• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I'm having issues with the battery life and also text messages still go to my Sprint phone. I just got off chat support with at&t regarding the text messages, they asked for my IMEI # then had me restart the phone. I know have this bacon icon up top, does anyone now what it is?

wp8screen001.jpg

This happened with my iPhone. It was because for what ever reason Verizon didn't broadcast ownership of the number. Other carriers are routing to Sprint because they don't know otherwise.

hwalker84

I'm having issues with the battery life and also text messages still go to my Sprint phone. I just got off chat support with at&t regarding the text messages, they asked for my IMEI # then had me restart the phone. I know have this bacon icon up top, does anyone now what it is?
Number porting isn't full proof. For example my girlfriend was with Sprint since she got into this country 14 years ago. She ported her number 5-6 years ago to T-Mobile. She kept having issues with Sprint reissuing her number to the point she got sick of it and changed her number Saturday.

SeanR1221

You could also turn off Bluetooth if you’re not using it.

I did but not for a battery saving reason. My car was dropping the music and saying every incoming text. I get its a safety thing but its annoying. Gotta look up how to turn that off on my CR-V.

There is a battery saver option in the settings somewhere, but I've learnt that enabling this feature disables (at least) notification toasts for IM apps like Kik in my experience.

Totakeke

There is a battery saver option in the settings somewhere, but I've learnt that enabling this feature disables (at least) notification toasts for IM apps like Kik in my experience.

It's a setting you leave it on and it will only trigger when your battery is low. It should only deactivate notifications when battery saver is triggered. You'll see a love shape on top of your battery if it's on.

thirty

Banned
Still waiting for a simultaneous comparison between the 920 and another phone. Curious to see how they differ in audio recording quality.
there are already tons of concert videos from people's iPhones, galaxies, one-x's, and their best vids don't even come close to pureview/rich recording quality.

thirty

Banned
palm touchstone chargers are confirmed to work with the 920, there are videos that show this. my concern is that the touchstone has magnets and I wonder if that would have any lasting effects on the phone. I ordered a touchstone anyway, they can be found for $5-10.

palm touchstone chargers are confirmed to work with the 920, there are videos that show this. my concern is that the touchstone has magnets and I wonder if that would have any lasting effects on the phone. I ordered a touchstone anyway, they can be found for $5-10.
No don't do this, Wpcentral said this will wreck your Lumia as they use difference conductor frequencies.

MegalonJJ

Banned
6 months or so. You can't really make any future predictions based on that though since 900 was tailor made for the Lumia's US release.

Cool, cheers for the info.

I was just wondering that should Nokia take until (let's say) March to release the 920 unlocked here in the UK, maybe I should wait a bit longer to see if they release an "upgrade" of some sort. I know in the tech space, that's a vicious cycle game to play (end up never getting anything etc)...I'll see when they release the 920 unlocked and how my 800 is holding up at that point.

800 is still pretty awesome imo (very slick...imagine a 950 with same res as 920 but with an amoled display for dat black level...)

Been using mine for 12 hours (during which time I checked GAF and other sites regularly, texted, and downloaded ~15 apps over wireless) and battery is at 27%. Much better than my 900 was.

I am running Keep Alive (App that keep your Wi-Fi on). Wifi at my work require sign in and it's really annoying to have to keep doing it.

I will report how battery is at the end of the night to see if Microsoft reasoning for constantly knocking out Wi-Fi to save battery is sound.

wp8screen001.jpg

The bacon icon is telling you your phone is on vibrate.

SeanR1221

Can you confirm that the road is okay???

Honestly, when your experience seems to be so much worse than everyone else's, I'd try to exchange it instead of turning off every function until it loses all appeal.

I'd just like to have a better idea of what the cloud restore is like. Is it like Apples where everything gets put back exactly how it was, or is it a half baked version?

I'd just like to have a better idea of what the cloud restore is like. Is it like Apples where everything gets put back exactly how it was, or is it a half baked version?

You can let us know about your experience. : P

http://www.wpcentral.com/backing-and-restoring-personal-data-windows-phone-8

Here is an article about it on Wpcentral.

On Windows Phone 7, if you do a restored it will completely restored your phone to the last point before you do update (it back up only when you update the phone and essentially just info dump to your harddrive).

there are already tons of concert videos from people's iPhones, galaxies, one-x's, and their best vids don't even come close to pureview/rich recording quality.
I'm sure that's true, but I'm still curious to hear the difference when the audio is exactly the same source.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I did but not for a battery saving reason. My car was dropping the music and saying every incoming text. I get its a safety thing but its annoying. Gotta look up how to turn that off on my CR-V.

I don't think you turn it off in the car - I think the phone is making a call to your car bluetooth so its all handled from the phone. and I can't find anything in the settings on an 800 (so WP7.5) that can change it.

I don't mind because I don't get that many messages and I can just say 'later' but if you get a lot I can imagine it'd be annoying

I don't think you turn it off in the car - I think the phone is making a call to your car bluetooth so its all handled from the phone. and I can't find anything in the settings on an 800 (so WP7.5) that can change it.

I don't mind because I don't get that many messages and I can just say 'later' but if you get a lot I can imagine it'd be annoying

Go to Setting>Speech there is an option you can toggle to Bluetooth to not read your message. I am pretty sure it was on the 7.5 also.

My experiment with Keep Alive was cut short, I am not sure if it is the cause but my phone just went dead for about 5 min. I could not wake it with any of the button. I let it sat there thinking it was brick but then it just reboot. Only app I install and have running is Keep Alive but I don't know if it what cause the problem. I could have defective phone too ... though this is the first time this happen.

My battery is more or less the same as the night before without Keep Alive running.

Chittagong

Gold Member
In case anyone else uses Lync for work conf calls, I just found out that it's really nicely integrated in the 920. In case you have the Lync app from Store, it will recognize the meeting invites having a Lync call in. It will show a button for joining the meeting, in which case the meeting actually calls you, saving cost.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Phones4U near me still does not have this phone yet.. However the EE store has it for 24 month contract at £41 a month. (Pass)

I think I am going to just wait until payday and pick it up SIM free. That is if they have it in store by then..

How long does it normally take for phones to drop in price? I have never bought a phone SIM free before!

Top Bottom