• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

SeanR1221

About to hit 4 hours. 80% battery of light to moderate use. Not as great as some of you guys here have gotten but LEAGUES better than what I had before. Plus, this is the first charge so it could get better.

For reference, I'd be at 60% on my old phone right now.

Those of you coming from an iPhone 4, how does the battery on the 920 compare?

Battery reports are making me a little nervous.

This isn't a scientific analysis, but everyday on my drive to work I listen to a podcast, send texts throughout the day, read GAF on the toilet at work, check email once in a while and listen to a podcast on the way home from work (for a total of about an hour of podcast listening). With my iPhone 4, by the time I got home (taking it off the charger around 8:30 and getting home around 6) I'd usually be around 85% battery. With pretty much the same usage as my iPhone 4, plus showing it off to a coworker for about 10 minutes, I was at around 92% when I got home.

I was on it virtually all night after work, checking Twitter, texting, playing some games, browsing GAF and Reddit. And it died at 1AM. I never used my iPhone that much so it's hard to tell how it compares with a full day's use. Keep in mind I was trying to run it down because I wanted to drain it then do a full charge.

Overall I'd say it's on par or better than the iPhone 4.

SeanR1221

Those of you coming from an iPhone 4, how does the battery on the 920 compare?

Battery reports are making me a little nervous.

I'll give you a idea soon now that I have a better battery.

I use my phone at work a lot, so my iPhone 4 battery was usually critically low around 8-10PM.

Talon

This isn't a scientific analysis, but everyday on my drive to work I listen to a podcast, send texts throughout the day, read GAF on the toilet at work, check email once in a while and listen to a podcast on the way home from work (for a total of about an hour of podcast listening). With my iPhone 4, by the time I got home (taking it off the charger around 8:30 and getting home around 6) I'd usually be around 85% battery. With pretty much the same usage as my iPhone 4, plus showing it off to a coworker for about 10 minutes, I was at around 92% when I got home.

I was on it virtually all night after work, checking Twitter, texting, playing some games, browsing GAF and Reddit. And it died at 1AM. I never used my iPhone that much so it's hard to tell how it compares with a full day's use. Keep in mind I was trying to run it down because I wanted to drain it then do a full charge.

TMI, friend.

PG2G

About to hit 4 hours. 80% battery of light to moderate use. Not as great as some of you guys here have gotten but LEAGUES better than what I had before. Plus, this is the first charge so it could get better.

For reference, I'd be at 60% on my old phone right now.

I might have to consider a swap too then. I managed to go from 100% this morning to 30%, in about 4 hours time. It reported 1 hour remaining at 43% battery -_-

I do a fair amount of listening to music, but I don't think it should be THAT taxing.

SeanR1221

I might have to consider a swap too then. I managed to go from 100% this morning to 30%, in about 4 hours time. It reported 1 hour remaining at 43% battery -_-

I do a fair amount of listening to music, but I don't think it should be THAT taxing.

Sounds like my old phone :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So my 920 can't find my windows 8 laptop, nor will it connect to a PC via Zune, simply doesn't see it. So I am using some PC connect beta. Am is missing something obvious?

tralfazz

I'd say if you are going to swap it (and it does sound like a bad battery) do it sooner rather than later. 14 day return policy will make it easier I'm sure.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So my 920 can't find my windows 8 laptop, nor will it connect to a PC via Zune, simply doesn't see it. So I am using some PC connect beta. Am is missing something obvious?

Have you downloaded the new WP connector app? There is a Metro version and desktop version.

Bullza2o

Drained my battery last night, recharged it to max until before I slept. Went to class at 8am, was on IE for 15 minutes during it. Now I looked at it again and whoa
OKmWC.png

EDIT: made 1 call and now 87%, 2 days 6 hours. lol what is this.

I'm getting pretty terrible battery life on my phone..

I disabled data completely and over the course of the day it still drained to 37% just from sitting on my desk. (no calls or texts)

I'll drain it to 0 tonight and recharge, but this kind of issue is the same reason i got rid of my Lumia 900 and went back to my galaxy nexus.

I kept thinking that it was because I don't live in an LTE area and I have low signal in my apartment, but I'm honestly not sure.

Raistlin

I'm wondering if there's a firmware issue causing the battery problems? IIRC that happened with the prior Nokia WP7 devices.

For me so far, it seems like it did quite well during actual usage ... but dropped more than I'd expect over night. Granted I haven't even done my first drain/recharge cycle yet.

Is it true that there's no way to disable LTE on AT&T Lumia 920s?
hmmmm ... there was a workaround to expose the necessary menu on the 900 ... I wonder if there's a way to do the same for the 920?

I'll try to look tonight if no one has responded.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Bloody hell, I got my free charger plate(which I wasn't expecting) delivered before my phone! Now they are just teasing me.

Raistlin

Bloody hell, I got my free charger plate(which I wasn't expecting) delivered before my phone! Now they are just teasing me.
Weirdly my free charger plate showed up in the same shipping box as my phone ... yet the cyan charger I ordered hasn't arrived.

Unless of course they messed up and sent me black instead of cyan as may paid one :\

thirty

Banned
Weirdly my free charger plate showed up in the same shipping box as my phone ... yet the cyan charger I ordered hasn't arrived.

Unless of course they messed up and sent me black instead of cyan as may paid one :\
no, everyone is getting the black free from att.

hwalker84

Is it true that there's no way to disable LTE on AT&T Lumia 920s?

No there isn't and the 900 workaround doesn't work either as the ## code doesn't enable the diagnostics app anymore.

It also doesn't work on your 900 if you're on the latest version and do a hard reset. They removed the portion from the diagnostics app.

I need moar win phone 8 tips plz.

Put your tips inside me.

Edit:

Does anyone else have a weird rattling when the phone vibrates? It's like something is loose inside. Wondering if it is normal, or if I need to return it. =|

The camera lens is loose to make the image stabilization possible.

It sounds like a cheap blown out speaker. =|

Also: Anyone else have issues with the back (<-) button while typing in portrait mode? The pad of my thumb (that meets with my palm) rests on it and presses it while I'm typing, consistently kicking me back a screen. I guess I just need to learn to hover.

Other than those two gripes, the phone is fantastic. I love the UI, I'm learning the OS and it's actually pretty intuitive, even coming from five years of iOS.

oh man. i feel sorry for all the people with battery issues. I had some freezing issues and went to return my phone but they were all out. But they seem to have cleared up anyways. It froze 4 times in the first day but hasn't frozen in 4 days since. So I think I'm going to keep it.

Yesterday I woke up at 6am and finally got home from work at around 9:30pm. I used internet all day and listened to music for 2 hours in the gym and ran my app for the gym. When I threw it on the charger after 15 and a half hours I had 46% battery left.

I haven't disabled any background applications. They're all allowed to run. I don't use messenger though. As I said earlier, best battery life in any smartphone I've owned. Sucks that some people tend to be having really terrible life. Hopefully Nokia gets the issue cleared up because that is by far my favorite aspect. Every other smartphone I've ever owned had to be recharged by the middle of the day because of my constant web browsing and listening to music.

Raistlin

no, everyone is getting the black free from att.
What I'm saying is a number of people are getting there's sent late ... so I'm concerned they may have messed up my order and I'll be receiving a 2nd black one (the free one) ... instead of the cyan I ordered.

No there isn't and the 900 workaround doesn't work either as the ## code doesn't enable the diagnostics app anymore.

It also doesn't work on your 900 if you're on the latest version and do a hard reset. They removed the portion from the diagnostics app.
Well that's lame :\

Does anyone else have a weird rattling when the phone vibrates? It's like something is loose inside. Wondering if it is normal, or if I need to return it. =|
Actually that's how the 900 is as well

Raistlin

I thought you can just turn off cellular data on the settings.
You can, but that turns off cellular entirely.

Some people want to turn of LTE to scrape some extra battery life because either it's not in their area or they don't care about the speed. The problem is AT&T hid the diagnostics that allow you to turn if off, much like they did with the 900.

thirty

Banned
You can, but that turns of cellular entirely.

Some people want to turn of LTE to scrape some extra battery life because either it's not in their area or they don't care about the speed. The problem is AT&T hid the diagnostics that allow you to turn if off, much like they did with the 900.
lte isn't available in my area. so is there a way of disabling it on the 920?

Actually that's how the 900 is as well

Seems like it's just a very widespread issue on Nokia phones. I tweeted and Nokia told me to take it to service.

Maybe we could test: Does anyone in this thread have a Lumia 920 that doesn't rattle (something like a hollow tin, or a blown out speaker) when it vibrates?

Seems like it's just a very widespread issue on Nokia phones. I tweeted and Nokia told me to take it to service.

Maybe we could test: Does anyone in this thread have a Lumia 920 that doesn't rattle (something like a hollow tin, or a blown out speaker) when it vibrates?
mine doesn't. I didn't know this was an issue

Liberty4all

Banned

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear :)

My iPhone 4 battery usually lasts me from morning until early evening at which point I top it up in a stereo charger when I'm not using it.

As long as it will last the work day I'm good

SeanR1221

After 9 hours of light to moderate use (more so on the light side to be honest) I'm at 40% charge. I'm definitely letting it run out and recharhing to 100% and then I'll take it from there.

If this is how the final battery is, I'd rank it as ok. Can't compete with Apple's stuff, but certainly not a deal breaker.

cube444

I've been thinking about that rumour saying the new MS store at Yorkdale Mall will be selling red, white and black Lumia 920s.

First Canadian "real" store.

Canada.

Canadian flag.

Red and white.

Hmmmm...

NeOak

Something in the OS activates and drains the battery.

I had a fast discharge rate, restarted my phone and then it went to a "normal" discharge rate. Definitely software related.

If you have the fast drain, reboot the phone.

Raistlin

Random techie question ...

Does anyone know if BlueTooth 4.0 supports uncompressed audio? My question is regarding the 920's equalizer and Dolby functionality. Using my older BT headset, I cannot use these features since it's compressed audio. I'm curious if these features would be usable on a BT 4.0 headset or speaker dock?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I spent an hour on the phone with ATT Premier today getting my free wireless charger. The rep blamed their software and mentioned that she had to go back in to my old order and associate the charger with the phone. Sounded like a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom