• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

kharma45

The Phones4U near me still does not have this phone yet.. However the EE store has it for 24 month contract at £41 a month. (Pass)

I think I am going to just wait until payday and pick it up SIM free. That is if they have it in store by then..

How long does it normally take for phones to drop in price? I have never bought a phone SIM free before!

Are you aware that the 'SIM free' Lumia 920 is still locked to EE/Orange/T-Mob?

Nero3000

The Phones4U near me still does not have this phone yet.. However the EE store has it for 24 month contract at £41 a month. (Pass)

I think I am going to just wait until payday and pick it up SIM free. That is if they have it in store by then..

How long does it normally take for phones to drop in price? I have never bought a phone SIM free before!

For the Lumia 800, it dropped to £400 (from 450ish) late november. The other drops didnt really happen till after the new year.

Basically wait for the initial demand to be fulfilled. Then the deals will roll in.

Satchel

Banned
Is it worth it to buy it off contract? I will be out of the country a lot in the next couple months, but doing the math there isn't much savings to be had if I bought the phone outright. I hate contracts, but not sure which way to go with this phone, really want one though.

Similar boat.

Had a mobile for 16 years and never on contract. Always bought outright.

This will be the first ever phone I own on contract. I'm nervous. I like my freedom but I simply can't afford $829AU for a phone anymore.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you aware that the 'SIM free' Lumia 920 is still locked to EE/Orange/T-Mob?

Yarp, currently on Orange and my contract does not end until February. So I planned on buying the phone and just put my current SIM in. Then unlock it when the contract runs out.

I am now tempted to just wait until the price drops, but the wait will be damn hard!

For the Lumia 800, it dropped to £400 (from 450ish) late november. The other drops didnt really happen till after the new year.

Basically wait for the initial demand to be fulfilled. Then the deals will roll in.

Damn that dropped fast. I hope the same happens again! I wish they sold Cyan over here.

toff74

Having a look on the P4U website and the Sim Free 920's on the line below it says that the phone will ONLY work with EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims. Is there a way of checking whether this is true? Or rater not.....

toff74

Having a look on the P4U website and the Sim Free 920's on the line below it says that the phone will ONLY work with EE, Orange and T-Mobile sims. Is there a way of checking whether this is true? Or rater not.....

Aaaaand i didn't read the comment at the top of the page which says exactly the same thing..

Lucifon

Anyone know if it's possible to get the Cyan in the UK?

Tempted to pay out the last few months of my contract and pick one up, but feel like it might just be a better idea to wait until early next year when I'm due for a renewal - what with all the availability issues etc.

SeanR1221

I don't think you turn it off in the car - I think the phone is making a call to your car bluetooth so its all handled from the phone. and I can't find anything in the settings on an 800 (so WP7.5) that can change it.

I don't mind because I don't get that many messages and I can just say 'later' but if you get a lot I can imagine it'd be annoying

Wow that sucks. I get a ton of messages since I have 10 different families and multiple supervisors I work with.

Milchjon

WPCentral went a bit more in depth with the camera.

For overly soft daylight photos, Nokia Creative Studio seems to work really well:

BeforeAfterShot.jpg

I don't like how Skype "takes over" my text messages. Is there a way to turn that off?

EDIT: Also, only real negative about the 920 so far: the vibration seems to shake the shell/casing a bit too much, makes it sound cheaper than it actually is.

tralfazz

It's official, I've got battery issues too :(

I took a 30 minute drive using bluetooth for playing a downloaded podcast. Received a couple of emails and I'm already down to 68%

I turned the phone off and on and it drained 3%...

Hope there is a fix soon.

Edit: A few minutes ago after reboot the phone was at 68%. Now it says 72%. Again, I hope they have a fix incoming quick.

jaypah

Ordered Wednesday morning, still no shipping info. Sigh. What a clusterfuck the traffic light-yellow version wound up being.

SeanR1221

I took a 30 minute drive using bluetooth for playing a downloaded podcast. Received a couple of emails and I'm already down to 68%

Edit: A few minutes ago after reboot the phone was at 68%. Now it says 72%. Again, I hope they have a fix incoming quick.

Wow sounds worse than mine. I did a lot of texting this morning. Snapped some photos of my dog, went on the internet for like 10 minutes and played about 12 levels of cut the rope over the past 3 hours and I'm at 71%. Seems like I'm on track to lose 10% an hour AND I have a ton of features turned off. I'll keep giving it a week like you guys say but its going to be a sucky week.

kazinova

Well, either AT&T put a cell tower up near my work building or the Lumia has double the antenna strength the Focus had. I used to barely get one bar at my desk. Now I get three bars.

Does LTE have better signal strength than 3G?

Krakatoa

Dam Sync (ford Edge) won’t read my text messages anymore. This worked fine on my Samsung Focus (Win7.5), but for some reason it's not working on the windows 8.

Anyone else having this issue?

Phone book,music and phone calls still work though.

Talon

Well, either AT&T put a cell tower up near my work building or the Lumia has double the antenna strength the Focus had. I used to barely get one bar at my desk. Now I get three bars.

Does LTE have better signal strength than 3G?
I found the same thing jumping from a HSPA+ device to a LTE device in Chicago.

SeanR1221

Dam Sync (ford Edge) won’t read my text messages anymore. This worked fine on my Samsung Focus (Win7.5), but for some reason it's not working on the windows 8.

Anyone else having this issue?

Phone book,music and phone calls still work though.

My Honda CRV reads them but I would take your situation. Annoying as hell.

Quikies83

What were the tips on activating this phone out of the box? I remember reading some horror stories earlier in this thread. I'm about to crack mine open :)

hwalker84

I think I have them too. I'm not taking the phone back. I'll just wait. I haven't had an issue where my phones about to die and I don't have a charger. This morning my phone was at around 22%. I made one call which didn't even connect. Left a voicemail and it showed 15%. When I got to work I put on WP bench and let the battery run down. It only lasted 8 minutes. From what I remember the 800 had battery issues and they fixed it in firmware. I'm fine with that.

tralfazz

I think I have them too. I'm not taking the phone back. I'll just wait. I haven't had an issue where my phones about to die and I don't have a charger. This morning my phone was at around 22%. I made one call which didn't even connect. Left a voicemail and it showed 15%. When I got to work I put on WP bench and let the battery run down. It only lasted 8 minutes. From what I remember the 800 had battery issues and they fixed it in firmware. I'm fine with that.

Doing a hard reboot of the phone seems to have readjusted the battery settings a bit. I'm going to keep cycling it. I would think there will be a fix for the battery and camera soon.

Subitai

Ok because of price, memory slot, and wireless charging covers i'm joining you guys and getting an 822 instead of a sexy California Blue HTC 8x!!

Now where can I get a wireless charging cover for one? Verizon won't let me pre-order one.

tralfazz

Make sure the phone was powered off for 15+ minutes? The phone that was shipped powered off?

IIRC, the instructions mention powering it up before activation. Then turning the phone off for 15 or so while activating it. You have to turn it off because the phone comes on when you charge it.

SeanR1221

Doing a hard reboot of the phone seems to have readjusted the battery settings a bit. I'm going to keep cycling it. I would think there will be a fix for the battery and camera soon.

When you did this, can you explain what restoring from a cloud backup was like?

tralfazz

When you did this, can you explain what restoring from a cloud backup was like?

Didn't do a wipe. Just powered it off using the button versus letting it die.

I am curious about the Nokia Drive. For the peeps without issues, do you have it uninstalled, Blocked, or running normal?

Top Bottom