• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Liberty4all

Banned
I've been thinking about that rumour saying the new MS store at Yorkdale Mall will be selling red, white and black Lumia 920s.

First Canadian "real" store.

Canada.

Canadian flag.

Red and white.

Hmmmm...

Exactly. That's why I believe the rumour might be true. If my reservation with Rogers has not shipped by Friday I'm going to Yorkdale in the morning to try to get one.

Raistlin

I spent an hour on the phone with ATT Premier today getting my free wireless charger. The rep blamed their software and mentioned that she had to go back in to my old order and associate the charger with the phone. Sounded like a pain in the ass.

Probably involved like 3 button clicks. They just want it to sound like they're being put off by it.

Raistlin

Great, thanks. I'm going to go to ATT this week I guess and see if they'll replace it.
I think many of them have a slight rattle. If you are not having any other problems I'm not sure it's worth taking it back over this unless it's really obnoxious sounding.

The vibrate mech on the 900's did this as well.

I think many of them have a slight rattle. If you are not having any other problems I'm not sure it's worth taking it back over this unless it's really obnoxious sounding.

The vibrate mech on the 900's did this as well.

It is pretty obnoxious to me. I'm probably over-reacting, but if I'm going to have this phone for 1.5-2 years, I want it to be working perfectly on Day 1. And to be fair, I bitched about my iPhone 4 antenna being fucked up when I "held the phone wrong," so I'd be remiss to not also point this out. At least it seems like this may not be inherent in the design...

Also: Is there any way to customize the vibration? I'd like a different pulse for texts and emails.

thirty

Banned
be sure you set auto backup of text/photos/videos to off if you wanna save battery. i set mine to wifi only.

WhatApp question, anyone have trouble logging in? i received the verification text but it doesn't seem to work.

be sure you set auto backup of text/photos/videos to off if you wanna save battery. i set mine to wifi only.

WhatApp question, anyone have trouble logging in? i received the verification text but it doesn't seem to work.

I had to reset the app (or was it the phone?) before it worked.

Amory

The Lumia line of phones are such head turners. I have the 900 and 1-2 strangers a week will ask what phone I'm using and ask to hold it, if I like it, etc.

If Microsoft ever gets their app situation under control, they really could eat up some market share.

The Lumia line of phones are such head turners. I have the 900 and 1-2 strangers a week will ask what phone I'm using and ask to hold it, if I like it, etc.

If Microsoft ever gets their app situation under control, they really could eat up some market share.
I'm basically throwing my hat in the ring that simultaneous Win 8 development platform for Windows Phone, Windows 8 Desktop, and Windows Surface will bring the ecosystem up to speed.

BTW, is Windows Store a "walled garden" like Apple? I.E. Do I not have to worry about virus apps and shit?

Amory

I'm basically throwing my hat in the ring that simultaneous Win 8 development platform for Windows Phone, Windows 8 Desktop, and Windows Surface will bring the ecosystem up to speed.

BTW, is Windows Store a "walled garden" like Apple? I.E. Do I not have to worry about virus apps and shit?

I dunno about virus apps, but you'll definitely have to deal with some shit.

Amory

I can't say for sure, but it doesn't look like their approval process is very stringent at all. The store is disorganized and a lot of apps look pretty sketchy. All the "hot girls" apps spring immediately to mind.

Any app store will have shit, but I mean "unsafe" shit. And I'm not asking about the occasional "oh shit, this slipped in, we have to yank it," I just mean an unorganized mess of anything goes.

I'm pretty sure MS has clamped down on this. There were a few large influxes of spammy apps and a few "harmful" ones a bit ago, maybe earlier this year, but it's pretty rare now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there are still shitty apps, but those are in just about every ecosystem.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Battery life sucks man. Been using it lightly for 7-8 hours and it's already critically low.

Raistlin

For everyone freaking out about battery life ...

Unless you cannot live with it for the next few weeks, I recommend holding off on the return to see if there is any sort of statement regarding a fix. We have 30 days to return, and it's quite possible this is either a WP8 or Nokia FW problem as opposed to actual battery faults.

derder

I'm on an unlimited AT&T plan, if I sign up for another 2 years, I should be able to get this phone and keep my data plan, right?

NeOak

I'm on an unlimited AT&T plan, if I sign up for another 2 years, I should be able to get this phone and keep my data plan, right?

Yup, and our cap is 5GB on a LTE unlimited data.

For everyone freaking out about battery life ...

Unless you cannot live with it for the next few weeks, I recommend holding off on the return to see if there is any sort of statement regarding a fix. We have 30 days to return, and it's quite possible this is either a WP8 or Nokia FW problem as opposed to actual battery faults.

Also, restart the phone if its draining too fast. May fix it until whatever is draining the battery is loaded again.

Raistlin

For anyone with AT&T ... what sorts of LTE speeds are you getting?

At work I'm hitting a bit above 20mbs down, but I'm literally under a cell tower. I'll have to check what I'm getting around my house.

where was that link that discusses keeping xbox music from bringing up previous music?
What do you mean?

At work I'm hitting a bit above 20mbs down, but I'm literally under a cell tower. I'll have to check what I'm getting around my house.

How are you checking your speed? I'll check, just want to use the same test.

hwalker84

Any word on this from you veterans?

Also: Can I get battery % instead of (in addition to) the icon?

(The ringtones on this thing are garbage too--par to my old iPhone. =P)

One of my gripes that wasn't fixed. Should be able to set vibration as a notification and even different vibration patterns.

Don't think you can customize the vibration.

Look for the "Battery Level" app. Displays it as a percentage and you can display it on your lock screen.

cube444

Try an App called "Battery Level for Windows Phone 8". It has a little icon that you can pin to the start screen and you can also put it on your lock screen as an info button.

thirty

Banned

What do you mean?

i turned off cloud syncing and that seemed to work

Raistlin

How are you checking your speed? I'll check, just want to use the same test.
Oh I have the app BandWidth. It was taken down because of a cease & desist order by speedtest.net (which is lame considering they have given no indication the plan to release their own for WP7/8). If you already had the app previously you can still download it if you have the link. It was taken down like 6 months ago.

Not sure what other apps are of decent quality for this ... or if there are any mobile sites.

i turned off cloud syncing and that seemed to work
Were they songs you have on SkyDrive?

Sorry I wasn't following your posts and am unclear what the issue is.

Troll

Banned
Some pics I took in the backyard.

xvEqC.jpg
[/URL]

KdjRW.jpg

Dark pic of the doorway. Turned out a lot brighter than I thought it would.

I wish there was a way to turn off OIS so I could make some easy comparison pics. Saying "trust me, this was a really dark room" doesn't have the same impact as a direct comparison.

Troll

Banned
I wish there was a way to turn off OIS so I could make some easy comparison pics. Saying "trust me, this was a really dark room" doesn't have the same impact as a direct comparison.

That would be pretty cool. Or, I could just take a pic with my old focus but that's a lot of work.

Totakeke

Yes, everything submitted is screened for virus and malware unlike the Android store.

Milchjon

For all the newcomers, a nice little WP easter egg from GAF: If you go to the mobile front page, there's a button to pin GAF on the home screen with a nice tile.

Quikies83

How do I make the signal bar (LTE) at the top stay up at all times? I'd rather not touch the top of the bar each time I want to see the signal strength.

Bullza2o

Wow draining the battery really helped. I haven't charged since last night. Light usage all day and 21 hours later 66%. Of course, I turned off 4G LTE, high sensitivity, NFC, low brightness, and only WiFi was on. This is so much better than when I used my Samsung Focus.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, that doesn't sound right. Been using mine since 8:30 AM and I'm at 59%, with light-moderate use.

I'm thinking the battery is defective. Does depleting the battery and charging it to full help a lot?

Bullza2o

I'm thinking the battery is defective. Does depleting the battery and charging it to full help a lot?

Yes please do this! Last night I let the phone die naturally. I turned it on again and it was still working fine despite the battery being 0%, so clearly the battery was not calibrated in the system. I then used WP Bench to fully drain it, and it died after 2 minutes. I charged it to full and battery is fine now.

hwalker84

Wow draining the battery really helped. I haven't charged since last night. Light usage all day and 21 hours later 66%. Of course, I turned off 4G LTE, high sensitivity, NFC, low brightness, and only WiFi was on. This is so much better than when I used my Samsung Focus.

It seems to have helped mine but its too late. My replacement from ATT is on its way.

Top Bottom