• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Maybe I had different expectations but the battery isn't that great. I've been using it on and off for 6 hours and I'm down to 25% battery.

Ugh, I really hope yours has an issue or something. I hate the battery on my Lumia 800 and that sounds just as bad. I can just about live with charging every day (still seems shit compared to my old feature phones) but I can't be dealing with having to find a way to charge it half way through the day.

UraMallas

nJYy1.jpg

You like?

Man, I'm really struggling between Cyan or Yellow. I keep flip flopping back and forth argh. Does anyone have a link where I could see both side by side in hi res?

Just ordered yellow. A few questions, Since I purchased it off contract will I still get a free wireless charging block? When will the pandora/dropbox apps be coming to Windows Phone? Those are about the only apps I use

Milchjon

I like, because:

Hnnghh white or not white or not. I said to myself to switch color.

Screw this post for reminding me of the fact that the proportions of the 800 are still superior. Especially how it shows more plastic at the bottom. Looks better.

SeanR1221

Ok so it took about 2.5 hours to go from dead to 100%. Lets see how long it lasts now. I really really hope its not a defective battery. I want it to last at least as long as my iPhone 4.

Maybe Kik is draining the battery??

EDIT - Just using it on and off the past 10 minutes it's already down 2%. Really??

Raistlin

Just ordered yellow. A few questions, Since I purchased it off contract will I still get a free wireless charging block? When will the pandora/dropbox apps be coming to Windows Phone? Those are about the only apps I use
There are 3rd party apps for both already (I like Radio Controlled for Pandora), though MS announced Pandora is coming directly ... and it's ad-free for a year IIRC.

That said, you may want to give SkyDrive (the app and built-in integration) a shot en lieu of Dropbox. It works really well in this ecosystem.

How is Bing/Nokia maps compared to google maps?

I think they are better for navigation purposes. Google might have an edge with the remoteness of places on the planet (i.e. detailed maps of Antarctica), but Nokia excels in what matters for navigation and routing in the populated parts of the world.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The AAWP review said that the 920 has a oleophobic layer to reduce smudging from greasy hands. WPCentrals review said it does not??

I've had that off from the start.

it must have been better optimized for ios then. Down to 95% and its only been unplugged for like 20 minutes. This fucking sucks.

I would let the battery drain until it shuts the phone off. Sometimes the calibration is off and even though it tells you that you have 10% left, it might actually be a lot more than that. See how long it lasts without charging it, let it die, then charge it fully. It may take a couple of cycles of doing that to recalibrate completely.

derder

I'm considering making the switch from Android to WP8.

I use Google Calendar (personal and work), Discogs Scanner, Dropbox, Facebook, Flixter, Foursquare, GameBoid, Gmail (personal and work) IMDb, Instagram, Mint.com, Navigation,RSS, Gmaps, SongPop, Soundhound, and Spotify; all on a daily basis.

What would I lose and gain in the transition?

Yeah something is wrong. I've been using mine all day (8am to now 5pm) to surf the net and stream music in my car via Bluetooth and I am at 87%.

I use Google Calendar (personal and work), Discogs Scanner, Dropbox, Facebook, Flixter, Foursquare, GameBoid, Gmail (personal and work) IMDb, Instagram, Mint.com, Navigation,RSS, Gmaps, SongPop, Soundhound, and Spotify; all on a daily basis.

I'm not familiar with a couple of those, but most have WP8 versions or equivalents. Instagram and Mint do not, however. Depending on how you use Instagram, you may not miss it if you just use the built-in camera app and upload to facebook/twitter functionality. Mint doesn't have an equivalent, other than the website. If that's a big deal to you, then you may not be interested.

The nice thing about many of those apps are the live tile support and the "deep linking" which lets you pin a part of an app to your start screen so you start in that part of the app instead of the app's home screen (i.e. Flixster lets you pin a theater to your start so it always takes you directly to that theater's showtimes).

You'll also gain the Nokia apps which are fantastic, (especially Drive), and a way better OS in general for doing certain things more quickly and easily. If these things are stuff you would do often, then it would be a good fit for you.

SeanR1221

Yeah something is wrong. I've been using mine all day (8am to now 5pm) to surf the net and stream music in my car via Bluetooth and I am at 87%.

yeah something is definitely off. At 90% now and I've barely touched it. I'll let it cycle to no battery a couple more times.

edit- 86% now and I literally didn't touch the phone. 4 kik messesges came through.

Magni

I'm not familiar with a couple of those, but most have WP8 versions or equivalents. Instagram and Mint do not, however. Depending on how you use Instagram, you may not miss it if you just use the built-in camera app and upload to facebook/twitter functionality. Mint doesn't have an equivalent, other than the website. If that's a big deal to you, then you may not be interested.

The nice thing about many of those apps are the live tile support and the "deep linking" which lets you pin a part of an app to your start screen so you start in that part of the app instead of the app's home screen (i.e. Flixster lets you pin a theater to your start so it always takes you directly to that theater's showtimes).

You'll also gain the Nokia apps which are fantastic, (especially Drive), and a way better OS in general for doing certain things more quickly and easily. If these things are stuff you would do often, then it would be a good fit for you.

Mint is coming to Windows Phone, so Instagram is the only big one missing though.

kharma45

Your calender will sync fine, there is unofficial Dropbox apps atm but with them developing a W8 one one for WP8 I hope shouldn't be too far off. Facebook is covered (the built-in functionality in the OS is actually much nicer).

Flixter is here, Foursquare is (although 4th and Mayor is better), Gmail will sync fine, no real GameBoy emulator support, IMDb is there, no Instagram (although if you're only looking for the filters you're covered) Mint has an app on the way, Navigation you'll have Nokia Drive if you go for a Lumia, RSS there are a few different apps (I use Nextgen Reader), Gmaps is there but you'll have Nokia Maps built-in, no SongPop, Soundhound is there although Bing Music is built-in to the phone and does the same job, and Spotify is on the way too. No idea why they don't allow their WP7 app to be used on WP8 though, an odd decision. You might find Xbox Music to be a semi-decent replacement in the mean time.

If you're curious about other apps check out the store here http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just want to say that Bing Music sucks shit. It gets like 1/10 of the songs that Soundhound identifies with no problems.

yeah something is definitely off. At 90% now and I've barely touched it. I'll let it cycle to no battery a couple more times.

edit- 86% now and I literally didn't touch the phone. 4 kik messesges came through.
that sucks. If it doesn't fix itself in the next few days by cycling the battery I'd definitely exchange it.

kharma45

I just want to say that Bing Music sucks shit. It gets like 1/10 of the songs that Soundhound identifies with no problems.

Just tried it with the top 10 songs in the UK on Spotify, it got every single one for me. One of them took around 10 seconds to recognise but the rest were all sub five seconds.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just tried it with the top 10 songs in the UK on Spotify, it got every single one for me. One of them took around 10 seconds to recognise but the rest were all sub five seconds.

Lucky you. Then again I tend to use it in clubs, so maybe Bing Music craps out in super loud locales. Soundhound works fine most of the time, tho.

kharma45

Lucky you. Then again I tend to use it in clubs, so maybe Bing Music craps out in super loud locales. Soundhound works fine most of the time, tho.

That could be why then, I've never actually tried using it out and about bar a few times and it's worked well enough for me.

Liberty4all

Banned
Question guys. I'm 2 years 3 months into my contract... Still 9 months to go. (3 year contracts in Canada)

I called rogers and they offered to waive all early upgrade fees so I would only have to pay the 100 dollar hardware upgrade fee (what off contract folks pay). A nearby store will give me 250 for my iphone 4 32gig. Should I do it? My wife would be going with me (same deal).

My iphone 4 still isn't really all that bad although the small screen bothers me. But I am thinking this may be the best time to get maximum resale on it.

The other issue is the lack of instagram... Worried I may miss IOS more than I realize. The camera though on the Nokia looks sick and win 8 seems like a really fresh new exciting OS. Also I would be making the jump from 3g to LTE with my 6 gig legacy plan intact.

Commodore

Google Calender: Good to go
Discogs Scanner: No luck
Dropbox: third party alts for this, honestly worth trying out SkyDrive though
Facebook: Windows Phone's OS integration is best in class for facebook. Plus there's an official app too.
Flixster: Good to go, the Flixster app is pretty good too
Foursquare: Official and good third party alternatives that are apparently better (4th and Mayor)
GameBoid: there's GBC Emulator. I'd imagine a few more GameBoy emulators
GMail: GMail works great.
IMDb: You're covered, my go to movie app.
Instagram: No official app, tons of copies that do the same thing. Fhotoroom, Apict, Filterlab. Do you care more about the filters or the social network?
Mint: Official app coming, but I am in a beta for a third party app finally called Money Thyme. Works decent so far, so there's at least one app there in the meantime soon.
Navigation: Nokia Drive is pretty competitive with Google Maps, plus offline support
SongPop: No option here.
SoundHound: Lots of options. Bing Music is integrated. Soundhound and Shazam too.

SeanR1221

Lol what am I doing with this WP battery test? I push start and it says not to back out.

went to att to get a car charger. Rep said it would be no problem to exchange if the problem continues.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Does anyone know what the best Stopwatch is for the 800? I'm surprised there wasn't one out of the box already installed like previous Nokia handsets.

(One with no ads and free).

BIGWORM

So my coworker showed me his Lumia 920 he got yesterday. Phone is a bit heftier than I expected, but it's oh so nice. It's body is aesthetically pleasing to the point I was a bit jealous, and I have a GS3. haha.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cool, cheers man. Will have a look.

I asked this before, but never got a response so I'll ask again, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the size of the time, day & date on the lock/wallpaper screen on the 800?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my coworker showed me his Lumia 920 he got yesterday. Phone is a bit heftier than I expected, but it's oh so nice. It's body is aesthetically pleasing to the point I was a bit jealous, and I have a GS3. haha.

Yeah, if I had a GS3 I'd most definitely be jealous of the 920.

Tekniqs

not due for an upgrade...will have to buy this out of contract. Held it earlier at the AT&T store...the hell was people complaining about? It's freaking light still.

Anyhoo, I'ma be out of the country in about a month..where can i get an unlocked version? I hear Rogers up north is offering unlocked phones. Is there a place where I can buy an unlock code?

Wish it was like my SGSII...unlocked that thing with an app from Play Store haha

Top Bottom