• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

I think messaging in Skype is essentially Live Messenger.

Well, it was weird, because I had just texted my girlfriend using the standard Messaging app, then I installed and logged into Skype, and her reply came through Skype. She has an iPhone and was just using her regular texts. Is that normal?

cube444

So went into a Rogers store here in Toronto and they expect it in on Wednesday. $599 for the phone outright and then $50 to unlock it. :lol

Raistlin

you have such good taste.

i tip my hat.
CLUB CYAN 4 LYFE

ImaHc.jpg

Tapiozona

Banned
So jealous of all the 920 owners. I rushed in and got a Titan last year around black Friday (which I since then replaced with a 900 from craigslist) and now I have to wait forever before I'm eligible for a 920 through AT&T. I played around with it in the store for a while and damn that thing is so sexy compared to my crappy 900. Hard to believe how different it is when it's so close to being the same phone.

Anyone know of any tricks to get upgrade eligibility after 1 year?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So jealous of all the 920 owners. I rushed in and got a Titan last year around black Friday (which I since then replaced with a 900 from craigslist) and now I have to wait forever before I'm eligible for a 920 through AT&T. I played around with it in the store for a while and damn that thing is so sexy compared to my crappy 900. Hard to believe how different it is when it's so close to being the same phone.

I'm surprised they don't allow you to upgrade. With Rogers in Canada I'm only a year and a half in on a 3 year contract and I can upgrade.

SeanR1221

My one local store has one left. I'm tempted to do the exchange tonight.

Its actually cool every place is sold out around me. Good for Nokia.

Piper Az

Went to the ATT store today and upgraded to a white Lumia 920. So far, it's gorgeous. I will likely play around with the camera exposure setting (-1 or -2), as I heard that the default setting actually take too-bright pictures in dark.

GCX

My one local store has one left. I'm tempted to do the exchange tonight.

Its actually cool every place is sold out around me. Good for Nokia.
There's been several pretty positive sales reports so far. Nokia really needs some good news right now so hopefully this is it.

Mine just arrived: What should I do with it? I've been an iOS user for the last four or five years, so I have no idea how to work within the Windows environment or what I need to do. Tips plz.

Pin all sorts of shit to your start screen. I have the following pinned:

My favorite movie theater (from Flixster)
Stock prices (From MyStocks)
Weather for my city and weather for wherever I am currently (from Amazing Weather)
My next 6 appointments on my calendar (From Agenda Live)
A couple of GAF links (from IE browser)
Airplane Mode and WiFi shortcuts (from Connectivity Shortcuts)
Shopping list I share with my wife (from OneNote linked via SkyDrive)
A couple of different groups for family and friends (from People Hub)
A couple of my favorite contacts (from People Hub)
A couple of twitter searches (from Twitter)
Upcoming birthdays (from Social Birthday Tile)

and a few other things. I love the way this works on WP.

KoukiFC

Neo Member

Call AT&T and let them know you are unhappy with the 900 not getting the windows phone 8 update. They might give you a credit for the amount of the early upgrade fee.

I've seen a few people online who have been able to upgrade early this way.

Is there a WP8 equivalent for Google Reader?

And any good Fantasy Football apps??

Thanks! I actually don't have a 920 (yet) but hope to in the near future.

Klocker

the new ads running on NFL games and ESPN are really good compared to the last two years.. both Windows Phone and Nokia ads.

Ragus

Banned
I need this phone. I thought that I wouldn't, so I've recently replaced my iPhone 4 with Xperia T. Great phone, really, but still - I want Lumia 920.

Am I a bad person? Consumerism is eating me alive

Troll

Banned
Okay so everything is straightened out. I'm currently setting up the phones and going to do a full drain/recharge on them. Cyan is so good. <3

Tekniqs

just got off the tech line..said they'd unlock the phone if I buy it out of contract...works for me since I'm leaving the country for a vacation next month....tempting as hell

Bullza2o

Does the app install push notification work for anyone? I can't seem to get my phone to download apps when I use windowsphone.com

kms_md

Does the app install push notification work for anyone? I can't seem to get my phone to download apps when I use windowsphone.com

Worked fine for me - d/l'd MetroTalk, Baconit, a battery management tool, and a twitter client via the web page on separate occasions without a problem.

TKR92

I just talked with the premier rep and she said "all Nokia Lumia 920 phones are backordered"

WAT?

EDIT: Got email from ATT Premier store and the items are backordered.

I think I'm about ready to give up on yellow and go with white, though. Yellow still looks better but white is also pretty flashy, and maybe white would be a bit classier or more professional. Yellow would look weird with a suit.

So yeah, nothing in stores. Every AT&T store I called or visited today was completely out of all 920s, just gave the standard "call back around 1 or 2 every day to see what shipment we got" response. Man, every single AT&T outlet is incredibly unreliable and unhelpful, whether online, over the phone, or in person in store.

Magni

just got off the tech line..said they'd unlock the phone if I buy it out of contract...works for me since I'm leaving the country for a vacation next month....tempting as hell

Where do you live? US?

I went to the Microsoft Store on Times Square again, this time I was told "they aren't out yet, maybe at the end of the month". Pure incompetence. Went to the AT&T store and finally held one in my hands, whoever said it was heavy needs to play with an N95. Asked about buying off contract and was told I couldn't do it at one of their stores but needed to go to an "authorized retailer" (despite the guy online telling me to go to one of their stores). This is the most frustrating tech purchase I'll ever have made once I finally am able to buy one!

On the phone with MS now hoping to get info on no-contract and unlocked Lumias. edit: no info whatsoever apart from the fact that is indeed locked, couldn't even tell me if I could use a prepaid AT&T card with it. This country sucks so much when it comes to cell phones.

cube444

I think I'm about ready to give up on yellow and go with white, though. Yellow still looks better but white is also pretty flashy, and maybe white would be a bit classier or more professional. Yellow would look weird with a suit.

So yeah, nothing in stores. Every AT&T store I called or visited today was completely out of all 920s, just gave the standard "call back around 1 or 2 every day to see what shipment we got" response. Man, every single AT&T outlet is incredibly unreliable and unhelpful, whether online, over the phone, or in person in store.

I think white will give you the best options when it comes to tiles especially with a black background. Try it here:

Click the "Apply now/Customize your phone" tab at the link below:

Link

cube444

Where do you live? US?

I went to the Microsoft Store on Times Square again, this time I was told "they aren't out yet, maybe at the end of the month". Pure incompetence. Went to the AT&T store and finally held one in my hands, whoever said it was heavy needs to play with an N95. Asked about buying off contract and was told I couldn't do it at one of their stores but needed to go to an "authorized retailer" (despite the guy online telling me to go to one of their stores). This is the most frustrating tech purchase I'll ever have made once I finally am able to buy one!

On the phone with MS now hoping to get info on no-contract and unlocked Lumias. edit: no info whatsoever apart from the fact that is indeed locked, couldn't even tell me if I could use a prepaid AT&T card with it. This country sucks so much when it comes to cell phones.

Throw Canada into that equation too man. It's such a fucking joke that I can't buy this phone outright by simply going to Nokia's website and clicking on "purchase this fucking phone now" or buy walking into the MS pop-up store in my city.

If the Nexus 4 was LTE ready I would have been buying it first thing tomorrow morning off Google's site.

Top Bottom