when the same memory iPhone 5 is 799€.

Or well, "crazy cheap" is not the right word. iPhone 5 is just horribly overpriced.

I am checking the "available now" shops. The "coming soon (next year?)" ones are indeed 600€.

tralfazz

My USPS order is out for delivery today!! Heehaw! Was bummed it didn't show up yesterday. Was even more bummed when I woke up this morning and checked the site and it displayed a date of the 13th.

Sarye

Yes the weird thing is that they hid Bing Maps but its still around. Nokia Drive definitely needs the ability to see multiple routes and choose.

You can definitely send driving directions to Nokia Drive from either map program.

nm I found out how. Still weird that bing maps is still there. It makes navigation a little weird cause if I use any other part of the OS, the maps come out as bing maps instead of nokia maps. the interface is different enough that it can be a little jarring. (navigate with drive on the bottom for bing maps as opposed to on the top for nokia maps... no speech to text in nokia maps) I know this is minor, but it would be nice if it was a bit more streamlined.

One last thing, there's no direction checking on nokia drive. Like a list to see where Drive is taking you. Most of the time I check the directions to make sure it's not taking to some weird place. Am I missing something again?

kazinova

Anyone with a an AT&T 920 got visual voicemail working? Do I need to add that to the plan or something? I still have my original iPhone 3g unlimited plan, had visual voicemail on that phone...

Anyone with a an AT&T 920 got visual voicemail working? Do I need to add that to the plan or something? I still have my original iPhone 3g unlimited plan, had visual voicemail on that phone...
I had it on my 900 but there is no option on 920 not sure if it supports. I am going to check with Att in the morning.

Did you get updated to a LTE data plan? You need to be on an LTE data plan to get visual voicemail on the 920.

Dial in to your voicemail and exit out. When I did that, my phone setup visual voicemail for me and it's working fine.

kazinova

I had it on my 900 but there is no option on 920 not sure if it supports. I am going to check with Att in the morning.

I got it working, just open the phone app and swipe to the voicemail side, you'll need to put your 10-digit phone number is as the voicemail number and the pin you use to check as the password. Now I just need to get someone to leave a message to test it out.

Robobandit said:
Did you get updated to a LTE data plan? You need to be on an LTE data plan to get visual voicemail on the 920.

Apparently my old unlimited plan is an LTE plan, because I'm getting LTE now and the visual voicemail is free on Windows Phones with LTE plans? Doesn't make any sense to me, but it works so I'll take it!

Are you able to use Messenger? That's all that's not working for me.

It's bigger than it looks here – a lot bigger

With its new Lumia 920, Nokia has gone for ‘biggest and best’, with one zinging USP. This is a hefty but impressive flagship, and undoubtedly Nokia’s strongest all-round product in several years. In short, the Lumia 920 is a very strong contender for your money, once you can accept the device’s formidable size and mass.

Oh lord...

Top Bottom