• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Hambone

Getting ready to head to the Microsoft Store to check out the 920 (and play with Surface). I currently have the Sprint WP7 Arrive, so I'm no stranger to the ecosystem, but the HTC hardware is almost rage inducing. I've been with Sprint for over 11 years, and have no problem jumping ship to ATT.

I went to one ATT store, but all they had was the black, so I'm hoping the Microsoft Store will have more colors available that I can see.

GTI Guy

Getting ready to head to the Microsoft Store to check out the 920 (and play with Surface). I currently have the Sprint WP7 Arrive, so I'm no stranger to the ecosystem, but the HTC hardware is almost rage inducing. I've been with Sprint for over 11 years, and have no problem jumping ship to ATT.

I went to one ATT store, but all they had was the black, so I'm hoping the Microsoft Store will have more colors available that I can see.

What's wrong with black? Once you go black you don't go back.

SeanR1221

4 hours and at 65%. Still light to moderate. Some texting, going on Facebook, taking pictures, and playing like 8 levels of cut the rope. Oh yeah and surfing gaf a little but not much.

could the battery improve in small amounts through cycling?

Troll

Banned

The MS Stores are supposed to carry all colors and phone.

8175128011_5ec8f2ffc5.jpg

My interracial MS Device family.

Really digging the 920s so far. I'm actually pissed at all the girly-boy reviewers who complained about the weight. No wireless chargers came in the box, but the CSR girl said that they have been ordered and should ship separately next week.

I hope they know what they're talking about, ATT CSRs are notorious for making shit up.

4 hours and at 65%. Still light to moderate. Some texting, going on Facebook, taking pictures, and playing like 8 levels of cut the rope. Oh yeah and surfing gaf a little but not much.

Technically it could improve with cycling. The bigger issue is the fact that it was borderline defective when you first started posting... It sounds like you're getting better mileage out of it now though.

SeanR1221

True, Troll. If the cloud backup was as nice as Apples I wouldn't care but will I have to redownload and rearrange all the apps again with a restore? Blaaaahhhhh

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about getting a Cyan Surface to accompany my phone
sunglasses.gif

Magni

Can you ask for me if they're selling them without a contract? :) I went to the one no Times Sq last Thursday but they had no idea then.

Didn't you have nokia drive running in the background before? That would do it if the GPS radio was constantly powered on.

SeanR1221

Didn't you have nokia drive running in the background before? That would do it if the GPS radio was constantly powered on.

I *think* but I'm not sure. I don't see how it could when I restarted the phone and never opened the app, but who knows. I turned off the Drive location services completely, I use the navigation built into my car anyway.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I threw a cyan cover on my 900 to get a feel of the 920 plus some weight training in. With the cover its probably pretty close to 920 dimensions. Feels good.

kharma45

I really hope cyan doesn't stay a US network exclusive for too long, would love to see it come to the UK (as well as come on networks other than EE).

SeanR1221

Hm...I just found the background tasks option.

Timer, Evernote, Metrotube, Nokia Drive, Weather Channel and Weather Flow were all enabled. I disabled them all except for timer. Bet that will help.

Oh yeah, and the dogs of lumia

26646_582704489896_1779831198_n.jpg

575039_582662519006_1944184654_n.jpg

Hambone

Finally got home, and can start setting up and configuring my phone. The Microsoft Store did have all the colors available, but doesn't have the phone on display for some reason. Cyan baby!

This phone is awesome, and the screen is gorgeous compared to my HTC Arrive.

Goodbye Sprint, you will not be missed.

9IeHK.jpg

cube444

But I thought they don't open until the 16th?

I made a mistake. The Toronto "Eaton Centre" one has been open since October 26th. The one opening on November 16th is the Yorkdale Mall one. I was also told you can't buy the phones from the pop-up stores.

abuC

Is it worth it to buy it off contract? I will be out of the country a lot in the next couple months, but doing the math there isn't much savings to be had if I bought the phone outright. I hate contracts, but not sure which way to go with this phone, really want one though.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've heard that the 920 will be available in white, red and black in Canada at the Microsoft holiday store (black only if you buy at Rogers).

Which colour looks the best. I like black but have had black for 2 years now ... thinking about going for white.

cube444

I've heard that the 920 will be available in white, red and black in Canada at the Microsoft holiday store (black only if you buy at Rogers).

Which colour looks the best. I like black but have had black for 2 years now ... thinking about going for white.

What store exactly? The MS rep on the phone told me that you can't buy the phones at the pop-up stores.

I also doubt that they'll be off contract phones.

is it possible to turn off LTE radio? I poodled around in the settings but I couldn't find it.

also, no Skype app on launch is really stupid.

Love the camera/ white look of the phone though.

Liberty4all

Banned
What store exactly? The MS rep on the phone told me that you can't buy the phones at the pop-up stores.

I also doubt that they'll be off contract phones.

Toronto eaton centre. Yorkville too when it opens on Friday this week. All hearsay though based on someone else's comments. I'm likely going to check eaton centre tomorrow and if not there I may wait until Friday to see if the full retail store opening at Yorkville has it in different colours. Still debating though ... I actually do like black too.

IMHO black or white is the way to go as you'll be able to use the widest variety of live tiles (in terms of the phone still looking good no matter what tile color you pick). White appeals to me simply because they will be so rare in Canada assuming the rumors Microsoft store does carry red and white end up being true.

cube444

Toronto eaton centre. Yorkville too when it opens on Friday this week. All hearsay though based on someone else's comments. I'm likely going to check eaton centre tomorrow and if not there I may wait until Friday to see if the full retail store opening at Yorkville has it.

This launch is hilarious. Not that the rep is correct, but he told me today that you can't even buy a Lumia 920 at the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale Mall one when it opens. He told me only their "brick and mortar" stores sell them, whatever the hell that means.

Since you're going, please enquire if I can buy the phone off contract and if so, what colours will be available.

Much appreciated.

Finally got home, and can start setting up and configuring my phone. The Microsoft Store did have all the colors available, but doesn't have the phone on display for some reason. Cyan baby!

This phone is awesome, and the screen is gorgeous compared to my HTC Arrive.

Goodbye Sprint, you will not be missed.

9IeHK.jpg

Which store had that? I thought cyan was only available online?

So glad I preordered last Wednesday and still have yet to receive mine. :(

Liberty4all

Banned
This launch is hilarious. Not that the rep is correct, but he told me today that you can't even buy a Lumia 920 at the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale Mall one when it opens. He told me only their "brick and mortar" stores sell them, whatever the hell that means.

Since you're going, please enquire if I can buy the phone off contract and if so, what colours will be available.

Much appreciated.

Sure I'll check for you. Btw, as I understand it the eaton centre location is a pop up, but the Yorkdale store IS going to be a bricks and mortar location in the mall.

JuanMR2

I'm having issues with the battery life and also text messages still go to my Sprint phone. I just got off chat support with at&t regarding the text messages, they asked for my IMEI # then had me restart the phone. I know have this bacon icon up top, does anyone now what it is?

wp8screen001.jpg

Top Bottom