• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

How is everyone liking their battery life? I took it off the charger around 1230 today and was at 22% by 10pm. I've been using it nonstop since I just got it so tomorrow might be more of a real use test.

also, does anyone have any good weather live tile apps to recommend? Not really a fan of the Weather Channel one and Microsoft's weather app doesn't seem to have live tiles.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How is everyone liking their battery life? I took it off the charger around 1230 today and was at 22% by 10pm. I've been using it nonstop since I just got it so tomorrow might be more of a real use test.

also, does anyone have any good weather live tile apps to recommend? Not really a fan of the Weather Channel one and Microsoft's weather app doesn't seem to have live tiles.

Amazing Weather and Weather Live have nice Live Tiles.

Dead

well not really...yet
My Red Lumia and Charger were backordered this morning, but moved to "qty ordered" tonight. Hopefully a good sign for getting it this week!!!

tralfazz

Freaking love this phone! Such a modern feel compared to my iphone of the last 4 years.

Still trying to figure things out but there are a lot of nice touches in the OS. Loved how easy the transfer of contacts from the iphone was. Really digging Nokia Music.

Curious about the People app. It lists every contact. Is there a way to segregate my actual important contacts like work or close friends from my FB flotsam?

Totakeke

Freaking love this phone! Such a modern feel compared to my iphone of the last 4 years.

Still trying to figure things out but there are a lot of nice touches in the OS. Loved how easy the transfer of contacts from the iphone was. Really digging Nokia Music.

Curious about the People app. It lists every contact. Is there a way to segregate my actual important contacts like work or close friends from my FB flotsam?

You can filter contacts. You can also create groups to put people in.

hwalker84

Settings > People > Filter My Contact List

uncheck all the crap like Facebook, twitter, linkedin. Also its good to make groups.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

There should be a setting to filter your Facebook contacts under setting->people.

Edit: very beaten

Loving the cyan, but I do miss the glory of the white 900 + Nokia blue/cobalt theme. Feel like the cyan theme is all I can really use.

Also, predictive text is so amazing.

Dead

well not really...yet
One of the reasons I went with the res was it really seemed like any tile color theme went well with it.

To those who upgraded from a WP7 phone to WP8 do all the games work? and do they run any better?
I know stuff like fruit ninja were pretty stuttery.

also I was reading the white aper about this pureview screen or whatever it's called, apparently there should be less blurring when scrolling than other phones... slowly scrolling text my omnia 7 produces clear ghosting, and even my wife's iPhone 4s will blur when scrolling text.
Are things any better on the Lumia 920?

derder

Google Calender: Good to go
Discogs Scanner: No luck
Dropbox: third party alts for this, honestly worth trying out SkyDrive though
Facebook: Windows Phone's OS integration is best in class for facebook. Plus there's an official app too.
Flixster: Good to go, the Flixster app is pretty good too
Foursquare: Official and good third party alternatives that are apparently better (4th and Mayor)
GameBoid: there's GBC Emulator. I'd imagine a few more GameBoy emulators
GMail: GMail works great.
IMDb: You're covered, my go to movie app.
Instagram: No official app, tons of copies that do the same thing. Fhotoroom, Apict, Filterlab. Do you care more about the filters or the social network?
Mint: Official app coming, but I am in a beta for a third party app finally called Money Thyme. Works decent so far, so there's at least one app there in the meantime soon.
Navigation: Nokia Drive is pretty competitive with Google Maps, plus offline support
SongPop: No option here.
SoundHound: Lots of options. Bing Music is integrated. Soundhound and Shazam too.
I use instagram for the community not the filters. I guess I'll wait on picking up the lumia 920.

Liberty4all

Banned
One worry of mine... Kobo is my ebook storefront choice and I have lots of books I expect bought with them. I don't see a Kobo reader in the windows store, nor did Google find me any mention of it planned for the future.

Also as I understand it apps I buy on a windows phone have to be rebought on Surface? That was a downer.

Aside from those quibbles and lack of instagram i think I may still take the plunge. I guess I can reluctantly switch to kindle and skydive photos from my phone to ipad.

NeOak

To those who upgraded from a WP7 phone to WP8 do all the games work? and do they run any better?
I know stuff like fruit ninja were pretty stuttery.

also I was reading the white aper about this pureview screen or whatever it's called, apparently there should be less blurring when scrolling than other phones... slowly scrolling text my omnia 7 produces clear ghosting, and even my wife's iPhone 4s will blur when scrolling text.
Are things any better on the Lumia 920?

Games are a hit or miss due to a lot not being available for WP8. You just can't download them.

As for the screen, yes, its way better for scrolling.

Has anyone been using the Dolby sound settings? How is it?
I have, it sound great. I know it is a fake surround but it really expand the sound. As I said earlier, the Lumia 920 is awesome music player. Even with shitty headphone I used when I am at work it still sound good.

usctrojan

So excited to get mine on Monday.

Also love that white on contrast theme picture earlier in the thread. Wow, that looks hot; I hope it doesn't limit live tiles and other colored tiles like suggested by others.

xJavonta

Banned
Anyone know how much a Lumia 810 is out of contract? Gonna get T-Mobile's prepaid plan for $30 but this isn't available on it.

Milchjon

I've associated my Facebook and LinkedIn accounts, but I have no idea how to create an address book (was using IOS devices for the past 4 years).

It's all in the People Hub, to the left of your social feeds. Everyone from Facebook shows up by default, and you can add all the other info there. If you brought over your old contacts, it will usually link their info to the info from Facebook automatically. But you can also link it manually.

Rad-

Had a short experience with my co-workers 920. God damn that might very well be the nicest phone I have held in my hands. I'm starting to think my old phone will get in an accident so I get a new 920 for free from my work...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was thinking that Nokia should make a special clock app for the kickstand charger so the phone displays the hour and the alarms in a more fashionable way while charging. The alarm clock I keep by my bedside is crapping out and I could use the wireless dock as one...

9h7mb.png

Liberty4all

Banned
I was thinking that Nokia should make a special clock app for the kickstand charger so the phone displays the hour and the alarms in a more fashionable way while charging. The alarm clock I keep by my bedside is crapping out and I could use the wireless dock as one...

9h7mb.png

I was looking at that stand too if i end up with a 920 but wonder if in my groggy morning state I'd smash the phone off that stand ... Anything holding the phone in place?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was looking at that stand too if i end up with a 920 but wonder if in my groggy morning state I'd smash the phone off that stand ... Anything holding the phone in place?

There is a small indentation in the bottom plate.

Besides, I don't think you could smash that beast with just one hand.

SeanR1221

hate you guys. Took it off the charger at 5:50pm yesterday and the battery was critically low by 9:50 with on and off usage.

hate you guys. Took it off the charger at 5:50pm yesterday and the battery was critically low by 9:50 with on and off usage.

I am thinking something is really wrong with you Lumia. I have mine on since 8:00pm and it's now 3:00 am, the battery is at about 70%. I have been using it for listening to podcast, downloading couple apps and browsing websites (gaf and wpcentral). It said remaining battery for me is 15 hours.

Either you have something running in the background that draining your battery or battery is defective. I did notice something today that Nokia Drive (beta) was somehow still running in the background even when I am not using the app so I reboot the phone. It does that annoying beep at me while I was driving to work telling me I was going over speed limit that how I knew it was running. I had it open earlier when I woke up to download some of the map.

SeanR1221

I am thinking something is really wrong with you Lumia. I have mine on since 8:00pm and it's now 3:00 am, the battery is at about 70%. I have been using it for listening to podcast, downloading couple apps and browsing websites (gaf and wpcentral). It said remaining battery for me is 15 hours.

Either you have something running in the background that draining your battery or battery is defective. I did notice something today that Nokia Drive (beta) was somehow still running in the background even when I am not using the app so I reboot the phone. It does that annoying beep at me while I was driving to work telling me I was going over speed limit that how I knew it was running. I had it open earlier when I woke up to download some of the map.

The beep!! I posted about that in the WP thread. While driving and listening to Nokia music it kept beeping at me. Wait is that the little circle next to my battery??? Maybe something is running.

I went into Nokia Drive and turned location services off. Lets see if things improve. If it was running, how was it getting started without even being opened from the last reboot?

The beep!! I posted about that in the WP thread. While driving and listening to Nokia music it kept beeping at me. Wait is that the little circle next to my battery??? Maybe something is running.

I went into Nokia Drive and turned location services off. Lets see if things improve. If it was running, how was it getting started without even being opened from the last reboot?

Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry (if you can't tell I am usually at work when I browse GAF). I rebooted the phone AFTER I heard the beep (the same beep you get when you use Nokia Drive and your car goes over speed limit) I knew exactly what the beep was so I promptly restart my phone to make sure the app is closed. This never happen with my 900, I haven't really use the app on the 920 but I DID open it earlier at home downloading the map pack and then switch out. I am thinking the app doesn't suspend properly and somehow still running in the background. Nokia Drive suck up so much batter on my 900, I have to have it plug in the entire time if I were to use it in the car (it's typical, not unlike GPS system). Sometimes I think it drain battery faster than my car can charged it on the old 900.

Anyway, that Nokia Drive app is still beta so ... hopefully they notice it. I am not sure how to submit bug report to Nokia.

edit: Oh yeah, the little circle next to your battery mean there is an app accessing your location.

hoos30

8175128011_5ec8f2ffc5.jpg

My interracial MS Device family.

Really digging the 920s so far. I'm actually pissed at all the girly-boy reviewers who complained about the weight. No wireless chargers came in the box, but the CSR girl said that they have been ordered and should ship separately next week.

Patriots7

Gotta stop reading this thread, it's making me rethink my upcoming iPhone 5 purchase.

Congratulations on the new phone guys!

edit: Oh yeah, the little circle next to your battery mean there is an app accessing your location.
Thanks! Been meaning to ask this everytime I see it pop up randomly.

So I woke up yesterday at 8am, pulled my phone off the charger. all day I was listening to music, watched a few tv episodes on crackle, surfed the net (A LOT!) and played some games (minesweeper mostly lulz). I got home at 9:45pm. I still had 16% battery left. My message status is set to Offline and my screen brightness is set to High. The best battery in any smarthphone I've ever used hands down.

cube444

So I woke up yesterday at 8am, pulled my phone off the charger. all day I was listening to music, watched a few tv episodes on crackle, surfed the net (A LOT!) and played some games (minesweeper mostly lulz). I got home at 9:45pm. I still had 16% battery left. My message status is set to Offline and my screen brightness is set to High. The best battery in any smarthphone I've ever used hands down.

Wow. Nice.

SeanR1221

Gotta stop reading this thread, it's making me rethink my upcoming iPhone 5 purchase.

Congratulations on the new phone guys!

Do it. I have 200.00 extra to my name and a really great phone.

a man can dream. Got to 100% at 8:40. Light use this past hour and I'm at 96%. Its better than before but we'll see how it fares today during a huge stress test: entertaining me while my fiancé shops.

Marco1

Loving reading the positive opinions on the 920.
I will be buying a surface RT for Christmas and hoping that the next lumia will iron out all the kinks.
So MS please moneyhat the devs to get the app store up to speed. I can't wait to see how surface, nextbox and windows phone all work together.
Exciting times indeed, just don't gimp the nextbox specs please.

JuanMR2

I am experiencing similar results of light use. I tried letting the battery drain to 0% and charged back to 100% but it didn't make much of a difference. Here are some of my settings.

Lock-screen: 1min
Brightness: Automatic
Bluetooth: Off
Email (exchange): As items arrive
Backups: app list, text and photo set to On

Roko

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Nokia Drive on the 920? I attempted to use it last night but the map would not update as I drove. I would get the audio cues but it was as if the screen froze. Exiting and reopening the app didn't fix it.

Quikies83

My Cyan has FINALLY shipped -- or a shipping label has been printed for it rather (no shipping on sundays). Either way, it's no longer "processing" and I have a tracking number. GIVE ME!!!!

Top Bottom